Implementing tactics FM08...

Guest PhoenixFR

Hello Loversleaper,

used your tactics for a season and a half now and it isn't working as I hoped it would. Don't really know what's wrong.

I use your counter defensive tactic (4-1-4-1 defensive) at away matches and the playball tactic (4-3-3)at home. The opponents always score, doesn't matter what I do.

I got a pretty decent team that has to be capable to end tophalf or higher in the league, but in the first season I ended up 12th. Now in the second season I'm standing 18th. Opponents scored 10 goals, I got none. Got two new players, so didn't change much about the starting eleven.

Got some advise?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick27: I'm halfway through the season and I have hardly been using free roles, and a lot of the time I've had to take away the f-arrows on the wingers (especially away from home). I'm currently 12th in the league as I have been drawing a lot of games. But I feel now that my opponents are taking me a little more seriously so I have brief moments where I can start implementing attacking ideologies (free roles, f-arrows, ect...). I'm hoping that my players start to mature (average age is 21) and my reputation get's better so I can handle the squad (in other words : start to really obey the instructions). I'm doing ok but you have to really watch what you say in the press and team talkas I feel it can have a big impact on what happens with the players (a little too much influence I think at times). Be very conservative and try not to pressure them much, praise them as much as you can. If you have some players that play for example 3-5 games and don't play over 6 then you have to go out to the press and say he is underperforming, then you will notice them pick up their ratings. Use a lot of 'for the fans' or 'pressure is off'.

PhoenixFR: If I were a top team I would use for the most part the 4-4-2 tactics. Reserve more the LoneStriker tactics for special occasions (for example you are away to a strong team and you are strong favorites to win the match then use tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking, also away from home playing out in Europe). You should also have some good wingers that you can give free roles to. It also sounds if you have to be more critical in team talks when you are underperforming. Players that are under performing have to be criticized in the press.

Plus when you are considered a top half team you will encounter that when you are in good form you will have to play High Pressure tactics at home at times (comfortable favorites against some of the bottem half teams as I think this might be one of your problems getting results from those types of matches). I would also advise you to get some versatile players so you can switch between tactic#1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure tactics and the #1_4-4-2 High Pressure during the matches. Away from home when in good result form you will have to play tactic#4_Counter Attacking against some of the bottem half teams when you are comfortable/sure fire favorites (I've explained this a little further up the page so I suggest you take a look and get back to me if there is somethings that you have difficulties with how and when to change between the tactics depending on what happens in the current match). I don't think it is possible to be 100% effective if you only use those two tactics that you have mentioned...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tried this tactic and not impressed. Used in two different seasons on two different teams. Didnt have many successes although both times had quite decent squads. Thanks for sharing anyway - good luck with your seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all it is not one tactic. Second, one has to familiarise oneself on how to play the different games. I know many people don't implement them they way I had intended, as the tactics have degrees of attacking or defending and then it's up to the user to find out which tactic works best for the current game. Also during the match one has to be aware of what tactics to change to, because things change (mostly in coordination with the scoreline).

Also choosing tactic formations. They have different purposes as some formations are naturally offensive and others naturally defensive. Also many don't bother with training or player interactions to get better performances (little things that can make a difference). People don't have time to read the post so they have a clearer idea how to tackle different situations that occur (no team plays the same way) or don't bother with the small tweaks (like taking away forward runs on the full backs for example when they are up against a 4-3-3 formation or late in the game). I've left the formations pretty basic so that people can tweak them more to suit their team or when to use what free role where. Also target man supply options (I think I've also forgotten to mention this earlier) if you have for example Rooney/Tevez in attack that you can give the 'to feet' option even though you haven't clicked the 'use target man' option. There are many ways to deal with issues, but maybe they are a little advanced for most users.

These tactics have basic ideologies behind them and are just how I learned to play the game with an imput of my own philosophy. You don't necessarily have to play this way, but I do recomend one builds an attacking formation, a balanced formation and a defensive formation. You can go all-out-attack or ultra-defensive during matches when you need to by simply using the team mentality slider (very necessary at times). Then figure out when one has to implement the different formations/tactics when playing different AI formations. But you can use a lot in this thread to make your own tactics and if you use some of the mentioned tweaks they can easily be implemented in other tactics with success. This game requires a little bit of thought as an 'automated ideology' will definatly back-fire...

Lovesleeper using your 4-1-4-1 tactics with Sunderland and doing quite well, I'm confident that they will stay up with the recent form. I was 7th for a while. Still early days and my best striker has just got injured. At this stage should I give some players free roles and which players would you give the free role to. Wingers? Thanks again.

Martins21: it is good that you use the LoneStriker tactics with Sunderland to start out with. If you are going to use free roles remember that they must be good players. I use them on my wingers when I can and/or my fast-forward. Use them if you think you should win the match or to make you formation a little more attacking. Take them away (and f-arrows) when you need to hold a more stable formation. You can also give it to your striker/forward but then take away hold up on ball (I use this more as a defensive measure but it is recomended that he is fast/good dribbler). Definatly when using the 4-3-3 or the 4-2-3-1 I would have them on my wingers. But test them out (it's easy to change, just make sure you see a little on what's going on in the match, at least extended high lights)...

Guest PhoenixFR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loversleaper:

PhoenixFR: If I were a top team I would use for the most part the 4-4-2 tactics. Reserve more the LoneStriker tactics for special occasions (for example you are away to a strong team and you are strong favorites to win the match then use tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking, also away from home playing out in Europe). You should also have some good wingers that you can give free roles to. It also sounds if you have to be more critical in team talks when you are underperforming. Players that are under performing have to be criticized in the press.

Plus when you are considered a top half team you will encounter that when you are in good form you will have to play High Pressure tactics at home at times (comfortable favorites against some of the bottem half teams as I think this might be one of your problems getting results from those types of matches). I would also advise you to get some versatile players so you can switch between tactic#1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure tactics and the #1_4-4-2 High Pressure during the matches. Away from home when in good result form you will have to play tactic#4_Counter Attacking against some of the bottem half teams when you are comfortable/sure fire favorites (I've explained this a little further up the page so I suggest you take a look and get back to me if there is somethings that you have difficulties with how and when to change between the tactics depending on what happens in the current match). I don't think it is possible to be 100% effective if you only use those two tactics that you have mentioned... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your advise. Have been performing some what better, although I got three big losses (5-1, 6-2 and 6-3), when I was away from home. Started with 4-4-2 (Counter Attack), got 1-0 behind and switched to 4-4-2 (Balance) width long f-arrows. Is that a good approach? Cause as I'm typing this message I got 2-0 behind after applying the above. I dominate each game but keep gettings goals against me. Usually the opponent need two chances and get two goals, where I have ten shots and no goals.

What would you do when you get a goal against you in a homematch? Switch back to a 4-4-2 counter attack or keep playing High pressure to make sure the eqalizer is made?

Happy new year everybody. Hope everyone has come safely into 2008 and will experience a prosperous year...

PhoenixFR: I think you haven't quite understood the concept behind choosing tactics. I would suggest that you take a little time and read through the whole post as I think the most has been covered. If there are anythings you haven't understood thoroughly please highlight them and we can take a look at it together. The easiest way to ask for help choosing tactics is giving me an idea of what team you are, who you are facing, and what the fre-match odds are (comfortable/slight favorite or slight/comfortable underdog)...

Jablome: I noticed that when Try Through Balls was on mixed/often on the Full Backs that they attempted a diaginal through ball that was intercepted by one of the opposition midfielders most of the time which resulted in a dangerous counter-attack against my team. It might work with world-class full backs but I haven't played so much with those type of players yet to say that they can be implemented. I made these assumptions from my experiences when observing the match machine over a longer period. But I wouldn't mind it if I were proven wrong as I like to give my team as many options as possible.

crazyrap465: I included mixed forward runs on the GK so that he runs out a kicks the ball away when the opposition passes the ball over my defense. No forward runs resultet in the GK staying in his place allowing opposition strikers to collect those balls. This actually helped with this matter...

Thank you. One other thought:

I always notice that when the AI plays any variation of a 433 (3 forwards, 1f and 2 wings, etc.) that it gives my team fits. Seems almost as if I should be backing off the normal tactic and going for a more defensive alignment, but I have never quite gotten it consistently correct.

Would you pick a particular tactic to play v. 433 setups and/or would you make any specific adjustments?

I can't believe I have only just found this thread.

This is exactly how I like to play the game. Although I don't like to create my own tactics I do like using sets where at least I can have some input and if I can understand the tactic may be able to tweak it.

I look forward to using this with my Peterborough team who have just been promoted to League One.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would you pick a particular tactic to play v. 433 setups and/or would you make any specific adjustments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jablome: I think I have mentioned this earlier somewhere in this thread. Always when playing against formations that have pushed up wingers I would take away Forward Runs on the Full Backs. If I thought I was stronger than my opponent and should have a good chance against them I would implement Mixed Forward Runs, against stronger opponents Rarely Forward Runs on the Full Backs (I also use this as a tweak to stabalise the Defense later on in the game as well regardless of opponents formations). You will suffer against these type of formations if your Full Backs are leaving their zone often as the wingers will have time and space to get to the byline causing havoc in your defense. Watch out also for other Long F-arrow formations that the AI can come up with during some of the matches.

RedBlueEagle: I hope you have had some time to read through the post so you get a good idea how to generally use these tactic/formations, and please take a lot of the tweaks mentioned seriously as a lot of times it is the small things that can make a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you make any tweaks for wet or muddy pitches? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing that I don't do is use the #1_High Pressure tactics even though I am super favorite to win the game at home (although you can use the 4-2-4_All-Out-Attack late in the game still). High closing down and short passing doesn't work that well in this type of weather. I will play tactic#2_Play Ball (with all the attacking tweaks) which will turn the game into a little bit of a messy affair (illustrates pretty much how it is in real life), but it is usually enough to win the game. You can easily use the other formations/tactics as is. Also I have the 'to feet' option ticked in the 'target man supply' even though I haven't ticked the 'use target man' option.

In windy conditions also use the 'to feet' option (or in general if you have small players up front, for example Rooney/Tevez). I've also noticed when you switch between the 4-4-2 tactics and the LoneStriker tactics that they aren't synchronised in terms of players' positioning, I would move them (and save) so one can switch between them easier without moving half the team around everytime one switches tactic because it is a big advantage to do this during some of the games (as for example the tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking is stronger defensively than the tactic#4_4-4-2 Counter Attacking even though they have the same mentality balance). What I like about your question is that it shows that you have read through the post and have understood it as your question is one of the last things that has not been addressed yet icon14.gif...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lovesleeper what should I do when I'm playing a counter defense 4-1-4-1 tactic away from home and getting outplayed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patrick27: The only thing is there is to do is play the #6_5-4-1 Catenaccio. You have to do this if you are up against top teams away from home as a potential bottem team with low manager rating. If you are getting outplayed by opponents that are slight favorite agaisnt you and you are using tactic#5_4-1-4-1 Counter Defensive then there is a problem somewhere else (coaches, training, ect...). Maybe if you are using free roles you might have to take them away and also the short f-arrows on the wingers to have a more holding formation shape (I do this often when I play with bottem half teams). Maybe also try rarely forward runs on full backs...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(I do this often when I play with bottem half teams). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(I do this often when I play as a bottem half team). Just so it isn't misunderstood...

Hi everyone I'm posting here as it seems to be a fairly active and helpful forum. I've tried applying these tactics to my Newcastle side to no success, no matter what I seem to do I lose and I'm really starting to go off this version of the game. If anyone has any ideas on how to play against premier league teams when using Newcastle please post as I am losing faith in my beloved Footy manager!

Daveshotton: I wouldn't mind helping out, but I would like to ask you if you didn't have some time to read the post. If people just download the tactics (without understanding how they work) and don't apply the tweaks and other methods to deal with different scenarios, they will struggle. The most has already been covered, so if there are some issues that you have problems understanding please highlight them and we can look at them together. Thanks.

Daveshotton, If you have been using Loversleaper's tactics, may I suggest the following?

Go back to his original posting. I think you might find it around November 19th last. If you have access to a printer, print out the whole thirteen pages and read them through. It will be well worth it, believe me, I've done it and still read them over.

If you follow closely his system you will start to have some success. It is mainly due to his tactics and help that I have, yet again, began to try and make my own tactics set. I found that the best part about Loversleaper's tactics is this. Even though you have the tactics to hand you still need to watch and learn what is going on and alter things accordingly. It is how I have learned enough to have a little confidence in my own efforts.

I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck.

Loversleaper, I won't pre-empt my tactics post about revealing my progress with mine own system. However, I do have two queries.

1. Again, thanks to you, I have used the ultra-defensive and all out attack positions. Both with good results [beginners luck, what!] The only information I had about them, was, that SI knew what they where for but would not tell. So I left well alone. [One of the mods posts, I seem to remember.]

I used them because I have not got a SUS type of defence or a last gasp attack tactic. Is it possible to adapt your SUS and all out attack using my player instructions or would it all end up as a big "**** up"?

2. Is using the No.1 and No.22 clicks for the purpose that I did just a short term answer or is that the whole purpose of the said positions 1 and 22? Thereby saving having to make additional tactics? Kind regards.

Oescus: I think you always can mix things around a bit, but just keep things relatively in the same 'mindset'. If you start to see how the match stats and players stats are rating during the match-machine you will have a clearer idea if what you are trying to implement is working or not. For me, it is a question of practice and then one starts to notice the patterns accuring. I don't spend that much time setting up games or getting shortlists, training, ect... as I have them always stored away (also when I make additions later on), so I have more time to play matches.

I can't answer for sure if a user can get away with only using ultra-defensive or all-out-attack mentalities, but I do know this: you can attack too much or defend too much which can give some problems. Attacking away from home or defending at home isn't advisable in general. I think they are more designed for late tactical adjustments to hold on or push for a goal. It might work to some extent during the friendlies but as soon as the season starts I think you will have difficulties if you are starting games with the mentioned mentalities.

Loversleaper. Sorry, I think that I have misled you. When I asked about using the ultra defensive and all out attack positions, I didn't mean for all of a match.

What I should have said was. Are they there specifically just for use at the end of a match [10-15 minutes], thereby saving players having to make SUS and chase a goal type tactics?

Even I am not daft enough to try and use them for all a match. I read your post reply and decided to see what would happen if I went ulta defensive for the last ten minutes. The score at the time was 2-2. I ended up winning 5-3, albeit in a friendly.

Lovesleeper finished my first season with Sunderland. Took your advise and used your 4-1-4-1 tactics. My home form really kept me up. I didn't have grear success with the counter defense tactic. However it was probably my team.

Now that I finished season one I was thinking about using the 4-4-2 tactics. Would this be a good idea or not?

Largely the same team except 1 or 2 players

Thanks in advance.

I've been using these tactics in League One with Peterborough. We got promoted last year and were predicted to finish 20th. I used the Lone Striker sets initially but have 3 very good and quick strikers and a crap DM so started using the 4-4-2 tactics.

I'm top of the league but have found that I am not using the home tactics and am having to use #4 or #5 at home. I am also finding #6 is not stopping late comebacks. Should I use the Lone Striker #6?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sstreet:

I couldn't find any notes in this thread about accommodating poor weather conditions in this tac system. Is it just a matter of stepping down the defensive ladder? What do I try in a gale away against a team I should beat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was mentioned just a few posts ago. Basically don't use #1 for muddy pitches and don't worry about gales as the ball is usually played on the ground anyway.

REVELATION - As per my last post I was struggling with this tactic set and even the most defensive tactic didn't seem to be enough away from home. Even though I say struggling I was still in a playoff position in League 1 despite being favourites to go down. Jan 1st and everything changed. Now teams are playing very defensively against me and I can thrash them with the home balanced at home (long arrows) and away with the CA def or even CA Att.

This tactic set does work. It might be worth creating another tactic for very defensive expect to lose but don't want to play 5 at the back!

BTW I am playing the LoneStriker set as the 442 set saw me losing too many times before Jan 1st. Who knows now though?

As of now I've been testing a variety of teams but only for a season or two to see how the tactics were reacting at different levels, so my manager reputation has been generally low. So, for the first time I've just completed a third season with a Chelsea game I had stored away. I've have a good squad (haven't changed out that much) and my reputation has been continental all season. I've noticed that when your reputation goes up it effects what tactics to use. I've had to play either tactic#3_4-4-2 Balance or tactic#3_4-1-4-1 Balance (and tweaked it to the 4-3-3 formation) away from home a lot of the time. I hardly played any form of counter-attacking all season (only against the other world-class teams and used tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking against some of the other european contenders) away and used the tactic#1_4-4-2 High Pressure and switching over to the tactic#1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure during games with good effect. Used the tactic#2_Playball (4-4-2 if you know you are stronger and 4-3-3 if you are not so sure about strengths of opposition squads, and one must be realistic as squads over time also get stronger) in any of the cup finals.

RedBlueEagle: you should be using tactic#2_Play Ball at home most of the time (especially if your team are laying in the top half of the league). I have designed a tactic#6_4-4-2 Hold Back that doesn't have 5 at the back but it isn't as strong defensively as the "catenaccio". It's only meant to be used late in the game and you have a strong squad for your league. I think you made the right choise of what formation to use (relegation candidate in mind) and if you can see these things through the match machine it is a huge advantage. Just remember things are a gradual progress and the better and bigger everything gets, the more attacking you will have to go. You are over-performing so you are on the right track. I personally think you might have to use the mentioned tweaks (at the right time) a lot more during your matches to get the last percentage out of your team...

Patrick27: that's what managing is all about. You have to give your game plan a little bit of thought, but it doesn't mean it's too late to make changes. Even if you struggle to start with you might make the right changes, both tactic-wise and formation-wise, and still do well in the season as late good runs can make all the difference. Longer up the page in the Chelsea game I was playing I had only lost 2 League games in the first two seasons (I didn't win the fist season by one point to an unbeatable United), but lost 3 games early on in the third season. I had to adjust but still won the league (I was playing too defensively to start with but picked up on it through the match stats/match machine and moved one tactic up in away matches and playing as offensively as possible at home).

Notice what is going on in the match machine and after some time you will start to see some patterns emerging, and this is one of the keys of choosing how to tackle situations. I personally always start out with a chosen team for testing reasons and use only one or two leagues. I only use these type of games to quickly get through matches to see strengths of teams and tactics and they don't take that much time as I won't use ages like I do with my more favorite teams/games. These games are easy to throw away after you have a general idea how your team could react...

Patrick27: I was just thinking of your Sunderland game and I'm not sure your current players will be that much better than last season if you haven't changed that much. You need quality players and I would really make an effort in finding these type of players. There are young cheap players that after a season or two could change your club into a team that could be fighting for some of the top positions in the EPL.

Tactic-wise I would recomend that you still use for the most part tactic#5_4-1-4-1 Counter Defensive away from home. You should be doing quite well with this tactic if you are not favorite to win away, but I don't know your record. There might be small adjustments that need to be implemented to make your away form better, for example your 'target man supply'. I notice if my striker is winning headers or not, or in the match machine what happens when or how he receives the ball. You might have to at times change up to tactic#4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking if the match stats don't look right around half time and you are trailing the match, but generally if you are controlling the game I wouldn't advise one you to switch around until the 60th minute and then would go for tactic#3_4-1-4-1 Balance and tweak it to the 4-3-3 formation with free roles on wingers + crossing from byline. Change back as soon you equalise or if you don't go for the 4-2-4_All Out Attack in the last 10-15 minutes.

At home I would start experimenting with the 4-4-2 tactics against some of the weaker opponents in the EPL and see how it goes. It might take them a little time to adjust, but players can easily get used to different formations. Try it as a transition period, and I would advise that you have players that can play different positions so that you can switch between the tactic sets without having to use your subs. I mostly use my subs late in a game as tactic adjustments and keep one sub so that I have the option of going 'all out attack' or 'catenaccio' if need be...

Thanks for the advice Lovesleeper. However I started using the 4-4-2 set of tactics. I bought some new players. David, Guilherme, Ratinho, and I now find myself in 4th after 12 games. Most impressive result so far was beating liverpool 4-1 at Anfield using your #5 Counter Defense 4-4-2 tactic. I think that my teamtalks have been an important factor in the winning streak. Here are some screenshots of my results sa far.

41yy4.th.jpg]4-1 Liverpool[/url]

Patrick27: well, it looks like your team is strong enough to play 4-4-2. If you quickly get talented players then you can easily go more attacking. It's trail and error and as you can see it is hard for me sometimes to determine squads (for example I have never tried Sunderland and don't know what players people in general bring into their squads). The tactics work for different levels and purposes so it about finding out which one could work for you. I'm always very conservative when using teamtalks so I don't unbalance some of my important players and try to beat them on the field, but this is probably one of the areas I could personally make some progress in. Nice result...

Loversleaper. I said that I would post the results of my formation and tactics after fifteen league games. Here they are.

Hull City, no players brought in. Playing strictly according to "Hoyle".

P16 W4 D6 L6 Pos 17th. My home and away formation is 4-4-2 wide diamond. My home tactic is. Mentality 13, CF 13, PS 7, TM 7, WD 10, CD 13, TW 7, DL 13 and TKL 10. My away tactic mirrors the home one but with counter attack on.

I started off with the default player instructions. I won my first three league games but began to struggle after that, resulting in only one win in the next thirteen games.

I altered things around in both the team and player instructions but ended up finding that it was just trial and error guesswork on how to proceed. I found that in the end I found that I was almost copying parts of your tactics into my own. I don't want to do that.

So, that's where I am at, back to square one. i am thinking of going back to using your tactics but that only defeats the object. From what sparse information that I have given, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I could do screenshots, it would be so much easier. Help from anywhere is most welcome.

Oescus: I would personally have the sliders more positioned in the 15-6 range. That would mean that in the attacking tactic Mnt(15) CF(15) Tmp(6) Pss(6) Wdt(15) CD(15) TW(6) DL(15) and then opposite instructions for the defensive tactic. I feel that those two tactic instructions you explained look too similar to really make the effect you are looking for. You need to be a little more extreme when using the sliders or your tactics will fall into the 'normal' ideology, which in my oppinion will result in being too defensive at home and too attacking away from home. 'Normal' (or balanced) tactics are more used for either playing more defensive at home or more attacking against weaker opponents away from home, so it is good to have one tactic with all the sliders closer to the middle (10-11) and then decide if you are going to play with counter attacking or not. There are no 'magical' combinations on the sliders, only general directions and it's about finding out what works for you.

I wouldn't be too woried about implementing other people's way of doing things into tactics, because that is how I got here in the first place. These tactics have their roots in other threads that I have learned from: a cobination of wwfan, Abramovic, Cleon, Rashidi1 (FAQ*extremely important read*), and use Season Alcholics training regimes, a shortlist found in the Good Team & Player forum called High Potential, and to some extent wolfsong's guide on team talks (+ credit to some of the others that I have forgotten the names of). For me there is a right way of doing things and a wrong way...

Thanks very muchly, Loversleaper. This morning, I looked up TT&F 08 Development. In there I found wwfan's guide to the making of a set of about six tactics. I made up a counter attacking, attacking, possession and balanced set.

I took the bull by the horns and have done just what you have suggested. I used severe slider positions. I have just won three consecutive games by using the attacking tactic. However, I realise that I can't just use that one. Indeed, my next game vs Wolves away, is, at first glance suggesting that I should use the counter attacking tactic.

If anyone is interested, I shall post my progress again after thirty five league games. I shall also have another try at screenshots.

I know how to get them onto Imageshack. My problems arise when I am asked to choose one of the three or four url's. I don't know which to choose or how the screenshots get to the forum. nor do I know how I get them to be in the right place when I am posting text to accompany them. Thanks for your time and assistance, as always, kind regards.

Loversleaper. Here is my update after thirty five league matches using my own tactics.

P35 W12 D10 L13 Pos 15th. I brought in six players in the transfer window. They were:

Craig Bryson AMC

Marius Nicolae ST

Kevin Phillips ST

Anderson Silva DMC

Ibrahim Tall RCD and

Rowan Vine ST

I have some doubts over Rowan Vine. Allowing for the new players and my picking the wrong tactics, I feel that it has gone fairly well. My main problem is trusting the tactics and what to do if they are not working as I feel they should.

For instance. What method or starting point do you use when deciding where to put the slider position. eg. You want your passing on short. How do you decide which of the six or seven clicks {positions] is the correct one. Likewise for all the other sliders. It is still mainly guesswork for me.

I have got around the passing by using click #1. I seem to remember that #1 is supposed to be one touch passing as is also #2 and 3. Then, I think #4 through #7 is short. Likewise #18 through #20 is very long passing. Am I correct?

For next season I may use either your tactics set or wwfan's. I seem to be spending far too much time sorting out my tactics rather than actually playing the game.

Just to complete the season, in case anyone is interested, I shall post my final league position and my overall views as to whether i feel it is best to use tactics sush as yours or persevere until I have made my own. Kind regards.

I was wondering if people have discovered relatively how the game works. I have found that your team obeys or disobeys instructions depending on certain situations. Your reputation is also a factor in this, so before your team actually plays like you want them to (in other words: obeying instructions) you have to bring discipline into your squad. The further up your reputation and discipline stats go the easier time you will have getting your team to perform well because they will following tactical instructions to the letter. If you notice a player underperforming it is usually because of these mentioned issues so you have to go to the press with disappointing remarks about the player and then you will notice his performances really rise. Another thing that causes them to disobey instructions is team talk (I personally feel they effect too much compared to reality). Getting your team to respect you is essential in making your tactics work like you had intended as a team with 'lack of discipline' won't work in the long run...

ardemski: if you read through the post you will get a better idea which tactic sets could work best for you. But remember it is not tactics alone as you need to familirise yourself with the important tweaks that follow with the tactics.

oescus: when you are building your own tactics I would suggest that you use formations as part of your overall tactical outlook in a given game. You might be naturally too offensive or defensive with your chosen formation and would study how the formations work on the pitch. If you do decide to use my tactics then I would suggest you really go into details about them and figure out why I have positioned the sliders the way I did, because they are not just 'randomly' placed. I keep some sliders in the same 'mindset' and place other sliders opposite to create the following scenarios: attacking, inbetween and defensive. They don't need to be as stale as I have implemented and you can break them a little, but they have to be in the same general direction...

Here is my final league position, as gained by using my own tactics.

P46 W14 D14 L18 pts56 Pos16th. Not too impressive. I can put two defeats down to applying wrong tactics at the start of the games and also changing during the matches as I thought. However, winning those matches would only have put me up two places in the league.

Cons. In using a "tailor made" tactics set, there is not the satisfaction of it being all your own work.

In using your own tactics there is more likelyhood of failing too many times and not knowing how to rectify the problem quickly.

Pros. There is the knowledge that providing that you implement the correct tactics for each match, you generally will win.

In using your own tactics whenever you do get it right, it is very satisfying.

I was going to use a "tailor made" set of tactics for the second season But I may persevere for another season and see if I can improve. I would like to have just one tactic for home games and one for away games and being able to alter things according to how the matches go.

Advice as to whether the best way to go is global mentality or not would be appreciated. I am thinking in terms of my back four and my DMC mentality being indiviual and my attackers being on global. The reasoning is, that I can increase the attacking while still having my defence solid. Providing of course that I don't go too far.

Loversleaper. In your original tactics posting, you said that "I hardly ever use opposition instructions during matches".

In a post about Wolfsong's opposition instructons, it seems that you approve of them. Can you clarify, please. Should I use opposition instructions with you tactics or not?

At present I am abiding by your initial statement about hardly ever using them. That is to say, I do not use them. I do not want to adversely affect yout very good syatem by applying opposition instructions wrongly.

Just wanted to say thanks for this set of tactics! I’ve used them with Murcia in Spanish Div 1 and am so far incredibly impressed. I don’t get much time to play anymore but have got to Christmas in my first season – and without any signings (I always use the don’t allow transfer funds in first window option), these tactics have enabled me to take a team expected to finish nineteenth to fifth in one of the toughest leagues in the world and challenging for Europe! So, so happy with them! icon14.gif

I mostly use Offensive Balance at home (Defensive Balance against the really big teams) and Defensive Counter away. Murcia don’t have the best squad but have a surprisingly strong quartet of strikers which do get a fair few goals with these tactics. Using Play Ball against the few teams I’m expected to beat is very effective too.

I’ve made a couple of tweaks here and there – the main one being that when using defensive counter and wanting to be more cautious still, I move the two central midfielders to DM positions to further protect the back four. Seems to work fairly well – beat Sevilla 2-1 away from home playing like this which amazed me!

So once again thanks for taking the time to do this for those of us struggling with tactics and whilst it could all still go horribly wrong in the second half of the season it’s a really encouraging start. icon_smile.gif

Lovesleeper should I continue using the #5 4-4-2 counter defense away from home, or should I try #4 4-4-2 counter attack with my Sunderland team 3rd season.

Team

GK. Scribe

RB. Ratinho

CB. David

CB. McShane

LB. Guilherme

RM. Gakpe

CM. Richardson

CM. Whiteheafd

LW. Wallace

ST. Jones

ST. Ceravolo.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick27: tactic#4_Counter_Attack is more used when your team start becoming big favorites away from home. This is also influened with what manager rating you have. You might at one point have to play tactic#3_Balance with long f-arrows on the wingers. If you experiment a little here and there you will be able to get a feeling what works against certain opponents. If you get good at noticing match stats and general patterns in the match machine it should become a little easier to spot. But in general slight favorite/underdog tactic#5, and when I am comfortable favorite tactic#4.

So I have finally decided to upload some upgrades that I have been implementing in the tactic-sets. I've made some small tweaks, and they are as follows: added free-roles, upgraded closing down on Center Backs in the attacking formations, added 'hold up on ball' for the Defensive Mid and generally polished them up a bit. I have also finished two other tactic-sets: NonWinger and the 3AtTheBack. I've made them all more formation-compadible (in exception of the 3AtTheBack tactic-set) so you can switch around between them and not have to adjust so many players everytime you decide to change tactics:

4-4-2_Tactic-set

LoneStriker_Tactic-set

NonWinger_Tactic-set

3AtTheBack_Tactic-set

So, for fun, I've added a NonWinger Tactic-set which is a sort of Milan/Mourinho type of play without using wide men, and a 3AtTheBack Tactic-set which is more in the lines of how I imagined that a lot the the teams from Brazil play. In general you need good teams for these tactics to work convincingly (or that you have an exceptional manager rating), but the most important is that you have superb fullbacks in both of the mentioned Tactic-sets as they will be in joining the attack a lot of the time. It is also recomended that you get a good attacking mid as he is one of the players who has a free-role and a striker/forward with good dribbling skills/fast pace.

But remember that all these tactic-sets require tweaking from time to time to get the best results. One should get aquinted with opposition formations and start to combat them with the different formation out-looks, for example when your scout, who is reporting on opposition tactics, tells you 'to use a anchor-man'. Always remember to remove Forward Runs and Run With Ball entirely from your Full Backs when facing formations with Attacking Winger/Forwards and use this important tweak late in games to protect leads (watch if your opponent adds long f-arrows on their wingers). Also add longer f-arrows or take them away depending on your overall game-plan, and one should be doing these small changes/tweaks generally depending on the scoreline, especially with low manager rating.

Getting those points here and there using the mentioned tweaks and taking weather into consideration can really make a difference at the end of the season (could be deciding). It is a good idea to remove free-roles during matches to make the formation more stable and you don't want to go to a more defensive mentality tactically (playing too defensively at the wrong time can be costly). But please if you download these tactics, take a look at them and see how your team might fit into the positions as they have different functions and it is neccessary to get the players in their right places...

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading through the thread and it seems a little long. I think I can simplify a lot in this thread if I get some time to put my mind into it (now that the new patch is on the way) because it could use alittle upgrading. Especially now that I have noticed there have been quite a few downloads. I might also play a match here and there describing how I prepare and execute matches, as I think it is neccessary to show the simple ingame tweaks that are essential. It's those points gained here and there by ingame tweaks that (can) weigh up and be deciding at the end of the season...

Archived