do gretna get a new ground in your game?

i was playing with gretna in one of the 20/20 challenges and after the first season i moved from groundsharing with motherwell into my own stadium. i wouldn't be complaining if the capacity hadn't gone from about 13,500 (fir park's capacity, i was averaging about 6,500) to 6,000 (raysdale park iirc). i struggled to 6th place last season by loaning in a lot of english premiership youngsters and was entering the ev. all of a sudden the club takes £2m off the balance to build a stadium smaller than the average attendance than i got ground-sharing. my point is does this always happen or was it because i had £3m as the balance.

Its because Raysdale was there original stadium and they had to move while work was carried out to make it premiership standard, just like Fulham moved to Loftus Road few years back before moving back to Craven Cottage, in your cause they moved to a bigger stadium tempoary while theres was being renovated.

The minimum criteria in Scotland is now 6,000. it used to be 10,000. The reason for the change was to try and save clubs going bust just trying to get into the SPL. It makes sense as outside of the Old Firm visiting a lot of clubs only get 4 to 6,000 fans.

I would imagine in FM09 Gretna (as they went out of business completely. A new Gretna team has been formed in the lower leagues) will have an entirely new stadium but won't make much difference as they'll be unplayable. Unless of course we see teams being forced to shutdown because of their debt then the election process taking place for a team to replace them.

Aren't stadiums meant to be at least 10,000 in the Scottish Premier League?
6,000...and while Raydale was being built up to SPL standards, Gretna had a choice of using a closer stadium which had a small capacity but still within SPL regulations (I've heard Netherdale in Galashiels being mentioned in the past, though according to Gala Fairydean's info page in the game the stadium only has 3,000 capacity), but opted to share Fir Park with Motherwell because it had a considerably higher capacity. Personally I think this was a bad choice, as they weren't going to be filling either stadium except in their half dozen matches against Rangers/Celtic.

6,000...and while Raydale was being built up to SPL standards, Gretna had a choice of using a closer stadium which had a small capacity but still within SPL regulations (I've heard Netherdale in Galashiels being mentioned in the past, though according to Gala Fairydean's info page in the game the stadium only has 3,000 capacity), but opted to share Fir Park with Motherwell because it had a considerably higher capacity. Personally I think this was a bad choice, as they weren't going to be filling either stadium except in their half dozen matches against Rangers/Celtic.

Not sure where you heard the Gala Fairydean story? Netherdale isn't even 3rd Division standard let alone the SPL. SPL standards means 6000 seats and that was Gretna's only option apart from Carlisle which I have vague recollections of. Gretna never bothered to redevelop Raydale Park - they were totally at it and are now playing on a public park, ironically a few hundred yards down the road from Annan Athletic who took their SFL place after they were demoted to Division 3 in pre-season before going bust.

You can learn more about Scotland's non-league sides at this link:

http://nonleaguescotland.co.uk/

Will Gretna still be in FM09 ? or did they go out of buisness ?

Annan Athletic is in the third division as a remplacment.

Netherdale youve got to be kidding. Maybe the Rugby Stadium next door might manage SPL quality(when the borders reviers had the tempory stand) but as a person who lives just 5 mins walk from Netherdale id laugh if that one stadium that got refused from the third division when Gretna go it was used.

You maybe heard Gala Fairydean get mentioned as a team who applied to replace Gretna in the leagues but Annan Athletic got in.

Archived