Implementing tactics FM08...

I would like to start out by saying that I do not take full credit for these tactics as I have gathered most of the information on this forum, learning from the small bits of tactical theories and tested observations that many have contributed with. I have been dedicated to the split mentality thoery, that started a couple of seasons ago (RoT) which was explained through some enlightening posts from wwfan, which last year evolved into RoO (which was discovered by chance when some user -don't remember his name- was testing a split mentality theory that ranged from 1-7 on the slider). I made these tactics using relatively simple solutions, and have done enough testing to suggest that they are good base tactics to start out with, and how one evolves them from there is up to the user's preferences (for version 8.0.1. beta patch).

I would like to begin with the flat 4-4-2 formation which is relatively easy, basic tactic to set up. My personal preferences would include attacking full-backs, a defensive mid/offensive mid concelation in central midfield, and a strong striker/fast forward set-up in attack. Numbers on the sliders are from 1 (far left) to 20 (far right). Except Team Mentality Slider has 22 notches so let's say that this one ranges from 0 (ultra-defensive) to 21 (all out attack). NOTE: 0 and 21 in the Team Instructions are the only time that Team Mentality overrides Individual Instructions.

Player's Instructions:

Goalkeeper:

Goalkeeper

Center Backs:

Center Back

Full Backs:

Attacking

Normal

Defensive

Defensive Mid:

Normal

Defensive

Wingers:

Attacking

Defensive

Offensive Mid:

World Class

Normal

Defensive

Strong Striker and Fast Forward:

Striker

Forward

Most of the settings are on Team Instructions. I will explain which of the different players I will implement throughout the tactics and eventual changes I make. But as mentioned, these are base set-ups. If you have, for example, a defensive mid that has 20 in long shots why not give him Long Shots(often).

Offensive Formations:

High Pressure: Team Instructions High Pressure. 4-4-2 with long farrows on wingers. This is a tactic with a high d-line and high closing down aiming to break down ultra defensive formations with heavy timewasting. I would use this on home field against lowly opposition from the start, but always keep an eye on the match stats. I will also switch to this tactic during a game if I notice that the opposition is playing ultra-defensive with high timewasting.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(14), Distribution(defender collect).

Center Backs: Mentality(15)

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(16), Crossing From Mixed.

Defensive Mid(normal): Mentality(17)

Wingers(attacking + long farrows): Mentality(18), Crossing From Byline.

Offensive Mid(normal/world class): Mentality(19)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(20)

Play Ball: Play Ball Team Instructions. 4-4-2 short/long farraows on wingers. This is my normal home field tactic. Usually it's good to start out with short farrows on wingers (crossing from mixed), but tweak it to the long farrow (crossing from byline) if need be. Use this tactic if you are strong favorites in one of the cup finals.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(11), Distribution(defender collect).

Center Back: Mentality(12)

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(13), Crossing From Mixed.

Defensive Mid(normal): Mentality(14)

Wingers(attacking + short/long farrows): Mentality(15), Crossing From Mixed(short farrow) or Byline(long farrows).

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(16)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(17)

Offensive Balance: Team Instructions Offensive Balance. 4-4-2 short farrows on wingers. Normally a cautious home field tactic if you are newly promoted f.exs. and are up against top of the league teams. Use this tactic if you are slight favorite in one of the cup finals. Can also be used if you are on out field but in this case tweak the formation to long farrow on wingers crossing from byline, but your opposition must perferably be a division under you at least.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(8), Distibution(mixed).

Center Backs: Mentality(9)

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(10), Crossing From Mixed.

Deffensive Mid(normal): Mentality(11)

Wingers(attacking + short farrows): Mentality(12), Crossing From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(normal): Menatlity(13)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(14)

Defensive Formations:

Defensive Balance: Defensive Balance Team Instructions. 4-4-2 with short farrows on wingers. This is your most attacking out field tactic. Used if you are f.ex. top of the league and you are playing one of the bottem teams. You can use it home if you are f.ex. a team like Norwich playing against a Premier League team. You are slight under-dog in one of the cup finals.

Goalkeepers: Mentality(7), Distribution(quick throw).

Center Backs: Mentality(8)

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(9), Crossing From Mixed.

Defensive Mid(normal): Mentality(10)

Wingers(attacking + short farrows): Mentality(11), Crossing From Mixed.

Offensive(normal): Mentality(12)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(13)

Defensive Counter:Defensive Counter Team Instructions. 4-4-2 short farrow. My normal away from home tactic. Also used if I am strong under-dog in one of the cup finals. I am at home against a team that is two divisions above mine.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(4), Distribution(mixed).

Center Backs: Mentality(5)

Full Backs(normal): Mentality(6), Cross From Deep.

Defensive Mid(normal): Mentality(7)

Wingers(attacking + short farrows): Mentality(8), Cross From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(9)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(10)

Hold Back: Hold Back Team Instructions. 4-4-2 no farrows. My most defensive tactic. Used usually in the last 10-15 minutes of a match. Can be used if you are f.ex. Halifax home against Man U. Rarely used otherwise, mostly only at crucial times.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(1), Distribution(mixed).

Center Backs: Mentality(2), Closing Down(team).

Full Backs(defensive): Mentality(3), Cross from Deep.

Defensive Mid(defensive): Mentality(4)

Wingers(defensive + no farrows): Mentality(5), Cross From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(defensive): Mentality(6)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(7)

They are all quite simple and shouldn't take long to make. Using edit options and saving options make things easier. You have to start to get acquainted with how the AI is playing so then it becomes easy to know which tactic to start with or change to during a match. I might make a challenge at one point in this post explaining what I would do against different opponents. I've tried these tactics from the lowest teams to the biggest. Remember these are base rules when implementing tactics, but the bigger your reputation, and the better the team, the more attacking you start to play. Remember the different tweaks, like if you are playing against a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation it is recomended that you use the Normal or Defensive Full Back, so they are not running too much forward leaving the opposition's wingers to exploit the space left ungarded.

Reading the match machine and the match stats are essential to make sure you are using the right tactic. And some teams will be stronger than the pre-match-odds have indicated so you have to be ready to swich tactic. It's good to wait until 15-30 minutes before changing tactics unless you are seriously under-pressure.

4-2-4 High Pressure Tactics: You have to also tweak the High Pressure Tactic sometimes, and this can be done very simply. Move the Wingers to the Forward Right/Left positons to make the 4-2-4 formation. This is necessary when somehow you seem to be unable to score even though you are using the High Pressure tactic from the start of the match to break down the oppositions high timewasting, ultra-defensive formation. I would first use the 4-2-4 around (earliest) the 60 minute mark and I am either behind or drawing with the opposition, but would perferably wait until the 75-80 minute. Leave tactic Team Instruction as is if you are using it before the last ten minutes of the game, but if you are desparetly looking for a goal in the last ten minutes change Team Instructions: Team Mentality to (21 all out attack), Team Passing to (17), Tempo to (17) and Timewasting to (1).

Team talk and press handling is something I am very conservative with. Mostly it's just "win if we play our best" if we are comfortable favorites at home, and "will cause us problems" if I am strong under-dog away from home. Other than that "no comment". I leave most of the team talk to my Assistant Manager or at least Ask Assistant in the Tactics Screen and adjust from there. Important to get a good Assistant, as is getting other top coaches (read the FAQ by Rashidi1). Assigning them is also highly recomended so to get the most available stars for each category, along with some good training schedules that either is self-made can be easily downloaded (I personally use most of Seasoned Alcoholics training schedules).

Free roles are something I don't use as much as in FM07 and will only apply them on one or max two players, but for sure they must be world class for it to work optimal and restict them to the offensive mid or the fast forward positions. Swapping players positions is something I will for sure try to implement if I can: f.ex. two similar central midfields or strikers, or wingers that kan play on both sides. Get your best players to take corners/free kicks for optimal results, and it is a good idea to make a good corner routine. I personally try Long Shots with free kicks in the defensive tactics to try to get that odd goal.

You can use these ideologies to build other tactical formations. I have tried a few, but not that much recently as I have been working on the flat 4-4-2 formation. Would like to experiment when I get some more time, especially with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Also get some good shortlists. You can either find them in the Good Players Forum or simply create a game for making shortlists exclusively (take over f.ex. Real Madrid with a large data base with you perfered leagues) and then export your shortlist so that you can import them into any other game you decide to play. Remember that there are other factors than just tactics if you want to have total success, and it's good to always upgrade everything as soon as there is room for improvement. Now I'm just hoping that the FM makers don't totally change the match machine in the next patch...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to start out by saying that I do not take full credit for these tactics as I have gathered most of the information on this forum, learning from the small bits of tactical theories and tested observations that many have contributed with. I have been dedicated to the split mentality thoery, that started a couple of seasons ago (RoT) which was explained through some enlightening posts from wwfan, which last year evolved into RoO (which was discovered by chance when some user -don't remember his name- was testing a split mentality theory that ranged from 1-7 on the slider). I made these tactics using relatively simple solutions, and have done enough testing to suggest that they are good base tactics to start out with, and how one evolves them from there is up to the user's preferences (for version 8.0.1. beta patch).

I would like to begin with the flat 4-4-2 formation which is relatively easy, basic tactic to set up. My personal preferences would include attacking full-backs, a defensive mid/offensive mid concelation in central midfield, and a strong striker/fast forward set-up in attack. Numbers on the sliders are from 1 (far left) to 20 (far right). Except Team Mentality Slider has 22 notches so let's say that this one ranges from 0 (ultra-defensive) to 21 (all out attack). NOTE: 0 and 21 in the Team Instructions are the only time that Team Mentality overrides Individual Instructions.

Player's Instructions:

Goalkeeper:

Goalkeeper

Center Backs:

Center Back

Full Backs:

Attacking

Normal

Defensive

Defensive Mid:

Normal

Defensive

Wingers:

Attacking

Defensive

Offensive Mid:

World Class

Normal

Defensive

Strong Striker and Fast Forward:

Striker

Forward

Most of the settings are on Team Instructions. I will explain which of the different players I will implement throughout the tactics and eventual changes I make. But as mentioned, these are base set-ups. If you have, for example, a defensive mid that has 20 in long shots why not give him Long Shots(often).

Offensive Formations:

High Pressure: Team Instructions High Pressure. 4-4-2 with long farrows on wingers. This is a tactic with a high d-line and high closing down aiming to break down ultra defensive formations with heavy timewasting. I would use this on home field against lowly opposition from the start, but always keep an eye on the match stats. I will also switch to this tactic during a game if I notice that the opposition is playing ultra-defensive with high timewasting.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(14), Distribution(defender collect).

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(16), Crossing From Mixed.

Wingers(attacking + long farrows): Mentality(18), Crossing From Byline.

Offensive Mid(normal/world class): Mentality(19)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(20)

Play Ball: Play Ball Team Instructions. 4-4-2 short/long farraows on wingers. This is my normal home field tactic. Usually it's good to start out with short farrows on wingers (crossing from mixed), but tweak it to the long farrow (crossing from byline) if need be. Use this tactic if you are strong favorites in one of the cup finals.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(11), Distribution(defender collect).

Center Back: Mentality(12)

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(13), Crossing From Mixed.

Wingers(attacking + short/long farrows): Mentality(15), Crossing From Mixed(short farrow) or Byline(long farrows).

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(16)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(17)

Offensive Balance: Team Instructions Offensive Balance. 4-4-2 short farrows on wingers. Normally a cautious home field tactic if you are newly promoted f.exs. and are up against top of the league teams. Use this tactic if you are slight favorite in one of the cup finals. Can also be used if you are on out field but in this case tweak the formation to long farrow on wingers crossing from byline, but your opposition must perferably be a division under you at least.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(8), Distibution(mixed).

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(10), Crossing From Mixed.

Deffensive Mid(normal): Mentality(11)

Wingers(attacking + short farrows): Mentality(12), Crossing From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(normal): Menatlity(13)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(14)

Defensive Formations:

Defensive Balance: Defensive Balance Team Instructions. 4-4-2 with short farrows on wingers. This is your most attacking out field tactic. Used if you are f.ex. top of the league and you are playing one of the bottem teams. You can use it home if you are f.ex. a team like Norwich playing against a Premier League team. You are slight under-dog in one of the cup finals.

Goalkeepers: Mentality(7), Distribution(quick throw).

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(9), Crossing From Mixed.

Wingers(attacking + short farrows): Mentality(11), Crossing From Mixed.

Offensive(normal): Mentality(12)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(13)

Defensive Counter:Defensive Counter Team Instructions. 4-4-2 short farrow. My normal away from home tactic. Also used if I am strong under-dog in one of the cup finals. I am at home against a team that is two divisions above mine.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(4), Distribution(mixed).

Full Backs(normal): Mentality(6), Cross From Deep.

Wingers(attacking + short farrows): Mentality(8), Cross From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(9)

Striker/Forward: Mentality(10)

Hold Back: Hold Back Team Instructions. 4-4-2 no farrows. My most defensive tactic. Used usually in the last 10-15 minutes of a match. Can be used if you are f.ex. Halifax home against Man U. Rarely used otherwise, mostly only at crucial times.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(1), Distribution(mixed).

Center Backs: Mentality(2), Closing Down(team).

Full Backs(defensive): Mentality(3), Cross from Deep.

Wingers(defensive + no farrows): Mentality(5), Cross From Mixed.

Striker/Forward: Mentality(7)

They are all quite simple and shouldn't take long to make. Using edit options and saving options make things easier. You have to start to get acquainted with how the AI is playing so then it becomes easy to know which tactic to start with or change to during a match. I might make a challenge at one point in this post explaining what I would do against different opponents. I've tried these tactics from the lowest teams to the biggest. Remember these are base rules when implementing tactics, but the bigger your reputation, and the better the team, the more attacking you start to play. Remember the different tweaks, like if you are playing against a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation it is recomended that you use the Normal or Defensive Full Back, so they are not running too much forward leaving the opposition's wingers to exploit the space left ungarded.

Reading the match machine and the match stats are essential to make sure you are using the right tactic. And some teams will be stronger than the pre-match-odds have indicated so you have to be ready to swich tactic. It's good to wait until 15-30 minutes before changing tactics unless you are seriously under-pressure.

4-2-4 High Pressure Tactics: You have to also tweak the High Pressure Tactic sometimes, and this can be done very simply. Move the Wingers to the Forward Right/Left positons to make the 4-2-4 formation. This is necessary when somehow you seem to be unable to score even though you are using the High Pressure tactic from the start of the match to break down the oppositions high timewasting, ultra-defensive formation. I would first use the 4-2-4 around (earliest) the 60 minute mark and I am either behind or drawing with the opposition, but would perferably wait until the 75-80 minute. Leave tactic Team Instruction as is if you are using it before the last ten minutes of the game, but if you are desparetly looking for a goal in the last ten minutes change Team Instructions: Team Mentality to (21 all out attack), Team Passing to (17), Tempo to (17) and Timewasting to (1).

Team talk and press handling is something I am very conservative with. Mostly it's just "win if we play our best" if we are comfortable favorites at home, and "will cause us problems" if I am strong under-dog away from home. Other than that "no comment". I leave most of the team talk to my Assistant Manager or at least Ask Assistant in the Tactics Screen and adjust from there. Important to get a good Assistant, as is getting other top coaches (read the FAQ by Rashidi1). Assigning them is also highly recomended so to get the most available stars for each category, along with some good training schedules that either is self-made can be easily downloaded (I personally use most of Seasoned Alcoholics training schedules).

Free roles are something I don't use as much as in FM07 and will only apply them on one or max two players, but for sure they must be world class for it to work optimal and restict them to the offensive mid or the fast forward positions. Swapping players positions is something I will for sure try to implement if I can: f.ex. two similar central midfields or strikers, or wingers that kan play on both sides. Get your best players to take corners/free kicks for optimal results, and it is a good idea to make a good corner routine. I personally try Long Shots with free kicks in the defensive tactics to try to get that odd goal.

You can use these ideologies to build other tactical formations. I have tried a few, but not that much recently as I have been working on the flat 4-4-2 formation. Would like to experiment when I get some more time, especially with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Also get some good shortlists. You can either find them in the Good Players Forum or simply create a game for making shortlists exclusively (take over f.ex. Real Madrid with a large data base with you perfered leagues) and then export your shortlist so that you can import them into any other game you decide to play. Remember that there are other factors than just tactics if you want to have total success, and it's good to always upgrade everything as soon as there is room for improvement. Now I'm just hoping that the FM makers don't totally change the match machine in the next patch...

Nice post- good to see someone who has put work in to tactics rather than just posting a downlod link.

I do wonder whether there will need to be a rethink when the full patch comes out because a lot of the tactics specialists are waiting to see the new match engine before going to press.

Well done anyway.

I have uploaded the tactics for those who would like to try them out. At the same time I have been testing out some other formations which seem to be feasible. A 4-2-3-1 that can replace the High Pressure tactic, some other 4-5-1 in various formations to compensate for the other Mentality frameworks and a 5-4-1 "catenaccio" that can replace the Hold Back tactic. There are some defensive problems with the players in the attacking midfield and attacking wing/forward positions as they are never behind the ball when defending. I've been trying to work around this and have some solutions I'm going to work on up to the weekend...

Korzy: My intention in these tactics is to make them play as a unit as much as possible. I could make them more advanced, but these are basic frameworks that have split mentalities designed to combat AI strategies in various degrees. I don't know how you got the idea that global settings don't work, because they are working in FM08 better than any of the previous additions. Since I'm using these split mentality frameworks the Center Backs don't have the same mentality as the Strikers. If you look at the players individual mentalities above you will notice that they do vary but I still keep them in the team's general "mindset"...

I could notice now that you're using the RoO theorem, combined with your own input.

about passing - how is it going to work when your DCs playing mixed passing? you dont want them to hoof the ball do you? same for closing down.. you wouldn't like your CBs to get dragged over? ( it does happen with high CD, right ? )

I've been working on a 4-2-3-1 that offers an alternative strategy than the 4-4-2 High Pressure tactic. I've found that it can be a very effective tactic that breaks down ultra-defensive, high time-wasting tactics, but I wouldn't recomend using it away from home or against too strong opponents. The three Attacking midfielders are rarely behind the ball when your team is defending, so the tactic in itself doesn't offer so much cover at the back and that is why you must pressure the opponents high up the pitch. Sadly I haven't been able to make other mentality frameworks successful with this formation, because when you are under pressure you need more men behind the ball (other tactics offer more defensive "outlooks" and that is what I am looking into at the moment).

Team Formation

Team Instructions

Players Instructions:

Goalkeeper: Mentality(14). Distribution (defender collect). <look at the top of post for further descriptions>

Full Backs (attacking): Mentality(16)

Defensive Mid (normal): Mentality(17). Note: both central midfielders (R.Garcia and T.Motta in this case).

Wingers (side-arrows): Mentality(18). Note: wingers with Forward Runs(mixed) and Crossing From Byline.

Attacking Mid(normal/world-class): Mentality(19)

Striker: Mentality(20)

I had to take away the normal routine where I had wingers on forward runs. It actually made the whole tactic work as I had intended it: hold the ball and pass it around a la Barca and create quality chances. Once I'm finished with the other formations/mentality-frameworks I will upload them all together...

Im just about to start my 2nd season with liverpool . I have set up all of these tactics and will try them out throughout the season.

No longer can i get away with one tactic a season on this as i noticed last season with one I created it works until about February then things start going real bad. I'll test these out depending on opponents and their tactics and let you know what happens.

I'll be using the patch aswell.

Loversleaper:

I'm trying to create an home underdog tactic, but it seemsmy 4-4-1-1 won't work since I think my passing\tempo\width is not linked correctly.

I'm playing first notch of normal width as I wan't to control midfield and play ball through middle, tempo is either last notch of slow \ first notch of normal and passing is set first notch of mixed for fullbacks ( mixed fwr ttb ), mixed for wingers, short 1 touch for AMC, direct first notch for MCs ( 1 MC HUB ). suggestions?

I'm playing a tall striker 13\14 acc\pace.

Korzy: if you are asking how I would set-up a tactic for a situation where I am underdog at home, then you should look at how I built the Offensive Balance tactic explained in the first post in this thread.

Patch observations:

Well I might be premature in my statement but I feel there hasn't been radical changes in the patch. It has more positive aspects than negative, which has complemented these tactics even more. Especially if you have a very good side (world-class) then you can easily play more attacking football away from home. In the 4-2-3-1 High Pressure tactic I had taken away Forward Runs from the wingers, but it seems like you can add them again. So hopefully I will soon be able to complete an alternative tactic pack to the 4-4-2.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loversleaper:

I have uploaded the tactics for those who would like to try them out. At the same time I have been testing out some other formations which seem to be feasible. A 4-2-3-1 that can replace the High Pressure tactic, some other 4-5-1 in various formations to compensate for the other Mentality frameworks and a 5-4-1 "catenaccio" that can replace the Hold Back tactic. There are some defensive problems with the players in the attacking midfield and attacking wing/forward positions as they are never behind the ball when defending. I've been trying to work around this and have some solutions I'm going to work on up to the weekend... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey loversleaper,

i can't seem to find it? can u provide the link? or even better email to me: jcole26@gmail.com

kindly appreciate it, i've been getting the sack with leeds united. i need some divine tactics for fm08.

I've been trying the set of 4-4-2 tactics(before and after the patch). Works very well with all the teams I've tested it with - very impressed.

However - I have some quality wingers at the moment with Valencia (Vicente, Silva, Joaquin)- and although they play very well within the tactic and Joaquin assists like crazy.....they very rarely have a shot on goal(if at all). i noticed this with the other clubs I tried this with too. Is there a way of getting the wingers more invloved in the goals. It's good to have goals from all over the pitch and the likes of Silva and Joaquin are well capable of scoring them.

Frag icon14.gif

calv: The tactics have been uploaded to FMDownloads.net under the name http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]opup('Loversleaper-tacticset-FM08.zip', '')]Loversleaper-tacticset-FM08

Frag: You could try giving them Long Shots often (you must make sure that they have high stats or it could backfire on your team), or try to get them more involved with set-pieces. I'm quite content with how my wingers are doing and haven't noticed that they aren't scoring enough. They should score 3-8 goals per season as is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FMDownloads.net </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks! will give it a try, i can't stand losing anymore!

Just wanted to thank you for all the work.

Used your ideas to create a set of tactics for a 4-3-3 (DMC,2*MC, AML and AMR) and its working superbly for my Blue Square Premier side).

I would suggest for anyone making tactics sets for lower league teams to use mainly rare long shots though, wasting too good opportunities otherwise.

Very fun to play now. *bow*

I've finally managed to get things relatively well running with some alternative tactics to the 4-4-2. They involve tactics that have one central striker in attack with supporting wings/forwards. Some of the tactics are more of the "result grinding" methodology, with a couple of attacking formations and a "catenaccio" that really shuts up the defense.

Lone Striker Formations:

4-2-3-1 High Pressure: Formation , Team Instructions

Use only on home field against weak opposition or change to this tactic if you notice your opponent switches to a ultra-defensive/high time-wasting formation. Designed specifically to break-down these types of formations and mostly recomended that you have a world-class team. If your opponents are stronger than you've anticipated you will see that you control possession but equal in shots on goal, circa, in match stats. In this case switch down to the 4-3-3 Play Ball.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(14). Distibution(defender collect). <further instructions please look at the first post in this thread>

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(16). Cross From Mixed.

Wingers(attacking + s-arrows): Mentality(18). Cross From Byline.

Offensive Mid(normal/world-class): Mentality(19)

Striker: Mentality(20)

4-3-3 Play Ball: Formation , Team Instructions

Your normal home field tactic. If you are relegation candidate or generally a weaker side I would recomend you move the winger/forwards back so you create a 4-1-4-1 tactic. Tweak it so you either have short farrows or long farrows on wingers (short farrows = wingers cross from mixed and long farrows = wingers cross from byline). Good idea to find your team's overall strength in conjuction with your opponent's overall strength, a choose accordingly (practice makes perfect).

Goalkeeper: Mentality(11). Distibution(defender collect).

Center Backs: Mentality(12)

Fullbacks(attacking): Mentality(13). Cross From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(15)

Wingers(attacking + short f-arrow): Mentality(16). Cross From Byline.

Striker: Mentality(17)

4-1-4-1 Offensive Balance: Formation , Team Instructions

A result grinder for home ground. Not the prettiest football, but can be effective if you are one of the bottem-half teams up against world-class opposition. Can be used if you are gigantic favorite away from home and can be tweaked so the wingers have long f-arrows (or more daring: move the wingers forward to the winger/forward <+short f-arrow> position making the 4-3-3).

Goalkeeper: Mentality(8). Distribution(mixed).

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(10). Cross From Mixed.

Defensive Mid(normal): Mentality(11)

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(12)

Wingers(attacking + short f-arrows): Mentality(13). Cross From Mixed.

Striker: Mentality(14)

4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking: Formation , Team Instructions

Your most attacking formation away from home. Only use if you are comfortable favorites against weak opposition (relegation candidates) and you are one of the top teams. You have to really notice (match stats) if the tactic is working, as some teams are stronger than anticipated (for example Bolton from the EPL has very strong players compared to pre-match odds) so switch down to the 4-1-4-1 Defensive Counter. This tactic can also be used after your team has brought themselves infront by two goals on home field and you want to grind in the result (second half).

Goalkeeper: Mentality(7). Distribution(quick throw).

Full Backs(attacking): Mentality(9). Cross From Mixed.

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(11)

Wingers(attacking + short f-arrows): Mentality(12). Cross From Mixed.

Striker: Mentality(13)

4-1-4-1 Defensive Counter: Formation , Team Instructions

Your normal away from home tactic. Result grinder.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(4). Distibution(mixed).

Full Backs(normal): Mentality(6). Cross From Deep.

Offensive Mid(normal): Mentality(8)

Wingers(attacking + short f-arrows): Mentality(9). Cross From Mixed.

Striker: Mentality(10)

5-4-1 Catanaccio: Formation , Team Instructions

You need desparetly a result. Rarely used, only at crucial times. Use this tactic with the Target Man option. I've found the best way to play this tactic is that you use a Fast Forward with Target Man Supply: Run On To Ball. But I've left it untouched so the user can choose, as you might not always have a Fast Forward on hand.

Goalkeeper: Mentality(1). Distibution(mixed).

Center Backs: Mentality(2). Closing Down(team).

Full Backs(defensive): Mentality(3). Cross From Deep.

Wingers(defensive + no arrows): Mentality(5). Cross From Mixed.

Striker: Mentality(7). Take away Hold Up On Ball.

Not always as effective as the 4-4-2, but many things can be taken into consideration, one should try to become (as best possible) a master tactician using the right tactics and the mentioned tweaks. Knowing which tactic one should use is the key, and watching the match on full (especially the more attacking formations) can be quite pleasing to the eye of the audience...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will2061:

hello mate, interesting work.

any chance of an upload anywhere else as fmdownloads seems to have been taken down.

thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I have also noticed FM Downloads seems to be down.

I would really appreciate if you could upload these elsewhere since I am definitely too lazy to implement all these instructions "manually". Looks like you've done a good job, I look forward to testing these.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terriers4ever:

Yes please could you upload them somewhere else. Don't misunderstand me I realise i will have to edit and tweak these tactics to suit my players but it will take a long time to enter all these manually. Thank You. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesnt really take long, takes about 20 minutes and it is well worth it for the success it brings. Loversleaper is a great contributer to these forums, plus you would have more success if you made them with a formation to suit your squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrazT:

Nice post- good to see someone who has put work in to tactics rather than just posting a downlod link. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

I've just got through another season and found that you can switch through all of the different tactics and achieve almost perfect results. I've been using mostly the 4-4-2 tactics in the league and the LoneStriker tactics in the cups. Especially I recomend playing the LoneStriker tactics in the Champions League. Also sometimes when the prematch-report suggests playing with an anchor-man in midfield, it really makes all the difference (especially when you are strong under-dog).

I was thinking of doing a test game where I will explain what I do in the different games (press-talk, team-talk, tactics and tweaks), but I need a good team to test on and am largely undecided. If anyone has any suggestions please be free to give me some good ideas and if any of you are interrested you can see if these ideologies can be translated into your game. This would give me a good oppertunity to show how I would use the press and commenting opposition danger-men. I don't use them that much, but in some instances you can really unbalance certain players so they don't perform that well against you (it sometimes backfires and you motivate him instead). But it's all about knowing the teams and individual players...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you use short passing with lower placed teams as well?

Or do you tweak passing according to your team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, personally, think that it depends on my teams overall ability compared to my opponents overall ability. If I am stronger than my opponent, no matter which level, I find that short passing can easily be implemented with success on home field. I have pretty much the same ideology with the rest of the sliders, and have them in different degrees so that I can counter pretty much any match situation and my opponents overall ability...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you do anything special for set pieceses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really have any preferences, as I usually try to get the best out of the current team I am managing. I left them pretty basic so that the eventual user can set up their own. I would recomend that:

Right Back: stay back at all times.

Left Back: back if needed.

One of your Center Backs should challenge Goalkeeper.

Defensive Mid: close down opposition corner, disrupt wall and stay back if needed.

Offensive Mid: outside area.

One of your wings: short option.

A tall person (Striker or Center Back): near post flick on.

A striker on the far post.

Right now I'm in the middle of a ridiculous bet: I have to win the Danish Super Liga with Brondby, and they have a lousy squad (and horrible coaches), no money and no more wage budget. I have to do it live (for proof reasons) because no one here believes it is possible and these guys are demanding all my time (we're on a short eating break right now). Half way through the season : SuperLiga 07-08

I've actually managed to use all of the different tactics. I could email them to you late tonight (after I've finished the league and won my bet, of course). And if you like I could give you some hints on how to use them (if it's necessary). Thanks...

Could you please email the other tactics to me as well? When, or if, you have the time, that is. I have your 442, but would like to try the others?

Impressive work with Brøndby, by the way!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taunton:

Could you please email the other tactics to me as well? When, or if, you have the time, that is. I have your 442, but would like to try the others?

Impressive work with Brøndby, by the way! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taunton: Seeing as Loversleaper is busy winning the Danish league icon_biggrin.gif can you upload his 442 tactic set please?

Loversleaper: yes that would be great if you could email them to me, and any hints would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif I've sent you an email so that you have my real email address.

Thank you loversleaper, you have made FM08 playable again. I spent about an hour on Sunday afternoon building the 6 tactics from your original post (for the 442 system). I have used them for just over haplf a season with Notts Forest and have the following record:

PL36-W24-D8-L4-GF85-GA44

Most of the draws and 2 of the losses have come from using the wrong tactic to start off with. I have also found that I concede fewer goals in I put both CB and both FB on to east tackling, they seem to jump in less, and block the opposition player instead. I have also dropped the DL a bit on the 2 most offensive tactics, I kept getting caught on the break.

Once again, many thanks icon_cool.gif

We finished playing around 4:30 in the morning and I haven't really had a good day at work as I kept wanting to fall asleep. Anyway, this is how it all ended up:

League Table

Spring Fixtures

Transfers

Disaster struck as just before the second half of the season kicks off I had my star Center Back (and Captain) Guagua injured until the last three games of the season, which explains why my defense didn't perform as well as the first part of the season. Also at the beggining of the first half of the season I mostly played the LoneStriker tactics to grind in the results, but after I bought Stancu (*recomended buy Forward) I wanted to be more attacking so I switched to the 4-4-2. But still used the LoneStriker tactics against the big teams away from home.

There were also some small mistakes I had made but in my defense I got little carried away at times due to the fact that everyone in the room kept pushing for me to play attacking football, but I should have played much more safe to have been optimal result wise. In the cup final (where I lost 4-1 to FC Copenhagen) I should have used the LoneStriker (#3_4-1-4-1 Balance and tweaked to the 4-3-3 formation as I was slight favorite), but intead I played #2_Play Ball with long farrows. I controlled the match (and shots) but was punished on the counter and then the more I pushed the more I was punished. You have to be wise when choosing which tactic one uses, and I wasn't in this case and it won't happen again (no matter what the general oppinion of the guys next to me is).

I had also to fight with the spring wheather in northern Europe, plus injuries and bans, so I can only be satisfied with the overall result. Had many new signings to get played into the team (hardly any of them speak the language still) and choosing tactics was hard as I didn't really know my opponents that well and I have a low reputation, so most of the teams where attacking me. But once I get respect then it's easier to choose tactics because I know most of the teams I be going up against will be playing defensively against me.

Also I should have played the #1_High Pressure tactics when I was at home against Randers FC (0-0) and FC Midtjylland (0-0), I was being safe so I chose the #2_4-4-2 Play Ball tactic (which almost cost me in the end). It's very important to notice if your opponents are playing ultra-defensive/high timewasting, and I should have used it (High Pressure tactics) a couple of other times but I have the lowest reputation and wasn't to sure about my teams overall strength (first time in 08 to play the Danish League so I am very unfamiliar with the teams and players).

Oldsoldier: To use the High Pressure tactics you need to take the following into account: Are you much stronger than your opponent (pre-match odds), or have you noticed that they are timewasting heavily from the start of the match? Do you have good defenders perferable with good pace (essential for pressing high up the pitch). Usually this tactic is reserved for when you have a world-class side, but remember the exceptions.

So, the game with Bronby was (apparently) so exciting for some of the fellows who lost the bet, that they want a new bet that I can't do it again (double or nothing) winning the leagu and get into the champions league. They are talking about some sort of "second season blues" but there is no way I'm going to start tonight (I'm going to bed early) so tomorrow (fridag evening/night) we're going to do a marathon and with the players I have comming in I know I'm going to walk the league (at least).

I will email the tactic, as arranged, and if there is someone how wants to upload them and stick them in this post please feel free. Thanks...

Hey EA_mon, I don't know how happy the big bad mods are going to take you displaying email addresses in posts. I will send you the tactics nonetheless, and hope you find some success. I was hoping that if there was someone I could email the tactic-set could upload them and stick a link to the site.

The people who do download these tactics really should study them so they get a good idea what and why I have implemented the tactics the way I do, because it will make it much easier for me to explain if need be. If one is familiar with the different tactics it is easier to know which one to use or for me to explain which one I would use and why. Thanks...

First of all when I'm thinking of signing players I have to know what my overall game-plan is in conjunction with my own expectations. If I have a top team it is advised to sign few real class players and only bring in future stars that you play into the team over a longer period so not to disrupt the team. If I'm taking over other teams outside of the absolute top teams I will do things differently. I will sign a lot of young players and have them playing together for a couple of seasons so that when they start peaking I will have a class side challenging for honours.

Until then I have to go through the moulding periods and do the best I can and try to keep club expectations down. In the Good Team & Player forum has many players that I have found that really do the business (check out the high potential shortlist). Just remeber that it is perferable that you have players in their prime ages to gain consistancy, as it is not always enough just to have exciting players. My team is never far off from what my assistant thinks is the best team, and this can make all the difference...

First of all you have to determine what part of you team needs strengthening. Of course I send out scouts, but I will really study the player and never buy for the sake of buying. You are not always strengthening your team as some players take ages before they are played into your team. I usually use the atribute section to determine which player to chose (whether it be scouted or player list) and have preferences on which atributes they need for the given position. I, generally, look at determination and pace as good atributes which will weigh heavily on my choice of which player I will buy...

Thanks for uploading them EA_mon. But I noticed that your upload is missing the #1_4-2-3-1_High_Pressure tactic. I was wondering if you didn't recieve it, please ask me to email you again, but I just checked and the folder I sent you and it does contain the missing tactic. Please check this when you have time as I think it is a good tactic to have...

Archived