Goal Keepers taking free kicks

oh... you mean a free kick from your own half

yeah, i think it's just set to the GK/Defs, with the set pieces only coming into effect (for FKs at least) when you're in the attacking third (or when you want your good players taking them)

annoying as hell though, but I've had it work both ways (kicking it out to an onrushing striker, to have him volley it back [he saved it mind, i wooped] and had it done to me, but i put it away :D )

oh... you mean a free kick from your own half

yeah, i think it's just set to the GK/Defs, with the set pieces only coming into effect (for FKs at least) when you're in the attacking third (or when you want your good players taking them)

annoying as hell though, but I've had it work both ways (kicking it out to an onrushing striker, to have him volley it back [he saved it mind, i wooped] and had it done to me, but i put it away :D )

Yea thats it anyway to change it?

Never really understood why people complain about these kind of things. The game engine has decided you're going to concede a goal, and it just happened to show it in a silly scenario. If this bug was fixed the opposition would just have scored a header or something else. Makes no difference.

Never really understood why people complain about these kind of things. The game engine has decided you're going to concede a goal, and it just happened to show it in a silly scenario. If this bug was fixed the opposition would just have scored a header or something else. Makes no difference.

The engine doesn't just automatically force you to concede a goal if the engine didn't suffer from small glitches such as this. In these cases, the bug is there and it works for or against you. It's annoying either way.

You may as well have players pick up the ball and fly it into the net then.

The engine doesn't just automatically force you to concede a goal if the engine didn't suffer from small glitches such as this. In these cases, the bug is there and it works for or against you. It's annoying either way.

Yeah but this isn't FIFA/PES where you're actually controlling what happens and everything is cause and effect. On FM the 2D/3D match engine is just a conceptualisation of what the game decides is going to happen. Apart from your subs and changes to tactics during a game, it could just skip the whole match and show you a scoreline for all it matters.

You may as well have players pick up the ball and fly it into the net then.

Yeah you may as well. The only issue with these bugs is the make the game look a bit silly and unrealistic. They don't actually affect anything.

Yeah but this isn't FIFA/PES where you're actually controlling what happens and everything is cause and effect. On FM the 2D/3D match engine is just a conceptualisation of what the game decides is going to happen. Apart from your subs and changes to tactics during a game, it could just skip the whole match and show you a scoreline for all it matters.

Yeah you may as well. The only issue with these bugs is the make the game look a bit silly and unrealistic. They don't actually affect anything.

''this isn't FIFA/PES where you're controlling what happens''

''apart from subs and changes to tactics''

Managed to contradict yourself in one sentence. I'm not quite sure you understand how the game works.

''this isn't FIFA/PES where you're controlling what happens''

''apart from subs and changes to tactics''

Managed to contradict yourself in one sentence. I'm not quite sure you understand how the game works.

I'm not quite sure you understand how the English language works. Your quotes are not taken from the same sentence at all, because they relate to different things.

Let me rephrase it in the hope you'll have an easier job understanding me.

If you were to play a match where you made no subs or tactical changes, the game may as well have just shown you the result straight away - because what actually happens in the game is only a representation of the score.

I'll try another explanation just in case.

In games like PES/FIFA and indeed real life, the scoreline is a result of the action on the pitch. A team scores a goal because their player kicked the ball in the net. On FM, what you see happen is the result of the scoreline. The game decided Team A are going to score so it showed them scoring.

That's why if the game decides your player is going to waste chance you might see him attempt a shot from 35 yards, even though you've specifcially told him not to take long shots. Or a lower league player might score a 30 yard freekick even though they have a FK stat of 2.

When you manage lower league teams, every match kicks off with your team passing it back once and then smashing it out for a goalkick. Not because that's what happened, just because that's how the match engine portrays a kick off for poor teams.

If you were to play a match where you made no subs or tactical changes, the game may as well have just shown you the result straight away - because what actually happens in the game is only a representation of the score.

Not entirely true, the AI would still make changes, so it would be affected that way

I'm not quite sure you understand how the English language works. Your quotes are not taken from the same sentence at all, because they relate to different things.

Let me rephrase it in the hope you'll have an easier job understanding me.

I'll try another explanation just in case.

In games like PES/FIFA and indeed real life, the scoreline is a result of the action on the pitch. A team scores a goal because their player kicked the ball in the net. On FM, what you see happen is the result of the scoreline. The game decided Team A are going to score so it showed them scoring.

I do actually, but thanks for the lesson.

Just a question, how is your first scenario relevant? Is there any football match where the plan wasn't tweaked in the slightest?

Also, I fully understand that FM isn't played as clearly as it is on FIFA, however it doesn't mean that it's merely representing what would happen anyway. Let me explain - if team A goes out and plays four up front against team B who are substantially better, then the score will reflect this. Likewise, team A could sit back throughout the game, no subs or tactical changes, and they could soak the pressure up. This would also be reflected in the score.

I'm unsure whether you're trying to insinuate that the match engine is completely fixed before the game which isn't entirely true.

Just a question, how is your first scenario relevant? Is there any football match where the plan wasn't tweaked in the slightest?

It's called a hypothetical. Because if I had left out the caveat about there being no subs you would have said that you make subs. It's a hypothetical situation used to illustrate my point. When you stop fretting over it and actually consider the point I'm making you'll have a clearer understanding.

Also, I fully understand that FM isn't played as clearly as it is on FIFA, however it doesn't mean that it's merely representing what would happen anyway. Let me explain - if team A goes out and plays four up front against team B who are substantially better, then the score will reflect this. Likewise, team A could sit back throughout the game, no subs or tactical changes, and they could soak the pressure up. This would also be reflected in the score.

Yes I agree. I'm not saying it's all fixed and the stats/tactics mean nothing. I'm saying if a player is going to score he is going to score. That the match engine shows your goalkeeper doing something ridiculous is not because your goalkeeper is an idiot so much as it's just a weakness in the match engine at portraying something more realistic.

I'm unsure whether you're trying to insinuate that the match engine is completely fixed before the game which isn't entirely true.

I think a large part of it is, but there are then things that happen during the match which can adjust that, such as subs, team talks and so on.

It's called a hypothetical. Because if I had left out the caveat about there being no subs you would have said that you make subs. It's a hypothetical situation used to illustrate my point. When you stop fretting over it and actually consider the point I'm making you'll have a clearer understanding.

Starting your argument in a patronising tone doesn't do you any favours. Also, it still has to be relevant, you talk about realism yet present a scenario which is at the extreme end of the scale. I realise I did this to counter your argument.

Yes I agree. I'm not saying it's all fixed and the stats/tactics mean nothing. I'm saying if a player is going to score he is going to score. That the match engine shows your goalkeeper doing something ridiculous is not because your goalkeeper is an idiot so much as it's just a weakness in the match engine at portraying something more realistic.

It's a weakness in the match engine, that we both agree on. Where we are focusing on is whether the match engine is predominantly fixed in one teams favour. I'm not sure it does.

I think a large part of it is, but there are then things that happen during the match which can adjust that, such as subs, team talks and so on.

What is this based on? What's fixed, the actual result? Incidents within the match? Being 'fixed' would suggest that things couldn't be altered, which you don't seem to believe. The match engine looks at the numerous variables and then (IIRC) works out the game. However, what's important is that it works it doesn't work it out in it's entirety.

Of course, your comparison to FIFA is right, you don't have the same amount of player control as physically pressing the pad. But, that isn't part of this game.

See answers above.

Its a bug though which shouldn't be happening, it happened 4 times over the course of a few matches.

My keeper had no chance of getting back to his goal in time to make a save.

Archived