Players becoming unhappy about Transfer Bids rejected...

Ok, so we've all had the

[CLUB A] Striker [PLAYER X] has told a newspaper that he is unhappy at his managers decision to not allow him to hold talks with [CLUB B].

And its frustrating. Whats more frustrating is the fact that, when you're a lower league club on the rise, or a low-mid table team in any division, you get a lot of bids for a lot of players from higher rep clubs, and 35+ % of your team are unhappy that you've not allowed them to hold talks with other clubs.

I cant tell you how annoying that is.

Now, I'm not ENTIRELY sure how this works in real life, but unless a club goes public, does the player ALWAYS know when a club has bid on him, or can the manager just politely say "no thanks, hes not for sale" and the player be none the wiser?

I've lost so many players on frees after not letting them go and them getting unhappy and not signing contracts, and I've had enough :mad:

Now, I'm not ENTIRELY sure how this works in real life, but unless a club goes public, does the player ALWAYS know when a club has bid on him, or can the manager just politely say "no thanks, hes not for sale" and the player be none the wiser?

The emboldened section is completely true in relation to a real life situation. However, if the manager in real life feels that the opportunity for the player is one which he'd be silly to turn down (say a Premiership team bidding for a League 2 player) then the manager would let the player know and see what they think. If it's two Premiership clubs though then the manager will often make the decision.

I understand that, I guess aab, but look at this scenario.

Real London (Championship) - 15 players have been bid on. 9 of them become unhappy.

Of the bids upon the 9 unhappy, only 2 have come from premiership clubs. only 1 has come from a club positioned higher than Real London in the final league standings, leaving 6 players unhappy that I rejected offers from them from clubs lower on the tier than I.

Thats why its so frustrating. I'm sure in real life I would have the option as stated above.

I get that, If a big club wants a player form a smaller club (Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott, Wayne Rooney, John Bostock), then they also let the media know about this, so the player cant not know. But when a club in 18th place offers for a player in a team placed 7 places above them, I shouldn't have to deal with the player getting unhappy, when in reality, he shouldn't know :(

You didn't mention what leagues/positions the bidding where before but knowing that puts a different perspective on my thoughts.

It just shouldn't happen. Players want to play as high as possible so why want to move to teams in leagues lower than that they are currently playing in. It's stupid thinking.

I think the 'inform player of bid for them' option would be a good one to add into the game and make transfer related matters slightly better. If a bid got itself into the media and the player found out that way fair enough, but it would be nice, that if the bid was a 'private' bid (viewable through the page when the bid is properly made) then it would make sense to not have to tell the player as is the case in real life.

I don't know what stage you are at in the league re the date but if you haven't passed the refresh point of June 19th then your club rep won't have gotten the full boost based on your league position yet. So hopefully when it does your rep will get better than those who finished behind you and players won't get ****y (unless those clubs came down from the Premiership recently).

If you have passed that date then I don't know what to say. It's an issue I've posted about before (in fact my first post on here was a rant about this very thing). It can result in players joining a 'relegated from League A' team instead of a 'promoted to League A team' etc. All it needs is some kind of reference to league position and maybe general club trajectory, or as others have suggested splitting reputation into two parts (Historical and Current).

Out of curiosity what is your scouting method? Me I'm methodical and send scouts as soon as the regen date has passed. This often leads to me finding players and being able to sign them with little if no competition. It also leads to me having way more high potential players than other clubs and the squad with the most wanted icons in the game. I think a tweak to make AI scouting more efficient would help but I suspect there's processing reasons behind the current 'slow out of the traps' AI scouts.

I get that, If a big club wants a player form a smaller club (Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott, Wayne Rooney, John Bostock), then they also let the media know about this, so the player cant not know. But when a club in 18th place offers for a player in a team placed 7 places above them, I shouldn't have to deal with the player getting unhappy, when in reality, he shouldn't know :(

I don't know about him never knowing (if a football club is like any other business then secrets rarely stay that way) but a time release to it would make it feel more organic rather than the instant input-output of 'Manager rejects bid' then next day immediate 'player unhappy'. They could throw some fluff into it like wrapping it up in headlines (which could involve a deny/admit interaction with the player) or a player coming out to complain a week or two later because his agent discovered you had rejected a bid. At the moment it's like they all have the transfer version of spidey-sense.

Can't disagree with you though that it is very bloody annoying after a while especially when every second message is an enquiry/bid. It's one of the reasons I quit a Leeds save I had going. At one point Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd had made bids/enquiries for 10+ players in my squad for 3 straight transfer windows. What the hell would they have done with 10 of my players? Second to that is it shows a lack of stategy on the AI manager's part in terms of building a squad as they would bid for high PA players regardless of their actual squad needs. But that was on 8.0.0 and it does seem to be improved on 8.0.2 with managers appearing to go for players they actually need.

Sometimes I miss the 'less realistic' versions like CM 01/02 where you could have a squad of 17/18 year olds who played their entire career with your team and rarely complained about moving to a bigger club. Depending on my mood the 'simulation' side to it can either drain the joy from the experience or it can add to the challenge.

I think the 'inform player of bid for them' option would be a good one to add into the game and make transfer related matters slightly better. If a bid got itself into the media and the player found out that way fair enough, but it would be nice, that if the bid was a 'private' bid (viewable through the page when the bid is properly made) then it would make sense to not have to tell the player as is the case in real life.

That's an interesting one for me. At the moment it's kind of a one way street but introducing something like that makes for more communication and alleviates the loss of control player interaction can give. So you can explain to a player why you rejected a bid instead of having to wait for it to reach boiling point and he requests a transfer before you get the chance to give him an indication of why you don't want to sell him.

Still not sure that anything in football ever remains private though, but what do I know :confused:

The thing that annoys me is that the clubs don't stop their attempts. If I play as a club like Tottenham or someone, and I get a gem of a player, no matter how many times I reject requests and bids (and set his asking price incredibly high), the big clubs continue to bid over and over again, and each time my player gets angry that he can't hold talks with all these clubs.

It only gets manageable in games where I've been the best team in the world for a couple years in a row, because then they don't want to leave my club..

Out of curiosity what is your scouting method?

As I'm only allowed 4 scouts, (but have 6) I scout 24 7. each scout is assigned 4 nations, none the same and they scout continually year round.

The thing that annoys me is that the clubs don't stop their attempts.

Yes yes yes. I hate it when I reject a bid for a player, and the next day the same team comes back bidding. sod off :D

Thanks for your reply, isuck, detailed as always.

Did your rep get boosted at the start of the new season, and was it enough to stop the players wanting to move to clubs who barely avoided relegation?

Thanks for your reply, isuck, detailed as always.

That's me. 17 sentences where 1 will do the same job :D

From experience though it will never end. As soon as your club rep gets high enough that the lesser teams in the Championship stop bidding, then the Premiership clubs will start throwing their weight around. You have now become an unofficial feeder club to the higher rep clubs. For some reason if you holiday clubs stop enquiring all the time but for whatever reason that also makes it more likely your chairman will step in if a bid is made.

According to those who have played as a big club the constant bids is actually a strategy. You make the manager aggravate the player enough that he requests a transfer and you can then get him cheaper. I'm too impatient in the transfer market to try that though.

When a club bids for your key player eg. 15mil, then change it to 140mil. They will then withdraw.

When they enquire I set it to 140/180mil pounds and they dont do anything. Now when I get a media thing coming in it says that "Milan would have to bid around 95m to prize him away from XXXX" They still come in for stupid bids of 15/20m but I just change it. Its when they have not negotiable offers it gets a bit crap. Also helps heaps if you sign players that are loyal and not ambitious. My whole team is loyal and determined, so hardly anyone wants to leave.

When a club bids for your key player eg. 15mil, then change it to 140mil. They will then withdraw.

When they enquire I set it to 140/180mil pounds and they dont do anything. Now when I get a media thing coming in it says that "Milan would have to bid around 95m to prize him away from XXXX" They still come in for stupid bids of 15/20m but I just change it. Its when they have not negotiable offers it gets a bit crap. Also helps heaps if you sign players that are loyal and not ambitious. My whole team is loyal and determined, so hardly anyone wants to leave.

It used to work so that when you negotiated the fee into something ridiculous then the player wouldn't get angry and the bidding club would bugger off. Sadly, that method is now rendered useless. The players now get ****ed off even if you negotiate the price by a small margin.

What I don't get is why this change was needed. I'd understand it if the transfer system actually worked like it's intended to, but it's far from it. Why was it actually needed to add another annoying feature that will only increase the frustration when another freak scenario occurs and you now have to deal with a squad full of unhappy players.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd actually like it if SI focused their efforts on fixing the obvious problems before carelessly throwing in 'realistic' features to add 'challenge'. Granted, the negotiation trick was a loophole that had to be removed at some point, but with the severely broken transfer system it was obvious that doing that would mess things up even further. Sometimes I seriously get the feeling that the main aim with the newer FM games is to frustrate players as much as possible. Cue the realism vs fun debate when in fact it's neither here nor there. Realism isn't achieved by simply making things difficult. The approach in an ideal world would be to get the basics work flawlessly and then add the controversial features after thoroughly testing these to make sure it won't ruin someones game in an unrealistic way. As of now things seem to be done completely the other way around and that's a bit sad.

Is the player wanting to move based just on reputation as I am sure I read it was somewhere. If it is surely its time for other factors to be considered. On my game Arsenal finished 12th and I got into the champions league a player I have had for 4 years gets bid on by Arsenal. Now they are a great club and have a higher rep than me but surely the player would want a crack at champions league football rather than go to a bigger rep team that had not finished above 6th for the past 4 years? Instead he becomes unsettled dispite sitting on champ league football, a lucrative contract and having me and my team as his favoured club and personel. Something needs to be done about this for FM09.

Is the player wanting to move based just on reputation as I am sure I read it was somewhere. If it is surely its time for other factors to be considered. On my game Arsenal finished 12th and I got into the champions league a player I have had for 4 years gets bid on by Arsenal. Now they are a great club and have a higher rep than me but surely the player would want a crack at champions league football rather than go to a bigger rep team that had not finished above 6th for the past 4 years? Instead he becomes unsettled dispite sitting on champ league football, a lucrative contract and having me and my team as his favoured club and personel. Something needs to be done about this for FM09.

I only get it a few seasons into my game, when my scouts finally start paying off thier wages

I scout for younger players mostly (17-24) and only try to sign players who fill a role i need and have scope for development, i will usually try to obtain free transfers where possible.

so i have a promising dc/dm aquired from an EU club value £90k with a mrc of £220k, his transfer status is Hot Prospect/Unavailable for Transfer. eventually the offers come in relentlessly ... £0 upfront, 10-25% resale value, arrange friendly and because these stupid offers are always rejected he complains

i have tried changing his status to Indespensible & re-negotiating his contract to match, which he gladly accepts but the offers don't change there still £0 + friendly + %resale

imo setting the Unavailable for Transfer should actually mean something, cos at the moment it does nothing.

Instead he becomes unsettled dispite sitting on champ league football, a lucrative contract and having me and my team as his favoured club and personel.

Thats another thing that bugs me. A player has my club as fave club, me as fave person, and some team mates as fave person, yet he STILL gets unhappy when the team that just got relegated made a bid and had it rejected.

isuckatfm - After the season change, 4 of my players [unh] status went away. 2 of the players got sold, 1 of the players left after the contract run out and got signed by a bigger club, and 2 are still unhappy. Which means its almost directly linked to club reputation, and thats ridiculous.!

Obviously I'm happy that the majority of these players are now happy, and have tied them down to 5 year contracts, but the whole debacle at the end of the season cost me results, having these unhappy players playing for me, and me getting frustrated.!

A good example of what really needs to be fixed for the future. If everything is going to rely on reputation, then current status needs to be updated more frequently than once a year, and other factors need to mitigate the final number. A really hot team, over-performing, has the kind of local fame that world-beaters wish they could have, and consequently ambitious players would really have to consider giving up local limelight for the bitter spotlight of world fame. But this isn't the case now, and needs some fixing.

I don't know what stage you are at in the league re the date but if you haven't passed the refresh point of June 19th then your club rep won't have gotten the full boost based on your league position yet. So hopefully when it does your rep will get better than those who finished behind you and players won't get ****y (unless those clubs came down from the Premiership recently).

If you have passed that date then I don't know what to say. It's an issue I've posted about before (in fact my first post on here was a rant about this very thing). It can result in players joining a 'relegated from League A' team instead of a 'promoted to League A team' etc. All it needs is some kind of reference to league position and maybe general club trajectory, or as others have suggested splitting reputation into two parts (Historical and Current).

Current Reputation of Club or Difference between the two clubs reputations (or Manager or anything actually) doesn't seem to make any real differece - I've turned Marine into Englands (world even) Top team, yet certain players become unhappy when the likes of Lyon, Juventus and the Milans bid for them (that I can understand, whilst our Reputations would be on the same level, they are at least in another country), the ones that annoy me are when players become unhappy when the likes of Arsenal and Birmingham (both have been worse than me over the last 10 years, and are mid-table to top six at best teams) or Newcastle and Liverpool (Title rivals for the last 4/5 seasons, who I've beaten to the title) bid for my players. - Akin to Man Utd players becoming unhappy and demanding out when Chelsea bid for them.

I even have players, whilst they don't get the Unhappy tag, they moan to the media that moving to a midtable Premier team would be to good to turn down.

The only thing I can think is that their is either a Long Term Hidden Histrotric Reputation (Marine are none playable at the start of the game, as are the team NepentheZ based his Real London side on) or the players personality is the overriding factor - two of my players over the last 10 seasons have said they had no interest in signing for Newcastle, whilst others will jump at the chance to join a team on its way down to the Championship.

I've also found that once they are unhappy once that's the end of your chances of keeping the player long-term - even if they say they want to stay, 6months a year later they'll start moaning again, or decide they want a new challenge or have achieved all they can at your club.

Oh and NepentheZ - you'll find things will just get worse whilst you are in the Championship, and your best off just trying to get as much money as you can and delay the transfers until the end of the season, whilst hoping your chairman doesn't interfere too much.

This is something that's bugged me during my current save for the last few months so it's good to see it under discussion here.

I think the 'end of season' increase to a club's rep still isn't enough. I've been playing Gundo's challenge in the Czech Republic and I had this situation were my team were top of the league by 10 points going into the winter break and one of my centre backs kicked up a fuss about me rejecting bids from teams in the bottom half. It's as though the 'rep system' still saw my team as a newly promoted side even though we'd spent 4 seasons in the top flight, 2 of those as title contenders. Eventually he left for Slavia Prague - a well known team for sure but that season they were in the relegation zone! Would a player really give up the chance to help a side to a historic first title in favour of joining a relegation scrap? If he was well down the pecking order, maybe but he was an ever-present and club captain!

In a more recent season, another silly situatio I found myself in was this - on the last day of the transfer window, I signed a striker from a mid-table side. my scouts thought he had great potential so I knew I would only be able to hold on to him for a couple of seasons but thought he was worth it. He started the season poorly, not scoring for 10 games, but then hit form running up to the winter break. Offers started to come late in November and he said he wanted to leave! At that point, he had only been at the club for 3 months. :mad: Plus, I bought him for 750k and the offers were in the region of 150k. This kind of thing needs to be sorted out. of course, in the real world on some rare ocassions players leave clubs very soon after joining but there is usually a more compelling reason than the club rejecting an offer from FC Sochaux!

(Btw, I managed to hang on to my striker in the end because he picked up an injury in the last game of the season and was out till October. By the time he was fit again, he had forgotten about the 'bigger' clubs and signed a new 5 year deal! :) He left one year later but at least I got a decent price then. :D)

What annoys is that when I put a player as unavailable they still decide to have the cheek and be twats by making an enquiry.

I believe that the enquiry option shouldn't be allowed when a player is unavailable.

I disagree.

The old "I know he's not for sale, but what would you accept, REALLY?"

Then manager comes back with stupid amount.

Example - Ferguson said Ronaldo isn't for sale, but Man Utd probably would accept £75,000,000 should it be offered.

MMUK - Yea, I'm finding it very hard to keep my players happy now I'm in the Championship, but I'm attracting so many good players, that they're relatively easy to replace.

Archived