Ways to increase match speed??

Guest grahamcoleman

Guest grahamcoleman

Hi there,

Like all of you there are times when I need to watch the match to see where I'm going wrong, but sometimes I'd like to be able to speed it up, say going into a cup game I know I'm going to win etc. My PC isn't the best, is a 1.5g celeron with 512 MB RAM

Here's what I'm doing, can anyone suggest is there anything else:

1) Match Speed - I have the match speed and highlight speed set to the highest, with only text commentary and highlights off.

2) Patch - I've downloaded the newest patch (8.0.2) and am starting a new game using this

3) Other Tweaks - to improve in general I've minimised the game detail from other games, turned off the news bar, and made some changes to minimise what I see in the Transfer Centre

4) Virtual Memory - I've increased the VM (doubled it)

5) Process Priority - I've set the priority for the process (in the task manager) to be the highest

6) "GameGain" - I'm using a tool called Game Gain that gives some increased performance in games, it's a bit like the FM Speeder thing people mention, but appears to be more robust etc. They don't claim to make massive increases, something like 2-5% I think

Can anyone think of anything else I can do (bar by a new PC / RAM) to help with increasing the actual match speed? It's more this, than the overall game speed that is the problem I think.

Cheers

Guest grahamcoleman

Hi there,

Like all of you there are times when I need to watch the match to see where I'm going wrong, but sometimes I'd like to be able to speed it up, say going into a cup game I know I'm going to win etc. My PC isn't the best, is a 1.5g celeron with 512 MB RAM

Here's what I'm doing, can anyone suggest is there anything else:

1) Match Speed - I have the match speed and highlight speed set to the highest, with only text commentary and highlights off.

2) Patch - I've downloaded the newest patch (8.0.2) and am starting a new game using this

3) Other Tweaks - to improve in general I've minimised the game detail from other games, turned off the news bar, and made some changes to minimise what I see in the Transfer Centre

4) Virtual Memory - I've increased the VM (doubled it)

5) Process Priority - I've set the priority for the process (in the task manager) to be the highest

6) "GameGain" - I'm using a tool called Game Gain that gives some increased performance in games, it's a bit like the FM Speeder thing people mention, but appears to be more robust etc. They don't claim to make massive increases, something like 2-5% I think

Can anyone think of anything else I can do (bar by a new PC / RAM) to help with increasing the actual match speed? It's more this, than the overall game speed that is the problem I think.

Cheers

Guest grahamcoleman

yeah I understand that about the PC, thought it would be a bit more playable just - like for example I noticed a half was taking about 3-4 mins to play at the fastest speed. What would that be on a higher spec PC?

About the graphics - yeah I will try to decrease everything in the preferences later, see if that helps

Guest grahamcoleman

virus programs - yeah I've unplugged from the Internet when playing, and stopped the virus checker and Firewall. Also don't have anything else running on the PC at the same time

It depends how much action a match has as to how long it will last. Typically a half on a high spec machine will take about 1-3 minutes.

You can also try doing various things for your computer: Defrag, do a scan on your hard drive for errors, perform a disk cleanup - all that kind of stuff. Won't make much difference though, unless your hard drive is particularly fragmented.

From what I can see, you've done all you can without upgrading, mate. Doesn't have to be massively expensive, though. Buying another half-gig of RAM would help a bit.

All depends on what you can/want to afford and if you can/want to justify the outlay.

Guest grahamcoleman

I actually did run a defrag, and have a RAM booster running.

I'm in denial about buying more RAM just, see that probably won't fix it, when my processor isn't up to it either

Guest grahamcoleman

QUESTION - if I did increase from 512MB RAM to 1024 with the same 1.5g processor, any ideas (and I know it's a guess) how much that would improve things, or is the processor the more important part for this sort of thing

Guest grahamcoleman

yeah, sort of what I thought

what I'll do is run that RAM optimiser, and try and decrease as many of the performance / graphics prefs as I can

FINAL QUESTION - is there any way to turn the 2d match off completely either for all games, or for certain games, or during games?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

It would make some difference, but I can't see it being massive tbh. A better processor would be required to make any noticeable differences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd respectfully disagree with the noticeable difference bit. It would be noticeable. And far cheaper than buying a new PC.

I had 512 MB physical RAM before, and the game would go into the virtual memory (which is far slower) regardless of how many applications I turned off.

The RAM optimizer..... all that will do, is temporarily free up RAM (which re-booting also achieves). You will need to keep doing it over and over. I've tried it before. It's not really a sound option in the long run.

Sorry, but I tried all these things too and when I installed more RAM that did the trick.

You can disagree all you like but the game won't be able to perform well on a 1.5ghz celeron processor, regardless of the amount of RAM. Unfortunately the game requires a lot of processing. It's a little bit like wanting to go 200mph in a 1 litre engine - just not going to happen. icon_smile.gif

Guest grahamcoleman

well cheers for the help lads, if I can get RAM cheap might add some, but in mean-time think I have to just live with my crap PC and make tea during each game icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

You can disagree all you like but the game won't be able to perform well on a 1.5ghz celeron processor, regardless of the amount of RAM. Unfortunately the game requires a lot of processing. It's a little bit like wanting to go 200mph in a 1 litre engine - just not going to happen. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will perform noticeably "better", even though overall, it will not be performing "well". icon_wink.gif

Guest grahamcoleman

FM Speeder? yeah but lots of people said that shipped with a Trojan in it!

Reckon I'll stay away from that so - speed up games of footie Vs have to wipe PC icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grahamcoleman:

FM Speeder? yeah but lots of people said that shipped with a Trojan in it!

Reckon I'll stay away from that so - speed up games of footie Vs have to wipe PC icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't remember having any trouble with it myself although I am just about to scan it now to check.

For anyone who wants to take the risk, let it be on your head.

CM/FM Speeder

You could always try (gasp...) setting up a tactic ahead of the game and then after the initial team talk go on holiday for one day, thus letting your ass man manage the team for the rest of game, including the the half time and post match talks. You can even tick the options to let your assman use the current tactics you've provided for that match.

Guest grahamcoleman

yeah I went through some posts was about to install it and then read a few, from different people saying that when they ran a scan on it, it said it contained a trojan. Like you, I don't know, is 2nd hand info, just wanted to pass it on in case its true. Mind you, lots of people use it and seem fine.

Does it improve the game speed much?

Guest grahamcoleman

i just saved the zip, scanned that with my virus checker (Computer Associates, eTrust) and it looked fine. Then I unzipped to another folder, scanned that again and looked fine.

Might try using that - does it improve speed much ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grahamcoleman:

yeah I went through some posts was about to install it and then read a few, from different people saying that when they ran a scan on it, it said it contained a trojan. Like you, I don't know, is 2nd hand info, just wanted to pass it on in case its true. Mind you, lots of people use it and seem fine.

Does it improve the game speed much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can improve the game speed immensely as you have control over how fast you want it to work.

As for the trojan reports, my belief is that this is happening as a trojan is a program which alters settings and such likeon your computer.

As this is also what CM Speeder is doing then I'm guessing thats why it doesn't get on with anitvirus programs.

How do you manage to see what is happening when it runs so fast?

I have a 1.5 GB processor laptop and run all matches on key highlights with the highlight speed slider midway between centre and the fastest. If I put it any faster the ball is whizzing back and forth so fast I can't get any kind of idea what is happening properly!

Guest grahamcoleman

grand I'll try that too - people are warning not to set too high or it could causes freezes, any experience with that? or what is yours set to etc?

Guest grahamcoleman

glamdring - sometimes I don't want to see what is happening. For example if I'm 2-0 up and coasting with 30 mins to go and am confident I'll win it, I have to sit thru 3 mins etc. Just means I'm finding it very hard to get thru the season. Only really get to play a few hours here and there, and at the moment I only manage 4 or 5 matches in an evening - with them taking 10-12 mins a pop y'know?

for most part though I do watch the game

I probably get through a similar number of matches in an evening, but I guess I'm used to it so just accept it. I'm always watching tele or eating or doing something else at the same time as playing anyway so I just go at a leisurely pace and, in some games, have been known to take months to complete a season!

grand I'll try that too - people are warning not to set too high or it could causes freezes, any experience with that? or what is yours set to etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon that would depend on how shabby your video card is. I havent used it in years but it's best to start on around 2^2.2 and then experiment until your satisfied.

@ glamdring - Some people don't want to watch matches for their own reasons. Perhaps it's a boring cup match or a friendly, it's just a case of personal preference.

if its any consolation mate, my pc aint that good, its bout 3 years old aswell, me n my mate have been playing a netgame for a while, were on our 4th season and on the time game thing it says, 4 days 2 hours!! but seems very playable, we average bout 17 games every 5/6 hours!!

You could quite easily (and cheaply) now buy a new processor. Just make sure it is compatable with your Motherboard before taking the plunge. Also RAM is really cheap nowadays. Another 512mb stick will be nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sparky_07:

Sorry again what would you recommend raising my virtual memory too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's almost impossible to say really - it depends on your PC, how much disk space is being used and plenty of things. Only increase it a small amount from the default value. It should tell you what is recommended, how much free space you have etc. If you have loads of spare disk space you can probably double your virtual memory, but I'd advise just increasing it maybe 10% at first.

My work PC has 6GB virtual memory, but my home laptop has more like 400MB so it's impossible to give specific advice!

Archived