[FM15] "I've Never Played for a Draw in my Life"

Cougar2010

Scotland

Raith Rovers

March 2017

Youth Intake

16 players arrive to be evaluated and first impression is that the intake is not as good as last year. There are a few players who harbour hope of making the first team in the future while midfielder Ross Holt is worthy of a mention as he seems ahead of the rest on current ability. The coaches pick out two players who they think have a brighter future than the rest – midfielder Andy Keenan & winger Andrew Crawford.

59%20Youth%20Intake%202017.png

60%20Crawford.png

Wednesday 1st March 2017 – Scottish Championship (29/36)

Raith Rovers (9th) 1-2 Dundee (1st)

Goals: Boyd (90) ; Berrocal (75), Benedictus (og 86)

MOTM: Berrocal (8.6) (Dundee)

Attendance: 2,686

Always going to be a tough match and that proves to be the case as Dundee look the more dangerous team. Despite this they don't really create anything of note while at the other end we have a couple of half chances. Dundee push more in the second half but we cope well until late in the game when Berrocal runs onto a flick on and slots in. As we push for an equaliser we get caught on the break with Berrocal left one on one with Laidlaw. He makes the save but in the scramble the ball finds its way in off Benedictus. We do grab a consolation when Boyd heads in a cross but another game that we don't take points from.

Saturday 4th March 2017 – Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)

Partick Thistle (Premiership) 3-0 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Lawless (27), Crivellaro (80), Wilson (90)

MOTM: Crivellaro (8.2) (Partick Thistle)

Another tough match and although we are under pressure early we cope well. Partick have the better of the first half mostly because our passing is terrible but in terms of chances the count is one half chance for us & three for Partick. Unfortunately Lawless fires one in to to give them the lead. With nothing of note in the second half we push for an equaliser and should have had it when a tackle in midfield sees Doughty released on a quick break only to blast over the bar. Two corners decide the match when we fail to clear both with Crivellaro & Wilson drill in through a crowd. Overall not a bad performance and we were unlucky to concede three but the defeats are doing nothing for confidence.

Manager News

The board call me in to discuss a new contract which is another one year deal. I ask them to drop the direct football philosophy and to my surprise they have no issues with it. I sign the new deal but I'm also sure that relegation could easily still see me sacked.

New contract: £4,800 a month until May 2018.

Training Injury

Ross Callachan (MC) – Out for about two weeks with a damaged heel.

Saturday 11th March 2017 – Scottish Championship (30/36)

Raith Rovers (9th) 1-0 Morton (8th)

Goals: Conroy (5)

MOTM: Conroy (8.3)

Attendance: 2,296

Its surely a must win game for us as we face fellow relegation candidates Morton. An even match where both teams have spells of pressure sees a good chance for each side and a couple of half chances. All are missed though as the game is decided early when Conroy fires in a freekick from the edge of the box.

International News

For the first time in a while we have some callups. Rory McKeown is in the Northern Irish squad for the first time since I took over at Raith while DL, Fiacre Kelleher (Republic of Ireland) & AMR, Joe Thomson (Scotland) are in the U21 squads. Finally two of our talented youngsters are recognised & included in the Scotland U19 squad – Steve McKenna (MC) & Andrew Young (DR).

Training Injury

Iain Flannigan (AMC) – Out for about three weeks with a chest injury.

Saturday 18th March 2017 – Scottish Championship (31/36)

Queen of the South (6th) 0-2 Raith Rovers (8th)

Goals: Murray (41, 64)

MOTM: Murray (8.8)

QOS start the better and come close when Miller hits the underside of the bar with a freekick, thankfully the ball comes down the right side of the line for us. A half chance follows before we take control of the match. We hit the woodwork twice, McCroary with a curled shot & Egan with a header before Murray plays Adeyemo in. One on one with the keeper I expected the net to bulge but the keeper gets something on it to deny him. Despite the misses it doesn't feel like the game is going away from us and when Adeyemo plays Murray in he gives us the lead before the break. We continue to control the match in the second half, Murray & Wilkie see good chances saved while Adeyemo hits the woodwork with a header before we finally have a cushion when Murray fires in a Thomson cross. We have few problems seeing out the match to climb away from the relegation zone. Five matches to go and we are now eight points ahead of Cowdenbeath & four ahead of Morton.

U20 Match Injury

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a pulled hamstring.

61%20League%20Table%20March%202017.png

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland

Raith Rovers

April 2017

Saturday 1st April 2017 – Scottish Championship (32/36)

Livingston (7th) 1-2 Raith Rovers (8th)

Goals: Dobbie (3) ; Egan (70), Robinson (85)

MOTM: Talbot (7.5) (Livingston)

We get caught out early when Dobbie finds himself free to head in a left wing cross but once the match settles we look the more threatening. Possession is even but Livingston offer nothing coming forward while we pressure the defence and test the keeper. Chances are hard to come by and Livingston nearly extend their lead when they hit the post from distance. We aren't playing great but we get some luck when a corner is deflected into the path of Egan at the far post who smashes in. With a bit of motivation we suddenly start looking for a winner and it comes from another corner when they fail to clear Robinson steps infield slipping the ball inside the far post to seal an important three points.

Club News

The win against Livingston was massive, it puts us 11 points ahead of Cowdenbeath with four games to go which means we've more or less avoided automatic relegation. The next target is to avoid the playoff – Morton are 4 points behind us while Livingston (1pt ahead) & Queen of the South (2pts ahead) are also getting dragged into the battle.

Training Injury

David Bates (DC/DR) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted ankle.

Saturday 8th April 2017 – Scottish Championship (33/36)

Raith Rovers (8th) 0-2 Hearts (1st)

Goals: Alston (1), Carrick (66)

MOTM: Alston (8.3) (Hearts)

Attendance: 3,502

Milestone: John Egan - 100th Career League Appearance

Hearts are battling Dundee for the title so I know we are in for a tough game and it gets worse when we are behind inside a minute as Alston casually steps forward placing a shot into the top corner from 25 yards. In hindsight this perhaps does us a favour as Hearts take a step back and let us have some possession. Adeyemo has our best sight of goal in the first half when his header is tipped over while Conroy should have equalised in the second only for his volley to hit the keeper on the line. Hearts are the better team though even if they haven't created many chances and snuff out any hope we have when Carrick flicks in a right wing cross. Not a good performance, not a bad performance but it feels like Hearts never got out of 3rd gear.

League News

The big six pointer at the bottom saw Morton beat Cowdenbeath which means Cowdenbeath are relegated. Next target is the playoff spot and Morton are just a point behind us now while Livingston have edged away a little by beating Kilmarnock. Its looking like its between Morton, Queens of the South and ourselves with three games left. No one has an easy run in although we still have to play Cowdenbeath while Morton's looks a little tougher as they play 1st, 4th & 5th.

Saturday 15th April 2017 – Scottish Championship (34/36)

Raith Rovers (8th) 2-0 Dumbarton (3rd)

Goals: Conroy (60), Boyd (76)

MOTM: Conroy (7.6)

Attendance: 2,051

Milestone: Michael Doughty - 100th Career League Appearance

Dumbarton have defied the odds this season and booked themselves a playoff place despite being the favourites for the drop pre-season. Despite this they are always a team I feel we can get something against and this match is no different. Dumbarton make the better start but once the match settles we are the team pressuring more. For all our shots we create just one half chance as Adeyemo sees a header saved while Dumbarton arguably have the best chance of the game when Frempah's clearance is blocked only for McCallum to blast wide. Both teams seem like they are just going through the motions and need a spark. It comes midway through the second half when Murray is played in, his shot is blocked but Conroy is quickest to react to give us the lead. Dumbarton try to respond but really both defences are in control before Boyd comes off the bench to slot in a rebound after another vicious Murray shot from the edge of the box. Its a good win for us with Morton, QOS & Livingston losing and maybe just enough to keep us in the division next season.

Saturday 22nd April 2017 – Scottish Championship (35/36)

Cowdenbeath (10th) 0-3 Raith Rovers (7th)

Goals: Conroy (38), Adeyemo (42), Kelleher (90)

MOTM: Kelleher (8.4)

Milestone: Fiacre Kelleher - 1st Career Goal

This is what it comes down to with a win guaranteeing we stay in the Championship next season. We make a positive start and pressure Cowdenbeath without really creating anything of note. Midway through the first half they switch to 352 which has an immediate effect and suddenly we are the team under pressure. With few chances at either end and against the run of play we take the lead when Adeyemo's shot is blocked with the ball rolling loose to Conroy in space who drills in. Minutes later its two when Adeyemo creates space for himself on the edge of the box and smashes a shot past the keeper. The second half is comfortable with Cowdenbeath offering little coming forward and we wrap up a good win in injury time when Egan connects with a corner although Kelleher gets the goal when the ball deflects in off him.

Saturday 29th April 2017 – Scottish Championship (36/36)

Raith Rovers (7th) 2-1 Motherwell (5th)

Goals: Conroy (pen 29), Barbour (og 41) ; Reilly (83)

MOTM: McCroary (7.9)

Attendance: 3,153

Milestone: Ryan Conroy - 50th Career League Goal

The last match of the season is a dead rubber for both teams so I make a few changes. We make a good start and match Motherwell for much of the first half. Luck goes our way when first a half cleared corner sees Callachan drive into the box winning a controversial penalty before a through ball later in the half sees Adeyemo, defender & keeper all go in for the ball with Barbour getting the last touch. Motherwell lift the game in the second half creating several chances with a mix of saves, off target shots & blocks stopping them from scoring. Had it not been the last game and we hadn't had a 2-0 lead I would have made changes but I'm a bit complacent letting the team see the game out. Reilly scores late from a narrow angle and that wakes me up as the team tighten up to end the season with a win.

Manager News

The good finish to the season sees me named 2nd in the “Manager of the Month”

Great finish! What do you think is realistic for next season? Going for a playoff spot?

Yeah, I think so.

With just 10 in the league the difference between relegation playoff in 9th & promotion playoff in 4th is fairly minimal.

We've improved massively since January with Adeyemo & Murray making a real difference. With more improvements over the summer the playoffs should definitely be a realistic target. I've already signed two bosmans which I'm quite excited about, O'Brien looks like a fantastic DM and has played really well in a poor Cowdenbeath team while I think I got real lucky with Obileye. He is arguably Premiership quality and it was just a case of right place, right time to pick up a 22yo stuck in a U21 team.

Scotland

Raith Rovers

2016/17 Season Review

Scottish Championship

Hearts, Dundee & Motherwell were supposed to be the big three teams in the division with Kilmarnock keeping them honest. In the end it turned into a two way fight for the title between Hearts & Dundee with Hearts coming out on top. Motherwell were disappointing as they finished 5th, outside the playoffs and behind both Kilmarnock & relegation favourites, Dumbarton. The playoffs saw Dumbarton continue to shock as they made it to the playoff final beating Falkirk on penalties to secure promotion to the Premiership.

Down at the bottom the pre-season odds suggested it could be close between the rest and for more or less all of the season the bottom three were ourselves, Morton & Cowdenbeath. Cowdenbeath lost their last ten matches to crash out of the division while we rescued our season after Xmas. That left Morton in the playoffs and they surprisingly lost heavily to Stranraer to lose their place in the Championship.

The board expected us to stay clear of automatic relegation and they were delighted that we achieved a mid-table position.

62%20Final%20League%20Table%20201617.png

Scottish Cup

Several big names crashed out early this season which opened the door for other clubs. Dundee Utd got the better of Partick Thistle in the first semi but their city rivals Dundee couldn't join them in the final as they were beaten by Hibernian in the second. The final went to penalties with Hibernian lifting the trophy for just the 3rd time.

We had a good run to the quarter finals which was two rounds better than the board expected so they were naturally delighted.

63%20Scottish%20Cup%202017.png

Scottish League Cup

The Premiership teams dominated the League Cup as they made up seven of the eight quarter finalists and all the semi finalists. One was an old firm derby as Celtic edged out Rangers while Aberdeen edged out Inverness CT in the other. The final went to penalties where Aberdeen triumphed lifting the Cup for the seventh time.

We matched the board expectation of reaching the second round which pleased them.

64%20League%20Cup%202017.png

Scottish League Challenge Cup

League 2 side Queen's Park made a good run to the semi finals before eventually falling to Motherwell in extra time. The other semi saw Dundee see off Cowdenbeath before going on to beat Motherwell to lift the Cup for the 3rd time.

We had a disappointing defeat in the 2nd round to League 2 side Peterhead but at least the board weren't bothered about the competition.

65%20League%20Challenge%20Cup%20201617.png

Awards

Scottish Championship Player of the Year: Stephen Dobbie (34yo Scottish ST) (Livingston)

Scottish Championship Team of the Season:

GK – Scott Bain (25yo Scottish GK) (Dundee)

DR – Paul McGinn (26yo Scottish DR/DC) (Dundee)

DL – Joe Chalmers (23yo Scottish DL) (Kilmarnock)

DC – Brad McKay (24yo Scottish DC/DR) (Hearts)

DC – Grant Hanley (25yo Scottish DC/DR) (Hearts)

MR – Mark Gilhaney (32yo Scottish MR/ML) (Dumbarton)

ML – Dylan Easton (23yo Scottish AMC/ML) (Cowdenbeath)

MC – Prince Buaben (29yo Ghanaian MRC) (Hearts)

MC – Joe McKee (24yo Scottish MC/DM, MR, ST) (Morton)

ST – Stephen Dobbie (34yo Scottish ST) (Livingston)

ST – Donald McCallum (20yo Scottish ST) (Dumbarton)

Raith Rovers Fans' Player of the Year: Ryan Conroy (70%) ahead of Ross Laidlaw (11%) & Ben Frempah (10%)

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

Ross Laidlaw continued as our number 1 and coped well with Championship level football. Joe McGovern was signed to provide competition but had a poor start which resulted in him sitting on the bench for most of the season. Joe doesn't seem to have as much potential as I had hoped but there were signs he might make a decent backup keeper at this level.

Ross Laidlaw (24yo Scottish GK) – 37 apps, 49 conceded, 13 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.81

Joe McGovern (23yo Northern Irish GK) – 7 apps, 16 conceded, 1 clean sheet, Ave Rating: 6.59

Fullbacks

On the left Rory McKeown is supposed to be one of the star players in the team but he had a very average season. The first half was broken up by three different injuries which resulted in him struggling for match fitness. After Xmas he did improve and found some form once he got regular football but there are still question marks over him at this level. Backing him up was new signing Fiacre Kelleher who played a little more football than I would have liked but he had a solid season and we saw significant improvement in him. On the right former captain, Jason Thomson returned in January and produced good form to contribute to our improvement. Pre-season signing Chris Mitchell played a backup role and despite his average looking ok he performed significantly better against lower level opposition. Homegrown 17yo Andrew Young also managed a few games but its clear he has a lot of work ahead of him yet.

Rory McKeown (24yo Northern Irish DL) – 19 (3) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.70

Fiacre Kelleher (21yo Irish DL) – 19 (4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.86

Jason Thomson (29yo Scottish DR/DL) – 13 apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.98

Chris Mitchell (28yo Scottish DR/MRC) – 19 (2) apps, 0 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 6.85

Andrew Young (17yo Scottish DR) – 2 (2) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.50

Central Defenders

I always had doubts over the size of Benedictus and his lack of aerial ability told at this level as he struggled against the better quality teams. Frempah was signed as a squad player at the beginning of the season but with Benedictus struggling and Brownlie leaving he grabbed his opportunity building a solid partnership with January signing John Egan. That left homegrown David Bates to play a backup role. He seems to have the skills & potential but simply lacks the height to play in the middle and I may have to cut our losses.

Kyle Benedictus (25yo Scottish DC) – 26 (4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.70

Ben Frempah (22yo Ghanaian DC) – 30 (1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.98

David Bates (20yo Scottish DC/DR) – 11 (6) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.63

John Egan (24yo Irish DC) – 15 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.91

Midfielders

Homegrown Ross Callachan was the constant in our midfield this season inbetween a couple of injuries. His form was hit & miss though and will need to improve if he wants to stay in the first team. Our lack of defensive type midfielders gave an opportunity to another homegrown youngster – 19yo Liam McCroary and he grabbed it with both hands putting in a solid season. With players leaving we lacked quality in midfield which saw Scott Robinson & Michael Doughty join in January. They played fairly well but I hope to get more out of them next season. This left Kyle Wilkie & Jordan Sinclair playing backups roles but both struggled while 16yo Steve McKenna made his debut with signs he could have a real future at the club.

Ross Callachan (23yo Scottish MC/AMC) – 26 (2) apps, 0 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.67

Liam McCroary (19yo Scottish DM/MC) – 25 (3) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.84

Kyle Wilkie (26yo Scottish MC/MR) – 12 (14) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.65

Scott Robinson (25yo Scottish MC/MR) – 11 (3) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.89

Jordan Sinclair (20yo Scottish MC/DM) – 10 (11) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.52

Michael Doughty (24yo Welsh MC/ML) – 8 (5) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.82

Steve McKenna (16yo Scottish MC/AMC) – 2 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Wingers

On the left Conroy had another good season despite a mid season spat over a fine which left Halsman somewhat in the shadows. He seems to struggle with fitness mainly because he is one of only a few left on a part time contract but when he did set foot on the pitch he didn't let anyone down. On the right loan signing Joe Thompson didn't live up to the high standards set by previous loanees and was largely disappointing. Iain Flannigan basically just picked up his wages for his last season at the club while another youngster Craig Malpas made his debut but still has a lot to learn.

Ryan Conroy (30yo Scottish ML) – 30 (3) apps, 10 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 6.92

Jordan Halsman (25yo Scottish DL, ML) - 12 (5) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.81

Joe Thomson (20yo Scottish AMRL) – 29 (5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Iain Flannigan (29yo Scottish AMC/AMRL) – 1 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.50

Craig Malpas (17yo Scottish ML) – 0 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.45

Strikers

Up front our goals dried up when our first choice pairing of Nade (Left) & Miller (Injured) weren't in the team. New signing Kris Boyd was disappointing as was supposedly talented Jordan Moore while Russell Dingwall did ok as a backup until injuries wrecked the second half of his season. I sought new firepower in January and we got it in the shape of Ola Adeyemo & Simon Murray whose goals dragged us away from the relegation zone.

Kris Boyd (33yo Scottish ST) – 11 (11) apps, 6 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.68

Jordan Moore (23yo Scottish ST/AMR) – 13 (4) apps, 0 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.54

Russell Dingwall (19yo Scottish ST) – 12 (12) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.67

Ola Adeyemo (22yo Irish ST/AMRL) – 14 apps, 9 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 7.26

Simon Murray (25yo Scottish (ST) – 16 (2) apps, 6 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 7.07

Scotland

Raith Rovers

Off-Season Report

FINANCES/CLUB NEWS

On the pitch might have gone well but off it the finances continued to worsen. The Scottish Cup 5th round against Aberdeen provided virtually 25% of our gate receipts this season and was a huge boost but unfortunately the quarter final against Partick Thistle didn't get anywhere near matching it. Gate income, season tickets, prize money & sponsorship all increased but so did wages and this led to a overall loss of £342k for the season which saw the bank go further into the red.

The board set the initial budgets: Transfer budget £0k & Wage budget £150k a month. No transfer budget but I do get a 50% increase to our wage budget which isn't really needed as we were only spending about 75% of last seasons. This will allow me to to move some of it into the transfer budget though to cover any loyalty/agent fees we want to pay. Wage wise we were paying around £75k a month this season but realistically if I want the club to turn a profit I can't spend more than that and ideally would need to reduce it.

Despite having a good season our reputation has oddly dropped slightly but looks more in line with where we are currently at. With the likes of St Johnstone, Falkirk, Dundee & Motherwell ahead of us we are now on a par with the other championship clubs. Turnover wise we are 8th in the division but only slightly behind the likes of Kilmarnock & Livingston while on value we are 5th with several clubs struggling off the field. Finally we did see a small rise in our average attendance last season to 2,577 but this is still significantly behind the 3,539 we got the last time we were in the Championship two seasons ago.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

I release five senior players at the end of their contracts as I look to take the club forward:

Kris Boyd (33yo Scottish ST) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 1 season, Apps: 22, Goals: 6, Assists: 2

Big name signing last season by the DOF on big wages. He was already declining when we signed him and another year on he is nothing more than a backup player for us.

Chris Mitchell (28yo Scottish DR/MRC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 1 season, Apps: 21, Goals: 0, Assists: 6

Did ok in some games but struggled against the better teams and we simply need more quality to improve.

Iain Flannigan (29yo Scottish AMC/AMRL) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 2 seasons, Apps: 23, Goals: 2, Assists: 2

Should have been released last season but the DOF gave him a new one year deal.

Jordan Halsman (25yo Scottish DL, ML) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 2 seasons, Apps: 46, Goals: 3, Assists: 6

Tough one as he generally gave a good account of himself on the pitch but like Mitchell struggled against the bigger teams and if we want to improve some players fall by the wayside.

David Bates (20yo Scottish DC/DR) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 4 seasons, Apps: 32, Goals: 2, Assists: 0

Homegrown youngster who made it to the fringe of the first team but his lack of height was always an issue. I tried to use him at fullback but it just didn't suit him which left me out of options.

With the initial wave of releases over I get a chance to evaluate the squad. Up front I would be happy to get rid of Jordan Moore who has constantly underperformed while we have too many average MCs. Kyle Wilkie is clearly going to struggle to get in the team next season while 20yo's Rhys Craigie & Greg Docherty have been surpassed by other youngsters. Another 20yo Jordan Sinclair is possibly worth another season but I need to see some improvement and if an offer comes in he could well move on.

In terms of interest from other clubs our Northern Irish International DL, Rory McKeown is being watched by both Falkirk & Ross County while talented 17yo MC Steve McKenna has St Mirren sniffing around him.

No offers arrive on the table but the friendlies create a little more interest. Falkirk are clearly after a DC as they are watching both Kyle Benedictus & Ben Frempah while Russell Dingwall is also attracting their attention. Dundalk are thinking about tempting Ola Adeyemo back to Ireland while Inverness CT are the latest Premiership club to look at Steve McKenna.

Finally an offer comes in and its Falkirk who make a move for Kyle Benedictus. Its not an easy choice but his lack of height is becoming more of an issue and he is struggling against the bigger teams. He is going to be behind Frempah, Obileye & Egan in the pecking order this season while his retraining to DR is not going well. With a year left on his contract it seems to be the sensible decision to let him go and it will allow 17yo Lewis Hodge to come in as a 4th choice DC:

Kyle Benedictus (25yo Scottish DC) – Sold to Falkirk for £6k

Time at Raith: 2 seasons, Apps: 69, Goal: 1, Assists: 2

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

I agreed two bosman deals earlier in the year and they join the squad:

Thomas O'Brien (25yo Scottish DM/DC, MC) – Signed on a bosman from Cowdenbeath

Homegrown by our local rivals Cowdenbeath where he has gone on to make over 150 appearances for them. The fans are concerned we signed him from a rival club but I see a player who has been solid & consistent for them over the last three seasons. He compete with our own Liam McCroary for the ball winning role in the team.

66%20OBrien.png

Ayo Obileye (22yo English DC/MC) – Signed on a bosman from Charlton (English Championship)

Started his career at Sheffield Wednesday before moving on to Charlton. A handful of good performances along with impressive loan spells at Dagenham & Redbridge, Tranmere & Exeter caught my eye. Strong in the air he should be competing with Frempah & Egan for the starting roles whilst also providing a third option as a holding midfielder.

67%20Obileye.png

With those two arriving its time to make a shopping list – Initially it looks like we need a DR, a ML & two MRs while we'll also need a ST if we get rid of Moore.

I've had the scouts working hard but I'm less than impressed with the results. We have plenty of options but many aren't much better than what we have while others have several negatives which put me off.

For the DR role I offer trials to Northern Irish international, Conor McLaughlin (Released by Fleetwood) & 28yo Italian Matteo Lanzoni (Released by Cambridge) but I'm seriously considering just promoting 18yo Andrew Young from the U20 squad.

Its a similar story at ML where we are looking at 20yo Josh Beattie (Released by St Mirren) & 20yo Mekhi Leacock-McLeod (Released by Gloucester). Alternatively I am considering loaning 22yo Michael Duffy from Celtic or simply promoting 17yo Craig Malpas to provide cover with Michael Doughty & Kyle Wilkie also able to play on the left.

The right hand side is a bigger problem though as it has been for the last couple of seasons. We technically have no MRs although I'm leaning towards using Scott Robinson as one option with Kyle Wilkie providing cover across the midfield. We would still need one MR though and options seem to be a possible loan for 20yo Conor Hogg (Hibernian) or Joe Thomson (Celtic) again while I offer trials to 25yo Alex Cooper (Released by Dundee) & 24yo David Smith (Released by Falkirk).

An alternative option for us would be to use a wingback formation more often reducing the need for wingers in the squad.

The trialists come & go as I'm not impressed with Cooper & Smith on the wings while I would have liked to sign McLaughlin or Lanzoni for DR but both wanted far too much money. This leaves my options much more limited and I decide its a case of better the devil you know as two loanees arrive for the season from Celtic:

Joe Thomson (20yo Scottish AMRL) – On loan from Celtic for the season

Was with us last season where he was very average but a year on I hope he has improved and with less pressure on him to perform I hope we get more from him.

69%20Joe%20Thompson.png

Michael Duffy (22yo Northern Irish AML/AMC) – On loan from Celtic for the season

Michael is a former Northern Irish U21 international who has had solid spells on loan in Championship for the past two seasons with first Livingston & then Kilmarnock. I'm looking for him to provide an alternative to Conroy on the left while also providing another MC option when we play with wingbacks. He is also in the last year of his contract which Celtic don't look like renewing so if he does well we may look to sign him.

70%20Duffy.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

Pre-Season Friendlies (2017/18)

Airdrie (League 1) 1-3 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Preston (28) ; Conroy (pen 12), Adeyemo (14), Doughty (76)

MOTM: Adeyemo (8.3)

A testing start to the pre-season schedule but we coped well. A long throw sees Frempah bundled over in the box while Adeyemo makes it two from the edge of the box. Airdrie responded when a Preston is left with a tap in after a freekick hits the bar but generally they only threatened from set pieces. Doughty wrapped up the win when a Murray cross is allowed to go all the way to the back post.

Rotherham Utd (English League 1) 2-0 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Hall-Johnson (23), Sacconi (28)

MOTM: Hall-Johnson (7.7) (Rotherham)

We make a decent start but find ourselves behind when we fail to clear a corner. A lack of concentration makes it worse soon after as the defence are caught ball watching. We improve though, especially in the second half and match Rotherham without really threatening to score.

Whitby (English Non-League) 0-0 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals:

MOTM: Pierpoint (7.1) (Whitby)

A mix of unfit youngsters, trialists & fringe players take to the field in a match we should be winning comfortably. It doesn't work out that way though as Whitby match us for long periods with both sides failing to find the net from the few chances they create.

Cliftonville (Northern Irish Premiership) 1-3 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: McDaid (60) ; Murray (1), McKeown (pen 11), Abileye (27)

MOTM: Obileye (8.1)

We make a good start with Murray at the centre of things. First he turns and fires in inside the first minute before winning a penalty when he drives into the box. A long throw sees the ball flicked on for Abileye to make a three as we are cruising. Cliftonville improve after the break and the second half is much more even with McDaid pulling one back when he flicks in a cross but we always have an element of control.

Scotland

Raith Rovers

Preview 2017/18 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

With the DOF gone I've had full control over transfers and we seem to be moving in the right direction. We have a number of talented youngsters in the U20s and I'm trying to find the right time to introduce them to the main squad. They need game time to improve but I also don't want it to have a major affect on our results. With plenty of time until the transfer window closes I don't have to make up my mind just yet and I may still opt to add some more experienced players.

In terms of formations its as you were with a 442, 41221/451 and the 352 (wingbacks). For the most part we used 442 last season but with the lack of good wingers I'm going to try to use the 352 more this year.

With Kris Boyd leaving we need a new captain and we have more options than usual. Youngsters Steve McKenna & Lewis Hodge will be good captains in the future but they are still a little young. Ross Laidlaw has been the vice captain for the past couple of seasons while our previous captain Jason Thomson has returned. John Egan & Scott Robinson are also in the mix but in the end its a return to the past as I name Jason Thomson as the captain with Ross Laidlaw continuing as vice captain.

Goalkeepers

No change in goal as Ross Laidlaw continues as first choice while I'm looking for Joe McGovern to give him more of a contest this season. I also have the feeling though that Laidlaw is reaching the limit of his ability and to take the club forward I may have to look for a new no 1.

Ross Laidlaw (25yo Scottish GK) – Vice Captain

Joe McGovern (23yo Northern Irish GK)

Fullbacks

No change on the left with McKeown getting pushed for the starting role by Kelleher. Thomson picks up where he left off on the right with 18yo Andrew Young promoted from the U20s for backup but I'm still considering signing another DR.

Rory McKeown (24yo Northern Irish DL)

Fiacre Kelleher (21yo Irish DL)

Jason Thomson (29yo Scottish DR/DL) - Captain

Andrew Young (18yo Scottish DR)

Central Defence

John Egan & Ben Frempah ended last season as my first choice partnership but they'll be pushed this season by new signing Ayo Obileye. With Benedictus leaving 17yo Lewis Hodge could be given a chance while O'Brien can also cover from midfield but I may look to sign another DC before the window closes.

Ben Frempah (22yo Ghanaian DC)

John Egan (24yo Irish DC)

Ayo Obileye (22yo English DC/MC)

Lewis Hodge (17yo Scottish DC)

Central Midfield

We are extemely well stocked in midfield and some players are going to struggle to get game time this season. The holding role is a little more organised where Liam McCroary has competition from new signing Thomas O'Brien while Obileye can offer cover from DC as can some of the more attacking MCs. Further forward the three main names are Callachan, Robinson & Doughty who will all get plenty of time on the pitch although Doughty (left) & Robinson (right) will spend some of their time out wide. Backing them up are Kyle Wilkie & Jordan Sinclair while 20yo's Rhys Craigie & Greg Docherty are still contracted to the club but I'm trying to move them on. We also have talent in the U20s where Steve McKenna, Andy Keenan & Ross Holt are all starting to push for a first team squad place.

Ross Callachan (23yo Scottish MC/AMC)

Scott Robinson (25yo Scottish MC/MR)

Michael Doughty (24yo Welsh MC/ML)

Thomas O'Brien (25yo Scottish DM/DC, MC)

Jordan Sinclair (21yo Scottish MC/DM)

Liam McCroary (20yo Scottish DM/MC)

Kyle Wilkie (26yo Scottish MC/MRL)

Steve McKenna (17yo Scottish MC/AMC)

Rhys Craigie (20yo Scottish MC)

Greg Docherty (20yo Scottish MC/AMC)

Wingers

On the left Conroy is supported by loan signing Michael Duffy while on the right Joe Thomson returns on loan. We have no other natural MRs but I'm planning on using Scott Robinson much more out wide while Kyle Wilkie can also cover.

Ryan Conroy (30yo Scottish ML)

Michael Duffy (22yo Northern Irish AML/AMC) – On Loan

Joe Thomson (20yo Scottish AMRL) – On Loan

Forwards

Up front its more or less the same as we finished last season. Our two January signings are the starters – Adeyemo & Murray and they are backed up by Moore & Dingwall. I'm trying to move Moore on and he may be replaced by the time the transfer window shuts while 16yo Ryan Watson & 17yo Cameron McCann are the pick of the U20s although its probably a little too soon for them.

Simon Murray (25yo Scottish ST)

Ola Adeyemo (22yo Irish ST/AMRL)

Jordan Moore (23yo Scottish ST)

Russell Dingwall (20yo Scottish ST)

The board announced their expectations for the season and there is a rise in the league expectation but the cups stay the same. Overall I'm relatively happy with them and they seem achieveable.

Scottish Championship: Mid-Table

Scottish Cup: 4th Round

Scottish League Cup: 2nd Round

Scottish League Challenge Cup: Not Important

Scottish Championship Preview

The odds for the Championship are a lot closer this season and it could be a good battle. Relegated St Johnstone are slight favourites for the title but are expected to be pushed close by the relegated Falkirk along with Dundee, Motherwell & Kilmarnock. We are sort of in no-mans land in the middle ahead of Livingston & promoted Dunfermline while Queen of the South could well be in trouble fighting it out with promoted Stranraer at the bottom.

We are expected to finish 6th and I think thats a fair reflection. A good season could easily see us challenging for a playoff spot while a bad season will have us fighting against the drop.

68%20League%20Odds.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

July/August 2017

Player News

We start the season with just the one injury concern:

Fiacre Kelleher (DL) – Recovering from a twisted knee, about two weeks left.

In terms of transfers up front I'm still trying to move Jordan Moore on, if I succeed we would need a replacement while I may also try to bring in a quality GK leaving Laidlaw & McGovern as backup. This leaves the defence which looks a little weak with both 18yo Andrew Young (DR) & 17yo Lewis Hodge (DC) in the first team squad and I would like to add a more experienced DC or DR before the window shuts.

Saturday 29th July 2017 – Scottish League Challenge Cup (1st Round)

Alloa Athletic (League 1) 2-1 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Hynd (42), Spence (87) ; Murray (54)

MOTM: Tidser (9.0) (Alloa)

Milestone: Michael Duffy – Debut for Raith Rovers

With the squad still working on match fitness a mixed team takes to the field with McGovern (DK), McCroary (MC) & Dingwall (ST) all given a chance. We play the better football in the first half without really threatening the goal while Alloa only offer shots from distance until a half chance out of nothing sees Hynd find a way past McGovern. We press on in the second half with Murray equalising when he nicks the ball off a defender trying to control it. Dingwall, Murray & Adeyemo all miss great chances to put us in front while Dingwall, McCroary & Conroy all pick up knocks. With extra time looming we are kicked in the teeth when a freekick sees Spence with time to bring the ball down and smash past McGovern. Gutted to go out as Alloa scored two from three half chances while we racked up 5 CCCs and another 3 half chances.

Club News

Season ticket sales have been announced and we've seen a slight increase from 1,037 last season to 1,052.

Transfer News

Kilmarnock make a cheeky loan bid for Adeyemo which I swiftly dismiss while I do get rid of a player on loan as 20yo MC Greg Docherty joins Annan Athletic (League 1) for the rest of the season.

Saturday 5th August 2017 – Scottish League Cup (1st Round)

Stirling Albion (League 2) 0-2 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Adeyemo (27, 84)

MOTM: Adeyemo (8.8)

Milestone: Ayo Obileye – Debut for Raith Rovers

Milestone: Thomas O'Brien – Debut for Raith Rovers

I rotate for arguably the easier of the cup games with new signings Obileye (DC) & O'Brien (MC) starting along with youngsters Dingwall (ST) & Young (DR). We dominate the match from start to finish as Stirling only manage three shots the entire game. Adeyemo made up for missing a golden chance early on with a turn & shot in the first half before adding a late second heading in a Young cross. We created plenty and should have won comfortably, we need to be more clinical in the league else we'll be in trouble. One other point of note is despite Young providing an assist he doesn't look ready for first team action quite yet and I need to seriously consider signing another DR.

Saturday 12th August 2017 – Scottish Championship (1/36)

Raith Rovers 2-1 Stranraer

Goals: Murray (45), Conroy (pen 52) ; Fotheringham (87)

MOTM: Obileye (7.7)

Attendance: 2,486

Stranraer make the better start as complancency rears its head but I make early tweaks which seems to work as we take control. Adeyemo is proving to be a good outlet for us as we have plenty of possession and shots without really creating chances. Just before the break a deep freekick sees the ball nodded down to Murray who directs in to give us the lead. Its two early in the second half when a long throw sees Obileye bundled over in the box as we seem to be cruising to the win. I've already seen the team get away with a few reckless challenges and the referee finally sees one too many as Obileye sees red for a trip which puts us under pressure for the last 10 minutes. Again we seem to be coping until a lazy back header sees Frempah head into the path of Fotheringham but this seems to give the team focus as we shut down the rest of the match.

Saturday 19th August 2017 – Scottish Championship (2/36)

Kilmarnock (2nd) 0-1 Raith Rovers (4th)

Goals: O'Brien (70)

MOTM: O'Brien (8.2)

Milestone: Thomas O'Brien - 1st Goal for Raith Rovers

With Kilmarnock lining up 352 its a good opportunity for us to do the same with some of the wingers looking tired. O'Brien drops back to replace the suspended Obileye in defence while Kelleher makes his first start of the season after injury on the left. Kilmarnock perhaps edge the first half with both defences looking stretched but dealing with the ball when it comes into the box. A couple of half chances is the closest Kilmarnock come before Murray sees a great chance saved when the ball is slid through to him just before the break. He sees another good chance blocked early in the second half before both defences take over and look in control. Subs seem to give us a slight edge and O'Brien gives us the lead when he heads in a wide freekick. Adeyemo comes off the bench to hit the post from the edge of the box while Dingwall comes close as we finish the stronger to seal a good win.

Saturday 26th August 2017 – Scottish Championship (3/36)

Raith Rovers (2nd) 2-1 Livingston (7th)

Goals: Adeyemo (7), Murray (74) ; Lindsay (80)

MOTM: Murray (8.3)

Attendance: 2,786

We make a good start with Adeyemo putting a good chance into the side netting early on. He soon makes up for it though as he gets in front of his marker to direct in Jason Thomson's cross. Steady play sees us in control for much of the match as Livingston only manage a few long shots. Just as I'm thinking about subbing Murray he sidesteps a defender and with a sublime effort finds the far corner. This seems to wake Livingston up and its a case of whatever Murray can do so can Lindsay as he drills a shot inside the post from 30 yards. I make some tweaks and tighten up as we snuff out any thoughts Livingston had of getting something from the match.

Match Injury

Ryan Conroy (ML) – Out for about 10 days with a stubbed toe.

Tuesday 29th August 2017 – Scottish League Cup (2nd Round)

Dundee (Championship) 1-0 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Johnstone (2)

MOTM: Konrad (7.8) (Dundee)

As we've matched the board expectation I take the opportunity to give several fringe players a game including another chance for Andrew Young at DR. The first shot of the match sees us behind though when Johnstone is given too much space with his snapshot finding its way past McGovern. It doesn't really do Dundee any favours though as they settle back into defensive mode which allows us to control the match. Adeyemo should have equalised when Callachan drives into the box before laying the ball off but his shot is saved at full stretch by the keeper. Luck seems to have deserted us as Obileye sees one good header saved before hitting the post with another while Robinson also hits the post from a narrow angle. The second half is more of the same as Dingwall heads against the post when he should have scored while Callachan rattles the bar from the edge of the box. Can't fault the team for effort as Dundee hold on to claim a really lucky win.

Transfer News

Young has done ok at DR but I wouldn't want to rely on him if Thomson was injured so I've been scouting DRs and after another failed attempt to agree terms with Conor McLaughlin who we had on trial I decided its time to look elsewhere. Three names made the shortlist and strangely enough they are all Irish – Adam Thompson (24yo Northern Irish DR//DC) & Lanre Oyebanjo (27yo Irish DR/MR) who are both unattached along with Nathan Benson (19yo Irish DR/MR) who is on non-contract terms with Shamrock Rovers.

With most of the scout reports complete its time to review as all three have positives & negatives. I like Benson who has a good mentality but he is much more of an attacking fullback with question marks over his consistency and defending + he is already contracted to a club. Thompson is a well rounded player with room to improve but he is fairly poor in the air and is weaker mentally. That leaves Oyebanjo who seems to be the pick on the basis that he doesn't have as many negatives:

Lanre Oyebanjo (27yo Irish DR/MR) – Unattached

He might be Irish but Oyebanjo was born in London with his first club being the semi pro, Waltham Forest. He moved on to St Albans & Brentford before making his breakthrough at Histon. Three years there were followed by three years at York City & three years at Crawley Town in the English lower leagues before being released in the summer. He hasn't really impressed at any of his previous clubs but he hasn't disappointed either and brings over 300 games of experience with him. An athletic player with decent skills for his position he should make a good addition to the squad.

71%20Oyebanjo.png

With the transfer window about to close four players are attracting interest. Inverness CT (Premiership) are still following 17yo MC Steve McKenna, Northern Irish International DL Rory McKeown is being watched by Falkirk (Championship) while Kilmarnock are taking an interest in transfer listed Jordan Moore (ST). The odd one of the four is Northern Irish GK, Joe McGovern who has New Zealand's Wellington Phoenix showing major interest in him.

I offer Jordan Moore out on deadline day but no offers come in as most of my time is taken up with loan deals. With Oyebanjo joining 18yo Andrew Young goes out on loan to Albion Rovers (League 2) while I also loan out 17yo MC Steve McKenna to Clyde (League 1) to stave off interest from a growing number of Premiership clubs. Two other talented youngsters also go out on loan - 17yo Craig Malpas (ML) joins Brechin City (League 2) while 16yo ST Ryan Watson heads to Montrose (League 2). At the last minute I also arrange a loan deal for 20yo MC Rhys Craigie who joins Watson at Montrose.

Transfer Window Roundup

It was a really busy transfer window in the Championship with plenty of money being spent but it was mostly for players leaving as only relegated Falkirk spent a significant amount. Kilmarnock were involved in the biggest deal as St Mirren (Premiership) paid them £300k for a DC while Motherwell's money problems caught up with them as they sold three important players for over £500k. Dundee made over £200k from the sale of three players with their two Spanish players returning to Spain while relegated St Johnstone also made nearly £200k including the biggest inter-division move as they sold a 22yo MC to Falkirk.

Relegated Falkirk were by far the most active though with 19 players leaving for a total of £662k while they brought in 14 players for a total of £270k.

Manager News

A perfect start to the league campaign sees me named “Manager of the Month”

72%20League%20Table%20August%202017.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

September 2017

Saturday 2nd September 2017 – Scottish Championship (4/36)

Motherwell (9th) 1-3 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Serrano (pen 19) ; Murray (2), Doughty (32), McKeown (44)

MOTM: Murray (9.0)

Failure to win promotion back to the Premiership has cost Motherwell as they have money troubles and have lost many of their better players. With no wins from three we have hope of a positive result and we make a flying start when Adeyemo plays in Murray. Complacency rears its head as we gift control of the match to Motherwell and they equalise when Jason Thomson sticks his foot in to win the ball in the box. The penalty might have been harsh but its the way the match was going. Against the run of play Doughty heads in to put us back in the lead before McKeown fires in a freekick to give us a cushion. After I give the team a kick we improve in the second half and although Motherwell finish stronger we cope fairly well in defence. Overall the match was fairly even but with more focus it should have been a steady win rather than the lucky one it was.

Saturday 16th September 2017 – Scottish Championship (5/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 4-1 Dunfermline Athletic (8th)

Goals: Murray (31, 53), Callachan (pen 38), Obileye (63) ; Graham (46)

MOTM: Murray (9.2)

Attendance: 5,310

Milestone: Lewis Hodge – Debut for Raith

Milestone: Ayo Obileye - 1st Goal for Raith

Our first derby match of the season has its benefits as we get a massive crowd while with Dunfermline lining up 352 it gives us another chance to do the same. Its a good start as we look the more positive in the first half and have the lead when an Oyebanjo cross sees Murray flick a header past the keeper. Soon after its two when Adeyemo is tripped trying to get on the end of left wing cross with Callachan confidently slotting in the penalty. We get caught at the start of the second half when Graham is given too much space in the box but confidence shows as the team aren't phased. Murray heads in another cross to restore the cushion before flicking on a long throw for Obileye to volley in. One thing I noticed this match was how big the current team is with McKeown the only one on the pitch under 6 foot and he is also a threat in the air. Add in long throws from both fullbacks and we are a huge threat from set pieces at the moment.

Training Injury

Kyle Wilkie (MRC) – Out for 6/7 weeks with a sprained ankle

Saturday 23rd September 2017 – Scottish Championship (6/36)

St Johnstone (3rd) 1-2 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Wotherspoon (80) ; Murray (2, 23)

Murray has been on fire in recent weeks and this match is no different as he gets on the end of two crosses to establish a lead for us. St Johnstone edge possession and create a couple of chances but Laidlaw gets a hand to both to keep them out. Late in the game Wotherspoon fires in a freekick but we hold on to take the points.

Club News

The Celtic manager approaches me unhappy about the amount of playing time I've given Joe Thomson. I fob him off as best I can and we agree to disagree. The bottom line is I only really need him for cover on the wings and as we make more use of 352 its less than normal. I may even look to return him in January if it looks like 352 will become the more common formation for us.

Saturday 30th September 2017 – Scottish Championship (7/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 2-0 Dundee (2nd)

Goals: Adeyemo (38), Dingwall (83)

MOTM: Adeyemo (7.6)

Attendance: 3,412

The 352 is working really well for us as the players get used to it. Solid defensively and we are finding a way to threaten going forwards. With Dundee only offering a few shots from distance we control the match and Murray turns provider this week as Adeyemo gives us the lead. With just the single goal lead it gets a little nervy late on but Dingwall comes off the bench to break his goal drought and seal seven wins out of seven in the league.

Player/Manager News

Almost a clean sweep of the awards this month – I claim “Manager of the Month”, Ayo Obileye is the “Young Player of the Month”, Michael Doughty comes 3rd in the “Player of the Month” and Simon Murray is the “Player of the Month”.

73%20League%20Table%20Sep%202017.png

Doing nicely this time around.

Do you feel your time at Raith is coming to an end yet?

No, not yet.

The board are good to work for with realistic expectations and not demanding at all.

In terms of the club with the likes of Falkirk, Dundee, Hearts, St Johnstone etc all having been in the Prem I think we can at least compete and become an established Prem club with more money in the bank.

As for jobs I've never been linked with any so far which seems a little odd as there have been some available at bigger Championship & lower Prem clubs, or even any English ones. I suspect not having a coaching badge is partly the reason but hopefully once the club get some money they'll let me take them.

Scotland

Raith Rovers

October 2017

Saturday 7th October 2017 – Scottish Championship (8/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 3-0 Queen of the South (8th)

Goals: O'Brien (28), Murray (36), McKeown (50)

MOTM: Duffy (9.0)

Attendance: 2,731

Home vs QOS has gone from being a match we hope to get something from to a match we expect to win. I rotate the squad a little with loan signing Duffy getting a chance as the playmaker at MCL as I rest Doughty while Dingwall starts up front. Its a confident performance from start to finish as we control the match and score the goals. O'Brien opens the scoring with a vicious volley when Duffy nods the ball down to him on the edge of the box before a long ball into the channel sees Dingwall cross for Murray to again prove how good he is at directing headers. Duffy turns creator again in the second half when he plays McKeown in who smashes the ball against the underside of the bar from a narrow angle to seal the win. With 24pts we already have more than half the points we got in the whole of last season.

Club News

Scottish Cup 3rd Round draw – Away to Forres Mechanics (Non-League) or Whitehill Welfare (Non-League)

Saturday 21st October 2017 – Scottish Championship (9/36)

Falkirk (4th) 1-1 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Vaughan (3) ; Murray (89)

MOTM: Murray (8.1)

Milestone: Ross Laidlaw (GK) - 100th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Jason Thomson (DRL) - 150th Appearance for Raith

The International break didn't do us any favours while an old name comes back to haunt us early on as Lewis Vaughan (On loan from Rangers) heads in an early cross. Falkirk really put us under pressure in the early stages but once we find our rhythm we take control and Dingwall should have equalised before the break. We are the better team in the second half as we push on but we leave it late with Murray coming off the bench to rescue a point for us when he finds the far corner on a tight angle. Our win streak might be gone but we are still unbeaten in the league and its a fantastic start to the campaign.

Saturday 28th October 2017 – Scottish Championship (10/36)

Stranraer (9th) 1-1 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Robertson (10) ; Murray (pen 19)

MOTM: McKeown (7.3)

Our passing is dreadful at the start as we gift Stranraer possession time after time. As a result we end up defending early on and giving up set pieces, one of which costs us when we fail to clear a corner with Robertson forcing in. With a couple of tweaks we improve and when Murray turns a defender in the box he gets brought down. It gives us an equaliser but the bigger problem for Stranraer is it puts them down to 10 men less than 20 minutes into the match. We control the rest of the game and press for a winner. Long throws cause Stranraer a lot of problems and we hit the post twice but in the end we have to settle for a disappointing draw.

Player News

Simon Murray's form has continued as he comes 2nd in the “Player of the Month” award.

74%20League%20Table%20Oct%202017.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

November 2017

Illness

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for about a week with food poisoning.

Saturday 4th November 2017 – Scottish Cup (3rd Round)

Forres Mechanics (Non-League) 0-4 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Adeyemo (15, 57, 67), Moore (81)

MOTM: Adeyemo (9.6)

Several fringe players take to the field against non-league opposition including Jordan Moore up front with Dingwall both injured and in poor form. Its a straight forward match with Adeyemo opening the scoring when played in by Duffy, he makes it two by heading in Moore's cross and completes his hattrick with a neat turn & shot. Moore wraps up a solid win running onto a long ball and slotting in.

Club News

Scottish Cup 4th Round draw – Away to Hearts (Premiership)

Wednesday 8th November 2017 – Scottish Championship (11/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 2-1 Kilmarnock (6th)

Goals: Obileye (8), Hamill (og 35) ; Clingan (1)

MOTM: Slater (7.1) (Kilmarnock)

Attendance: 2,688

Milestone: Michael Duffy (AMLC) - 100th Career League Appearance

Kilmarnock make a flying start drawing a double save out of Laidlaw from the whistle. I thought that was danger gone but from the resulting throw the ball eventually comes to Clingan who drills in. We respond with our long throws a weapon and when Kilmarnock don't clear its Obileye that forces the ball in. Another long throw puts us in front as this time it goes to Doughty on the edge of the box, he rattles the bar but when the ball drops it bounces in off Hamill. Kilmarnock also switch to 352 for a fairly even second half but with neither team finding the net we hold on for the win.

Saturday 11th November 2017 – Scottish Championship (12/36)

Livingston (9th) 1-1 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Cairney (34) ; Adeyemo (1)

MOTM: Lindsay (8.0) (Livingston)

We make a flying start to the match when McKeown bursts down the left from kickoff and delivers a low cross against the six yard box for Adeyemo to direct in on 12 seconds. The second round of matches are proving more difficult though as the other clubs get to grips with us and this one is no different as Livingston work their way into the match. A couple of half chances are saved by Laidlaw before Cairney dances past two defenders before forcing a shot in to equalise. Both defences are more in control in the second half as neither team really look like winning.

Saturday 25th November 2017 – Scottish Championship (13/36)

Dunfermline Athletic (4th) 2-0 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Cawley (9), Falkingham (85)

MOTM: Graham (7.8) (Dunfermline)

Early goals seem to be a thing at the moment as we find ourselves behind as Dunfermline make the better start. The rest of the match is fairly even with both teams getting into good positions but struggling to create good chances. I switch to 442 in the second half as I look to change things up but it makes no difference. As we push for the equaliser we get caught on the break with Falkingham adding a second to consign us to defeat. It feels like a loss has been coming in recent weeks but its annoying its come in a derby match against our fierce rivals.

Wednesday 29th November 2017 – Scottish Championship (14/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 4-1 Motherwell (4th)

Goals: Doughty (2), Conroy (pen 5, 22), Egan (59) ; McMullan (82)

MOTM: Egan (9.0)

Attendance: 2,831

I switch back to 442 which means Conroy starting on the left and Celtic happy that Joe Thomson is on the right. Its another game with early goals as we blow Motherwell away in the opening minutes. Doughty opens the scoring when he plays a one-two with Adeyemo before placing the ball wide of the keeper and its two when Egan goes down at a corner winning a soft penalty. With Motherwell all over the place and play on the right of the field Doughty switches the ball to the unmarked Conroy who slots in for three. Towards the end of the half Motherwell come into the match and the second half is much more even. Egan heads in a corner for four before Motherwell finally create a late chance when McMullan steps past Obileye.

75%20League%20Table%20Nov%202017.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

December 2017

Saturday 2nd December 2017 – Scottish Cup (4th Round)

Hearts (Premiership) 2-1 Raith Rovers (Championship)

Goals: Carrick (79), Moore (84) ; Conroy (10)

MOTM: Conroy (8.3)

Board expectations met, away to a Premiership team so there are several fringe players on the field. We take a surprise lead when Conroy drills a freekick through the wall and then defend it like crazy. Hearts have the better of the match but it takes them 60 minutes to create a chance. That one is blasted wide but we aren't so lucky with two later chances as Hearts steal a win. Disappointed to lose so late but it was still a good effort from the team.

Saturday 9th December 2017 – Scottish Championship (15/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 1-4 St Johnstone (7th)

Goals: Conroy (pen 1) ; O'Halloran (4, 52), Doran (pen 29), Boyd (35)

MOTM: O'Halloran (9.3) (St Johnstone)

Attendance: 2,970

Its a flying start as Adeyemo gets caught just inside the box for a soft penalty but thats as good as it gets for us. A hopeful cross minutes later sees O'Halloran volley in before the ref returns the favour with a controversial penalty later in the half. When Boyd adds a third as he steps inside the defender we fall apart and offer nothing in the second half as St Johnstone cruise to an easy win. Really disappointing performance after matching them for the first half hour.

Saturday 16th December 2017 – Scottish Championship (16/36)

Dundee (2nd) 1-0 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Adam (43)

MOTM: Letheren (7.7) (Dundee)

A top of the table clash is not what we need with form & confidence on the slide. Despite our passing being terrible we actually have more possession and should have had an early lead when Adeyemo squares for O'Brien to drill a shot from just inside the box but the keeper manages to palm it away. We give up another controversial penalty midway through the first half but this time its blasted wide. Just before the break Dundee break the deadlock when Adam hits a speculative shot from 25 yards and heads drop on our side. Murray & Adeyemo have a sight of goal in the second half but nothing seems to be going our way at the moment summed up by Dundee winning another penalty in injury time. Laidlaw saves but it makes no difference as we lose again and its now six games since either of our main strikers got on the scoresheet.

Transfer News

One of the scouts has been in Iceland recently and with their season ending I take the opportunity to offer a trial to 19yo MR Viktor Juliusson who has been released by one of the first division clubs.

Saturday 23rd December 2017 – Scottish Championship (17/36)

Queen of the South (10th) 0-2 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Adeyemo (55, 62)

MOTM: Adeyemo (8.8)

With morale low I hold a team meeting before the match while also rotating a few players. Murray & Moore are in poor form so Dingwall gets another chance up front with Adeyemo and has the best chance of the first half when Doughty plays him in but his first time shot is saved. Kelleher rattles the woodwork from a corner while Adeyemo also has a sight of goal from the edge of the box. We are much the better team and our play is finally rewarded in the second half when two Oyebanjo crosses are directed in by Adeyemo. Murray comes off the bench to create a late chance for Duffy which is blasted over but it makes no odds as we chalk up a morale boosting win.

Tuesday 26th December 2017 – Scottish Championship (18/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 1-1 Falkirk (6th)

Goals: Adeyemo (57) ; Vaughan (36)

MOTM: Kelleher (7.7)

Attendance: 3,483

I look to build on our win over QOS but Falkirk prove to be tougher opposition. Its a fairly even game with both defences in control until our former youth striker Vaughan again comes back to haunt us when he steps past Frempah and fires in. The team respond though and take the match to Falkirk with Adeyemo directing in a Kelleher cross for a deserved equaliser. A shocking red card for a Falkirk midfielder swings the match our way and we press for a winner in the later stages but Falkirk defend in numbers to earn a point.

Saturday 30th December 2017 – Scottish Championship (19/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 3-0 Stranraer (8th)

Goals: Moore (21, pen 84), Dingwall (75)

MOTM: Moore (8.6)

Attendance: 2,482

It might look like a straight forward win but the fans went away seeing more injuries than chances. The only point of note in a tight first half was Moore opening the scoring when Thomson's deep cross from the right was knocked back by Conroy. The second half saw three players carried off, one from Stranraer while we lost Callachan & Adeyemo. With nothing being created it was Dingwall that settled things with a shot from outside the box before winning a soft penalty which Moore despatched. To round out the day Moore also hobbled off in injury time as we created one clear chance (the penalty) and one half chance (Moore's opening goal) while Stranraer created nothing.

Match Injuries

Jordan Moore (ST) – Out for 2/3 weeks with a gashed leg.

Ross Callachan (MC) – Out for 3 weeks with a thigh strain.

76%20League%20Table%20Dec%202017.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

January 2018

Transfer News

19yo MR, Viktor Juliusson that was on trial leaves us, the coaches felt he has some potential but his current skill level was a little low and he was inconsistent so I felt we could do better.

The transfer window opens and five of our players are attracting interest – Falkirk seem to want a striker and are keeping an eye on both Adeyemo & Murray. Morton are looking at a couple of our backup players (Joe McGovern & Kyle Wilkie) while John Egan (DC) is being watched by Dundee.

In terms of incoming players I would still like to replace Jordan Moore with a different striker while another DC wouldn't go amiss, preferably an up & coming one. Looking longer term to the summer we'll possibly need a GK, a DR, a ML & a MR. With money being really tight though we are unlikely to see many changes this window so its more a case of keeping the scouts busy.

Tuesday 2nd January 2018 – Scottish Championship (20/36)

Kilmarnock (6th) 0-3 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Duffy (pen 30), Adeyemo (31), Egan (67)

MOTM: Egan (8.3)

Milestone: Ola Adeyemo - 100th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Michael Duffy - 1st Goal for Raith

Kilmarnock make the better start without threatening to score before we work our way into the match. Oyebanjo is the catalyst for us first crossing for Dingwall who gets pulled back winning a controversial penalty which Duffy despatches before finding Adeyemo at the far post for two. The quickfire double seems to knock the stuffing out of Kilmarnock as we cruise to the win with Egan adding a third in the second half when Frempah flicks on a corner.

Transfer News

Dundee annoy me when they make a loan offer of all things for John Egan. I could understand a transfer offer but I have no idea why they think I'll loan them one of our first team defenders.

I perhaps pass my annoyance on to our parent club who have let the contract of one of our loanees run down – Michael Duffy. He has done well for us so far and I have no trouble stepping in to offer him the chance to join us on a bosman deal in the summer.

Saturday 6th January 2018 – Scottish Championship (21/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 2-2 Livingston (9th)

Goals: Adeyemo (12), Murray (81) ; Rutherford (45), Hippolyte (58)

MOTM: Rutherford (8.1) (Livingston)

Attendance: 2,654

A cold, snowy day means direct football from both teams but we get the break when Murray chases a ball down the right crossing for Adeyemo to direct in. The goal really does us no favours though as bit by bit we let Livingston have control of the match. The warning signs are there when Laidlaw pushes a good chance onto the bar and I should have tweaked the tactics. I don't though and we get punished when Rutherford scores just before the break. More positive play needed in the second half and we seem to have more of the play but this time get punished by a referee mistake when Hippolyte should have been called offside. We finish the stronger and rescue a point when Murray breaks his goal drought by heading in Duffy's cross. A frustrating match that I feel we should have won.

Saturday 13th January 2018 – Scottish Championship (22/36)

Motherwell (5th) 3-2 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Erwin (1, 30), Reilly (39) ; Conroy (pen 21), Kelleher (80)

MOTM: Doughty (9.0)

Milestone: Ryan Conroy - 100th Appearance for Raith Rovers

Our defence don't bother turning up in this match as they stand ball watching while Erwin scores on 21 seconds. Doughty wins what is deemed a controversial penalty although it looked fine to me as Conroy equalises but it just papers over the cracks as Erwin & Reilly put Motherwell into a comfortable lead. I read the riot act to the team at halftime and we improve in the second half. Kelleher puts a late goal back and we push for an equaliser but the match is already gone. Another frustrating match where we were good going forwards with more shots & chances than Motherwell but terrible defending cost us in the first half. Even more annoying is that the improvement in the second half means I can't even shout at them.

Saturday 20th January 2018 – Scottish Championship (23/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 1-0 Dunfermline Athletic (4th)

Goals: Adeyemo (5)

MOTM: Obileye (7.3)

Attendance: 4,980

What we don't need after two frustrating matches is a derby match but it works for us. Adeyemo sees an early chance hit the post when he gets on the end of a Kelleher cross but a couple of minutes later the move is repeated and this time he gets the ball inside the post to give us the lead. Our passing is terrible early on as we gift possession to Dunfermline but our defence is good as they don't look like breaking us down. We improve as the match goes on and Obileye is unlucky not to make it two from a corner early in the second half. Later in the game we have another corner cleared off the line as we struggle to force a cushion but in the end Dunfermline just create the one half chance in injury time which Laidlaw stands big to make the save.

Saturday 27th January 2018 – Scottish Championship (24/36)

St Johnstone (3rd) 4-2 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Anderson (19), O'Halloran (28, 45), Boyd (34) ; Joe Thomson (35), Duffy (pen 65)

MOTM: McShane (9.0) (St Johnstone)

Difficult to know what to say about this match. The bottom line is our defence got ripped apart by the St Johnstone attack and they produced clinical finishes. I'm disappointed that we conceded four goals from two clear chances & one half chance but in response we scored two and had no less than four ruled out for offside of which two from Adeyemo were very marginal at best. Two or three players underperformed but in general the rest played fairly well as we drop off the top of the table for the first time this season.

Transfer Window Roundup

Our money situation meant it was a really quiet window for us. Although there was a little interest in some of our players it never amounted to anything except one loan bid from Dundee. The only addition we made was signing loanee Michael Duffy to a bosman deal for the summer.

As for the rest of the league there was a little activity which was mostly the odd signing of unattached player or a loan deal in or out. There were five transfers for money two of them fairly significant. Falkirk were clearly after strikers after showing interest in both Adeyemo & Murray but settled for signing 24yo Gavin Reilly from Motherwell for £145k & 25yo Greig Spence from Alloa (League 1) for £22k. Dundee also made some money by selling a 26yo Irish DL to Hearts (Premiership) for £125k and they also get the award for the odd transfer of the window – They signed 25yo ST Michael Ngoo from Kilmarnock last January for free and have now sold him back to Kilmarnock for £19k. The final transfer for money saw Dundee pay Rangers (Premiership) £8k for a Moroccan AML/ST.

77%20League%20Table%20Jan%202018.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

February 2018

Training Injury

Jason Thomson (DRL) – Out for 3 weeks with a chest injury.

Saturday 3rd February 2018 – Scottish Championship (25/36)

Raith Rovers (2nd) 3-0 Dundee (1st)

Goals: Adeyemo (16), Murray (22), Conroy (pen 24)

MOTM: Adeyemo (8.3)

Attendance: 3,539

It might be a top of the table clash but matches have got a lot tougher since our great start to the season. Its role reversal this match though as we show the same clinical edge that St Johnstone had against us last week. Positive play sees us take the game to Dundee and we have the lead when Adeyemo curls the ball in from the edge of the box. Murray makes it two soon after before winning a penalty for Conroy to score a third. Dundee come into the match in the second half and finish strongly but the game is already over as we secure a great win to go back to the top of the table.

Training Injuries

Joe McGovern (GK) – Out for 4/5 weeks with achilles tendonitis

Joe Thomson (AMRL) – Out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle

Saturday 17th February 2018 – Scottish Championship (26/36)

Falkirk (7th) 2-2 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Vaughan (45), Turnbull (74) ; Kelleher (42), Duffy (87)

MOTM: Duffy (8.0)

We have two good strikers up front in Adeyemo & Murray but so do Falkirk in one of our former youth players Vaughan & new signing Reilly. Both teams look dangerous going forward with Falkirk perhaps having the slight edge but the defences just about cope. As halftime approaches we make the breakthrough when a Murray header draws a fingertip save from the goalkeeper with Kelleher left with a tap in. Falkirk respond though when Vaughan bursts past Frempah and slots in. I switch to 352 in the second half as I look to deal with their strikers but it doesn't work well as Falkirk apply pressure. With tweaks we seem to be past the worst but then a missed header at a freekick lets Turnbull in at the far post. With nothing to lose we press for the equaliser with Duffy the main threat with three shots from the edge of the box coming close before he does find the target with the 4th to rescue a point.

Saturday 24th February 2018 – Scottish Championship (27/36)

Raith Rovers (2nd) 0-1 Queen of the South (9th)

Goals: Obileye (og 41)

MOTM: O'Brien (7.6)

Attendance: 2,323

Its clear from the start its one of those games where too many players can't be arsed. We have plenty of possession but do little with it while QOS seem to employ a shoot on sight policy as soon as they get anywhere near the goal. With neither team threatening its no surprise that the score is 0-0 until we gift QOS the lead when Obileye deflects a cross into his own net. When we finally pick up both Murray & Adeyemo are firing blanks with a couple of good chances wasted from each of them. I'm furious with the defeat which sees us drop away from Dundee at the top of the league.

Match Injury

Jason Thomson (DRL) – Out for 2/3 weeks with a gashed lower leg.

Training Injury

Fiacre Kelleher (DL) – Out for about 10 days with a facial injury.

78%20League%20Table%20Feb%202018.png

Really enjoying this so far, and it's certainly a great improvement over the last 9 months - keep it up! :)

Cheers b101, I'm pleased you are enjoying it :)

Ouch, that QotS defeat has got to hurt. :(

I hope you gave the players a piece of your mind after that - don't let Dundee run away from you now!

It was just so unexpected, we hadn't been on a winning run or anything and I had demanded a win from them.

So annoying when those games happen, you just can't seem to do anything to turn it round or fire them up.

Scotland

Raith Rovers

March 2018

Manager Thoughts

The loss to QOS hurt us badly, we are now four points behind Dundee with one round of fixtures to go. We are 10 points clear of Kilmarnock in 5th and its looking like the playoffs are now the aim rather than the title. I would have taken the playoffs at the start of the season but after our great start its a little disappointing. Nine matches to go, four at home & five away and nine points should be more than enough to claim a playoff spot.

Saturday 3rd March 2018 – Scottish Championship (28/36)

Stranraer (8th) 0-3 Raith Rovers (2nd)

Goals: Murray (14, 70), Adeyemo (30)

MOTM: Murray (9.0)

Milestone: Lanre Oyebanjo - 350th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Simon Murray - 50th Career League Goal

We have a few injuries to contend with while I also take the opportunity to rotate the team a little. Its a good start for us as we win a huge amount of set pieces but just can't get a clear shot on target early on. Murray finally breaks the deadlock when the ball is played into him on the edge of the box, his first touch takes him past the defender before drilling in from a narrow angle. Murray seems to have found his scoring boots again heading in Adeyemo's cross only to be ruled marginally offside but Adeyemo does better staying onside for Duffy's throughball. With more than a comfortable lead and Stranraer offering nothing but a few long clearances in the direction of Fotheringham we shut down in the second half. Murray adds a third heading in a Oyebanjo cross which wins him MOTM but it really should have been Oyebanjo who was a constant thorn for Stranraer down the right. We played well although Stranraer made it easy for us while late injuries to Dingwall & Duffy were the only blot on the day.

Match Injuries

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for about 10 days with a bruised rib.

Michael Duffy (ML) – Out for about a week with a dead leg.

Youth Intake

16 players join the club and much like last year I've seen better intakes. A handful of them will have hopes of making the first team in the future with 15yo ST, Ryan McCulloch & the coaches pick, 16yo ML, Andy Husband the best of them. On closer inspection though I'm a little surprised that the coaches don't rate 16yo DC Bobby Wilson who seems well developed for his age and could well be knocking on the door of the first team sooner rather than later.

79%20Youth%20Intake%202018.png

Andy Husband

80%20Husband.png

Bobby Wilson

81%20Wilson.png

Illness

Jordan Moore (ST) – Sent home for a week with flu.

Saturday 10th March 2018 – Scottish Championship (29/36)

Livingston (10th) 0-1 Raith Rovers (2nd)

Goals: Egan (28)

MOTM: Cairney (8.1) (Livingston)

Milestone: Ryan Watson - 1st Appearance for Raith Rovers

Away to bottom of the league means its a good chance to put more points on the board but Livingston give us more of a game. Early on we have more possession and create chances, Adeyemo's turn & shot is saved while a corner sees shots from both Obileye & Doughty blocked on the line. Just as I think the goal won't come a wide freekick sees Egan head in to give us the lead. Livingston play well and test Laidlaw mainly from distance while Murray blasts wide with a good chance. With Murray firing blanks homegrown 17yo Ryan Watson makes his debut (Dingwall & Moore injured) and has an impact. First he plays Adeyemo in who fires in only to be ruled offside before a turn & shot of his own hits the post. In the end it doesn't matter as we hold on and with Dundee dropping points we go back to the top of the table.

Saturday 17th March 2018 – Scottish Championship (30/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 4-0 Kilmarnock (5th)

Goals: Conroy (pen 45), Dingwall (48), Callachan (56, 67)

MOTM: Callachan (9.3)

Attendance: 3,060

Milestone: Thomas O'Brien - 200th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Simon Murray - 100th Career League Appearance

Dingwall returns from injury and with Murray being poor in the last match I give him a chance. It proves to be a good choice as he looks sharp early on firing a good chance over after bursting past his marker. Just before the break Dingwall wins a soft penalty which Conroy converts before heading in a McKeown cross early in the second half. Callachan adds a brace to seal a massive win which more or less confirms a playoff place.

Training Injury

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for about 10 days with a stubbed toe.

Saturday 31st March 2018 – Scottish Championship (31/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 4-3 Motherwell (6th)

Goals: Robinson (13), Frempah (16), Adeyemo (28), Egan (44) ; Serrano (1), Erwin (29, 63)

MOTM: Robinson (8.9)

Attendance: 2,955

The International break didn't do us any favours with several of the squad a little short of match fitness and that may or may not have contributed to Serrano scoring within the first minute with a shot from just outside the box. We settle tough and Callachan creates the equaliser driving past a defender before laying off for Robinson to slot in. Frempah makes it two when Motherwell fail to clear a corner while a drilled cross from Robinson finds Adeyemo for three. A quick break sees Erwin with a clinical finish before Egan heads in a corner just before halftime. Another clinical finish from Erwin sets up a nervy finish but we hold on to make it four wins in a row and set up a two way battle for the title with Dundee.

Player/Manager News

A 100% record sees me named “Manager of the Month” while John Egan (DC) is named “Player of the Month”

82%20League%20Table%20March%202018.png

Perfect month - and you must still have a game against Dundee left, right? So the division is yours to lose now! ;)

With the way FM works, he'll end up beating Dundee 6-0 then lose to Stranraer and/or Queen of the South. ;)

Scotland

Raith Rovers

April 2018

Transfer News

I've kept the scouts busy while I look for targets for next season. I wanted a striker but all the good ones want too much money so far but I do find a GK to replace McGovern who I'm going to release. Its something of a coup as well although his wages will make him one of the highest paid on the team. Joining us next season is former England U21 International Michael Crowe who is sick of waiting around for a first team chance at Ipswich Town (English Championship).

Saturday 7th April 2018 – Scottish Championship (32/36)

Dunfermline Athletic (3rd) 3-2 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Todd (7), McLear (58), Graham (82) ; Conroy (50), Murray (69)

MOTM: McLear (8.3) (Dunfermline)

We aren't the only ones with a bad pitch but whether it contributes to both sides struggling is another matter. Just the one chance in the first half comes early when a quick break from a long throw sees an overlap with Todd firing a deflected shot in. Conroy equalises early in the second half when he is given time to pick his spot from 25 yards but whatever he can do so can McLear from a similar range. We press for another equaliser and it comes from a Robinson ball into the channel with Murray drilling in from a narrow angle. With both sides looking for a winner Dunfermline win the derby when a vicious freekick is only palmed away by Laidlaw as Graham smashes in.

U20 Match Injury

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle.

Saturday 14th April 2018 – Scottish Championship (33/36)

Dundee (2nd) 2-4 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Gardyne (90, 90) ; Adeyemo (7), Duffy (25), Murray (38), Moore (81)

MOTM: McKeown (8.7)

We lead Dundee on goal difference as we travel for what could be a title decider. We make a flying start when Murray holds the ball up before feeding Adeyemo and its two when Adeyemo plays Duffy in. By the time Murray slots in a rebound from a McKeown freekick its three from three. The key to stopping Dundee is to stop Adam running midfield and with that in mind I switch to 352 for the second half to limit his space. We give up space on the wings but that isn't such an issue when you have three big DCs while I'm also happy to limit them to shots from distance. Moore comes off the bench to slot in a McKeown cross on the break and that seems to be that but a lack of concentration sees Dundee score two in injury time. Its a massive win for us though as we go three clear with three to play.

Manager News

Another year, another contract offer. Everything seems in order although the board still won't let me take a coaching badge. I do get them to remove the defensive football philosophy though and then sign the deal.

83%20Contract%20offer.png

Saturday 21st April 2018 – Scottish Championship (34/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 2-1 St Johnstone (4th)

Goals: Obileye (57), Adeyemo (64) ; Onwu (32)

MOTM: Onwu (8.3) (St Johnstone)

Attendance: 3,476

St Johnstone have little to play for with a playoff place 99% confirmed but that doesn't mean they don't give us a game. Its really close in the early stages with Adeyemo coming the closest when he runs onto a loose ball hitting the post. With defences stretched but coping it was always going to take a bit of magic and it comes from Onwu who picks the ball up in the channel, cuts inside two defenders before firing in from the edge of the box. We stick at it looking a threat from set pieces and its a long throw that sees Egan flick on for Obileye to equalise at the far post. We soon have the lead when a cleared cross falls to Callachan and with the defence pushing up he finds the run of Adeyemo who slots in. Its been close all match and St Johnstone finish strongly but we hold on to secure another three points.

Saturday 28th April 2018 – Scottish Championship (35/36)

Raith Rovers (1st) 3-1 Falkirk (7th)

Goals: Egan (42), O'Brien (57), Duffy (pen 80) ; McCord (pen 59)

MOTM: O'Brien (8.3)

Attendance: 4,455

Last home match of the season and a win will mean we lift the title to claim an unexpected spot in the Premiership next season. Falkirk bring a new narrow 4321 formation so I switch for I think the first time this season to the 41221 as I look to deal with it. Falkirk have more possession and shots in the early stages but we cope well as they create nothing of note. On the break we create the best chance of the half only for Adeyemo see his shot saved from a narrow angle. Just before halftime we make the breakthrough when Egan challenges for a long throw and when the ball drops in front of him he puts his foot through it. Another set piece sees O'Brien make it two when Falkirk fail to clear a corner and we are well on our way. Doughty gives up a soft penalty when he backs into his man at a corner but later in the half the referee evens it up when Thomson goes down driving into the box. Duffy slots in to seal the title and a place in the Premiership next season.

Training Injury

Ross Laidlaw (GK) – Out for 6/7 weeks with a sprained ankle.

Saturday 5th May 2018 – Scottish Championship (36/36)

Queen of the South (9th) 1-3 Raith Rovers (1st)

Goals: Orsi (30) ; Moore (9, 15), Murray (32)

MOTM: Moore (8.9)

With the title won its a case of picking the players who haven't featured as much. Moore starts up front and is on fire at the start with a clinical brace. McGovern should have done better with Orsi's header that pulls QOS back into the match but Murray fires in to restore the cushion. Its a steady second half as we see out the match to finish on a high.

Match Injury

Liam McCroary (DM) – Out for about 10 days with a bruised rib.

84%20Final%20League%20Table.png

Club News

Winning the title brings in a fair amount of prize money which is good for the finances but promotion means a new loan to bring the stadium up to Premiership standards.

85%20Undersoil%20Heating.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

2017/18 Season Review

Scottish Championship

Relegated St Johnstone & Falkirk were amongst the favorites but they found life in the Championship rather tougher than they imagined. Dundee came close last season and they pushed us all the way this year as we surprised everyone to lift the title. Dundee were joined by Dunfermline & St Johnstone in the playoffs but in the end Inverness CT came through to keep their place in the Premiership.

Down at the bottom there were few surprises, promoted Stranraer had a good season to survive as Livingston were relegated. This left Queen of the South in the playoffs where they lost to Clyde in the semi finals to also go down.

The board expected us to finish mid-table and they were delighted that we won the title.

86%20Final%20League%20Table%202018.png

Scottish Cup

Just like last season several big names crashed out early while League 1 Morton had a giant killing run to the semi-finals where they fell to Dundee Utd. Partick Thistle beat Hamilton in the other to set up a repeat of last season's semi final but the result was the same as Dundee Utd went one better than last season to lift the Cup for the 3rd time.

We matched the board's expectation of reaching the 4th round which pleased the board.

87%20Scottish%20Cup%202018.png

Scottish League Cup

St Johnstone put out two Premiership teams enroute to the semi finals but St Mirren put them in their place while Dundee Utd made yet another final as they beat Aberdeen in the other semi. The final saw St Mirren win 2-0 to lift the trophy for the 2nd time.

We matched the board expectation of reaching the second round which pleased them.

88%20Scottish%20League%20Cup%202018.png

Scottish League Challenge Cup

League 1 side Airdrie provided the shocks with a run to the semi finals but they came up short as Dunfermline made the final. The other semi was a meeting between the two relegated Premiership teams with Falkirk beating St Johnstone before going on to Dunfermline to lift the cup for the 5th time.

We crashed out in the 1st round to Alloa but it didn't bother the board as they don't consider the competition important.

89%20Scottish%20League%20Challenge%20Cup%202018.png

Awards

Scottish Championship Player of the Year: Simon Murray (26yo Scottish ST) (Raith Rovers)

Scottish Championship Team of the Season:

GK – Jordan Hart (22yo Scottish GK) (Dunfermline Athletic)

DR – Jamie Hamill (31yo Scottish DM/DR, MC) (Kilmarnock)

DL – Joe Chalmers (24yo Scottish DL) (Kilmarnock)

DC – John Egan (25yo Irish DC) (Raith Rovers)

DC – Ayo Obileye (23yo English DC/DM) (Raith Rovers)

MR – Martin Boyle (25yo Scottish MR, ST) (Dundee)

ML – George Boyd (32yo Scottish ML/MC, ST) (St Johnstone)

MC – Charlie Adam (32yo Scottish MC/DM) (Dundee)

MC – Stewart Murdoch (28yo Scottish MC/DM) (Dunfermline Athletic)

ST – Simon Murray (26yo Scottish ST) (Raith Rovers)

ST – Lewis Vaughan (22yo Scottish ST/MRC) (Falkirk)

Raith Rovers Fans' Player of the Year: Simon Murray (51%) ahead of John Egan (20%) & Thomas O'Brien (17%)

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

It was another solid but unspectacular season for Ross Laidlaw between the sticks while Joe McGovern provided decent backup in what will be his last season at the club.

Ross Laidlaw (25yo Scottish GK) – 35 apps, 40 conceded, 11 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.82

Joe McGovern (24yo Northern Irish GK) – 6 apps, 6 conceded, 2 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.78

Fullbacks

On the left Rory McKeown went one extreme to the other with spells of poor & good form during the season. Backing him up Fiacre Kelleher continued to develop & impress with solid defence but lacks a little going forwards. On the right Jason Thomson was reinstalled as captain but on the pitch was disappointing failing to find the form of last season which leaves me with a tough decision to make. Lanre Oyebanjo joined us last summer to provide competition for Thomson but more or less took over as first choice especially after Xmas. 18yo Andrew Young had a couple of chances at the start of the season before Oyebanjo joined before heading out on loan to Albion Rovers.

Rory McKeown (25yo Northern Irish DL) – 22 apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 7.11

Fiacre Kelleher (22yo Irish DL) – 19 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 7.02

Jason Thomson (30yo Scottish DR/DL) – 17 (3) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.66

Lanre Oyebanjo (28yo Irish DR) – 22 (4) apps, 0 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 6.95

Andrew Young (18yo Scottish DR) – 2 (1) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.80

Central Defenders

Ayo Obileye was a big signing for us at the beginning of the season and he didn't disappoint as I rotated regularly in the middle. John Egan continued where he left off last season and was arguably our best defender while Frempah struggled a little often finding himself as the odd man out when we played two at the back. With next to no injuries at DC time on the pitch was very limited for younger players but Lewis Hodge did make a handful of appearances but they only served to confirm he needs more time in the U20s.

Ben Frempah (23yo Ghanaian DC) – 29 (1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.86

John Egan (25yo Irish DC) – 34 (1) apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 7.11

Ayo Obileye (23yo English DC/DM) – 31 (2) apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.07

Lewis Hodge (17yo Scottish DC) – 1 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.80

Midfielders

The fans weren't happy when I signed Thomas O'Brien from rivals Cowdenbeath but I knew exactly what I was getting – A big, strong, no nonsense DM who does the dirty work in front of the defence and he did it well. This took the pressure off Liam McCroary but the lack of regular football seemed to effect his form as he was a bit more hit and miss this season. This left the playmaker role being shared between Michael Doughty & Ross Callachan. Michael was marginally better finding his best form in the first half of the season while Ross put a poor start behind him to finish strongly. This left Kyle Wilkie & Jordan Sinclair as backup options and they were never really needed.

Ross Callachan (24yo Scottish MC/AMC) – 19 (7) apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.95

Michael Doughty (25yo Welsh MC/ML) – 25 (3) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 7.10

Liam McCroary (20yo Scottish DM/MC) – 13 (12) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.77

Thomas O'Brien (26yo Scottish DM/DC, MC) – 29 (6) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 7.11

Kyle Wilkie (27yo Scottish MC/MRL) – 0 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: -

Jordan Sinclair (21yo Scottish MC/DM) – 0 (2) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: -

Wingers

It was another good season for Conroy on the left but at 31yo there are signs he is on the decline and I may need to replace him sooner rather than later. Loanee Michael Duffy was brought in to add depth and proved to be solid whether on the wing or on the left of a three man midfield. With his contract up at Celtic I'm pleased he'll be joining us permanently next season. Scott Robinson was pushed out onto the right when we played 442 where he had a decent but unspectacular season while our other loanee Joe Thomson improved on the previous season but found his chances much more limited.

Ryan Conroy (31yo Scottish ML) – 20 (3) apps, 9 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 7.20

Michael Duffy (23yo Northern Irish ML/MC) – 11 (19) apps, 5 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 6.98

Scott Robinson (26yo Scottish MC/MR) – 24 (6) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.82

Joe Thomson (21yo Scottish AMRL) – 11 (4) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.85

Strikers

Last season we needed goalscorers and we got them as Adeyemo & Murray continued to find the net. Murray blew a bit more hot & cold while Adeyemo seemed the more consistent throughout the season. I tried to give Dingwall plenty of football to aid his development but after a poor start he dropped back into a backup role finding a little form later in the season. This left Jordan Moore seeing out the last year of his contract until I gave up with Dingwall. He found some rhythm after Xmas to the point where I am actually considering offering him a new deal. 17yo Ryan Watson also made his debut after coming back from loan but thats all it was at this stage.

Ola Adeyemo (23yo Irish ST/AMRL) – 35 (5) apps, 19 goals, 9 assists, Ave Rating: 7.07

Simon Murray (26yo Scottish (ST) – 28 (7) apps, 18 goals, 10 assists, Ave Rating: 7.12

Jordan Moore (24yo Scottish ST/AMRL) – 7 (10) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.05

Russell Dingwall (20yo Scottish ST/AMR) – 11 (10) apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.76

Ryan Watson (17yo Scottish ST) – 0 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: -

Congrats! :applause:

Celtic Park here we come... ;)

Well deserved promotion.

Cheers guys, certainly a good year and I think staying fairly injury free was a huge factor.

It meant core players like Obileye, Egan, O'Brien, Adeyemo & Murray spent a lot of time on the pitch.

Looking at the Premiership though avoiding relegation is going to be really tough, anything above 12th will be a bonus I think :(

Scotland

Raith Rovers

Off-Season Report

FINANCES/CLUB NEWS

We didn't get a big cup match or playoff game to fill the coffers but improved attendances along with the prize money from winning the league meant we made a profit for the first time since I've been in charge - £158k. Overall though we are still in debt to the tune of approx £400k but at least we are moving in the right direction. We also gained a £2m 10 year loan to install undersoil heating but on a more positive note we'll get TV money of around £900k over the course of next season.

The board set the initial budgets: Transfer budget £418k & Wage budget £93k a month. A decent transfer budget but I suspect I'll have to move some of it into wages to cover the increases from promotion.

Winning the Championship increased our reputation and puts us on a par with the bottom half Premiership clubs. Turnover wise we are bottom but not that far behind the likes of Partick Thistle & Inverness CT but on value we are miles behind all the Premiership clubs. Finally we saw a 25% increase in our average attendance from 2,577 to 3,256.

The only other piece of news is that as we were promoted to the Premiership our link with Celtic was cancelled.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

Five players leave the club from the U20 team at the end of their contracts including homegrown Rhys Craigie and Greg Docherty. Both were out on loan last season but didn't do enough to suggest they were worthy of a new deal. Four of the senior team were also released:

Joe McGovern (24yo Northern Irish GK) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 2 seasons, Apps: 13

Signed to give competition to Laidlaw but the scouts got it wrong as he never really improved.

Kyle Wilkie (27yo Scottish MC/MRL) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 2 seasons, Apps: 26, Goals: 1, Assists: 1

Signed to give depth to the squad but as we've moved forward he became surplus to requirements.

Jordan Sinclair (21yo Scottish MC/DM) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 2 seasons, Apps: 23, Goals: 0, Assists: 1

Young player signed by the DOF to give depth to the squad but failed to break into the first team. No doubt a decent player and will have no trouble finding a new club with his intelligent passing but he is also selfish & inconsistent.

Jordan Moore (24yo Scottish ST/AMRL) – Released at end of contract

Time at Raith: 3 seasons, Apps: 63, Goals: 13, Assists: 9

Technically & mentally good but lacked physically which seemed to be an issue. We've seen some improvement in him but he generally disappointed too often to earn a new deal.

As the transfer window opens just one of our squad is attracting interest – Ross Laidlaw (GK) who is being watched by Hamilton but within a few days Ross County are showing interest in DL, Rory McKeown while Partick Thistle are watching both McKeown & DC, Ayo Obileye.

Increasing the asking prices for those players seems to do the trick as no offers come in and the clubs go of to seek other targets.

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

I agreed two bosman deals earlier in the year and they join the squad:

Michael Duffy (23yo Northern Irish ML/MC) – Signed on a bosman from Celtic (Premiership)

Started his career at Derry City before being signed by Celtic. Loan spells in the Championship with Livingston, Kilmarnock and ourselves last season followed which gives him plenty of experience. Did pretty well for us last year and fits into any of our formations.

90%20Duffy.png

Michael Crowe (22yo English GK) – Signed on a bosman from Ipswich Town (English Premier Division)

Born in England but seems to have grown up in Norway starting his career at Start. Returned to England with Ipswich Town but after six seasons with them had only made one appearance and was sick of waiting. An England U21 International who should be a step up from Laidlaw and real competition for him.

91%20Crowe.png

With the initial signings done its time to review the squad. Yet again I'm looking for a MR which has been our problem position for some time while another ST to rotate in with Adeyemo & Murray is needed. A 4th choice younger DC is also on the shopping list while DR is probably our weakest area and we would benefit from replacing captain Jason Thomson but I can't see him being too happy about that.

With money an issue I'm mainly looking at unattached players and I offer trials to two strikers – 29yo Simon Church (Released by Charlton) & 24yo Ross Caldwell (Released by Falkirk) while I'm also keeping an eye on 24yo Steven Ross (Released by Motherwell) who we had on trial a couple of years ago.

MR has been a massive issue for us the last couple of years and our options haven't improved, David Smith & Conor Hogg were on trial with us last season while former youth player Ross Matthews has been released by Kilmarnock. Once again the best of a bad bunch seems to be former loanee Joe Thomson who has been released by Celtic but its clear from initial talks that we are too far apart on contract terms at the moment.

At DC I feel I've missed out on a player as both St Johnstone & Ross County have made offers to 22yo Jack Baird (Released by St Mirren) before I got a look at him but I do offer trials to 23yo Craig Halkett (Released by Rangers) & 18yo Graham Forsyth (Released by Partick Thistle).

This leaves DR where Conor McLaughlin once again arrives for another trial (Was on trial a year ago) but its far more important to fill the other positions first.

Church, Caldwell & Halkett don't impress me but once again McLaughlin looks like an option but I need to fill other positions first. Forsyth has a bit of talent for an 18yo and with room to improve might be a decent shout but he isn't really good enough just yet for the first team. I go back to Celtic to try to loan Calvin Miller once again who we've had twice on loan but they want us to pay all his wages which just isn't possible at the moment.

Back to the drawing board then as I get updates from the scouts. Defence is an area where I spot three or four possible signings that fit our wage structure but one stands out and I soon have him signed up as another Irishman joins the club:

Paddy Barrett (24yo Irish DC/DR) – Out of contract with Dundalk (Irish Premier Division)

Started his career in Scotland with Aberdeen before moving onto Dundee Utd and then released. Restarted his career in Ireland arriving at Dundalk via Waterford Utd & Galway Utd and has made over 100 appearances for them over the last four years. With Dundalk discussing a new contract with him I stepped in and stole him away. Not the best defender on my shortlist by any means but there are a lot of positives for us. He can also provide cover at DR (killing two birds with one stone), his wages are low, he is happy with backup squad status, he has performed consistently well for Dundalk & I'm happy he can do a job for us when called upon.

92%20Barrett.png

There seems to be plenty of strikers available but unfortunately we simply can't afford most of them. There are two or three that are possibilities but I'm not convinced they are right for us so I turn my attention to loans. A couple of players catch my eye on the loan market but one seems ahead on current ability. He has been scouted a little and with options limited I decide to take a gamble on him:

Callum Saunders (22yo Welsh ST) – On loan for the season from Crewe Alexandria (English Championship) £0 Loan fee + 100% wages (£5,500 a month)

A product of the Crewe academy and he has gone on to make 83 appearances so far for them although a lot of the time from the bench. He is also a full Welsh International with seven caps so far to his name. I can see why he hasn't quite broken through into the Crewe first team yet, he is a little slow & a little inconsistent while also not keen on the bigger matches. However he has a good attitude, I'll make good use of his abilities as a target man and he should suit our style of play. Hopefully I can get the best out of him as he rotates in with Adeyemo & Murray leaving Dingwall as backup.

93%20Saunders.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

Pre-Season Friendlies (2018/19)

As usual I leave the friendlies to my AM to organise and this year he has arranged five. There is a huge difference in quality to previous seasons though as we play host to two top division German sides while we visit Austria & Northern Ireland along with a trip to Championship side Motherwell.

FC Admira Wacker Modling (Austrian Premier Division) 1-1 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Malicsek (30) ; Adeyemo (4)

MOTM: Malicsek (8.3) (Admira Wacker)

The Austrian club is slightly bigger than we are but are missing a few players which makes it fairly even. Adeyemo slots in a driven Robinson cross to take an early lead but Malicsek gets a deserved equaliser in the first half. Not bad for the first friendly of the season, Admira Wacker edged the game but we took our chance while both teams tired in the second half.

Raith Rovers (Premiership) 0-1 Stuttgart (German First Division)

Goals: Ferati (90)

MOTM: Ferati (8.2) (Stuttgart)

Was expecting a tough challenge from Stuttgart but once on the field we were fairly well matched. Stuttgart spent much of the game shooting poorly from the edge of our box while we also find it hard going forwards against a team playing with two DMs. We do create the best two chances of the match which Dingwall sees saved until deep in injury time when a long ball into the channel sees our defence stand around watching it bounce through to Laidlaw unfortunately Ferati read the pass and had the energy to chase it getting there just ahead of the keeper.

Lurgen Celtic (Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership) 0-6 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Egan (12, 67, 69), Adeyemo (32), Conroy (pen 50), Guiney (og 59)

MOTM: Egan (9.8)

This is a friendly we should be winning and that proves to be the case as the team turn in a really good performance. The highlight by far was a well taken hattrick from central defender John Egan all as a result of set pieces but none direct.

Motherwell (Championship) 2-0 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Cadden (10), Barbour (24)

MOTM: Barbour (8.0) (Motherwell)

A poor performance, we defended badly and attacked badly. Despite this it was a fairly even game and we created just as many chances but didn't have a shot on target all match.

Raith Rovers (Premiership) 1-2 Koln (German First Division)

Goals: Conroy (pen 37) ; Henriquez (64), Gotz (86)

MOTM: Henriquez (7.7) (Koln)

Koln are by far the best team we've faced in pre-season and they could have easily been out of sight by halftime. Laidlaw was outstanding in goal while Murray won a penalty on the break as we took a surprise lead. We can have no complaints though as the equaliser came in the second half although it was disappointing to lose late on.

Scotland

Raith Rovers

Preview 2018/19 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

Four out & four in from the main squad but it doesn't really feel like I've improved the overall quality much if at all. Duffy was with us albeit on loan last season, Saunders may or may not be an improvement on Moore, Crowe should be a step up from McGovern while Barrett adds depth in defence. That leaves MR where I have the scouts working overtime to find me a good one before the window shuts.

In terms of formation its as you were with 442, 352 & 41221 the options.

Finally its time to name the captain and although I would like to name John Egan I feel its not the right time to rock the boat so stick with Jason Thomson and Ross Laidlaw.

Goalkeepers

We have unanswered questions in goal. The staff feel Laidlaw has reached his limit and the Premiership might be a step too far for him while new signing Crowe seems to have the skills but with only one senior appearance so far in his career he is very much untested.

Ross Laidlaw (26yo Scottish GK) – Vice Captain

Michael Crowe (22yo English GK)

Fullbacks

No change at fullback, on the left McKeown will once again be challenged by Kelleher for the starting role while on the right its Oyebanjo & Thomson.

Rory McKeown (25yo Northern Irish DL)

Fiacre Kelleher (22yo Irish DL)

Jason Thomson (31yo Scottish DR/DL) - Captain

Lanre Oyebanjo (28yo Irish DR)

Central Defence

Egan & Obileye have more or less established themselves as the first choice partnership while Frempah will rotate in and get plenty of game time. New signing Barrett adds more depth and provides solid cover.

Ben Frempah (23yo Ghanaian DC)

John Egan (25yo Irish DC)

Ayo Obileye (23yo English DC/DM)

Paddy Barrett (25yo Irish DC/DR)

Central Midfield

After having an abundance of midfielders in the last couple of years its been trimmed down to a more managable size. There are no real changes with McCroary backing up O'Brien in the holding role while Callachan & Doughty compete for the playmaker role. Duffy & Robinson can both play further infield when we use the 352 formation or if we need cover while I have also promoted two of our talented U20s and will look to give them a little time on the field. 18yo Steve McKenna was the star pick of the youth intake in 2016 and after making a handful of appearances for us went out on loan last season where he impressed at League 1 side, Clyde. Ross Holt arrived in 2017 and although not one of the top picks by the coaches I personally thought he looked good for his age also impressing last season on loan at League 1 side, Elgin City.

Ross Callachan (24yo Scottish MC/AMC)

Michael Doughty (25yo Welsh MC/ML)

Thomas O'Brien (26yo Scottish DM/DC, MC)

Liam McCroary (21yo Scottish DM/MC)

Steve McKenna (18yo Scottish MC/MR)

Ross Holt (17yo Scottish MC/AMC)

Wingers

On the left Duffy will push Conroy hard for the starting role while on the right our only current option is Scott Robinson in his less favoured position while talented 18yo Steve McKenna can also cover. I am looking to add a natural MR before the window shuts.

Ryan Conroy (31yo Scottish ML)

Michael Duffy (24yo Northern Irish AML/AMC)

Scott Robinson (26yo Scottish MC/MR)

Forwards

Up front Adeyemo & Murray should continue as first choice although I'm hoping loan signing Saunders can challenge them while Dingwall offers cover but we need to start seeing some improvement in his performances.

Simon Murray (26yo Scottish ST)

Ola Adeyemo (23yo Irish ST/AMRL)

Callum Saunders (22yo Welsh ST) – On Loan

Russell Dingwall (21yo Scottish ST/AMR)

The board announced their expectations for the season, survive in the league while we are expected to go one round further in the cups. Overall once again they seem realistic and I'm happy with them.

Scottish Premiership: Stay Clear of Automatic Relegation

Scottish Cup: 5th Round

Scottish League Cup: 3rd Round

Scottish Premiership Preview

Celtic have won the title for the last seven seasons so its no surprise they are odds on favourites this year as well while Dundee Utd & St Mirren have an outside chance. Last seasons runners up, Hamilton are expected to make the top six along with Aberdeen & Rangers but I suspect a lot will ride on how the teams cope with European football which may give Rangers an advantage. At the bottom I expected us to be odds on to go down but the media feel Ross County are just as likely which leaves Hearts, Hibs, Inverness CT & Partick Thistle battling in mid-table.

No surprise that we are expected to prop up the table and it could be a long season. Dumbarton were surprisingly promoted two years ago and they finished 12 points adrift at the bottom last season so the signs aren't good.

94%20League%20Odds.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

August 2018

Injury News

We start the season with just the one injury concern:

Michael Doughty (MC) – Recovering from a sports hernia, about one month left.

Saturday 4th August 2018 – Scottish League Cup (1st Round)

Stirling Albion (League 2) 2-8 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Shearer (45, 72) ; Conroy (4, pen 7), Saunders (11, 40), Murray (25, 33), McKenna (67, 83)

MOTM: Saunders (9.5)

Milestone: Michael Crowe – Debut for Raith Rovers

Milestone: Paddy Barrett – Debut for Roath Rovers

Milestone: Callum Saunders – Debut & First Goal for Raith Rovers

Milestone: Steve McKenna – First Goal for Raith Rovers

What a crazy way to start the season as its a repeat of last seasons 1st round. A freekick from Conroy opens the scoring for the season and when Callachan wins a penalty I feel we are in control. A brace from both Saunders & Murray follows while Stirling are reduced to 10 men for a two footed tackle. There was even time for Stirling to grab a goal in first half injury time when we fail to clear a corner. The second half starts quieter before McKenna also bags a brace while Shearer shows that Conroy isn't the only one that can score freekicks. To top it off Stirling end with eight men as two more are carried off with late injuries while we also lose Callachan.

Club News

Season ticket sales have been announced and we've more than doubled our sales from 1,052 last season to 2,503 this year. This puts us 10th in the league with more sales than Inverness CT & Hamilton and not that far behind the likes of Ross County & St Mirren.

Transfer News

I can't believe how much I'm struggling to find a decent MR. Joe Thomson who was on loan with us for the past two season has signed for Dundee while I have spotted three players in the English lower leagues but they are all over 32yo and 2.5* at best. Rangers have a 20yo that they refuse to loan to a divisional rival while Middlesbrough have a good player that doesn't want to join us on loan and we can't afford his wages or transfer fee. I haven't totally given up but being proactive I have swopped out our 41221 formation for an alternative 4132 without wingers which may actually suit us better for our first season in the Premiership.

Sunday 12th August 2018 – Scottish Premiership (1/38)

Raith Rovers 2-2 Dundee Utd

Goals: Obileye (15), Callachan (62) ; Coote (38), Dow (45)

MOTM: O'Brien (9.0)

Attendance: 7,039

With Dundee Utd using a narrow diamond it seems like a good opportunity to use our new 4132 formation. Defensively it works fairly well as we limit their chances reducing them to shots from outside the box. On the flipside though our passing is terrible as we constantly gift possession back to them and struggle to get forwards. A rare attack sees us take a surprise lead when a long throw is flicked on by O'Brien for Obileye at the far post. Our luck can't hold out forever though as first Coote & then Dow turn the match around before halftime. With some tweaks we improve in the second half and give Dundee Utd more of a match with Callachan equalising when they only half clear a cross. Its a good point but I still have concerns about the formation and the way we struggle to get the ball forward.

Wednesday 15th August 2018 – Scottish Premiership (2/38)

Inverness CT (9th) 1-0 Raith Rovers (6th)

Goals: Ferguson (35)

MOTM: Meekings (7.6) (Inverness CT)

An even match which sees both sides struggle to create good chances. Inverness rattle the post from a flicked on freekick while a good passing move sees an Adeyemo shot pushed wide. The first goal was always going to be vital and it goes to Inverness when a snap shot from Ferguson finds its way in. We push on in the second half but an off the ball professional foul means Barrett sees red which was very harsh. Even a man short we finish the stronger and are unlucky not to get a deserved equaliser.

Transfer News

The scouts finally turn up a possible target for the MR slot that we can afford and has lowish wages. I haven't fully scouted him but given our lack of options its another gamble:

Jamie Masson (25yo Scottish MRC) – Signed from Falkirk (Championship) for £45k.

Started his career at Aberdeen and had loan moves to Elgin City & Alloa Athletic before being released. Falkirk picked him up three years ago where he has been decent but unspectacular. Unhappy at Falkirk being relegated meant I got him for a decent price and while not ideal should make a good squad player for us. Natural both in the middle and out wide means he'll fit into all our formations. Interestingly both sets of fans are unhappy, Falkirk's for selling him cheaply and ours for signing him from a rival but if he turns out anything like O'Brien I'll be happy.

95%20Masson.png

Monday 20th August 2018 – Scottish Premiership (3/38)

Raith Rovers (10th) 1-2 Aberdeen (3rd)

Goals: Adeyemo (71) ; Reynolds (51), O'Hara (75)

MOTM: Reynolds (8.3) (Aberdeen)

Attendance: 5,617

Milestone: Jamie Masson – Debut for Raith Rovers

We are under pressure early on but after some tweaks we settle into the match and limit Aberdeen to long shots. Neither team really threaten the goal in the first half but Aberdeen take the lead early in the second when a freekick is squared to Reynolds just inside the box. We are playing well though and get a deserved equaliser when Adeyemo finds the inside of the post from the edge of the box. Minutes later though we are kicked in the teeth when a Conroy defensive header is misplaced falling into the path of O'Hara to slot in the winner. Heads drop after the second goal and we never look like getting back into the match while a serious injury to Murray tops the day off.

Match Injury

Simon Murray (ST) – Out for 3/4 months with a damaged achilles tendon.

Saturday 25th August 2018 – Scottish Premiership (4/38)

Rangers (3rd) 6-5 Raith Rovers (10th)

Goals: Boyle (22, pen 24, 31, pen 75), White (70), Wilson (87) ; Adeyemo (4, 45, 90), McKeown (52), Saunders (59)

MOTM: Boyle (9.5) (Rangers)

Milestone: Ross Callachan - 150th Career League Appearance (All for Raith)

For the second time this month we have a crazy match. We started well and it looked good for us when Adeyemo chased a through ball with the covering defender making a short backpass. Eventually Rangers equalised though before O'Brien gave up a controversial penalty and with heads dropping Boyle completed his hattrick as Rangers looked to be cruising. I tweak the tactics though as we take a more aggressive approach and Adeyemo drags us back into the match just before the break. McKeown scores from a corner to draw us level and when Saunders smashes us into the lead its Rangers that look to be rocking. They settle again though with White equalising before Frempah gives up another stupid penalty from a through ball into the channel. By the time Wilson heads in a corner the match is over but there is still time for Adeyemo to complete his hattrick as he intercepts another backpass. We proved we could score but terrible defending and bad decisions mean we again come away with nothing.

Tuesday 28th August 2018 – Scottish League Cup (2nd Round)

Raith Rovers (Premiership) 2-0 Livingston (League 1)

Goals: McKenna (41), Barrett (74)

MOTM: Barrett (7.7)

Attendance: 2,908

At home to a League 1 side should be an easy win but we were in the same division last season and we are struggling badly. With several of the squad players in the team I'm happy we make a positive start and look in control of the match. Even in a cup match Dingwall seems to be struggling but its his dilly-dallying in the box that sees the ball roll loose and 18yo McKenna doesn't hesitiate to run onto it drilling in to give us the lead. Livingston create just the one chance of note which Crowe pushes wide while a corner sees Obileye flick on for Barrett to volley in at the far post to book our place in the 3rd Round. Overall a solid performance, Barrett impressed at the back while McKenna looked ready to step up in midfield.

Transfer News

Its been a rough start to life in the Premiership and its clear we are a little short of quality. DR is our weakest area and with room in the wage budget I look over the scout reports. There are three possibilities who are unattached and I'm pleased my first target has dropped his wage demands somewhat:

Danny Holmes (29yo English DR/DC) – Unattached

A product of the Tranmere Rovers (English League 1) youth academy and aside from a loan spell at Southport and two years in Wales with TNS he has spent his whole career with them. I suspect they couldn't afford his contract demands in the summer and they released him but after failing to find a club his demands have dropped to an affordable level for us. Much more defensive and has more quality than both Thomson & Oyebanjo. Really suits our formations and will play DR when we play four at the back, DC when we play with wingbacks.

96%20Holmes.png

We are also short of quality up front with Dingwall not performing and Murray out for a significant period. I turn to a player we've had on trial before and is still unattached:

Steven Ross (25yo Scottish ST) – Unattached

Started his career at Ross County before moving onto Hearts when they got relegated. When they released him two years ago we tried to sign him but he chose to join Motherwell. I'm not expecting him to dislodge the likes of Adeyemo but he is a hard working team player who adds depth for us up front.

97%20Ross.png

Transfer Window Roundup

I expected to see more money spent now we are in the Premership and that proved to be the case but most of it was also recouped in sales. Its no surprise that Celtic were involved in the big transfers as they sold a striker to Swansea for £5.25m & a midfielder to Hannover (Germany) for £1.4m before bringing in a winger for £5m from Legia Warsaw (Poland) & a DL from Partick Thistle for £1.6m. Partick put the money to good use bringing in five players, most notably a MC from GIF Sundsvall (Sweden) for £525k and a former youth product of ours, ST Lewis Vaughan from Rangers (£425k). Rangers also raised £1.6m by selling a ST to Nice (France) and used the money to bring in six players, five from Scottish clubs and a DL from Debrecen (Hungary) for £425k. St Mirren, Hearts & Hibs also spent a decent amount on new signings the biggest one being St Mirren paying £575k for a MC from Molde (Norway).

Player News

We might have made a poor start but Ola Adeyemo did well and comes 3rd in the “Player of the Month”

98%20League%20Table%20Aug%202018.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

September 2018

Saturday 1st September 2018 – Scottish Premiership (5/38)

St Mirren (9th) 2-0 Raith Rovers (12th)

Goals: Bigirimana (5, 64)

MOTM: Bigirimana (9.0) (St Mirren)

Milestone: Steven Ross – Debut for Raith Rovers

We make a decent start but luck isn't on our side as Bigirimana curls a shot into the far corner from outside the box. Its a reasonably even match as we limit St Mirren to long shots while we struggle to hit the target. One clear chance is all St Mirren can manage which Crowe pushes wide but we again get kicked in the teeth as Bigirimana finds the net again from 30 yards in the second half. With heads dropping we never look like getting back in the match as more points slip away from us.

Match Injury

Rory McKeown (DL) – Out for 3/4 weeks with a twisted knee.

U20 Match Injuries

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle.

Ross Holt (MC) – Out for 3/4 months with a fractured skull.

Saturday 15th September 2018 – Scottish Premiership (6/38)

Raith Rovers (12th) 1-1 Hibernian (2nd)

Goals: Ross (90) ; Hanlon (33)

MOTM: Hanlon (8.1) (Hibernian)

Attendance: 5,966

Milestone: Steven Ross - 1st Goal for Raith Rovers

Milestone: Scott Robinson - 150th Career League Appearance

Morale isn't good but I try to encourage the team and we again make a decent start. Hibernian are the better team but we have a good share of possession and restrict their opportunities. It only takes one chance though and a good passing move sees Hanlon with a little space to drill in. That proves to be the only chance of the match for either side until deep into injury time when a freekick is played into Ross who plays a one-two before firing in to earn us a good point.

Training Injury

Danny Holmes (DR) – Out for about 10 days with a gashed head.

Saturday 22nd September 2018 – Scottish Premiership (7/38)

Raith Rovers (11th) 1-0 Partick Thistle (6th)

Goals: Obileye (64)

MOTM: Obileye (7.9)

Attendance: 5,221

I wasn't planning on using the 352 formation but Partick line up in an odd defensive 42121 formation that suits it. Our passing is terrible early on which puts the defence under pressure but Partick have just the one chance to show for it which is blasted well wide. As I tweak the tactics we come into the game and by halftime I feel we have a real chance of taking something from the match. Partick switch to 442 though in the second half which isn't ideal and pins our wingbacks back but we still match them with both sides creating a couple of half chances. We focussed on attacking set pieces this week and it pays off as Obileye heads in a corner. Its a nervy finish but we hold on to register our first win of the season in the Premiership.

Training Injury

Lanre Oyebanjo (DR) – Out for 3/4 weeks with a damaged shoulder.

Wednesday 26th September 2018 – Scottish League Cup (3rd Round)

Partick Thistle (Premiership) 3-4 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Vaughan (24), Lawless (pen 30), Caddis (73) ; McKeown (28), Saunders (54), Duffy (pen 63), Adeyemo (79)

MOTM: Adeyemo (8.7)

As we have met the board's expectations I switch to 442 with a few fringe players in the team. Laidlaw starts in goal, McKenna in midfield while with Oyebanjo & Holmes injured Barrett covers at DR. Its a much more open match than the league game with Partick having the edge in the first half. Vaughan sees a good chance saved but makes up for it by drilling in a shot from the edge of the box. McKeown equalises with a freekick before Barrett gives up a soft penalty just inside the box. The team step up in the second half and a scramble from a corner sees three shots blasted into a crowd. This fires the team up and when a defender misses a header its Saunders that rounds the keeper to equalise for a second time. Robinson then wins a penalty to put us in the lead before I look to switch to 352 to tighten up at the back. Before I can get the orders out onto the field a good passing move sees Caddis fire in but the team respond again with some good passing ending with Adeyemo netting the winner to send us into the quarter finals.

Match Injury

Ben Frempah (DC) – Out for about 10 days with a bruised rib.

Scottish League Cup Quarter Final Draw

Eight premiership teams go into the hat and we get drawn at home to Hibernian.

Saturday 29th September 2018 – Scottish Premiership (8/38)

Ross County (8th) 1-2 Raith Rovers (11th)

Goals: Shaughnessy (28) ; Adeyemo (66), Saunders (84)

MOTM: Barr (8.2) (Ross County)

Milestone: Rory McKeown - 150th Career League Appearance

Its a bad start as we struggle to pass the ball but after tweaking the tactics we take a more aggressive approach pushing Ross County back forcing them to play long. This gives us better possession as we look the more likely to make something happen but against the run of play a wide freekick falls to Shaughnessy who forces it in. We press on and after the break we look the more motivated as we put their defence under pressure. Subs give us the extra spark we need as a good passing move finds Adeyemo in the box who slots in. A late injury to Callachan means we are down to 10 men but Saunders' turn & shot from the edge of the box flies into the top corner as lady luck shines down our way for once. It was a good performance and the team are starting to believe they can compete in this division.

Player News

The two goals scored by Bigirimana in our 2-0 defeat by St Mirren come 1st & 3rd in the “Goal of the Month” award.

99%20League%20Table%20Sep%202018.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

October 2018

Saturday 6th October 2018 – Scottish Premiership (9/38)

Hamilton Academical (12th) 0-2 Raith Rovers (7th)

Goals: Saunders (19, 26)

MOTM: Saunders (9.0)

Milestone: Danny Holmes – Debut for Raith Rovers

With a bit of match fitness under his belt Danny Holmes makes his debut and despite being more defensive I think he has the skills to play wingback. Hamilton start well as they look motivated while we look a little off the pace. We ride our luck early on before Saunders powers a header in from a Holmes cross. His second minutes later rocks Hamilton as he drills in a shot from the edge of the box. With the game much more even both teams pressure the goal. For us Adeyemo is having an offday as he sees three good chances wasted while the same can be said for Hamilton in general although Laidlaw makes some good saves. Saunders made the difference though as we claim an important win.

Training Injuries

Danny Holmes (DR) – Out for 3 weeks with a chest injury.

Ross Laidlaw (GK) – Out for about 2 weeks with a strained wrist.

International Duty Injury

Steve McKenna (MC) – Out for 3 months with a broken ankle.

U20 Match Injury

Russell Dingwall (ST) – Out for 3/4 weeks with a twisted knee.

Saturday 20th October 2018 – Scottish Premiership (10/38)

Raith Rovers (6th) 2-0 Celtic (3rd)

Goals: Saunders (50), Ross (71)

MOTM: Saunders (8.3)

Attendance: 7,751

I'm expecting the worse so decide to use the match to keep fitness up on a few fringe players. With nothing to lose I look to play positively and its works well as we pin the defence back and stop Celtic controlling possession. One half chance is all they have to show in the first half as our post is rattled from a very narrow angle. Saunders is proving to be a great loan signing for us as he finds the net with what becoming a trademark strike from just outside the box. With something to defend the team are motivated as the tackles fly in with Celtic having no time on the ball. They do create one good chance which Crowe saves before Ross directs in a Robinson cross to seal a massive & unexpected win. Looking at the Celtic team we seem to have caught them on an offday with a few injuries & tired players from International duty.

Saturday 27th October 2018 – Scottish Premiership (11/38)

Hearts (10th) 1-0 Raith Rovers (6th)

Goals: Paterson (70)

MOTM: Paterson (8.1) (Hearts)

We make a good start and are the more positive team in the first half. Despite this poor passing means we struggle to create good chances with the only one falling to Duffy from a short freekick. Hearts grow in confidence in the second half and the longer the game goes the more possession they have. Out of nothing Paterson manages to squeeze a header past Crowe to claim the points. Really annoyed at the team for this one, the match was there for the taking but they lacked an edge to force a goal.

Wednesday 31st October 2018 – Scottish League Cup (Quarter Final)

Raith Rovers (Premiership) 0-1 Hibernian (Premiership)

Goals: Cummings (45)

MOTM: Polworth (7.3) (Hibernian)

Attendance: 5,756

Hibernian are flying high in the league but I feel with home advantage this is definitely a match we have a chance in. That idea goes out of the window immediately as our complete inability to pass the ball is once again an issue. If we can't pass we can't get the ball forward and end up defending far too much. Despite defending well eventually Hibernian make the breakthrough when Cummings finds the net. I try to change things round in the second round but it makes no difference as for the second match in a row I'm furious with the team for throwing a game away.

Match Injury

Ryan Conroy (ML) – Out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle.

Player News

We might have had some bad results but Callum Saunders did enough to be named “Player of the Month”

100%20League%20Table%20Oct%202018.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

November 2018

Scottish Cup 3rd Round Draw

We get a tough draw as we are at home to holders, Dundee Utd.

Training Injury

Rory McKeown (DL) – Out for 2 weeks with a strained wrist.

Saturday 10th November 2018 – Scottish Premiership (12/38)

Dundee Utd (4th) 2-0 Raith Rovers (6th)

Goals: Morris (7), Souttar (82)

MOTM: McGowan (9.0) (Dundee Utd)

Milestone: Ayo Obileye - 100th Career League Appearance

Another tough game but our passing is better than it has been and we match Dundee Utd for long periods. We are again fighting from behind though as every man & his dog has a long throw expert nowadays and when we only half clear an early one the resulting drilled cross flies in off Morris. Aside from that Dundee Utd create little while we have a couple of half chances of our own in the second half. As we push for an equaliser another long throw is only half cleared and when it comes back into the box Laidlaw doesn't get there allowing Souttar to direct the ball into an empty net. Dundee Utd had more possession and shots as you would expect given they were the bigger side at home but it was just frustrating the way we conceded.

Saturday 24th November 2018 – Scottish Premiership (13/38)

Raith Rovers (8th) 4-3 Inverness CT (9th)

Goals: Adeyemo (18, 36, 44, 52) ; Tansey (pen 14), Ferguson (55, 77)

MOTM: Adeyemo (9.6)

Attendance: 5,275

No goals & no points from the last three matches means a change as I switch to 442 and rotate the team. It seems to work as we are the better team early on but Inverness win a controversial penalty when Holmes holds his ground in the box. I'm a little worried we won't respond but the team does with Adeyemo showing his clinical side as we storm into a 4-1 lead. A mix up between Holmes & Egan sees the ball roll loose leaving Ferguson one on one with Crowe while he adds another when Crowe lets a soft shot roll through his hands. That makes for a nervy finish but we hold on for an important win.

Match Injury

Liam McCroary (DM) – Out for 3/4 weeks with a groin strain.

Player News

Ola Adeyemo (ST) is named “Player of the Month”

101%20League%20Table%20Nov%202018.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

December 2018

Saturday 1st December 2018 – Scottish Cup (4th Round)

Raith Rovers (Premiership) 1-1 Dundee Utd (Premiership)

Goals: Saunders (48) ; Erskine (29)

MOTM: Holmes (7.8)

Attendance: 5,202

With wingbacks not working so well against Dundee Utd last week I switch to the 4132 as I look to deal with their narrow formation. It works better and our passing is better but Dundee Utd look the more dangerous in the first half. We limit their chances but one half chance goes in as we are short when they break quickly. I encourage the team at half time and we get an early equaliser when Saunders rises to head in a Holmes cross. Neither side really come close to netting a winner with set pieces and long shots the order of the day as we have to settle for a replay.

Scottish Cup 5th Round Draw

If we can get past Dundee Utd its an away tie vs Partick Thistle (Premiership) or Cove Rangers (League 2).

Tuesday 4th December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (14/38)

Aberdeen (5th) 2-4 Raith Rovers (7th)

Goals: Hayes (7), Rooney (18) ; Saunders (40), Adeyemo (55), Barrett (57), O'Brien (71)

MOTM: Callachan (8.3)

Milestone: Jamie Masson - 150th Career League Appearance

Aberdeen are in a poor run of form and the media think we are the favourites but I don't see it that way. Hayes & Rooney give Aberdeen an early lead from their first two shots of the match and neither of them are really chances. Its looking bad for us but we settle and work our way into the match with Saunders heading in a Holmes cross before the break. More encouragement at halftime does the trick as we are the better team in the second half. Adeyemo's turn & shot pulls us level before Barrett heads us into the lead from a corner. O'Brien wraps up a good win with a freekick although Aberdeen do put us under pressure in the final stages.

Sunday 9th December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (15/38)

Raith Rovers (6th) 1-0 Rangers (1st)

Goals: Robinson (77)

Attendance: 7,444

Rangers pack the midfield which gives me a dilemma. I would normally go for the 442 but it does leave the defence a little open against good teams so I stick with the 4132 that has served us well the last couple of matches despite concerns that we may end up getting pushed back into our final third. In the end I needn't have worried as we match up well in midfield with the fullbacks giving us good width going forwards. Despite having plenty of possession we fail to make it count going forwards leaving Rangers having the bulk of shots in the first half. They have a couple of sights of goal but Crowe saves one while another is blocked. We have our best spell after the break with two good chances falling to Murray, unfortunately he can't convert maybe partially as a result of match fitness as he continues his comeback from a bad injury. A knock forces him off which brings Adeyemo on and the next chance falls his way after a Conroy first time pass but he seems surprised by the pass fluffing the shot. Just as it looks like our chance has gone McKeown fires a sublime cross in from the left just in the right area asking to be attacked and Robinson does just that volleying in at the far post. Rangers press in the final stages but we look comfortable to chalk up a really good win.

Wednesday 12th December 2018 – Scottish Cup (4th Round Replay)

Dundee Utd (Premiership) 1-3 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Erskine (58) ; Murray (1, 50), Morris (og 40)

Milestone: Ross Holt – Debut for Raith Rovers

Confidence is high after recent results while the team is looking comfortable with the 4132. We make a flying start when a vicious Duffy shot from 30 yards is pushed wide and from the half cleared corner Doughty picks out the unmarked Murray who finds the far corner. Its a fairly even first half but we are strong in defence and threaten coming forward. Just before the break McKeown drills a cross into the near post, Adeyemo gets a touch which goes in off Morris while the other side of the break sees Murray head in a right wing cross as we take a solid lead. Dundee Utd respond and Erskine heads in to give them hope but we defend in numbers to claim a spot in the 5th Round.

Saturday 15th December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (16/38)

Hibernian (3rd) 0-1 Raith Rovers (6th)

Goals: Adeyemo (62)

MOTM: Oyebanjo (8.0)

Hibernian bring an attacking 4231 formation which suits our 4132 but leaves us playing on the backfoot for much of the first half. We defend well limiting them to one half chance while testing their defence from time to time. They switch to 442 in the second half which works against them to some extent as we control midfield while they threaten down the flanks. I'm not bothered about them putting crosses in the box as the defence confidently keeps them out while at the other end Adeyemo heads in to break the deadlock. Hibernian come close to an equaliser as Cummings heads against the bar before putting their best chance of the game the wrong side of the post. A close game which could have gone either way earns us another three solid points.

Training Injury

Paddy Barrett (DC) – Out for 5/7 weeks with strained ankle ligaments

Wednesday 19th December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (17/38)

Raith Rovers (5th) 1-0 St Mirren (6th)

Goals: Duffy (pen 79)

MOTM: Kelleher (7.4)

Attendance: 6,742

Milestone: John Egan - 150th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Rory McKeown - 100th League Appearance for Raith Rovers

With St Mirren packing the midfield both teams struggle to create anything. A half chance for St Mirren while Murray sees a good chance blocked for a corner. A 0-0 draw is looking odds on favourite until a corner sees Adeyemo bundled over for a soft penalty which Duffy converts to seal an undeserved win.

Saturday 22nd December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (18/38)

Partick Thistle (9th) 2-1 Raith Rovers (5th)

Goals: Balde (58), Doolan (pen 60) ; Saunders (34)

MOTM: Balde (7.7)

Its a cold snowy day as Partick seem to deal better with the conditions early on. We soon get to grips with it though and have the lead when Saunders heads in a Holmes cross. Its a fairly even game and Partick equalise when sub, Balde finds half a yard in the box to hit a first time shot. Minutes later we are once again the creators of our own demise as Frempah bundles over a striker just inside the box. Doolan puts the penalty away as our win streak comes to an end.

Wednesday 26th December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (19/38)

Raith Rovers (5th) 1-0 Hamilton Academical (12th)

Goals: Saunders (88)

MOTM: McKeown (7.8)

Attendance: 6,063

One win & three draws is Hamilton's record so far this season in the league so its no surprise they come to defend. With two DMs they prove difficult to break down while we probably let them have too much easy possession at the back early on. Injury to Murray midway through the first half brings Saunders on and he adds a spark up front hitting the post from a narrow angle with out best chance. Its more of the same in second half as several half chances go begging while both Egan & then Saunders hit the bar with headers from set pieces. Better late than never though with time running out McKeown picks out Saunders with a cross and he volleys to seal a deserved win.

Match Injury

Simon Murray (ST) – Out for two months with a torn groin muscle

U20 Match Injury

Steven Ross (ST) – Out for two months with strained knee ligaments

Saturday 29th December 2018 – Scottish Premiership (20/38)

Raith Rovers (5th) 2-0 Ross County (11th)

Goals: Adeyemo (16), Frempah (21)

MOTM: Callachan (8.8)

Attendance: 6,046

Milestone: Ola Adeyemo - 50th Careeer League Goal

The recent snow turns to rain as both sides look to play positive football testing the keepers from distance while both Duffy & Saunders attempt long range chips that go over the bar. With the defences looking relatively comfortable its Adeyemo's run into the channel that gets picked out and his first time shot finds the inside of the post to give us the lead. A set piece leads to the second when a throw is taken short before being squared for O'Brien to drill a shot, its blocked but the ball falls to Frempah to smash in. The two quick goals seem to take the fight out of Ross County as we ease to a solid win without really breaking sweat.

Manager News

Five home games in December have finally turned our bank balance positive so I take the opportunity to ask the board again to let me take a coaching course. For over three years they've refused because they couldn't afford the cost but this time they finally agree – The cost of the course? £600.

102%20Coaching%20Course.png

Player/Manager News

Our Irish contingent get recognised as Ola Adeyemo is named runner up & Fiacre Kelleher comes third in the “Irish Young Player of the Year” award.

While at home our run of wins sees me named “Manager of the Month”.

103%20League%20Table%20Dec%202018.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

January 2019

Transfer News

Club captain Jason Thomson is struggling to make the first team nowadays and simply doesn't have the quality for this level. I promised I would sell him back in November and with less than six months on his contract I offer him out for nothing when the window opens. Morton (Championship) & Alloa (League 1) both offer him a way out but he turns them both down so it seems he is here until the summer.

In terms of transfers in I have plenty of possible targets but we simply can't afford them at present, even on bosmans. I've pushed the wage & transfer budgets to the limit by agreeing new deals with players whose contracts finish at the end of the season. Only three players now have contracts ending in 2019 – 31yo Ryan Conroy (ML) who is on the decline, 25yo Rory McKeown (DL) who has a poor attitude off the pitch & 26yo Scott Robinson (MRC) who seems to be easily replaceable.

It also looks to be a quiet window on the sale side with no interest being shown in any of my squad at the moment. In fact looking around the league there isn't much going on with the biggest talking point being St Mirren sacking their manager and who the replacement will be with several names in the hat including the managers of Partick Thistle & Motherwell.

Wednesday 2nd January 2019 – Scottish Premiership (21/38)

Celtic (2nd) 2-0 Raith Rovers (5th)

Goals: Igboun (45), Eder (74)

MOTM: Shinnie (7.8) (Celtic)

Celtic's two main strikers are out injured which gives us hope but from the off we are under pressure at the back. We cope reasonably well aside from Callachan's bad touch in the box gifting them a chance which is pulled wide. With halftime approaching it looks good until a quick passing move sees Igboun with a snap shot to give them the lead. Early in the second half we have our best spell with a deep cross finding Adeyemo at the back post but he puts it the wrong side of the post before he lays off for Dingwall to hit a soft shot which is easily saved. As we push for an equaliser we get caught on the break with Igboun finding the unmarked Eder at the far post to seal the win. It could all have been different had we took our chances but I guess something is going right when you are disappointed to lose away to Celtic.

Saturday 19th January 2019 – Scottish Premiership (22/38)

Raith Rovers (5th) 2-0 Hearts (6th)

Goals: Obileye (11), Dingwall (59)

MOTM: McKeown (8.7)

Attendance: 7,193

Milestone: Danny Holmes - 350th Career League Appearance

I really want a win in this match, not because we need it but just so the media shut up about how I've never beaten Hearts. We make a good start and when a long throw is only half cleared its spread wide to McKeown who picks out Obileye in the box. Despite having the lead Hearts edge the first half having the better of possession and more shots although nothing of note. With Murray & Ross both injured Dingwall has been given another chance but he doesn't do himself any favours as he misses the target with a half chance either side of halftime. He does finally make up for it though when Saunders & Doughty combine to play him in and that signals the end of the hoodoo as we cruise to the win.

Sunday 27th January 2019 – Scottish Premiership (23/38)

Raith Rovers (4th) 2-1 Dundee Utd (5th)

Goals: Saunders (64), Horic (og 88) ; da Silva (2)

MOTM: Kelleher (7.2)

Attendance: 7,282

Not sure why but Dundee Utd are virtually unplayable at the start as we struggle to keep them in check. da Silva opens the scoring but it takes a Crowe save and a block on the line to keep it at one. After some tweaks we work our way into the match and Adeyemo should have equalised just before the break when Kelleher puts a diagonal ball on a plate for him. We have control in the second half and Saunders levels the match when O'Brien picks him out in the box. A draw would probably have been a fair result but with time running out Adeyemo steps over a drilled cross at the near post with the ball flying in off his marker as we start to think about perhaps European qualification.

Wednesday 30th January 2019 – Scottish Premiership (24/38)

Raith Rovers (4th) 1-0 Aberdeen (7th)

Goals: Dingwall (50)

MOTM: Crowe (7.5)

Attendance: 6,491

10 games to go and we are looking to finish the top side of the split. We signal our intent with our first attack as McKeown's cross finds Dingwall but his header comes back off the bar. Thats as far as it goes early on though as Aberdeen pack the midfield while our 4132 also lends itself to solid defence. Aberdeen eventually have the better share of possession with Crowe making two good saves to keep them out. After I tweak the tactics we pressure them more and a missed header sees Adeyemo one-on-one with the keeper only to hit the post. We make the breakthrough early in the second half when Adeyemo is picked out in the box, he could have easily taken the shot but he chooses to square it for Dingwall to smash past the keeper. With a lead to defend the team look motivated and they need to be as Aberdeen push hard in the final stages but we hold on to move up to 3rd in the league.

Transfer Window Roundup

It proved to be a relatively quiet transfer window but a couple of transfers really stood out. Dundee Utd did their finances no harm at all as they sold their homegrown 22yo Scottish international DC, John Souttar to Swansea (English Premier Division) for £8.25m. They also sold a fringe DR to St Mirren for £240k and brought in a Bosnian DC from Hungarian side Debrecen for £400k.

The other club to make money was Rangers as they sold another Scottish international DC, 27yo Danny Wilson to Hull City (English Premier Division) for £3.2m. They replaced him with a 26yo Norwegian DC from Haugesund (Norwegian Premier Division) for £275k while also bringing in a DR from Motherwell (£145k) & a 17yo AMC from Ross County (£110k). The only other transfer of note was Ross County reinvesting the money into a 22yo MR from Hearts.

Dundee Utd also stated their intent by bringing in two loan deals from parent club, Athletic Club (Spanish Liga BBVA). 26yo DR Unai Bustinza looks a quality signing for this level but the real news is 24yo Liberian international ST, Inaki Williams who has the speed, strength and an eye for goal to really make a difference.

104%20League%20Table%20Jan%202019.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

February 2019

Saturday 2nd February 2019 – Scottish Premiership (25/38)

Inverness CT (10th) 2-2 Raith Rovers (3rd)

Goals: Christie (11), Calder (17) ; Saunders (60), Adeyemo (70)

MOTM: Christie (8.0) (Inverness CT)

Its a fairly even start but luck goes the way of Inverness as two crosses produce two goals as we seem a little off the pace early on. We don't seem to be playing badly but just don't get the rub og the green while being two behind puts us under pressure. We stick at it though and eventually pull one back when McKeown picks out Saunders who volleys in. This gives the team confidence and Adeyemo equalises after a Saunders shot is blocked. We finish the stronger but a draw is probably a fair result.

Wednesday 6th February 2019 – Scottish Premiership (26/38)

Rangers (2nd) 3-0 Raith Rovers (3rd)

Goals: Muirhead (pen 2), Boyle (38), White (50)

MOTM: Boyle (8.3) (Rangers)

I'm expecting a tough game but we shoot ourselves in the foot early when we fail to clear a long throw with Saunders bringing down a player when stretching for the ball. He nearly makes up for it minutes later but rattles the bar with a header from a corner. We match Rangers for much of the first half but our failure to clear a corner leads to a second. By the time White volleys in a right wing cross after the break the game is lost and its a case of just going through the motions. We weren't that bad but it was just a case of Rangers creating and taking the better chances while we didn't. The defence could have done better while Saunders was off his game up front.

Saturday 9th February 2019 – Scottish Cup (5th Round)

Partick Thistle (Premiership) 2-3 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Vaughan (80), Doolan (89) ; Dingwall (9, 26, 61)

MOTM: Dingwall (9.5)

Its a good start and the early lead when Adeyemo's reverse ball finds the unmarked Dingwall, his first touch is heavy but he gets a toe end to the ball to direct it in. His second chance is a much more confident finish when Adeyemo again finds his run in the channel and in the second half he completes his hattrick heading in a right wing cross. With Partick offering nothing we seem to be cruising into the quarter finals but that all changes towards the end of the match. Out of nothing Laidlaw seems to be badly positioned as Vaughan heads in a left wing cross before Doolan buries what is Partick's only real chance of the match. What should have been a comfortable win has turned into a nervy finish but we hold on to make the quarter finals.

Scottish Cup Quarter Final Draw

It could have been worse and it could have been better as we get drawn away to Hamilton who are adrift at the bottom of the Premiership.

Training Injury

Ross Laidlaw (GK) – Out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle

Saturday 16th February 2019 – Scottish Premiership (27/38)

Raith Rovers (3rd) 1-0 Hibernian (4th)

Goals: Egan (75)

MOTM: Egan (8.1)

Attendance: 8,537

Hibernian make the more positive start as our passing again comes back to haunt us. With some tweaks we settle and its a much more even game but both teams are poor with defences well on top. With just one half chance for each team a 0-0 draw looks the likely outcome until we steal the points late on when Egan climbs high to head in a corner.

Saturday 23rd February 2019 – Scottish Premiership (28/38)

St Mirren (7th) 3-2 Raith Rovers (3rd)

Goals: Konradsen (51), Mallan (53), McGinn (68) ; Callachan (23), Adeyemo (52)

MOTM: Konradsen (7.8) (St Mirren)

St Mirren have a very attacking formation which causes us early problems as we ride our luck. With some tweaks we start to work our way into the match while against the run of play Callachan muscles his way in front of a defender to force in a McKeown cross. The rest of the half is much more even until the floodgates open in the second. St Mirren slice open our defence a number of times with diagonal balls as Konradsen, Mallan & McGinn all find the net while at the other end Adeyemo also shows a clinical touch. We push for an equaliser in the final stages forcing a few half chances but its not to be as we slip to defeat.

Player News

Ryan Conroy comes to me about his lack of first team football. He has started four of our nine games since Xmas on the left of a three man midfield which isn't his natural ML position but I still can't ignore that he has been very average while the coaches feel he has declined since the start of the season. The fans love him but the truth is he isn't cut out for this level anymore and I agree to release him when his contract ends in May.

105%20League%20Table%20Feb%202019.png

Scotland

Raith Rovers

March 2019

Youth Intake

Once again 16 youngsters join the club. Now we are in the Premiership I kinda expected less potential first teamers and that proved to be the case. A handful will dream of the first team with three worthy of mention. The coaches don't really rate striker Callum Malin that highly but he seems to have some ability while the two clear stars are once again in midfield. AMC Ryan Thomson looks raw but has a good touch and plenty of pace while the coaches are excited by Alan Cameron who is a technical two footed player with a good footballing brain and plenty of room to improve.

106%20Youth%20Intake%20March%202019.png

107%20Cameron.png

Saturday 2nd March 2019 – Scottish Premiership (29/38)

Raith Rovers (3rd) 4-1 Partick Thistle (8th)

Goals: Murray (19, 64), Obileye (40), Adeyemo (48) ; Doolan (71)

Attendance: 6,859

Murray returns from his second serious injury of the season and despite not being match fit shows he still has a clinical edge when Callachan finds his run. A freekick sees Obileye lose his marker to make it two before the break while Adeyemo volleys in a Holmes cross just after. Partick do respond putting the defence under pressure but Crowe is on form keeping them out while a quick break sees Murray add a fourth. Doolan finally gets Partick on the scoresheet but its just a consolation as we secure the points which virtually guarantees us a top six place.

Training Injury

Ben Frempah (DC) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a back strain

Steven Ross (ST) – Out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle

Sunday 10th March 2019 – Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)

Hamilton Academical (Premiership) 2-2 Raith Rovers (Premiership)

Goals: Donnelly (12, 22) ; Masson (20), Duffy (pen 80)

MOTM: Donnelly (8.8) (Hamilton)

Its an even start but we make the breakthrough when Saunders heads in a wide freekick, only for the ref to rule it offside in one of the worst decisions I've seen in FM (See pic below). With the team fuming Donnelly takes advantage to put Hamilton in front. Masson equalises when Duffy's initial shot is blocked but we again lose concentration at the back as Donnelly restores Hamilton's lead. With everyone annoyed including myself the second half takes us to breaking point as Saunders, Murray & Adeyemo all see point blank clear chances saved but eventually luck swings our way when Robinson wins a soft penalty which Duffy despatches to earn us a replay.

108%20Offside.png

Sunday 17th March 2019 – Scottish Premiership (30/38)

Hamilton Academical (12th) 0-1 Raith Rovers (3rd)

Goals: Murray (4)

We return again to Hamilton just a week later for what is now the second of a triple header with the cup replay following in midweek. With just the one point needed to confirm a top six place before the split this is a good match to secure it with. We make a good start and Murray gives us the early lead when Holmes picks him out in the box. Hamilton seem to go into their shell after that as they play keep ball at the back which doesn't bother us when we have the lead. They create just one chance in the match which Crowe saves while Murray hits the side netting from a narrow angle for us. All in all there were few shots from either side in the match as we cruise to a steady win.

Scottish Cup Semi Final Draw

If we manage to get past Hamilton we face Aberdeen who edged out Celtic.

Wednesday 20th March 2019 – Scottish Cup (Quarter Final Replay)

Raith Rovers (Premiership) 1-0 Hamilton Academical (Premiership)

Goals: Saunders (50)

MOTM: Saunders (8.2)

Attendance: 8,478

Hamilton set their stall out early with two DMs they defend deep and aggressive as we struggle to break them down. On the flipside we have few issues dealing with their long balls and with both teams nullifying each other the first half sees no chances of any note. The deadlock is broken early in the second though when McKeown bursts 70 yards down the left before picking out Saunders who rises high to nod in. With Hamilton forced to attack the match opens up a bit and Adeyemo should have put us two up when Saunders flicks a direct ball on but his shot is tipped over. Hamilton come close at the other end when a cross sees a header come back off the bar before McKeown sees a second good chance flash past the post. We are comfortable though and see out the match to book a place in the semi finals.

International News

On loan Callum Saunders is included in the Wales squad while Steve McKenna is once again in the Scotland U19s.

Training Injury

Lanre Oyebanjo (DR) – Out for about two weeks with a strained neck.

Saturday 23rd March 2019 – Scottish Premiership (31/38)

Ross County (11th) 1-1 Raith Rovers (3rd)

Goals: Egan (og 51) ; Murray (19)

MOTM: Murray (8.5)

An even start sees both defences in control as both sides struggle going forwards. With nothing happening Murray sparks everyone into life with a curled shot from 25 yards which opens the game up. Ross County's best chances come from scrambles in the box while Murray sees no less than three good chances saved while another is ruled marginally offside. The second half sees Ross County equalise with another scrambled effort which bounces in off Egan and they finish the stronger as we are holding on somewhat towards the end.

Player/Manager News

Simon Murray's good performances see him come 2nd in the “Player of the Month” while I'm 3rd in the “Manager of the Month”

109%20League%20Table%20March%202019.png

Archived