United Losing Money

Hey, Im manager at United, and everythings now going OK except one thing, my finances.

Im losing £7m a month, is this natural? Because its crippling my club

This is all down to the interest payments in order to service the various bank loans the club has.

This has been the case on the last two versions of FM. So long as you do well in Europe and finish high in the league then you can usually make a profit at the end of the season - so long as you don't go mad on transfers that is.

Last season IRL Man U nited couldn't pay their interest payments and rolled them over into bigger debt.

Where did you get this information from?

Last season the club earned more money than in the previous two seasons (where the debt was able to be serviced comfortably despite going out of Europe before Xmas in 2005/06) due to winning the PL and the Champions League so there would be more than enough money to service the debt.

Last season they were looking at refinancing the debt but the interest rates were so high that it was not considered beneficial.

Last season IRL Man U nited couldn't pay their interest payments and rolled them over into bigger debt.

I heard something about this but not sure what happened after the story was released. I think it did happen though. And i hope they do go bust in real life and get relegated. Dirty Munich Scum!

It was in the media at the time, they rolled the interest over at the end of the last financial year.

United are a club who are only a few dodgy seasons away from real trouble. If two or three of these other clubs get bought out and manage to push United out of the top four, then they could be in real danger.

Im under my wage budget and its getting bigger and bigger, i dont even think the income at the end of the season will appease it too well

If you are only in your first season then you should be showing a profit in your finances anyway. So long as you balance your transfers i.e. roughly the same value in as you pay out, then with the TV revenue and season ticket sales in the summer break then you should be okay.

It was in the media at the time, they rolled the interest over at the end of the last financial year.

United are a club who are only a few dodgy seasons away from real trouble. If two or three of these other clubs get bought out and manage to push United out of the top four, then they could be in real danger.

I don't remember that happening last season - I remember them refinancing the debt in 2006 and they were talking about doing it again last season but then that didn't happen. Any link to a story about this would be appreciated. I'm not saying you are wrong by the way - I must have missed it somehow, which is unusual as I'm often fairly on the ball with stuff happening at the club.

I heard something about this but not sure what happened after the story was released. I think it did happen though. And i hope they do go bust in real life and get relegated. Dirty Munich Scum!

Your the only scum here for even bringing that up

last set of acvconts filed with companies house for MUFC showed something like ebita at 42m, you then need to deduct from that the 60m the loans cost in interest before actually paying off any of the capital.

and as for the remark above, do one mate, using an event that claimed the lives of players, journo and families to mock is not big or clever.

Where did you get this information from?

Last season the club earned more money than in the previous two seasons (where the debt was able to be serviced comfortably despite going out of Europe before Xmas in 2005/06) due to winning the PL and the Champions League so there would be more than enough money to service the debt.

Last season they were looking at refinancing the debt but the interest rates were so high that it was not considered beneficial.

I'm afraid that there wont be enough to pay the debt at all. The interest alone is more than United are making at the moment. The real test is in 2010 deadline of the three hedge funds: Citadel, Och-Ziff Capital Management Group and Perry Capital. Then we'll see the true impact of the Glazer gimps.

Dirty Munich Scum!

You can't buy class like that mate, your Mummy and Daddy must be so proud. If you are ever at Old Trafford on the forecourt be sure to let the lads there know your opinions.

you will generally make a loss through the season no matter what club your at, the real money is at the end and beginning where you receive TV rights, and league position fees etc.

Then its back to making a loss per month unless players are sold to maintain profits.

You've received a warning for this. Please moderate your posts in future. Cheers, GM.

Was about to comment on the bile from the post near the top but that's been swiftly sorted :) I'm about half way into my second season now with United, the best thing to do is not spend too big (or at least not over commit yourself to spending over a long period as that's added on top of the interest repayments) I was left with around £26m at the end of the season and due to competition success/player sales and sponsorship am topping the £55m mark, if your struggling to raise cash Danny Simpson, Fraizer Campbell and John O'Shea will bring in a tidy revenue stream :)

I have just reported you for saying that. You should be ashamed of yourself. People died.

You sir are the sort of people who are runining this country. I'm ashamed of actually being on these same forums as you!.

Every report about Man Utd not being able to service their debt is pure speculation. All we really have is a rough idea of what the club's debt is, and what the Glazer's personal debt is. Since they are no longer a PLC we don't know what their overall revenue is from ticket sales, global merchandising, sponsorships and so on.

Personally I think it's naive to assume that the club is going bankrupt, the Glazer's have had plenty of financial success with sporting clubs in the past, Utd continue to bring in sponsorship money, and every success enhances the global brand. Personally I'm not too worried.

Every report about Man Utd not being able to service their debt is pure speculation. All we really have is a rough idea of what the club's debt is, and what the Glazer's personal debt is. Since they are no longer a PLC we don't know what their overall revenue is from ticket sales, global merchandising, sponsorships and so on.

Personally I think it's naive to assume that the club is going bankrupt, the Glazer's have had plenty of financial success with sporting clubs in the past, Utd continue to bring in sponsorship money, and every success enhances the global brand. Personally I'm not too worried.

Personally I feel it is naive that people think that everything will be rosy. I hope to God that you are right that United wont end up in freefall. It is like that old saying though that a team is too good to go down only to see them go down to everyones surprise. I'm very worried about the future. Let's just see and hope that you can say in the end that you told me so.

As for the Glazer's though what financial success exactly are you talking about? The way they threatened to move the Buccaneers out of Tampa if the city didn't fund the new stadium? How about the way they also made the city pay $12m for a conference centre that they said would be owend by the city only later to claim for themselves and not even give the money to the city? Perhaps you mean the way they charged the fans a once in a lifetime deposit for a 10 year license just to have the right to buy a season ticket each year (which if I remember rightly included a clause that they could sue the fan if they didn't buy a season ticket in each of the 10 years.) and then receive the money back. What happened when the 10 years were up? The fans didn't get their money back and even tried to get them to pay another deposit. They won a superbowl which clouded a lot of fans view over there. We were winning trophies long before they put the cancer into our club and once we recover from whatever state we may or may not end up in we'll win trophies again. They will go about it the same way (the price increases, automatic cup scheme etc) over here and while we are winning things people will be blinded to it.

Sorry about the rant. I do realise this is about the game, I wont post anymore about the real life situation.

Archived