This doesn't seem right

I found this 'English' keeper that had recently been released from a club in the MLS so I decided to offer a contract considering that he's English. Then I find out he needs a work permit, it gets rejected, fine I can deal with that. But he's not eligible to play for England, that's what I can't understand. And shouldn't the days to gain nationality be there then?. I'm confused :confused:

Al_Clark_Overview_Profile.png

Al_Clark_Overview_Information.png

He isn't "English"

His nationality is "American" and he can speak "English"

EDIT

The days to gain nationality bit I don't think is there because he doesn't have a WP. He can't gain days until he is elligible to play.

It looks like - strangely enough - the guy was born in England but doesn't actually have English as a second nationality. Seems like a bug with this guy being generated, as I would've thought he'd be English first, with American second nationality if he really needed it, given he was born in the country.

It looks like - strangely enough - the guy was born in England but doesn't actually have English as a second nationality. Seems like a bug with this guy being generated, as I would've thought he'd be English first, with American second nationality if he really needed it, given he was born in the country.
He was born in England so he shouldn't need a WP. This must be a bug.

Just being born in England isn't enough to automatically gain English nationality, there are other rules they must meet first.

A common one is if the child lives in England for the first 10 years of his life he will automatically gain English nationality, another is if one of his parents is a British/English citizen.

In the OPs example one way it could happen is if both parents are US military serving in the UK and returning to the USA before the child turns 10yos.

Seeing as in the Uk place of birth does not determine citizenship, as Jus Soli is not really practiced in the UK, or indeed outside of the Americas, it's not a bug in the slightest, as Cougar sets out above your post..

Really don't think this would be coded into Football Manager. If he was a regen born in England and doesn't have English eligibility, i'd be willing to bet it's a bug.

Or the guy used the in-game editor to change nationality to American.

If you are born in England then you get citizenship,its automatic

Simply untrue. There is no automatic right to citizenship based on birth. People without UK citizenship on holiday there who give birth, people here for work reasons, military personnel and many more, if they or someone visiting them gives birth here there is no automatic (or even likely) citizenship granted.

This also works in reverse, I know several people born abroad who have UK citizenship and not the citizenship of the country they were born in.

It's not true you get automatic citizenship but I doubt SI would code that in.

and I'm reasonably confident that they did and it has been the case for many years.

Obviously its not totally in depth but the basic concept is there that a player can be born in a different country to his nationality.

and I'm reasonably confident that they did and it has been the case for many years.

Obviously its not totally in depth but the basic concept is there that a player can be born in a different country to his nationality.

It should be splashed on the FM 16 box in big letters: "Fully Simulated UK Nationality Rules!!!"

In slightly smaller letters "Match engine still broken until second patch"

Archived