FM11: Official AFC Ajax thread: Let's get that third star!

waldywaldy

Welcome to the official FM11 AFC Ajax thread

20090927134258nlajax.jpg

Club Information

Full Name: AFC Ajax

Founded: 18th March 1900

Stadium: Amsterdam ArenA: 51628 all seated with retractable roof and under soil heating.

Chairman Status: Loves the Club

Fierce Rivals: Feyenoord

Other rivals: PSV (the game also includes minor rivaleries with FC Utrecht, Ado Den Haag, AZ Alkmaar and FC Groningen)

Legends: Johan Cruijff, Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp

Icons: Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart

Favoured Personnel: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Youth Facilities: Excelent youth facilities + Youth Acadamy

Youth Recruitement: Extensive youth recruitement

Training Facilities: Top training facilities

Corporate Facilities: Top Corporate Facilities

Continental Competition: European Champions Cup

Media prediction: 1st

amsterdamarena.jpg

Amsterdam Arena

Club Finances

Financial Status: Okay

Balance: €16,900,000/£14,700,318

Loans Outstanding: Bank Loan of €49M/£42.5M (€728k/£633k per month until 30-6-2012).

Wages: The club is currently spending €1,629,711/£1,417,140 per month on wages.

Sponsors: 3 year main kit sponsorship at €2.81M/£2,44M per season. Ends 2012.

Start of season expectations

Title Challenge: Transfer Budget €5M/£4.3M and Wage Budget €1.6M/£1.4M

Winner: Transfer Budget €5,75M/£5M and Wage Budget €1.7M/£1.5M

A little bit of history

Named after the great Greek mythological hero AFC Ajax was founded in Amsterdam in 1900 and is arguably the biggest club of Holland and one of the great names in the history of football. And that’s not only because of the many trophies the club has won throughout the years (the club is one of the five teams that has earned the right to keep the European Cup and to wear a multiple-winner badge; they won consecutively in 1971–1973. In 1972, they completed the European treble by winning the Dutch Eredivisie, KNVB Cup, and the European Cup; to date, they are the only team to keep the European Cup and accomplish the European treble).

After their great run of successes in the seventies playing total football under Rinus Michels, Ajax made their international comeback in the nineties (still picking up national championships and cups left and right along the way). Under the inspiring leadership off Louis van Gaal th club managed to win the UEFA Cup in ‘’93 and played back to back Champions League final in ‘95 and ’96 winnig the first one.

Ajax is also well known for playing innovative, attractive, attacking football and for having one of the world’s most highly regarded youth systems. Among players that made it through the system are Word class players like Johan Cruijff, Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp, and in more recent years players like Wesley Sneijder, Nigel de Jong and Rafael van der Vaart. As a matter of fact; I argue that with a team of still active footballers that played for Ajax in recent years you could form (on paper) a potentially champions League winning side. (Might be a fun game to play at home?)

Recent Years haven’t been really kind on the Ajax fans with PSV dominating the Eredivisie AZ and FC Twente winning it on the last two occasions. Missing out on the Champions League as well after numerous attempts has the supporters screaming for silverware. After finishing second with a record amount of points this year has to be it! Can you bring back the glory days to Amsterdam?

Achievements

National

Eredivisie: 29

1917-18, 1918-19, 1930-31, 1931-32, 1933-34, 1936-37, 1938-39, 1946-47, 1956-57, 1959-60, 1965-66, 1966-67, 1967-68, 1969-70, 1971-72, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1984-85, 1989-90, 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, 1997-98, 2001-02, 2003-04

Dutch Cup: 18

1916-17, 1942-43, 1960-61, 1966-67, 1969-70, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1978-79, 1982-83, 1985-86, 1986-87, 1992-93, 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2009-10

Dutch Super Cup (Johan Cruijff Shield): 7

1993, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007

International

European Champion’s Club Cup/ Champions League: 4

1971, 1972, 1973, 1995

European Cup Winners Cup: 1

UEFA Cup:1

European Super Cup: 3

1972, 1973, 1995

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad Review

26bfe340ed65481db86fe29.jpg

Goalkeepers

Maarten Stekelenburg

No question about it: this is your number one! Undisputed keeper of the national team and most experienced player in your squad.

stekelenburg.jpg

Kenneth Vermeer

Good backup keeper, but the question is if you can keep him around on a back-up player squad status. Also, if you don’t like tiny keepers: get rid of the dwarf.

Jeroen Verhoeven

The joke of the team. This 99 kilo heavy attempt at a goalkeeper is certainly not fit for this level of competition.

Goalkeeper summary

You should be okay in this area, but keep the thought of getting a backup keeper in the back of your head.

Centre Backs

Jan Verthongen

By far the best centre back you’ve got. I suggest renegotiating a new contract immediately since he appears to be very wanted (especially by Man U).

vertonghen.jpg

Toby Alderweireld

Good young ball-playing centre back. Lacks a bit in defensive skills but has a killer pass and according to your assistant quite some room for improvent.

Oleguer

Could serve as back-up but due to lack of anticipation and quickness I suggest placing him on the transfer list.

Andre Ooijer

Experienced defender. Bit over the hill and not quite good enough for the first team anymore. Since you just got him this season and he is on a one year contract, I’d keep him around (maybe for tutoring?) and let him leave on a free transfer at the end of the season

Centre Back Summary

Vertonghen is clearly up for the challenge, Alderweireld maybe just not there yet. I’d look for a strong destroyer type defender next to Vertonghen. (on My game I got Frederico Fazio from Sevilla for just €500k)

Full Backs

Gregory van der Wiel

Your first choice for the right back position. This guy is one of the most promising full backs in the world today. Dutch international with good all-round stats.

vandewiel.jpg

Daley Blind

Son of your Assistant Manager this guy is a natural central midfielder but could with the right training become a very usable back-up for the spot on the right side of your defense.

Vernon Anita

Also a natural midfielder who’s recently been playing on left back irl. Decent full back.

Timothee Atouba

Although he has some strong points in the game irl he’s one of the worst signings in recent years. Personally I can’t stand the guy so I would put him on the transfer list especially since Emanuelson will do just fine in FM.

Urby Emanuelson

Great all-round footballer. Natural left winger but will absolutely do as left back in FM. I’d say first choice for LB.

Full Back Summary

Overall you’ve got to good first choice full backs in van der Wiel and Emanuelson. Anita and Blind will do as back-up for now.

Midfielders

Demy de Zeeuw

Dutch international and all-round midfielder. Plays well in a holding role but could even be played behind the striker(s) if necessary. Should be one of the first names on your team-sheet.

dezeeuw.jpg

Rasmus Lindgren

Decent midfielder, will do as a substitute for de Zeeuw.

Teemu Tainio

Finnish midfielder came over from Sunderland.

Eyong Enoh

Good strong midfielder. Has a great tackle but lacks creativity. Works great as a ball-winning midfielder or anchor man. Does have a tendency to collect a lot of bookings.

Mitchell Donald

Hampered by injuries this 21-year old natural right midfielder has been in the first team for a couple of years. Can also play in a central role. Probably not good enough but I suggest making him available for loan and see in a year.

Marvin Zegelaar

Again not first team material but a decent left winger. Also a candidate for the ‘available for loan’ list.

Christian Eriksen

One of the most exiting prospects in the game today. This attacking midfielder has the potential to become a really good player. Suggestion: retrain him to a left winger on my save he’s killing as an inside forward.

eriksen.jpg

Nicolas Lodeiro

Talented AMC. Hasn’t been able to break into the first team yet and the recent development of Eriksen and de Jong won’t make it any easier.

Siem de Jong

Balanced all-round midfielder. Plays best as attacking midfielder . Good young player with potential. He’s my first choice AMC for now.

Midfielders Summary

You’re okay in the centre of the pitch but lack great wingers (Suarez and Sulejmani could play there as well), so depending on you’re tactics go look for some decent wingers.

Attackers

Luis Suarez

First name on the team sheet. This is your star player: scoring, dribbling, creating, he does it all. Will do well on the wings and great as a striker.

suarez.jpg

Miralem Sulejmani

Decent young winger/attacker. Came with a huge price tag and hasn’t lived up to the hype yet. Due to the lack of good wingers you might want to keep him around, but his £135k wage makes it very tempting to see who’s interested.

Mounir el Hamdaoui

Technically gifted striker. Apart from Suarez the best you’ve got and he has what it takes to perform both nationally and in Europe.

elhamdaoui.jpg

Suk

Decent Korean youngster. Not quite first tem material yet, but with potential according to your assistant manager

Mido

Journeyman Striker. Get's paid a mach to mach base irl but is on a 130k a month wage in the game. I suggest getting rid of him asap.

Ajax. Beautiful. This is the first proper save after I'm done with Spurs. Good OP mate :thup:

Teemu Tainio didn't come from Spurs though, he left us for Sunderland a couple of years ago.

Vertonghen has been signed by Man U or Chelsea in every save I've started ( a lot of saves) almost instantly, he's going to be tough to hang on to. I signed Emanuelson for Spurs and he was excellent. Suarez too, he was better than excellent.

Is it just me that thinks Steek is underrated? He's so quality. Suarez as well maybe a touch.

Stekelenburg maybe slightly underrated. especially his positioning is really low, i counted 50(!) keepers in the eredivisie alone with a higher positioning attribute. Already asked dutch researcher bout that, havn't heard back yet though. Suarez Looks little underrated but preformes really wel for me 7.4 average scoring assists the whole deal.

Ajax. Beautiful. This is the first proper save after I'm done with Spurs. Good OP mate :thup:

Teemu Tainio didn't come from Spurs though, he left us for Sunderland a couple of years ago.

Vertonghen has been signed by Man U or Chelsea in every save I've started ( a lot of saves) almost instantly, he's going to be tough to hang on to. I signed Emanuelson for Spurs and he was excellent. Suarez too, he was better than excellent.

Fixed Taino, silly mistake :)

Got him to stay offering a new contract first day on the job: 155k a month. set a 30M asking price and had a very nervous talk with the lad. After I told him I wanted the club to match his ambitions he told met he'd stay. Big sigh of relief :p

Started an Ajax game this morning. Playing a 4-2-3-1 with two defensive central midfielders, an am centre on support, two attacking inside forwards and a attacking target man. Signed Lukaku for £5million and he scored a hat-trick in Dutch super cup. I love going Ajax, the Dutch league gives you a good place for developing tactics and bringing through quality youngsters. Gunna try and get it to be a more recognised league (great new feature). The squad looks packed with good youngsters already to bring through. Can't wait for the challenge!

What is with Mido and his salary? He doesn't earn €34.500 p/w in real life now does he?

There he is :). I waited for 11.1 to see if they changed anything regarding his contract. Unfortunately he's still on a rediculous 130k a week :-s

Might give them a try this year. Just wondering if they're capable of attracting the best youngsters around the world? Or even good players to challenge for Champions League?

Thanks

Shouldn't be to much of a problem. Especially with the new Dinamyc League Reputation. Palethinboy managed to get Lukaku, good enough? :)

Stekelenburg maybe slightly underrated. especially his positioning is really low, i counted 50(!) keepers in the eredivisie alone with a higher positioning attribute. Already asked dutch researcher bout that, havn't heard back yet though. Suarez Looks little underrated but preformes really wel for me 7.4 average scoring assists the whole deal.

dutch reasearcher just confirmed Steek was a slip up. Positioning is upped to 15 and he dropped it a bit for some nobodys. Unfortunately it wont be fixed till the 2nd patch.

dutch reasearcher just confirmed Steek was a slip up. Positioning is upped to 15 and he dropped it a bit for some nobodys. Unfortunately it wont be fixed till the 2nd patch.

Guess I'll wait til 2nd patch til I come back round here!

Tbh more then just his positioning needs to be increased. My staff keeps saying I need to sell him cause his ability is not worth his wage.... And the 10 tackling for urby is a bit low as well tbh.

Keep in mind that keepers usually don't reach their peak till their early 30s so I think he's still got some room to grow, but i agree that the researchers havn't been very generous on his behalf. As with Urby, I agree his sliding tackles are of the chain, but when it comes to standing tackles i don't think he's a real hero. so that's a difficult one. I don't now how exactly the match engine interperts this en wich other attributes might be involved here... Maybe sombody else knows something about that?

Almost finished first season, knocked out of the CL poule with 10 points.. Man U had the same amount but I lost to them and had a draw.. But got Paulo Henrique for 11 mln, (over 48 months), and Eriksson is a total bomber, he was my league topscorer as a advanced playmaker, but get kicked out of the season by Ignashevitsj in the europa leaugue,... but I am already Champion and the futuru is looking bright with all those talented players!

Maybe you could quote him in the OP to let people know to increase Steek's positioning? Some people might read it and make the effort anyway, I know I will if I start an Ajax game.

Yeah he was great at the world cup LOL you 2 have no clue. Try watching him play at this club... or maybe even at the UEFA CUP?. His stats dont look worse then stekelenburgs and Steek is obviously a lot better Besides england had green at goal at the world cup.. that means hes great? LOL

Yeah he was great at the world cup LOL you 2 have no clue. Try watching him play at this club... or maybe even at the UEFA CUP?. His stats dont look worse then stekelenburgs and Steek is obviously a lot better Besides england had green at goal at the world cup.. that means hes great? LOL

What??

Mate, I have ESPN I watch the Eredivisie, I watch the UEFA cup. I know all about Romero and unlike you can obviously look at him with an open mind. Wtf has Rob Green got to do with Romero or the Ajax thread? Stekelenburg is indeed better than Romero no doubt and has been explained he has been underated and it will be fixed.

It's nice to see new FM out, although I most probably continue my FM 10 Ajax save until February/March and then start my big Ajax save with 3rd patch released.

Meanwhile, somebody could tell if there are any new talented youngsters coming from Ajax youth team.

It`s great to see the Ajax thread again. Being a big Ajax fan myself, I`ll start a game with this team.

I`ve read the opening posts on the team and I was wondering if anybody has already bought some new players to make this team even stronger.

The formation I`ll start with is the default 4-2-3-1 formation.

It`s great to see the Ajax thread again. Being a big Ajax fan myself, I`ll start a game with this team.

I`ve read the opening posts on the team and I was wondering if anybody has already bought some new players to make this team even stronger.

The formation I`ll start with is the default 4-2-3-1 formation.

I'm playing 4-2-3-1 as well! Got Frederico fazio on my first season for 500k and Kadlec for 3.7M both are doing great!

Nice. Have you also have new staff like coaches and scouts?

Yup, all new staff, coaches, physios and scouts. Only kept Blind, cause he's a pretty decent ass man; and Kwakman as a youth coach, he's great. O yeah and Murhen, v.d. Zee and Olsen as scouts.

I have just started an Ajax game... wish me luck!

I wanted to get the best out of Van der Wiel and Urby so have gone with a wing back formation:

tactic.png

I will need to being in some extra central defence cover, any suggestions? I have Bruma in on loan. My only other signing has been the youngster Torric from hearts of oak.

Oleguer, Donald, Lindgren and Verhoeven have all gone

All leagues? Doesn`t it take long to play the game then or not? Where can I download that retain players file?

You can download the retain players file at the link i posted in my last reply (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/107091-The-ultimate-retain-players-file). It loads a database up to over a 100,000 players so it wil make your game significantly slower. I've got a pretty decent pc and like to run my game as realistic as posible so i load up all nations apart from some asian ones (india, hon kong, singapore, idonesia (you get my drift), keep china though, good for commercial feeder clubs :)). I run most leagues at view-only, wich helps with the speed, apart from about 10-15 countries I see myself managing sometimes in my career. The retain players file makes sure all teams are completely filled even if the league they are in is on view-only (plus it makes sure of a good suply of new newgens at those clubs). I've got about 125,000 going I think and it runs smooth enough for me :)

I have just started an Ajax game... wish me luck!

I wanted to get the best out of Van der Wiel and Urby so have gone with a wing back formation:

tactic.png

I will need to being in some extra central defence cover, any suggestions? I have Bruma in on loan. My only other signing has been the youngster Torric from hearts of oak.

Oleguer, Donald, Lindgren and Verhoeven have all gone

thats the exact formation i use for my ajax save... tried 4-2-3-1 but didnt do well for the first 10 games 1 win 4 draws 5 losses and i was under pressure from the board but turned to that formation and not lost a game in 15 games and sitting 2nd at the moment 1 point behind 1st place

Really can't see how i can use Sulejmani. :(

He's on high wages, isn't worth much, isn't composed enough to start up front, needs training to play as an Inside Forward and PPMs learning, can't cross and isn't particulary creative :D

I only play 1 AMC, Lodeiro with Eriksen as his backup, so he's no use there!

Tempted to offer him out and see who'll bite.

Really can't see how i can use Sulejmani. :(

He's on high wages, isn't worth much, isn't composed enough to start up front, needs training to play as an Inside Forward and PPMs learning, can't cross and isn't particulary creative :D

I only play 1 AMC, Lodeiro with Eriksen as his backup, so he's no use there!

Tempted to offer him out and see who'll bite.

It seems like it's a good time to bring out my Ajax tactics once again. So far proved to be good in FM10, but I'll give it a test in FM11 soon.

4-5-1, single striker formation with 2 wingers (AMR Kennedy and AML Sulejmani). Sulejmani is used as winger/attack orders with 'normal' wide play. He has scored 11 goals in 29 league games so far (season 2012/2013 now) and although he's been a little inconsistent, he's one of the best left wingers in Eredivisie.

This is how I've always used him in my saves since he came to Ajax. He's quick enough and good off the ball to play important part in counter attacks.

Yes, there are some obstacles, low composure was mentioned, and PPMs are not ideal.

My tactic relies on single striker (Lukaku currently in my save) who's creative enough to take the ball down and find wingers with through passes. So wingers actually score most of the goals.

Archived