Implementing tactics FM08...

I'm soon going to be finished with another set of tactics. I was thinking of the way I had imagined AC Milan play combined with one of Mourinho's defensive tactics and maybe try to put a 3-4-3 formation in there. I was thinking of calling them NonWinger Formations. They look very strong but you need some special players in key positions. I'm still trying to see if I need to play through the center with Player Maker option.

Taunton: just for future reference I would play tactic#5_Counter Attacking against world-class opposition away from home, even if I were comfortable favorites. You always have to be wary with other teams that are also competing in europe. I'm sure your match stats would have looked better if you had, although you did get a good result.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

tactic#5_Counter Attacking

Sorry for the mistake but it was supposed to read tactic#5_Counter Defensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understand. I think the most difficult is to know what tactic to use at home. I experience that I am vulnerable for counter attacks if I am to attacking, but maybe it will be better next season when teams will really go defensive against me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by korzy:

Am I mistaken or you're using same passing, Closing-down and mentality for everyone on the pitch? It seems very odd for me as I can't get how is it possible to play a DC same as a FC by mentality, closing down and passing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Understand. I think the most difficult is to know what tactic to use at home. I experience that I am vulnerable for counter attacks if I am to attacking, but maybe it will be better next season when teams will really go defensive against me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tauton: Home against Barca, Valencia, Sevilla and At. Madrid I would play tactic#2_Play Ball and maybe against one of the other high flying teams that do have talent. Only tweak to the short f-arrow version if you are slight underdog. Most of the other teams you can play tact#1_High Pressure against, but remember to be patient sometimes because it's really after the first 30 minutes in a game that things will be clarer in the match stats. You might have a hard time playing High Pressure tactics at the start of the season until your team has moulded. Usually when you are playing the right tactic at home you will be dominating in pretty much all the stats. Remember also when you are using Tactic#1_High Pressure and you score first, to change down to tactic#2_Play Ball and tweak it so you are in a little more holding stance (short f-arrow + normal full back). You have to be more tactical as your reputation is still low and other managers think they have a chance against an unexperienced manager. But once you have the reputation of winning many things and hardly ever loosing your opponents will start to fear you so then you can attack them a lot more and for longer periods. Second season will look much better and by that time you should be intergrated into the club (you might not be spanish citizen in the game) and your players will know how to play the tactics. Bare in mind if you change out a lot of your players then you will experience those hardships again...

In most of the formations the MC have TB often og LS mixed. Of my MCs one have 20 LS and 17Pass. The other have 17LS and 15 pass. Would it be to much to have both LS and TB set to often or should I Take TB back to mixed if I set LS up to often? I play in the coca cola league one and is a relegation candidate at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In most of the formations the MC have TB often og LS mixed. Of my MCs one have 20 LS and 17Pass. The other have 17LS and 15 pass. Would it be to much to have both LS and TB set to often or should I Take TB back to mixed if I set LS up to often? I play in the coca cola league one and is a relegation candidate at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed that on my games the central midfields shoot a lot on goal with the settings on mixed. But why not try to give Long Shots often (leave the player still on Try Through Balls often) to the player with the 20 stat. It would be nice to know what the outcome is, so I was hoping you can at one point give me his goal record plus how many games he played so I can compare them with some of my stats, as I haven't really tried the Long Shot option. Thanks...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tauton: Home against Barca, Valencia, Sevilla and At. Madrid I would play tactic#2_Play Ball and maybe against one of the other high flying teams that do have talent. Only tweak to the short f-arrow version if you are slight underdog. Most of the other teams you can play tact#1_High Pressure against, but remember to be patient sometimes because it's really after the first 30 minutes in a game that things will be clarer in the match stats. You might have a hard time playing High Pressure tactics at the start of the season until your team has moulded. Usually when you are playing the right tactic at home you will be dominating in pretty much all the stats. Remember also when you are using Tactic#1_High Pressure and you score first, to change down to tactic#2_Play Ball and tweak it so you are in a little more holding stance (short f-arrow + normal full back). You have to be more tactical as your reputation is still low and other managers think they have a chance against an unexperienced manager. But once you have the reputation of winning many things and hardly ever loosing your opponents will start to fear you so then you can attack them a lot more and for longer periods. Second season will look much better and by that time you should be intergrated into the club (you might not be spanish citizen in the game) and your players will know how to play the tactics. Bare in mind if you change out a lot of your players then you will experience those hardships again... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is so spot on. Haven't thought about it like that before, but it is what I am seeing in my game.

Thanks for all the help.

Getting harder and harder in my game. In the middle of january and 10 games without a win in the preimer league. Producing chances, but not scoring. Mainly down to the two best strikers being injured.

Of those 10 games I've not played the top 4 teams. It's been a mixture of teams from position 8-20. Main concern is their ability to score goals on very few chances. Last game I played my team lost 2-0. Shots in game 7/2 for opponent and 12/7 for my team. This was away from home. Possession about 50/50 in most games, sometimes in between 40-50 for my team. The away game before I lost 3-0 and opponent had 4 shots at goal. Frustrating to loose close games by so many goals.

This has left my squad stripped of morale.

Positives must be that the team managaes to create chances, and manages to keep possession for periods of each game.

I've mostly used the 4-1-4-1 counter def away from home because that formation creates most chances and possession.

Loversleaper, I read through all of your literature late last evening and I am beginning to understand the inner logics of your system. I have another question. Is there a set procedure for playing when I have a player sent off?

I played 4-4-2 counter defensive, withdrawing a striker and just carrying on regardless. I got a 1-1 away draw at Leeds United, after playing all of the second half a man down.

Similarly, is there a set procedure when playing against ten men? I particularly appreciate the manner in which you have set down in writing and explained how the systems work. It is interesting reading. KUTGW.

Impreator77: maybe if your team is in that form then maybe I would advise you to play tactic#3_Balance home and #6_Catenaccio away for a while and see if you can't get a result somewhere and then start praised the players a little for a good result. Maybe also you can make a friendly in midweek home against some very weak team and try to get them out of low moral. I think you might be struggling a little with team talk and the fact that you have lost your two best attackers. I don't know if you could send me your game and I could take a look? I always take a Watford challenge at one point and it's soon that time and I will know more what you are going through...

oescus: I do exactly what you did there when I play away from home and I've had a player sent off. On home field either tactic#3_Balance or tactic#4_Counter attacking depending on the overall strength of my opponent. I always remove the Fast Forward so that I still have the Striker who holds up on ball and move him into the middle spot of the attack. If I'm chasing a goal then I always go for tactic#3_Balance and implement long F-arrows on the winger + crossing from byline...

I'll try a bit more. Good idea to arrange a friendly. Got plenty of time to friendlies after Chelsea killed me in the FA Cup icon_smile.gif Just leaguegames from now til end of season.

I use nr 3 at home. I hope I can test it for a longer period when my best strikers are back from injury, as the team creates chances. Away I've tried Catenaccio, but usually it ends in disaster. I've got one good result away from using that formation.

If the strikers can hit topform I hope to make some progress, based on the teams ability to create chances.

Imperator77: my normal approach to the game in your situation would be that at against most of the bottem half of the league teams I would mostly use tactic#2_Play Ball. I would tweak the wing/forwards postions so they make the 4-1-4-1 tactic and most likely try it with long f-arrows on the wingers. Against some of the absolute bottem teams play either #2_4-3-3 Playball or #2_4-4-2 Play ball and leave as is. You might actually be playing too defensively for the talent you may have in your team. I also would recomend tactic#5_Counter Defensive away from home for the most part...

I just wanted to add that even if I had just been promoted, if I felt that my team does have some talent I would only play tactic#3_Balance at home against the absolute top teams that are competing in Europe and mostly play #2_Play Ball because I'm going for the points. I like to try always to play as attacking as possible but still keep things reasonable so I don't throw the game. I would only go down to the absolute most defensive idoelogies when the more attacking ones don't work. And the more success one has the more you will have to attack gradually...

Finished the season with Real

League table

Despite two idiotic losses I am happy. Conceded few goals and got a good goal difference.

Was in control the whole season.

Very good statistic at home, no loss all season.

Looking forward to season two now, where I am going for European glory!

Taunton: it looks like you are wise when you choose what tactics to use and I'm sure it will only get better with time. I would suggest that next season that you get a player like Aguero (At. Madrid AMC/Forward) and you try out the #1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure at home when you are comfortable favorites and sometimes change between the two #1_High Pressure formations (Aguero can also play in midfield and when you do give him the World-Class Offensive Mid instructions on page one). Then you also have the posibilty to change down to the 4-1-4-1 tactics when you need to away from home (or at home!) which makes you tighter and the game tighter. Because I have found that when you are comfortable favorite away from home (which will now be most of the time) and you are meeting one of the better teams in your league that using #4_4-4-2 Counter Attacking can be a little risky at times. That's why I will usually play #4_4-1-4-1 Counter attacking against those types of opponents and try to overpower them in midfield and change to the #4_4-4-2 Counter Attacking if I feel that is the right thing to do (I'm of course looking at the match machine extended highlights to see how things are going and decide from there). This offers a lot of options and would recomend you do this from time to time (especially in the Champions league away from home). You might (next season) also start having to use tactic#3_Balance with long f-arrows on winger crossing from byline away from home at times (usually best to wait until you have a world class reputation). I would also suggest that one of your super forward types that you give hime a free role (for example Robinho when you use him on the left side of attack) from time to time. I've been doing this (not neccessarily all the time) and find it incredibly rewarding at times...

Appreciate all your advice and think it is kind of you to take the time to give it. I certainly will try your ideas out in the next season.

Now I will continue my Hibs game to see how the tactics will work with them. After playing with Real I have learned more and will know more how to implement.

KUTGW!

Loversleaper. As promised, here are my results and observations after fifteen league games.

P15 W6 D6 L3 GF21 GA14 GD+7 Pts24 Pos8th.

I am into the 2nd season with Hull City. I play strictly according to "Hoyle"! I have brought in the following players. Graeme Smith a GK. Brian McLean, a CD, David van Zanten, a FB, Anderson Silva, a DMC and have Cameron Jerome on loan.

I began with the 4-4-2 tactics but found that I was getting draws despite dominating matches. Morale began to drop. I reverted to the 4-1-4-1 tactics and have had three consecutive wins. I think that the results speak for themselves. I would add only this. Using the tactics sets alone will not guarantee automatic success. They require that you integrate both the tactics and the players in your team to arrive at the optimum formation and tactics for your team.

I am thinking about altering one of your sets to a 4-1-3-2 [wide] formation. Would they work by only altering the player's positions accordingly or would it fail because of that? I am going to try it out using my reserves, if you will allow me to "mess about" with your sterling efforts.

oescus: I personally feel that you have played too few games overall to start making big changes. You have probably new players and they need to be played into the team (first 15-20 matches is always hard because your team won't be following team instructions to the letter because they have to get used to the system first). I usually start out with the LoneStriker tactics with a team like Hull and when I pick up form start switching between the tacticsets. You can change them how you feel, I just made them the way I did after looking at the match machine and followed the movements of the players so both tactic sets offer a varity of options. The hard part is getting the right tactic for the match (I still can get it wrong from time to time but practice makes perfect), and looking at Taunton's stats suggest that he got them pretty much spot on. Give it time is the best advice I can give you...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Btw if all the discussion here work post patch 8.0.1 as the match engine work very differently after that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rickooko: The game makers only adjust several issues inside the match machine, but the concept behind it is generally the same. That's why these tactics also work (even better I might add) after the patch. Nothing in this post is outdated and can easy use all the tweaks and formations with the same effect as intended...

so far I've had mixed results with tehse tactic but I can see the potential in them and I was wondering what should I do with a struggling AFC Wimbledon sie in the blue square premier?

So far I've just attack counter at home and the catenaccio away (not yet used though)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loversleaper:

Torshov: I wouldn't personally use those tactics unless there is a purpose with it. They are not designed as a style of play, but more to do with what my intentions are in the current match. I have given descriptions of how to use the different tactics on page 1... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok I've seen that now but still dont get what you mean?

What I am struggling with is defending but I should take each match and think about what is realistic to get from it and then implent the correct tactic?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I am struggling with is defending but I should take each match and think about what is realistic to get from it and then implent the correct tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Torshov, just because one is struggling in defense, bringing one's whole team deep into your own half is not always the solution as you will be inviting pressure. Attack can be a form of defending because if you have the ball more than your opponents they will be less dangerous. You don't want to be under-pressure unless it's the only chance you've got, so you need to have generally a good idea on your team's strengths in conjunction with your opponent's overall strength.

I know you are not the only one that struggles with this. I'm trying to find some time in my schedule to post a challenge where I could show how I would implement the different tactics and formations (also did this also for 07). Maybe include, as simple as I can, how I set the game up and what I do so people can see how easy and nontime-consumming one can be. So, in the mean time, if there any specific games you are struggling with, all I need to know is: teams + formations, who is at home, place in the league (maybe include prediction) and pre-match odds. Then I could give a general idea how one should play that specific game...

I'm with van_zanten, bumping this thread because more people should see it.

Loversleaper's system of tactics saved FM08 for me. I was seriously considering putting it aside and firing up my FM07, where I could make tactics that worked. The system of tactics approach (even if based on RoW etc) works in FM08, and this system in particular pays off for me. I've brought MK Dons to League 1 and am holding my own, without much in the way of money either.

I still make mistakes, so I hope Loversleaper and other practitioners keep answering in this thread. I have found that I can not accurately determine how aggressive to be in choosing my starting tactic based on the oddsmakers, because if the team I am suppose to beat by the odds has a better reputation, then I get creamed if I am too bold (e.g., 4-4-2 play ball at home). Indeed, I do much better if I am cautious at all times, even going to the 4-1-4-1 tac system away.

And can I just say that the 5-4-1 catenacio tac is freaking amazing?! I have not only iced a number of games, but snatched an extra goal many times.

Thanks Loversleaper!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And can I just say that the 5-4-1 catenacio tac is freaking amazing?! I have not only iced a number of games, but snatched an extra goal many times.

Thanks Loversleaper! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I also have experienced, especially with weaker teams.

I can not praise this templates enough. They are so good, and you feel like a real manager because you have to think carefully about what tactic to use, and at the same time it saves you for a lot of work because you don't have to tinker your b***s off.

With lower teams I recommend being patient, and play defensive tactics. Even if you go behind, be patient. Your team will start to grind out results after a while.

I thought I would share what I have been trying out with very good success and I was hoping some of you try this out. I have been implementing Free Roles on the wingers and in both of the tactics sets. Expecially in the attacking frameworks, and generally to start out with when I feel I can grab the win (which is most of the time). Take them away later in the game if everything is going after plan (sometimes you control the match from start to finish so it's not always neccessary), and remove the f-arrows in some of the Defensive frameworks to keep your team in a better 'holding' shape to hold on to results. You should notice when you are implementing Free Roles on the wings (but remember they must have at least some talent for it to work 100% effective) that you will be more dangerous and should score more. I have been trying this out in the English Coca-Cola Championship with Watford and I'm impressed with what I've seen in the match-machine. Enjoy and thanks for the positive feedback. Merry Christmas all...

I also took a lot from your opening post and the frameworks you posted, and it's going well so far. Very good defensively which is Atlético's weakest area, but despite my frankly awesome attacking players we're not scoring many. Down to the game, not the setup though, it happens no matter what I try.

Conte: it looks to me is you haven't totally grasped how to play those games because I wouldn't have had those results. Sometimes you can't play the same tactic throughout the game so let's take that game against Levante, for example. In that game I would have started out with tactic#4_4-4-2 Counter Attacking and given the wingers Free Roles. At one point when I'm in front by a goal I would have switched down to tactic#5_4-4-2 Counter Defensive and kept free roles on wingers untill I'm comfortably in front. If the opponent equalises I will change up to Tactic#4 again. If the opponent scored first while playing tactic#4, I would change to tactic#3_4-4-2 Balance with long f-arrows on wingers (+free roles) crossing from byline. I know I wouldn't loose that game if I played it right.

The other game against APOEL if I was at home (I know a little about the Atl.Madrid side) I would have played #1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure with Aquero in the Attacking Mid fielder postion and have free roles on all three of the attacking Midfielder positions. I would have definatly have torn them appart. Away I would play a little like the way I explained how I would play against Levante, maybe more attacking if I need the score.

You can't always play the same and that's why I have built different frameworks so I'm ready to change my style of play depending on what happens. I hope this can help and it would make things easier in the future if you gave a little more detailing on how you implemented tactics in your current game so I would have a clearer picture of what is going on. Thanks...

Patrick27: Those two teams are more of the struggling type of teams (if it's first season). I would play tactics#5_4-1-4-1 Counter Defensive for the most part away from home untill I get a really good squad together and still play 4-4-2 at home unless you are up against the best teams in your league. Be a little cautious at the start, especially if you have brought in new players. You (team reputation and your current reputation in mind) will experience most teams comming at you, so you will need to defend...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loversleaper:

Conte: it looks to me is you haven't totally grasped how to play those games because I wouldn't have had those results. Sometimes you can't play the same tactic throughout the game so let's take that game against Levante, for example. In that game I would have started out with tactic#4_4-4-2 Counter Attacking and given the wingers Free Roles. At one point when I'm in front by a goal I would have switched down to tactic#5_4-4-2 Counter Defensive and kept free roles on wingers untill I'm comfortably in front. If the opponent equalises I will change up to Tactic#4 again. If the opponent scored first while playing tactic#4, I would change to tactic#3_4-4-2 Balance with long f-arrows on wingers (+free roles) crossing from byline. I know I wouldn't loose that game if I played it right.

The other game against APOEL if I was at home (I know a little about the Atl.Madrid side) I would have played #1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure with Aquero in the Attacking Mid fielder postion and have free roles on all three of the attacking Midfielder positions. I would have definatly have torn them appart. Away I would play a little like the way I explained how I would play against Levante, maybe more attacking if I need the score.

You can't always play the same and that's why I have built different frameworks so I'm ready to change my style of play depending on what happens. I hope this can help and it would make things easier in the future if you gave a little more detailing on how you implemented tactics in your current game so I would have a clearer picture of what is going on. Thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't remember exactly but I'll try...

I was planning to go with the 4th tactic, defensive balance until kick-off, when I saw they'd set up with a 4-4-2, but with 2 DMs. So I switched to the 2nd tactic (attacking play ball) and looked good, went 1-0 up. I kept this tactic but shortened the wingers' farrows and took off the free roles.

They then scored two goals from two attacks, with us still dominating, which was a little frustrating. So I switched to the 4-4-2 high pressure (I've altered it slightly to a 4-4-1-1) and as you can see we controlled the match but didn't create a good percentage of clear cut chances.

Conte: I, personally will never use tactic #1 or #2 away from home, as you can see it most likely won't work. The most attacking away formation is normally tactic#4, but I still will revert to tactic#3_Balance with long farrows if I need but I will see what is going on in the match machine first. Late in the match if things aren't going as planned I will change to the 4-2-4 All Out Attack but that would be first around the 75th minute. But usually when the odds are close or I'm meeting a decent team away I most likely will use tactic#5, as I consider this my usual away tactic.

When you are a top team (like Atl.Madrid) and you are meeting another European contender, you might experience that you are comfortable favorites away from home, especially when your team is in great result form. In this case use tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking (the old defensive balance) and change down to tactic#5 when things are going your way. You can at times revert to tactic#3_4-1-4-1 Balance and either give them long f-arrows or move the wingers forward to create the 4-3-3 formation. Remember to give the wingers free roles + crossing from byline...

My defence is leaking goals off late in the same fashion. The other teams midfielder plays a through ball to their striker. My defended runs forward, then starts to run back when the striker has the ball. As a result the other team creating lots of one on ones situations.

Any ideas?

Patrick27: Since you are using #5_4-1-4-1 Counter Defense away, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I think you might have this problem more at home if you are using 4-4-2 tactics because I was just wondering if you shouldn't also play the LoneStriker tactics also at home. I have a feeling that both those teams (that you are using) are not strong enough most of the time to play 4-4-2 tactics. Try playing tactic#2_4-3-3 Playball at home and tweak the wingers so you make the 4-1-4-1 tactic and decide if you are going to play with long or short f-arrows. You need a holding midfielder most of the time and would at least play this way for 20-30 matches and see how it goes.

Late in the game (after the 60th minute or at half time against the big teams) I would consider using the #6_5-4-1 Catenaccio away from home to grind in results so you have a better chance of stopping late goals when the opposition throws everything forward. On home field you have to tweak the Full Backs so they are not running forward the last 15 minutes. Shorten any long f-arrows as well. If you lead by two goals at half time and you are at home swtich down to tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter attacking. I don't know much about your players so this is the best advice I can give. Currently I am playing as Watford and in season two I am in the Premiership so I'm fighting to hold on too. I'm only using the LoneStriker tactics and it's going OK to say the least (I'm closing the shop whenever I can)...

Take notes of what Loversleaper says. Use the lone striker formations and be cautious the first season. Then when your team has gelled you can be more attacking.

I have played with several teams now and think these tactics are great.

I am no longer frustrated about the new patch.

Archived