A manual to Team Talk...

Since team talks play such a huge role in the game( try replaying a series of games changing your team talk and you will see) it would be great if SI or any1 here on the forum could tell us more about it. Its very hard to be always getting the right things said, and with one mistake you can say goodbye to a series of games(even if you are the favorite). I mean when ppl complain about the shot/ratio problem and losing to lower teams they should know that 50% of your team performance come from tactics and the other 50% come from team talks and morale. So if you are using a tactic for a long time without problem and your team starts a bad time it should be because of something you said. I know there are a thread on the tactics forum saying its a FAQ for that, but since team talk is very complex(takes in account the mentality of your team and of your player AND the status of the game) that thread isnt enough.

If anyone could make a serious manual about that would be appreciate and maybe that bunch of players that are quitting the game because they cant win from nothing will start to understand the game deepness

Since team talks play such a huge role in the game( try replaying a series of games changing your team talk and you will see) it would be great if SI or any1 here on the forum could tell us more about it. Its very hard to be always getting the right things said, and with one mistake you can say goodbye to a series of games(even if you are the favorite). I mean when ppl complain about the shot/ratio problem and losing to lower teams they should know that 50% of your team performance come from tactics and the other 50% come from team talks and morale. So if you are using a tactic for a long time without problem and your team starts a bad time it should be because of something you said. I know there are a thread on the tactics forum saying its a FAQ for that, but since team talk is very complex(takes in account the mentality of your team and of your player AND the status of the game) that thread isnt enough.

If anyone could make a serious manual about that would be appreciate and maybe that bunch of players that are quitting the game because they cant win from nothing will start to understand the game deepness

I'd say it was a hard thing to try and explain, or put into a "manual".

You've got about seven or eight team talks.

Each player has a morale which could be one of seven things.

Then the players have different personalities, which give different reactions to your team talk. And even then, it depends what their current morale might be.

Too many possibilities I'd say.

In Marc Vaughan his manual for FM2007 (it works for FM2008 as well), you'll retrieve the following about team talk:

Team talks

Half-time team talks are essential to undertake If you haven’t already set a precedent that you’re more of a tactician and leave the motivation to the assistant manager (ie. Set the option in ‘manager preferences’ to ‘Assistant Manager handles team-talks).

If you fail to do a team-talk without this option set then the players will presume you’re extremely upset with their performance as you’ve failed to even enter the dressing room, in extreme circumstances (ie. You’re 5-0 down in a local derby) this might motivate them to try harder, however in most circumstances it will just ensure they aren’t particularly happy with you.

The overall team mood you set for a team-talk should reflect how you believe a teams performance is going and acts as a guide for how you approach the teamtalk. When setting up a team-talk I tend to think in my head about how I’d approach such a situation in real-life.

For instance if my team is losing 1-0 at half time but have been playing well generally then I’d want to do a team talk which tells the team they’re performing well and to ‘keep at it’, I’d then pick out a player or two who have been doing exceptionally well during the match and set their performances as ones to be aspired to by their team-mates.

In game terms this is the equivalent of setting the team mood to ‘sympathetic’ and then setting the individual team talks for certain players to a positive level, i.e. ‘pleased’ or ‘delighted’.

If you follow this approach of considering how you’d do the talk in real-life you’ll probably find your talks go reasonably well and even inspire the occasional turn-around in a match (which can be incredibly satisfying).

If a team talk has had a large effect (either positive or negative) upon a player then you will sometimes be able to pick up on this by spotting certain commentary during a match (ie. Player ‘x’ appears to be fired up etc.). This is a useful guide for ascertaining how successful a team-talk has been on certain members of the squad.

It is important to note that there is no such thing as a ‘perfect’ team-talk and it is generally unavoidable that a talk which is very positive on some players might be lost on other members of the side.

If you set too many individual team-talks then this will dilute the overall team talk message to the squad.

If you set enough that one of the other options than the team mood is prevalent then this mood will replace the team mood setting (ie. If you set the team mood to ‘must try harder’ but set 7 players individual settings to ‘pleased’ then the effective overall team talk message to the squad is ‘pleased’.

A simple and safe way to use team-talks while getting to know your players. If you’re worried about using team-talks and their potential effects then I’ve indicated a relatively simple system below for giving out ‘sane’ talks to your team which should work reasonably well with most players, While it won’t help motivate people in an optimal manner it should help while you’re settling into the new game.

Match Situation Player Rating Morale Suggested Talk

Doing Well Below 7 Above okay Encourage

Doing Well Below 7 Okay or below Encourage

Doing Well 7 Above okay Pleased

Doing Well 7 Okay or below Delighted

Doing Well Above 7 Above okay Pleased

Doing Well Above 7 Okay or below Delighted

Doing Okay Below 7 Above okay Encourage

Doing Okay Below 7 Okay or below Encourage

Doing Okay 7 Above okay Pleased

Doing Okay 7 Okay or below Pleased

Doing Okay Above 7 Above okay Pleased

Doing Okay Above 7 Okay or below Delighted

Doing Poorly Below 7 Above okay Encourage

Doing Poorly Below 7 Okay or below Encourage

Doing Poorly 7 Above okay Encourage

Doing Poorly 7 Okay or below Pleased

Doing Poorly Above 7 Above okay Pleased

Doing Poorly Above 7 Okay or below Pleased

When using this table please ensure that you only set personal talks for around 3-4 players maximum, any more than that and you run the risk of spending too much time with individual players and diluting the effect of the overall team-talk.

A similar system can be employed for post-match team talks and each while not spectacular in effect will ensure a relative sanity to your team talks.

Cheers!

Bad formatting, sorry...

Match Situation..........Player Rating.........Morale...............Suggested Talk

Doing Well...............Below 7...............Above okay...........Encourage

Doing Well...............Below 7...............Okay or below........Encourage

Doing Well...............7.....................Above okay...........Pleased

Doing Well...............7.....................Okay or below........Delighted

Doing Well...............Above 7...............Above okay...........Pleased

Doing Well...............Above 7...............Okay or below........Delighted

Doing Okay...............Below 7...............Above okay...........Encourage

Doing Okay...............Below 7...............Okay or below........Encourage

Doing Okay...............7.....................Above okay...........Pleased

Doing Okay...............7.....................Okay or below........Pleased

Doing Okay...............Above 7...............Above okay...........Pleased

Doing Okay...............Above 7...............Okay or below........Delighted

Doing Poorly.............Below 7...............Above okay...........Encourage

Doing Poorly.............Below 7...............Okay or below........Encourage

Doing Poorly.............7.....................Above okay...........Encourage

Doing Poorly.............7.....................Okay or below........Pleased

Doing Poorly.............Above 7...............Above okay...........Pleased

Doing Poorly.............Above 7...............Okay or below........Pleased

it's all about trial and error imo. i went for a more negative approach in an 07 game, ie less encouragmaent, more whippings, and it worked most of the time. remember, team talks effect your attributes too, but once palyers see some sort of consistancy, they'll trust your judgement more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

it's all about trial and error imo. i went for a more negative approach in an 07 game, ie less encouragmaent, more whippings, and it worked most of the time. remember, team talks effect your attributes too, but once palyers see some sort of consistancy, they'll trust your judgement more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or use the table I provided... icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

it's all about trial and error imo. i went for a more negative approach in an 07 game, ie less encouragmaent, more whippings, and it worked most of the time. remember, team talks effect your attributes too, but once palyers see some sort of consistancy, they'll trust your judgement more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or use the table I provided... icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i started typing before you posted icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:

Or use the table I provided... icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i started typing before you posted icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Men in Black arrive, just say that they may return to the Office. icon_wink.gif

seems like a good start, great job patrick.bateman !

I raelly wanted to see a in-depth guide, telling me about players and team personality and such, but that table helps a lot.

Also regarding about morale and pressure, when one of my strikers(top scorer) stops scoring for like 3 games, should I rest him? I tryed the "No Pressure" but havent worked and the supporters asked me to put him on bench after 15 hours without scoring icon_razz.gif

any suggestions? I have this problem a few times during the season...

Obs: my striker is 22 year old

Handling the press

One of the hardest aspects of FM for newcomers to the game is how to approach handling the media and when to use it to your advantage.

We will break this aspect of the game down into individual components and hopefully clarify some of the reasoning behind how this operates.

Manager Mind Games

Generally, when making personal style comments, your professional players will want you to act in a professional manner, whilst your not so professional players (when making degrading/disrespectful comments) will be thankful that they have got a manager who thinks on the same wavelength and is therefore more willing to work harder for him. So it's a matter of judging the make-up, personality wise of your squad, to achieve the best possible response from your squad.

Player reaction in fact reveals elements of their hidden stats and personality. For example, following a test case where Alex Ferguson condemned Southampton as relegation candidates, while Beattie and Phillips were determined to prove Ferguson's claims that the team were relegation fodder incorrect, Fernandes was unsure and felt that Ferguson might be right. To explain further, Beattie and Phillips have shown a reaction typical to player's who have strong character traits such as a high determination level, being able to handle pressure well and having a good ambition level. If when dealing with the media you react in this manner you will generally get the best out of these type of players (results permitting of course). However, Fernandes has shown a level of insecurity which makes him prone to doubt himself, the manager and the club as a whole. It can be a tricky situation and the best way to deal with players of this nature is not to pile too much pressure on him, always play down your chances, don't provoke other managers or players and generally try to stay out of the limelight. Players such as Fernandes will flourish in a less pressurised atmosphere.

In terms of how a player who has been affected by a mind-game will play on the pitch, it is much harder to predict. There are so many factors involved in determining whether a player will perform on the day of match; including morale, happiness level, tactics, opponent on pitch, opponents tactics as well as off-the-pitch topics such as transfer or contract activity regarding the player. These are just some of the factor's involved. What we can definitely say is that if a player reacts positively to a manager comment it will definitely have some positive impact on that player in terms of his match performance, although how much is down to the other factors as stated above. This is also the case in terms of a negative reaction.

As with much of the media both in real life and in FM 2007 it can be a fine balancing act between pleasing one group of players but maybe upsetting others or vice versa. This makes analysing your squad's personality traits essential to the success of the team.

Release Media Story

At present there are a couple of restrictions upon this feature, the first being that this option will not appear on the player profile unless he has played at least four games. You will also be restricted to praising or criticizing one player a week. These restrictions are in place simply to prevent managers from over-using this option on inappropriate players.

As in real-life, players love to be praised by their manager and aren’t fond of criticism. However remember some players while disliking criticism will be inspired by it and attempt to prove their manager wrong, also some players will become complacent if praised and so may perform worse than otherwise.

It is (as always) your job as manager to decide how to go about motivating each individual in your squad. As a guideline we would recommend avoiding criticising youngsters or people who are known to be highly strung.

Responding to transfer speculation

If one of your players has been linked with another club you will be asked for a comment by the press. The options you are presented with vary from issuing a hands off warning to declaring that you might have to sell the player to ease the club’s financial plight.

How you respond normally depends on whether you actually want to sell the player in question. However sometimes you might want to spread seeds of doubt about your willingness to sell a player (if for example the player in question is popular with the fans) until you actually do so, as admitting to even considering such an act can turn fans against a manager unless results are going the right way.

Luiz, it sounds like you're looking for the "Communication and Psychological Warfare" article from fm-britain.

(Note: Links offsite)

www.fm-britain.co.uk: Communication and Psychological Warfare

Its a 10-article series that covers everything your asking about. I'm not affiliated with the site, but I found it very useful. Hope it helps settle some of these questions for you.

I find the teamtalk feature a bit silly and time consuming but it's part the game and we must live with it.

Personally I take the Juande Ramos approach and bring in an assistant manager with very high Motivation stats and leave it to him.

Occasionally I will override his opinion and give poorly performing players a good ass whipping and so far I've had nothing but success with all the teams I've managed.

I tend to avoid team talks when possible.

I know what should work from a psychology point of view, but the principles don't often hold in FM, hence i try and sign an ass man with Motivating 20 and Man management 20 and let him do it icon_biggrin.gif

They aren't much good for anything else lol

Great Succes! Hi Five!

yeah, it worked wonders for me. Now Im understanding the game depth and im really enjoying it. It solves the shots/goal ratio problem and the performance drop problem. I think that SI should clarify it more in the manual or something so we dont have to do a research around the net to understand their game.

But now the game is very enjoyable, those links are great, I really think that SI should put those links as a top one: "If you are having problems playing" or "Someone explained our game to you, now you can enjoy it". just kidding

But it would be of great help to have those on a place that everyone that comes here looking for help could see.

Gonna play!!

cya

Great! Glad it helped, mate!

I'm intrigued by your comment

"It solves the shots/goal ratio problem" ...

... that hadn't occurred to me as a potential outcome! I'd been assuming that people who were experiencing the shots/goal ratio problem were running some fundamentally different tactic from what I run, and that's why I wasn't seeing it.

That's given me something to think about, so thank you.

I had this problem, my tactic worked fine for half a season and then all of a sudden it started. I just couldnt win. In the extended match I could see that they were rushing to score(even in a slow tempo with defensive mentality) or losing one-on-ones. Got really ****ed off loaded my last save(before it started) and tryied to change some TT and resting my striker. Worked wonders... I think its all about confidence

I agree with you; I've been saying the shots/goals ratio thing is all about confidence all along - but somehow it hadn't occurred to me that the team talks played into it! icon_biggrin.gif I feel like I put blinders on and assumed it was all about tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

Great! Glad it helped, mate!

I'm intrigued by your comment

"It solves the shots/goal ratio problem" ...

... that hadn't occurred to me as a potential outcome! I'd been assuming that people who were experiencing the shots/goal ratio problem were running some fundamentally different tactic from what I run, and that's why I wasn't seeing it.

That's given me something to think about, so thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found the same. I banged my head against the wall for months with FM07, trying different tactics and getting nowhere (and coming up against an endless string of super keepers).

Then I worked on team talks and media and found that just about any sensible tactic will yield results if you understand the team talks/media side of the game.

It's crazy how many people blame someone's tactics when they complain about a massive shots:goals ratio. What utter b/s. I'd say that in almost every case it's a man management issue.

I have massive success now and I don't even set individual player instructions.

One last point - I've found that your reputation compared to that of the players seems to be very important when determining how well they respond to your talks.

i think this post should be properly edited to show the important info and put on top of the forum(or in the main site). It looks like that your performance is like 50% motivation and 50% the rest(tactics, players and such) And I think its not well explained in the manual. So they should provide this kind of info at least on the top of the forum. Most ppl that are thinking of quiting the game will find it enjoyable again.(I was going to quit it icon_smile.gif )

Oh! and I found out that a assman with high Motivation and Man management can almost always get the things right on TT. Altought mine had high Discipline too he tended to push too hard on the boys and they complained.

Another thing to notice is your team personality. A Determined team will handle more pressure and you can be angry at them! They will eventually play better on the second half after an angry statement. Dont know the others personalities tough, but some guys on my squad are Ambitious and they usually dont take criticism very well and should be rested if flattered by another team interest

Archived