Is there a problem with Strikers getting clear chances in 14.1.3?

EDIT - I MEAN 14.1.4

I play attacking passing football, dominate possession etc but never see my striker put through with a clear chance.

I do ok in the leagues but only really win 1-0 - with my goal usually coming from a corner or a long shot. If I go 1-0 down you can pretty much guarantee I wont win.

I have good quick strikers with anticipation, and use midfielders with good creativity, trying killer balls often but my striker is never put through with a one on one chance.

Anyone else finding this?

Have SI ever confirmed that a striker's ability to convert clear cut chances is linked to the mentality of the team? There's always the suggestion to use a tactic which has a less rushed mentality, for example, using control or counter instead of attack, but I wouldn't have thought that the mentality of the team would have any impact at all when a striker is clean through on goal. Sure, it'll influence the build up to the chance and the type of chance created, but one on one with the keeper it should only come down to player-specific variables like attributes and morale. And this is where it gets annoying/confusing for so many people, because strikers with high morale and great finishing stats aren't finishing their chances accordingly, at least not compared to players with much worse stats, who are knocking goals past top level keepers.

I have to say after the update my strikers were banging in goals from CCCs. They did dry up a bit in the last few games of the season but I had a player score 65 goals in a season for the first time since FM12. My tactic is very much a 'you score 5 and I'll score 6' tactic which relies on creating lots of CCCs though (I tend to average about 4-6 per game) and I do have one outrageously good striker and a couple of decent other players.

For reference the tactic is not particularly successful -- it gives up almost as many CCCs as it creates -- but I like to pretend that I'm Kevin Keegan at a mid-90's Newcastle team :)

I've got absolutely no problem with creating clear chances, but I am surprised if they go in.

Most of my one on ones either end up being hit at the 'keeper, or an unnecessary extra touch bringing a miraculous sliding defensive challenge/block.

This is exactly what I'm getting too. My tactic is creating a really good amount of opportunities for my players where they're clean through with no one near them and they're missing practically everything. And then up the other end, the opposition seem to need just a couple of half chances to put the ball in the net. It's so frustrating, because in real life, you'd kill for just ONE chance where your world class finisher is one on one with the keeper - in FM you get loads and they hardly ever go in.

I have yet to score a single one on one in 120 games, this is not a joke. I have the 2nd highest rated striker in the world currently and he is more or less useless at scoring. I know, it's the tactics? At any rate, it is not close to realistic no matter what your tactics are to not score on one on ones at all, ever. There is nothing in my tactics that could possibly cover why one of the best strikers cannot score in a one on one in 120 games, averaging at least one per game.

EDIT - I will also mention this is my 5th save and the same issues happened in all of them, so it is not just down to this one player either, I had a different striker in every save.

I create a tonne but find 1v1s really difficult. Strikers don't seem to put it around the keeper but instead drive it straight at him. The issue with keepers catching nearly every strike is more annoying than the 1v1 issue in my opinion though.

The strikers (one of them undoubtedly world-class) I use in my 4-2-3-1 rarely convert 1 on 1s (I'd say probably around 1 in 6). They more often than not score from a misplaced pass from the defence which is intercepted by one of my players into the path of the striker, who will then duly slot it past the keeper. Not 1 on 1s though. :(

Archived