How to make a good player thread

TigerTime

How to make a good player thread

So you may be wondering, I want to make a thread about a player that I rate in the game, but I do not know how to do so. Well here is a simple guide on how to make one. Creativity is the key. This is just a rough guide and I encourage adding your own things to your own thread. Give it your own personal touch!

So every thread needs title. It needs to be obvious what the thread is about so the potential readers know what they’re in for. First thing I’d recommend is adding the FM your are recommending the player for (FM11, FM10, FM09 etc.). Now add the player’s name. This will give you a simple title. If you want to make it sound more interesting you can add a couple more words; maybe describing briefly how the player plays or something completely different. It’s completely up to you.

Now let’s start talking about the thread itself. Each player thread is going to look different. The necessities of the thread include posting a simple fact file about the player including important information like his age, club and position, and a screenshot of the player’s stats at the start of the game. The rest is up to you. Information about the player in real life is fine as long as it’s not too much. A paragraph should do the trick. Also if posting a players CA and PA (which can be found by using the data editor) please use spoilers.

So let’s go into more depth about the two key areas; the fact file and screenshot. The fact file should include the basic information which will give the reader the knowledge straight away if the player is or isn’t what they’re looking for. The fact file should include:

-Full Name

-DOB

-Nationality

-Club

-Position

-Transfer Value

Extra information like a players transfer status, secondary position and whether or not they need a work permit are also very helpful at times.

A screenshot should be provided of the players stats. This is essential as without a Mod will close your thread. Here’s how to take a screenshot:

For Windows

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

For MAC

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press Apple key, Shift, and 3 keys all together to take a screenshot of the whole screen.

4. Save the file as a JPEG

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Now the rest of the stuff that you put in the thread is up to you. Some information in general about the player and why you are recommending him in FM is always useful and is worth doing if you have the time. Also you can post a screenshot of the players stats in the future, if he’s a player who develops a lot over time anything else you deem useful. Try and make your player thread as interesting as possible, you don’t have to write masses to do this.

Is there any templates I can download so I can quickly make the thread?

Here is one I have made.

I don't understand something mentioned in the guide?

Feel free to ask a question in this thread. I'll reply as thoroughly as I can as soon as possible.

How do you make a good team guide?

Here is a link to the thread.

Thank you if you have managed to read the last 670 words. Remember this is just a rough guide and it’d be great if you could put your own ideas into your player thread. Good luck and enjoy FM. :thup:

As a template for player threads this is excellent and ideally it would be useful to have stickied on this forum. You've touched on it at the end, but the one thing I would say is that I wouldn't dicate to people in a point by point way how to lay a thread out. I don't think a uniformity to OP's would be welcome, there definitely should be breathing room for a wee bit of creativity I think.

Good post though :thup:

As a template for player threads this is excellent and ideally it would be useful to have stickied on this forum. You've touched on it at the end, but the one thing I would say is that I wouldn't dicate to people in a point by point way how to lay a thread out. I don't think a uniformity to OP's would be welcome, there definitely should be breathing room for a wee bit of creativity I think.

Good post though :thup:

Creativity is a must.

This is just a sort of template which people can follow.

Agree with both of your points. I have started to re-do the thread and I'm going to emphasize the need for creativity and your own personal touch. Will edit in the new one tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Good post, I have posted a couple of player threads of my own in the past by looking at others and mimicking it with a personal touch. If I have the chance I like to post a starting screenie and then one in the future, prerferably under my own management as that usually is better than the AI. Also, I find that the main aim of a good player thread is to have people post their own opinions too, so that future screenie tries to get the ball rolling, and is useful with "negative PA" players, as it gives an idea of the spectrum available.

And I imagine there will be a number of threads about players who haven't been tested, although that isn't always a bad thing as it can be nice to hear about new youth etc as soon as possible :)

hi, i have taken uppon me te noble task of creating the official fm11 ajax amsterdam thread. I have a quetion for you that might sound stupid, but whenever i open a new thread i don't seem to have the option to edit my text. For example i can't seem to find options to put words in bold or italic or centre a piece of text. Any advice please?

hi, i have taken uppon me te noble task of creating the official fm11 ajax amsterdam thread. I have a quetion for you that might sound stupid, but whenever i open a new thread i don't seem to have the option to edit my text. For example i can't seem to find options to put words in bold or italic or centre a piece of text. Any advice please?

That's a little weird. Check you general settings on the forum. They can be found by going to settings and clicking general settings on the right hand bar.

Archived