Why bother putting media comments in the game?

I generally love the FM series but lately it's becoming more and more rediculous.

For example!

Media interaction whats the point, there is very little to gain and so much to lose from using this feature, i.e you want to interact with another manager before or after a game, you may get lucky and improve one players morale, but at the cost of damaging another 5 players morale. What complete tosh, your telling me everytime Alex ferguson does a pre match or post match press confrence regarding the game or the oppositions manager, that half his players become depressed because they dont like him commenting on another team. So now we're left with a game full on media interaction but the user soon learns to avoid it and just says no comment to everything.

Another thing is the complaining about a match incident after the game, whats the point there dots on the screen unless it's an offside decision how the hell would i know if it's a penalty or not, once again after when the novalty has warn off and your fed up of your touch line bans, then this is another aspect of the game the user just presses no comment on.

Lastly half time team talks, it makes me chuckle that its blatently quite obvious that SI put the, "Don't let your performance drop" message to purposely trip up the user, like some hidden code that when you use that your team in the 2nd half with play so bad its unbelievable. I actuall hate going in half time 2-0 up, because which ever option you use seems not to work to well, yet if your only winning by an odd goal then the "encourage" option works quite well, but that option isn't there once you winning by more then one.

IMO players morale should only change depending on results, media comments directed at them or the team in general, or things such as the player wants to leave club, personal problems or not getting into the first team. etc

I agree - basically it is pretty useless to comment on anything - just press the continue button. You run too much risk of lowering morale. The only time I might comment is when I'm facing a former player and say I'm not worried about him and will just say hello. Your players will always like this, and the only drawback is if the former player has high determination his morale will go up.

But media questions basically should be ignored - and I found saying no comment on team talks works fine also in keeping morale up. Maybe this could be changed.

I used to hate them, too, but I think you'll find that the media and team talks can actually be fun - the articles in Tactics and Training Tips entitled "Communication and Psychological Warfare" and "Wolfsong's Guide to Teamtalks" can really give you a lot of insight into the psyche of your players.

I used to hate them, too, but I think you'll find that the media and team talks can actually be fun - the articles in Tactics and Training Tips entitled "Communication and Psychological Warfare" and "Wolfsong's Guide to Teamtalks" can really give you a lot of insight into the psyche of your players.

That would be great, but the whole media comment side of the game is so repetitive. And as for the team talks, it's just not clear enough what they mean. There's too much ambiguity in them.

I've read the thread regarding team talks and i use it in my game, i notice though nowhere in the thread does it say to use "dont let your performance drop" which i can only assume with it being a sure fire way to lose the game that it's there to trip the user up. With regards to psychological warfare, it's something i've not attempted, i like to put my own personality into my manager, so for example if i'm playing a team thats doing better then expected in the league i want to tell the other manager he's done a good job, without affecting the morale of my team, if i'm up against one of my former players and he'd done well for me in the past, i want to say he's an excellent player even if he's not, why because i'm nice, jeez but in this game you get punished severely.

I'm managing Oldham now in the prem year 2018, best team by far, won the premier league last 2 seasons, and i come up against Bristol City in the cup who are league 1 one of my former players plays for them and was an integral part of my team through the rise to the top, but he's now mid 30's and generally sucks, but i said he's an excellent player and will be a danger as always, next thing 5 of my players have now got a poor morale and dont think they will be able to deal with the threat, he's a flaming league 1 player for gods sake.

Yeah, they are utterly tedious but every game has it's bad points. I would take these for all the good points FM offers.

I think thay could work if SI brought a bit of common sense to them, personally due to the damage they do to morale, like alot of users i just pass no comment to everything i get asked, which then makes you think why put them in the game because they must of known that the user would soon realise they have a detremental effect and stop using them.

I think they should keep the media comments they should add more but they shouldn't effect players morale as easily as it does now, all the team talk options should work if the right one is used depending on the game at that time, for example if i'm winning 4-0 at half time confidence is high the morale of the other team is now poor i should be able to tell them not to let there performance drop, if it's only by a single goal then encourage would probably be the best option. This way the user can vary waht they say it wouldn't be so repetitive and you know you wont be damaging the morale of your player by using the odd comment.

The one I don't get is when you get the scout report of your opponents, and you get the option 'comment on opposing dangerman'. And you get options and options to praise him!!!

If you had the option to say "he's just a big Nancy boy" or "he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is" then that would be something... :D

An option where you could choose to comment on any player (you are about to face)may be a good idea. Say Spurs playing Man Utd and you get the option to comment about Evra such as "I think Lennon will skin him alive". Now THAT would be something! :)

With former players, I'd love to be able to point out "He was never a first team player" or the like. I hate it when they claim i said he wouldn't get into my team these days. The idiot would have NEVER got into the team, even in an injury crisis!

comment options in plain english would go a long towards improving media interaction

they can have the game translate them into managerese afterwards, but quite frankly im fed up with having to decypher ambiguous, poorly phrased, nonsensicle gibberish every time.

Archived