no cd/dvd, insert original disc

:(Hi,

I hope you can help as I have a problem with football manager 2008.

I have just recently bought a new lap top with windows vista and attempted to install fm2008,

which was fine. But it won't run when i double click on the short cut.

It will either bring up an error message, 'please insert the original disc instead of backup

(4001)',or'insert original disc no cd/dvd'.

I had the same disc,which is an original on my old PC and it worked fine.

How can i get it working? I havn't a clue what to do or how do it!

What sort of file is it that you have downloaded?

If its a .rar or .zip you need to use something like WinRAR (free download - Google if you don't have it). Once WinRAR is installed right click on the patch .rar or .zip and press extract here. Thats should create a new file in the same location that ends with a .exe.

Once that file is extracted, simply double click it and press update. Let it finish and then press Exit. Your game will be updated.

If you downloaded the .exe itself then just do what I said in the sentance above.

If you downloaded .torrent then you will need to use a torren client to download the actual patch but instead of doing that I would just reccomend downloading from here.

At first i thought this'd be a silly pirate trying to get us to help. Thankfully not...

What I found with my old laptop was that if i loaded the game, got that message, opened the cd tray, closed it again and tried again it'd recognise the disk being in. This was when the laptop started having problems in general though, so not sure if it'll help with a brand new one.

I've just got a new laptop with Vista. The games goes in a different folder and you have to find it and copy the shortcut to the desktop.

I've heard this but I'm on Vista and it installs to the same place :confused:

I've heard this but I'm on Vista and it installs to the same place :confused:

You don't get the Desktop or Start Menu Shortcuts in Vista - you have to access the game through the Game Explorer (That apparently according to the Known Issues Sticky at the top of the forum, changes location depending on your Version of Vista).

You don't get the Desktop or Start Menu Shortcuts in Vista - you have to access the game through the Game Explorer (That apparently according to the Known Issues Sticky at the top of the forum, changes location depending on your Version of Vista).

I got both shortcuts on mine. Seems wierd. Not that I'm complaining, doesn't matter one or or the other to me, as long as I can play :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to install fm08 to my vista business laptop and get the following message:

Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (4001)

I have tried the SecuROM advice:

1. Open the Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your CD/DVD drive is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select "DMA if Available" if the current setting is "PIO Only." If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then you must toggle the settings. That is:

* Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

* Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if available.

But i cant see the channel the my dvd is connected to, however, out of the four in that section only one has the DMA option which was already selected. Now i'm stuck, any ideas???

I just tried to install fm08 to my vista business laptop and get the following message:

Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (4001)

I have tried the SecuROM advice:

1. Open the Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your CD/DVD drive is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select "DMA if Available" if the current setting is "PIO Only." If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then you must toggle the settings. That is:

* Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

* Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if available.

But i cant see the channel the my dvd is connected to, however, out of the four in that section only one has the DMA option which was already selected. Now i'm stuck, any ideas???

Install the patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived