Can a Career Save Put You Off The New Game?

FM08 provided my longest career save ever, trouncing my previous best of 5 seasons with Bolton on CM03/04. I’m in 2026 with FC Bayern and I’m as addicted as I was in 2012. Of course 08 had many a well documented problem, but I can live with those and don’t find newgens or transfers all that irritating. The problem with this is that I don’t have much time or inclination to play FM09.

The new additions to FM09 were massive, but there was nothing that really grabbed me and made me eager to play it. I wonder if I would have been more interested or excited if I hadn’t found 08 so engrossing.

FM08 in 2026 feels like a brand new game, most of the players who start the game have moved on, newgens rule the world, the teams who rule Europe have changed and my rival managers include Viera and Neville. It’s a brand new challenge and I’m loving every minute of it.

Despite enjoying this save, I feel that it has ruined my 09 experience. I have 09 installed, but I’m yet to play past the end of September and probably haven’t given it a chance, but I don’t see that changing any time soon.

Has my FM08 career save ruined my FM09 experience? Has anyone experienced this with previous versions?

Worst of all, as SI continue the hunt for the perfect FM game, do they run the risk of putting people off buying future versions because they enjoy their current save/game so much?

I am in the same boat as you Nomis07, I'm surprised we haven't bumped into each other on deck... ;)

I think it is also time related. Now that I have an excellent and well-established game on '08 I can play for 30 mins or an odd hour. To get into '09 will require me to lay aside a big chunk of time and also not play my most enjoyable '08 game. This is tricky- I no longer have un-iterrupted days to play. Perhaps the Christmas holidays will be my '09 addiction point...

I found that my excitement over the new version eclipsed my enjoyment (which was high) of my FM08 career game. I said to myself that no matter how much I was enjoying it, I'd put it to bed for FM09. I guess it was high risk because if FM09 hadn't been any good, I'd have been gutted. Fortunately, I love it.

this is the reason i haven't migrated yet. Roma need me too much!!! lol I cant just abandon them in their hour of need. Until i get bored of this save or something tragic happens a la corrupt saved game or the like i will be carrying on with 08. plus it gives time til the second patch is out:thup:

You raise an excellent point Suttface. Given family commitments and time, I only get about 30 mins of playing time every night, because my 08 save is well established and I don't have much work to do with it I can get through maybe 4-5 games in those 30 mins, if I was playing 09 I probably wouldn't even get a game played in 30 mins.

I suppose my overall point is, as SI continually improve the game, will there come a point where the game is so good that people won't be interested in buying what is essentially just a data update every year? I don't think this is what happens atm and the changes made each year are significant, but the game improves every year and eventually they will hit a ceiling with a game that the majority enjoy and won't want to stray from.

Had an awesome career game going on FM08 which was in to the 2020's but due to work commitments I have been unable to play FM much for the past few months which meant I had lost my interest in that save game. Had FM09 come out 3 months ago I would have stuck with FM08 as you have.

Have got a promising career on FM09 going at the moment though, and I think with the massive improvement in regens I will probably go past the 2020's (which was a 2 time record for me on FM08). I can't express how much regens have improved in FM09, making managing in the A-League as I am, an enjoyable long term save-game.

You raise an excellent point Suttface. Given family commitments and time, I only get about 30 mins of playing time every night, because my 08 save is well established and I don't have much work to do with it I can get through maybe 4-5 games in those 30 mins, if I was playing 09 I probably wouldn't even get a game played in 30 mins.

I suppose my overall point is, as SI continually improve the game, will there come a point where the game is so good that people won't be interested in buying what is essentially just a data update every year? I don't think this is what happens atm and the changes made each year are significant, but the game improves every year and eventually they will hit a ceiling with a game that the majority enjoy and won't want to stray from.

I have thought this for a couple of years now and to an extent I think this is already happening. A lot of people are either slow to swap over or dont bother at all.

It may very well get to a point where:

1) People are sick of losing good saved games to start the latest release

2) People start becoming reluctant to pay for essentially updated teamsheets

There are so many data updates out for older releases that people are happy to d/l and keep going with their older game.

Usually I go straight for the new game coz i cant resist the new features until this one where my saved game for me outweighs 09 features.

I usually start with lower league teams and work my way up. In my last game on FM08 I was managing Leeds and got them high up te Championship before resigning when my relationship with Ken Bates deteriorated. A couple of months later I got offered the Liverpool job and so had just started that when FM09 arrived. It's proving had to make the migration - especially as my tactics aren't instantly transferrable...

I was thinking about posting the exact same topic. I'm in 2070 in FM07 and I've played two seasons in FM08 and have had a hard time getting started on FM09. It's hard to me to go back to the BSN after working so hard to make the world's most dominant team. I like the new features (new transfer module, 3D) but it's not enough to give up my long-term game.

I was thinking about posting the exact same topic. I'm in 2070 in FM07 and I've played two seasons in FM08 and have had a hard time getting started on FM09. It's hard to me to go back to the BSN after working so hard to make the world's most dominant team. I like the new features (new transfer module, 3D) but it's not enough to give up my long-term game.

2070??!?!

can we see a screen please?

same for me. I'm at 2032 and I simply miss my players and my team. SI have to find a way to implement a save game carry over to the new version, even if it simply means to add a database export option in order to use a future database as a starting database on the new game. I think that would be awesome. It'll probably take me the rest of the week to create my current 08 team on the data editor so I can play with them, but even so it won't be the same.

Has my FM08 career save ruined my FM09 experience? Has anyone experienced this with previous versions?

Worst of all, as SI continue the hunt for the perfect FM game, do they run the risk of putting people off buying future versions because they enjoy their current save/game so much?

Oh, absolutely.

I have purchased every CM/FM since CM01/02, but long-running saves mean that the versions I'm most familiar with are CM01/02, FM'05, and FM'08 .. I barely touched '06 at all, I don't think I've even got the most recent patch downloaded. :D

So why do I purchase it every year?

Because I'm fully in favour of supporting SI's development: whenever I do start a new save, I want SI to be "in business" and holding themselves to the same high standard that had engrossed me into that previous save ..

.. and also because I can't predict when the save will "end" .. my FM'05 save ended about February of the FM'08 year, so I (finally) got started with the (fully patched!) '08 then .. but I was quite glad I had it installed, patched, modded up the way I like, and ready to go when I was ready for it.

So, I don't consider FM'06 to be a "loss" for me at all .. even if it got a tiny fraction of the game-play-hours that '05 did.

Play your '08 save for as long as it engrosses you, my friend .. but don't regret purchasing '09 to support the company.

Still playing my first and only game of FM 05. Bought '08 - it was good, but hardly played it because of the '05 game. Enjoyed the demo of '09, but just need to play one more season of '05 (again) before I consider buying.

Tony

On my old computer I made it up to 2018 on FM08 and it was some of the best playing time I've had. Pity that my old comp blew up on me and I lost everything.

I can't really get into FM09 yet because of all the bugs.

Bloody Hell. Three times in a row for England.

Archived