••• FM 2011 Commentary Pack V7 •••

Seafire

••• FM 2011 Commentary Pack V7 •••

New lines added/changed for this release: 228 approx

ABOUT THE PACK:

This pack replaces the original ‘events’ file in FM 2011 with changed commentary lines that display at the foot of the screen on match days.

What language(s) is it written in?

The pack contains English commentary only and it will not work if any other languages are selected for your game play. This accounts for the file size being less than the original.

Will this work with earlier versions of Football Manager?

The short answer is probably not. The longer answer is that if you are using FM 2009 for example, the game can’t read the extra lines included in FM 2011. This might cause your game to crash as a consequence. If anyone would like the commentary pack adapting for earlier versions, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Can I suggest some lines for inclusion?

Yes of course you can, and please feel free to do so. We would ask that any submissions be kept clean and non-racist or offensive in any way. Please bear in mind though that, owing to the structure of the events config itself, it may not be possible to include some suggestions. As an example, asking for lines that relate to the start of the second half are not possible as there are no original lines for this in the game. Generally speaking, we can only change lines, not add them if they don’t already exist.

Do I have to start a new game to use this?

No you don’t. Once you have it installed, all you have to do is load up Football Manager and the new lines will show up.

Do I have to install any previous updates first then this one?

No you don’t. Each update includes all the previous ones so you only ever need to install the current version available.

What's this about the 'Alternate commentary pack' then?

Several users of the pack thought that the Half/Full Time comments were too long and they just 'wanted to get on with it'. The alternate commentary has the Half/Full Time comments shortened to one sentence. Otherwise, the two packs are the same.

You can download the current commentary pack from here:

Gamefront

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20734351/Events+version+7.rar

Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?a5g36bziyggq7m2

Sendspace

http://www.sendspace.com/file/osn3g5

You can download the Alternate commentary pack from here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20734345/Alternate+events+V7.rar

An installation guide is included with the download.

Please note that from this release onwards, all future versions of the Commentary Pack will appear on this thread only.

So, for the Alternate commentary pack, I go to save it here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\updates\update-1130\events

It says "There will be no original events file in this folder so just put your downloaded events file in here.", there is already one there, what should I do?

right..how am i the only one who this is not working for?? lol im obviously doing something wrong??

path >> my documents/sports interactive/ football manager 2011/data/updates/update-1130/events <<< ive managed to download lots of other things an put them in the game ok?? but this i cant?? doin my box in...really need some help please? :)

Hey Calcal, the path you are using is in-correct buddy, I think the correct place to add event files is, C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1130\events or if you are using Steam to run your game use the link in post 3 above and just overwrite the old version of the file already in the folder, make sure you make a backup copy of your old file just in case of any problems.

somehow i still cant get this to work? well feel like im missing out?? :( put it in the right path..the only thing i couldnt find was the original events folder it was to over right? is that where im going wrong???

I'm fully patched (up to 1130), using Steam, and here's the path where my events file is:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2011/data/updates/update-1130/events

It's working with no problems at all.

If you're just patched up to 1120, then the path you need is:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2011/data/updates/update-1120/events

And if you're just patched up to 1110, the path you need is:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2011/data/updates/update-1110/events

Remember that the events file needs to be unpacked before it goes into the events folder. I really hope that this helps you mate.

Okay, this doesn't really belong here but I didn't want to start a new thread (yet) for something that's only an experiment at this stage.

I've been spreading my wings over the last 30-odd hours by experimenting with the media files in the game and tweaking some of them just to get a feel of how they work and interact. There's quite a number of these files and I've had a quick look at them all and became intrigued!

Now, before I say anything else, I'm still at the shallow end of a steep learning curve and nothing is promised but, I've worked my way through a few of the lines and uploaded what I have so far. I've only altered one or two of the 'Manager to Manager' comments and about half of the 'Manager to Player' comments.

By 'altering' I mean just re-phrasing the text here and there to get a hands-on idea of what I'm doing. If I can get to grips with this, I intend to carry on with it section by section and make it a regular download option. The commentary work won't be affected as this is my first love and will always have priority.

Anyway, if you'd like to have a look at the little I've done so far you can get it here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20778513/media.rar

Just bear in mind that it's a tentative effort so don't expect miracles.

Where should the file go?

Well, after you've extracted it, pop it into My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011. This location is the same place where you have your graphics, skins, games etc folders (on XP anyway).

You've no need to start a new game or anything. Let's know what you think will you?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you could take a look at this set of commentary lines:

# HALF TIME: Team played dismally

= 796, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, SOUND_BAD_DISAPPOINTMENT, SOUND_WHISTLE_FOR_HALF_TIME

It's happened to me quite often that these remarks have been directed at the wrong team, i.e. at the team who is better and has a lead at half-time. Just now I've got this variant:

INGAME ENGLISH: ••• Half Time •••|<t> don't deserve anything from this game|They've not been at their best and they know it|Their supportive fans deserve better than this

in a game where the stats are as follows:

HT score 1-0 in favour of my team (playing as underdogs in this game)

Shots 7(3) - 6 (0) in our favour

Possession 54% - 46% in our favour

Average rating 6.85 - 6.44 in our favour

I'd noticed this anomaly myself some time ago but have to admit that it totally slipped my mind so thanks for bringing it back to my attention mate.

The original SI lines refer to the half being 'dismal' because of the gameplay as a whole and is not team specific as we have made it sound! I'll give it my attention right away - before I forget again - and rephrase the offending lines.

Thanks again mate, I really do appreciate anyone pointing out stuff like this.

Least I can do to help you with your brilliant add-on.

Another one of the same sort:

# HALF TIME: Team were better, winning

= 777, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, SOUND_VERY_LIGHT_CELEBRATIONS, SOUND_WHISTLE_FOR_HALF_TIME

INGAME ENGLISH: ••• Half Time •••|<t> may have created fewer chances but they've taken them brilliantly|Their overall play is reflected by the scoreboard and they deserve to be ahead

The problem here is that my team is leading 1-0 at half-time, and the shot stats are 13(2) to 1(0) in our favour.

I did a 'cheat match' (used FMRTE) last Thursday night and I was about 12-0 up at half time and I got this very same line pop up!

The 'created fewer chances' bit really slapped me in the eye so I re-did most of the lines in that group right away! I used FMRTE to 'force' a high score so I could see how the commentary lines might react but I wasn't expecting to see that pop up I can tell you!

Thanks again mate for your input, It's a real help to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived