Free kick & Corner routines.

For those who may be interested here are my routines. They are not meant to be 'super' routines but they seem to be decent working options. They are not all my own work. Bits have been gathered from previous FM editions and some are my additions. All are for a 4-4-2 formation.

Attacking Corners. R&LB Stay back. CD1 best header, attack far post. CD2 attack near post. CMd lurk area. CMa attack from deep. AML&R forward. RF challenge GK. LF stand on far post.

Defending Corners. R&LB man mark. CDs mark tall players. MCd take far post. MCa take near post. AMR&L stay forward. RF man mark or go back [your choice]. LF stay forward. I have the two CMs on the posts to avoid having the FBs crossing to get back into their respective positions on clearing the corner. You should see that the two CMs run more or less in a straight line back to their positions.

Attacking Free Kicks. R&LBs stay back or stay back if needed [your choice]. CD1 forward. Cd2 stronger and best header, Challenge GK. MCd stand with kicker. MCa disrupt wall. AMR&L forward. L&RF forward.

Defending Free KIcks. R&LBs man mark. CDs man mark. MCd far post. MCa near post. AMR&L forward. RF man mark or go back [your choice]. LF stay forward.

As previously stated these routines are a mismatch of one that I have come across in the last two years or so. In the attacking corner routine I have also used far post and penalty area and near post and six yard area for the aiming of the kicks. Just alter your players positions accordingly. The far post for the aiming of corner kicks, I got from heath xxx and I am indebted to him for this idea, taken from his post on the subject. I hope, that at the very least, these routines will be beneficial to some of you. Indeed, by using the defensive corner routine this season, I have conceded only one goal in my last eight games since using it. I have also adopted the leaving ot three players, your AMR&L and your fastest striker forward. What you should see is that your opponents will keep three players back to mark them. You should also see that your opponent will have only four men in your penalty area. I have the'TC' on clear to flanks to try to get an attack going quickly. Good luck to all.

One hundred and eighty two views but not one response. I'm dissapointed. I was thinking that, at least, I would have some people divulging their routines and success or lack of. I was hoping that more routines would be posted and from them a method of improving everyones routines, thereby causing a little bit of discussion. Ah! well, it's not often that I am right but I am wrong again.

One hundred and eighty two views but not one response. I'm dissapointed. I was thinking that, at least, I would have some people divulging their routines and success or lack of. I was hoping that more routines would be posted and from them a method of improving everyones routines, thereby causing a little bit of discussion. Ah! well, it's not often that I am right but I am wrong again.

I think a lot of people are just happy with the 25 goals a season they are already getting from corners so aren't really moved to discuss it. This thread will probably become relevant again once they release a new patch and reduce the effectiveness of the far post corner routine people came up with months ago.

I didn't even see your thread until it was bumped by Riziger's comment. I found defensive corners the toughest to set up, especially against teams with very good players.

The last setup I tried before yours was: R&LB: Near/Far, CBs: Tall, MR/L: Back, MCd: back, Mca: Edge of area, STL/R: Fwd.

Since I started using your defensive corner routine I concede much less on corners. I've noticed that the positioning and movement of the players on the pitch right after the corner kick is much better - the opposing team mostly can't build up as much pressure(as with previous routines I had set up) and instead has to work hard to avoid counters. I can also confirm that the AI has only 4 players in your pen area (4 are back,3 for the marking plus one as backup).

I think this routine also fits the players' abilities. Most Fullbacks are better at marking, so they are wasted at the corner posts anyway. Most Wingers are poor at marking and jumping, so they better stay up front. One striker is mostly good at jumping/heading, so he stays back.

I'll try the other routines, too - one after another, so I can see the changes.

Thanks for sharing!

I am hoping to share what I'm using at the moment too, but my satellite internet connection is extremely poor at the moment, thus I can't upload any images. Have all the images and what I want to add prepared though, so will share once I'm able to. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna give these a go. Really hoping the defensive corners work, we've conceded lots from these.

I also have a few questions, although I might have missed something:

1) Where should we aim the corners?

2) Where should we aim the free kicks?

3) There's no-one set to "form wall" what happens with that?

Well I'll be the miserable git in this thread. We've had corner exploits that brought insane amounts of goals and I hated that. In 11.3 there still seems to be a problem with attacking corners; I've deliberately left all settings on default and I get too many goals from the DCs even now. any fidgeting with settings is likely to make the number of goals scored even more unrealistic.

So if you just want goals, goals, goals, go ahead. However, if you want the satisfaction of feeling that you won a game due to your tactics and not a weakness in the ME, I'd avoid these posts if I were you (well, the attacking corner settings; I've only got one goal from a free kick).

After some matches i must say that for defending corner this routine is great, i normally employ a tall striker and i used to have him man mark(even though they aren't that great at marking) but with your instructions having a striker staying back(just with go back) he seems to clear a lot of balls from corners and i have conceded a lot less.

Thank you.

Archived