Implementing tactics FM08...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've download the tactic set as I've only just got the game so I thought he would help me with understanding the new match engine.

I've started with Portsmouth and haven't done too bad as of yet. I've been using the 4-4-2 balance to begin with and trying to work out things from that. The counter tactics are a problem for me, when I play them I seem to encourage the opposition onto me more than I'd like. The time I tried it they had 38 shots with a good proportion on target. I somehow manage to draw that one mind :p

Tonight, I'm hopefully going to carry on with them and maybe try a 4-3-3 or some sort as Pompey have players that would fit in that system. Hopefully, with the things I've learnt (which isn't much at the much at the moment) I can come up with something worthwhile.

Simple ways I implement these tactics:

4-4-2 tactics: are for teams that have played together for a while. Mostly used when I have a team that is a contender. Use in Champions league after your restpective reputation has hit world-class (minimum continental and you have a world-class team).

General concept: going for the win tactics due to club expectations.

LoneStriker tactics:: At the begginning of most seasons to grind in results. Bottem of the league teams to stabilise results. You have a good team but have many new signings. Always when you are new coach in the Champions League (recomended the first couple of season and mostly away from home against the big teams). Most of the cups when you are away from home and have low reputation.

General concept: grinding in results to stabalise the team.

These, of course are general rules, but not unbreakable rules. It might take some time and thought before one familiarise oneself with the tactics and I recomend one really look at the tactics so one can have a basic idea of why I implement the tactics the way I do. The are in different degrees of mentalitites, pressure, ect which I will use in coordination with what level I think my opponent will either attack or defend against me.

#1 High Pressure tactics: Used only at home against teams that are hard to score against (high timewasting/ultra defensive formations). In the match machine one of the clues is when early in the match = "he is in no hurry to take the freekick" for example (there are other similar hints in the match commentary). If you are not using this tactic from the start of the match (mostly start with #2 Play Ball with long f-arrows on wingers if playing 4-4-2) then you must switch to this tactic during the game (the sooner the better). If you are using this tactic from the start of the match you must change down to tactic #2 Play Ball if you notice that you are dominating possession but are not dominating shots on goal (but wait until at least the 20-30 minute mark to be sure).

#2 Play Ball tactics: Your normal home tactics for when you are slight favorites or slight underdog. You have the option of using long f-arrows or short f-arrows with the 4-4-2 tactics. Mostly use long f-arrows unless you are up against real class opponents. You also have to use this tactic at home if you are comfortable favorite but your opponent is stronger than anticipated. The 4-3-3 formation can be tweaked to the 4-1-4-1 by simply moving the wingers position back to the midfield line. Also long or short f-arrows on the wingers can be implemented. Signs to look for if you are not attacking enough is that you have a decent amount of chances but your possession is 46%-45% or under (but wait til the 20-30 minute mark to be sure) because then you have to switch up to tactic #1 High Pressure. You are comfortable favorites in one of the cup finals.

#3 Balanced tactics: Usually for training matches with easy tackling. Cup finals where you are slight favorite. Your most defensive home tactic. You are relagation battler against top of the league. Can be used away from home if you have been using tactic #4 Counter Attacking (because you were comfortable or sure fire favorites away from home) and your opponent scores first. In this case give long f-arrows on the wingers. Wouldn't recomend using this tactic from the start of the match (when away from home) unless you are up against an opponent that is a division or two under you in the cup.

#4 Counter Attacking tactics: You are slight underdog in one of the cup finals. If you are 2-0 up at home and you want to grind in the result change to this tactic (earliest at half time). Your general most attacking formation away from home if you are comfortable or sure fire favorites against another team in your league. But remember there are teams where you are comfortable favorites against but they have a stronger team than the pre-match odds have suggested. In this case you will notice that you are not matching your opponent in match stats and are under pressure, in this case switch down to #5 Counter Defensive.

#5 Counter Defensive tactics: Your normal away from home tactic if you are slight favorite, slight underdog or comfortable underdog. You will a lot of the time not be totally dominating the match stats but is a very sturdy formation. If you notice your opponent time wasting early in the match against you, you can try to switch up to tactic #4 Counter Attacking. You can use this tactic if you are strong underdog in one of the cup finals.

#6 Hold Back and Catenaccio tactics: Holding results for later in the game. The "catenaccio" tactic is a real 0-0 tactic and probably the most difficult formation to break down. I have rarely used it, but did try it away from home as a minow team against top teams and rarely lose (I don't win either) but I grind in a good result. Want to hold on to that result or did your opponent switch to a all out attacking formation (for example the 4-2-4) then switch down to these tactics.

It might take some time to get used to all these situations, but after a while it becomes more easy but still one can choose the wrong tactic at any given time and it's just about learing from it and getting on with it. You have to fight your way back every so often and you will find out how if you use some of the ideologies I've explained above. You will be successful if you can descipline yourself sometimes to long term planning and goal setting. Be realsitic with your squad especially if you have brought in a lot of new players (and coaches). You will struggle to start with, but if you have been wise with your signings then in the long run you will reap the rewards. If there are any games people are struggling with you can post them hear and we can see if there is a way to get some satisfactory result. At one point I will give a little insight on press handling and team talk, but generally be conservative or encouraging for the most part and you don't go too wrong. Attack your rivals with mind playing/negative press play. I hardly ever use Opposition Instructions during the matches. If there are any games people are struggling with you can post them here and we can see if there is a way to get some satisfactory result out of it. I hope this explaination can be used and if you have any questions please feel free to post the here. Thanks...

Tweaks: There are several tweaks one should implement. Long f-arrows on the wingers should be used with the crossing from by line, where as short f-arrows cross from mixed. Fullbacks when running forward often should cross from mixed, unless they are running forward mixed or rarely then they should cross from deep. When you are up against formations with attacking wingers (long f-arrows or forward/winger types) then you have to use the normal Full Back (mixed forward runs) or defensive Full Back (rare forward runs) regardless of which tactic you are using. Big stong Strikers that have low pace and dribbling skills should run with ball rarely. But generally look at your players stats and to some extent try to get the best out of them without changing things too drastically, as I feel the uploaded versions offer the best options.

Looks promising! thanks..

Really think this is the future of FM, adapting your tactics according to diffirent game scenarios. People out there fishing for the ONE wondertactic, will have to search for ever. The game is so advanced now days, it simply wouldnt be possible. So thank you, for all your work and insight to this game. Maybe others on this forum will learn something! =)

EA_mon: reflecting back I can see that I didn't explain the 4-2-4.

4-2-4 High Pressure: use this tactic first around the 50-60 minute mark in the match if you are on home field and you have been using one of the other #1_High Pressure tactics and you are at 0-0 or behind against an opponent you should be beating. I do not recomend you use this tactic away from home.

4-2-4 All Out Attack: Designed only for the last 10-15 minutes of the match if you are really chasing a goal. If you need to use the 4-2-4 before the last 10-15 minutes you have to use the High Pressure version. You can use this tactic at home or away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Loversleaper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loversleaper thanks again for your time, explanations and tactics. You've improved my quality of life.

Cheers

Loversleaper: 5 consecutive defeats sounded worse than it looked, gameplay wise we could have won as many as all of them.

The ones i'm finding working better are the 4-4-2, well better results but if i hit the last 20 minutes needing a goal and switch to 4-2-4 i have found the goal has went against me rather than for me. Overall though it has picked up despite the disasterous start, sitting mid table with Ebbsfleet.

4-4-2 defence, 4-4-2 attack and 4-4-2 pressure (only used occasionally but effectivly). Although the opposition has scored far to often from it's shots on target ratio i still wouldn't be critical of this tactic set. I appreciate the effort you have put into it.

Generally it's best to wait until the last ten minutes and then use the 4-2-4 all out attack (the one with the quick tempo). Away from home mostly #5_defensive counter, and home #2_play ball. When playing lower leagues I think one should be as basic as possible, so the players can cope with the instructions (for example I had to take away the run with ball option on the one forward). Usually for me the strong point is actually the defense (usually the best in the respective league I am playing). Remember also I play more defensively when I take the lead (especially starting out at a new club as it takes time for the team to get played together). And on home field I do it with simple tweaks (short f-arrows, normal or defensive full back, ect). If I am playing #4_counter attacking and I take the lead, switch down to #5_counter defensive. If I lead with two goals on home field (using #2_play ball) switch down to tactic #4_counter attacking...

Loversleaper: Things have picked up for sure as i'm moving steadily up the table and scoring goals without to much of a problem, most likekly to the understanding my team have at this stage of the season.

But what is really concerning me is the amount of goals per shot on target the opponents are getting.

EXAMPLE...

bafflingmj3.png] [/url]

As yoy can see the opponents scored from BOTH shots that they had on target. Yes i won the game but that is not my point, my point is that this is only one example, i could show lots more with the same situation. My opponents are scoring with EVERY shot on target!

If my defence is poor then fair enough, but if my defence was poor would they not manage much more shots on target?

I have found that as the season has progressed and my team gets a better understanding i have reduced their shots on target - but not their goals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">no pleasing some people

HEHE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was probably the wrong example to show then, the point i was making and it would have been the same with any example i showed was that the opponents are scoring with almost each shot on target. It shouldn't matter if i win/lose or draw the game. If you get my point? rick111 - obviously not.

Loversleaper:

I'm in control of a team expected to achive relegation with ease from premier league. A few games into the season this looks very likely.

I have tried to apply your deffensive tactics, but get stuffed by 3 or 4 goals every game. My team creates nothing and have not yet scored in any game.

What concerns me is that whatever tactic I chose, I get stuffed. There is very little difference from choosing an attacking formation or a deffensive formation, according to match stats.

The players in my team are obviously not of world class talent. About 5 players have attracted interest from medicore+ premier league teams. Defenders have got 15+ on the most important attributes, but sadly they are not premiership qulaity when it comes to marking. The best defender might have 14 on marking.

Attacking forces is limited, but I've got a very talented attacking midfielder, two promising strikers and a striker of really good quality. A bit short of talent on the wings, but not to bad.

What would you have done with such squad, and 38 hard games in the premier league? I've got money to improve, but there are not many players of better qulaity interested in joining my club. My hopes for the season is to avoid relegation.

You are doing a good job on theese forums, Lovesleaper. Offering tactics, advice and opinions. Well done. Hope I can learn something from your tactics and aproach to the game.

Andysafc: things are picking up because your team is getting used to the tactics (and eachother). It can vary on how long this takes because it depends on signings adaptbility, and it takes a lot longer for foreign players to adapt. I can't really explain the goals going in against you. It could be a number of things. Your goalkeeper might be too young? It might also come down to the level you are playing. I also see a fair number of games that I have dominated strongly and win 2-1. But the point is winning and getting results, and I can assure you that in the long run things do get better (especially if you have been relatively using the same team for several seasons). But if you go and buy half or a whole new team you will be going (almost) back to square one, and this is one of the hardships of going up through the ranks.

Imperator77: If I were in your situation I would definatly play the LoneStriker tactics to start out with. You need good players and if I were you I would try to find a shortlist (in the Good Team & Player forum) called high potential. You have a quality striker and two promising strikers so for sure LoneStriker is the way to go, and I would be patient and not panic. Your new in the premiership and I know that the first 15 games are going to be really tough. I would play #5_4-1-4-1 Counter Defensive away from home unless up against the top four, in this case try the #6_5-4-1 Catenaccio. At home against teams that you think you have a chance against with #2_4-3-3 Play Ball but I would tweak it: bring the forward/wings down to the midfield to make the 4-1-4-1 formation, and as soon as I went 1-0 I would change to #4_4-1-4-1 Counter Attacking and tweak the full backs so they have the Normal Full Back settings (see first post) with tight marking. But move the wingers back to their original place if need be. Against teams that are struggling with you I would use the #2_4-4-2 Play Ball at home. Make sure you don't have a young goalkeeper even if he has good stats. Finding a goalkeeper with experience is essential for a relegation battler. I might try some things out for you when I have time, or you can send me a copy of your saved game so I can take a look and I'll get back to on the subject...

Loversleaper: Your probably pretty close to the truth as i did bring in quite a few players before the season. I got Fulham as my parent club and loaned 5 players off them. I've stopped getting those stats so maybe it was just bad luck, coincedence etc. Overall really love the tactic set even though the defence gives me to many panic attacks. icon_wink.gif

It's weird because i can approach one game and i'll choose 4-4-2 defence counter to start with in an away game where i think a draw would be a good result and i win 3-0. This has happened a few times. But i've also got it wrong and the reverse has happened - but that's football.

Overall i give you a big icon14.gif

Andysafc: naturally it's more difficult away from home (as you mentioned with which tactic one should use). Mostly I will choose tactic#5_Defensive Counter, but once my team really starts to show form I will be comming up against more defensive tactics. Generally once I am a strong favorite on outfield I start to use tact#4_Counter Attacking, but will change from there during the match when the following happens: I go up 1-0 = change down to tactic#5_Counter Defensive. Go down 1-0 = change to tactic#3_Balance and tweak it to the long f-arrow version. But still there are still a few teams that are stronger than the pre-match odds had suggested, so it's about spotting them and changing down to tactic#5_Counter Defensive.

But bare in mind that I still think that things can be done in more simple ways, but one has to crawl before one walks. So I hope these tactics can give some ideas, just the same way these tactics evolved in the first place...

Imperator77: Ok, so I have done the following: took over promoted Q.P.R. in the second season on one of my saved games. 1st November 2008 and QPR are sitting comfortably on the bottem spot. They have (no offense to any QPR fan) definatly not a team for the premiership, poor coaches and a torrid moral. They haven't won for 11 games straight.

Big problems and I can't shop before the new years day. So at home I had to use tactic #3_4-1-4-1 just to try to grind in some results. Away from home I had to use #6_Catenaccio for the most part! I usually, when newly promoted, have definatly made sure that I have stronger players than I ones I had to take over with QPR. Now just before the transfer window I'm only 2 points from safety (started out behind by 7 but had played a game more than some of my other rivals) so I am going forward, but I need some stronger players. So I am going to either buy qualified players (perferably ones with some experience) or I'm going to see if I can loan from some of the big clubs that have some good players that they are not using and running around in the reserve liga. This will stabilise my team, and if I save my self from relegation I will be planning for the future: free transfers, coaches, and players that can play more attacking formations.

So if your team is similar to the this type of team I would play generally like this:

Home: #3_Balance against most teams. Against the absolute top teams play tactic#5_Counter Defensive. Against other relegation battlers use tactic#2_Play Ball but bring the forward/wingers back down to make the 4-1-4-1 formation (short or long f-arrow).

Away: #6_Catenaccio. Against other relegation battlers use tact#5_Counter Defensive.

You are going to struggle but you have to go for long term planning. Once you start stabilising and getting a little respect (pre-match odds starts to get better) then start slowly moving up the tactic chain and play more offensively. I always recomend faster defenders and once you have two class strikers and competent midfield (Defensive Mid, Offensive Mid, & two decent wingers) then start to think about playing the 4-4-2 formations. But, personally, I always try to get versatile players so I can always use the #1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure, as it offers at times very good football...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After being in the top 6 for the first half of the season i ended up finishing 17th in League 1 with Huddersfield Town? Do you have any idea what may have gone wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terriers4ever: I'm going to need some more information. Do you have training set-ups, asignments, who takes care of team talks, how do you use the tactics home & away against which type of opponents...

Loversleaper: Thanks for testing and reporting! I think I've got a bit team all over than QPR. Managed to strenghten the team in the summer and before kick off, the assistant reported that the squad should be good enough to avoid relegation.

I've tried your tactics now (those you recomended) and have had some good results (1-0 vic away at Liverpool were my team played realy well. Used the catenaccio formation in that game). I've won 3 games at home and drawn one. Lost 3 on the road and won one. This is very promising and a lot better than I expected.

The team creates a nice amount of chances and they might socre a bit more when the new boys have settled in. If I can get hold of a fast DC I might be able to tighten up the defence.

After 8 games the team has managed 4 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats. Scored 11, and let in 11. I'm satisfied with the results, especially when there are 5 new players in the team.

This would not been possible without your help and great tactics. My team seems to work like an unit now.

Thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't touch training, i ask the assistant then tweak as i see necessary and i use the tactics exactly the way you said in the opening post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is probably where the problem is starting. You don't have to be that advanced when you make training schedules but take the following into consideration: Pre-season training with lots of strength. During the season have at least your offensive players with more attacking instructions, and your defensive defending of course. Then make sure that you have assigned your coaches so you get the maiximum amount of stars in the different categories. This shouldn't take mare than 10 minutes and is well worth it (remeber you can export training lists so you can import them back into any game you desire and you save loads of time).

Why is this important? Believe it or not but your attackers score more and you let fewer goals even if you do things relatively simple. Otherwise find some tailor made training schedules (several good posts around) because it's worth all the trouble.

Team talks can be ruined by your assistant manager. So I would first untick that option. When you are asked what to say to the squad then hit the "ask assistant manager" option. This is an easy way for you to find out who in your squad needs alternative team talk. Then I would see if I agree with him, because I have found it is much better to have an encouraging viewpoint. So for the most part "for the fans" or "we can win this" (have a real good shot at winning). If I am one goal up at half "encourage" both home and away. Two goals up "don't let your performance drop". Other than that pleased if you are doing very well against a good opponent or disappointing if you are doing bad agaisnt weaker opposition. If things are really going bad you can't be disappointed all the time, so sometimes "none" can help. Away to superstrong opposition and I have litterly no chance "pressure is off". Before the match I'm extremely conservative: Comfortable favorite at home "win if play our best". Slight favorite or slight underdog "no comment". Strong underdog away "can cause us problems".

I have found that this works but maybe some others have some tricks up their sleeves and they might want to share. I always praise super-favorite teams to win against me so they relax alittle when playing against them. Mind playing/negative press play against rival clubs. If a bottem team manager praised you before the match "sympathise with his battle with relegation" (counter move). If your team is on good morale for the most part you start really playing good football. Notice sometimes how your team moral is sometimes, especially after some of your team talk. This combined with tactics (and the right players that include some players' in their respective prime age) will make the club work like it should. The press doesn't really have to make that much an impact but enough sometimes to squeez a good result here and there because they effect a few players which sometimes can just be enough. But if your team really goes down morally you will struggle until you figure out how to get them back to being happy and playing football...

Loversleaper: Do you look at pre-match odds before deciding what formation to play? I've had a couple of homegames where my team has been clear favourites, and have chosen 4-3-3 play ball. The games has turned out to be really difficult because the oposition are extremely efficient in front of goal and playing defensive. I've tried the 4-2-4 formations in the end of the games. Turned out rather different compared to when AI goes 4-2-4. What heppended was that AI started to play short passes between players and wasted a lot of time by having players run to the corner flags. No one closed down, just backed off.

Against other relegation candidates (newly promoted teams for example) I usualy get stuffed. Have tried to select a tactic according to the prematch odds, and your suggestions, but can not find a tactic that stops the tsunamiattacks the oponent sets up. Not even the 5-4-1 stops it. Oposition creates lots of chances and possession could be 60/70 - 40/30 in favour to AI.

Against top teams it's slightly different. They win, but have not had heavy defeats. That might be down to the opsition being careless, because they create lots of chances.

So after a good start it has become slightly harder, as I expected. The heavy losses away from home against weak teams makes me scratch my head though. At least my team should be capable to grind out a draw in some of those games.

Imperator77: yes, I do look at pre-match odds and I mostly notice if I am basically strong favorite/underdog or slight favorite/underdog. I sounds to me as you do have some strong players in your squad.

When you are at home against very weak opponents then I would play one of the #1_High Pressure formations. And as soon as I take the lead switch down to #2_Play Ball, and tweak to the short f-arrow version(4-4-2) or move the forward/wingers back to the midfield(4-3-3) to create the 4-1-4-1 formation to play a more holding style. If you you go up by two goals switch to tactic#4_Counter Attacking and ride the game out. Remember sometimes to tweak the full backs to tighten up the defense no matter which tactic you are currently using. If I haven't scored using the #1_High Pressure, at one point later on in the game I will start using the 4-2-4 formations, and only use the all out attack version in the last 10-15 minutes or it could backfire.

Away from home against much weaker opposition (comfortable or sure fire favorite) you have to play the tactics with middle mentalities. That means I would start out with #4_Counter Attacking. Then do the following: I go 1-0 up switch down to tactic#5_Counter Defensive. I go down 1-0 switch to tactic#3_Balance and then tweak the formation so there is long f-arrows on the winger + crossing from byline. But remember that you can be comfortable favorite and still have to use tactic#5_Counter Defensive because they are a stronger team than the pre-match odds, but this only happens a couple of time a year (example: Bolton first season).

You might have a strong enough squad to in some of the games to play 4-4-2. Have you tried the #1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure tactic at home against much weaker opponents? Well this is where managing gets a little harder because now your opponents are playing more tactically against you. Remember when you are overperforming or in good result form you have to start playing a little more offensively because every match you will be facing a more cautious opposition.

I have to say that these templates are great.

I am Real Madrid in the first season and am doing very well.

League table

I know that it is Real, but I have bought no players and van Nistelrooy has been injured most of the season.

I find that the defensive tactics is the most efficient, and I have to admit that I am playing for the result and not the crowd.

But still this is very solid.

I have also played with hibs in the scottish premier, and two months out in my second season I am top of the table.

Great work, Loversleaper!!

Loversleaper. I am just three games into my second season and am using your 4-4-2 set. I am not tweaking but trying to move up and down the range as I think is required. I am keeping my progress to myself until 1/3rd [15 league matches] of the season are completed. I will then post my efforts as I feel that any fewer matches is not giving any tactics a fair crack of the whip.

I have just the one question. Is it in order to alter the team instruction "Focus Passing"? My reason is thus. My tactcic says focus passing = mixed. My scout says that team "X"s pitch is better suited to teams that play "through the middle". Will it hinder the tactic set you have provided or not?

oescus: I keep focus passing to give my team as many options as possible, and why I don't play with target man or playmaker. It's up to you if you want to, but I never have felt it is neccessary.

Taunton: I do pretty much the same as you to start out with, but next season (and maybe even later on in this season) you will experience that you need to play a lot more attacking (if everything goes as planned) and go for 2-0 before you start "closing the shop". I hope you saw an updated description on the bottem of page 1.

Loversleaper: Yes I saw the description, and because of those I have been able to do well.

It is very kind of you to give us so much information.

What is great with this tactics is that you have one for every occasion.

But when you play attacking, do you get hit on the counter, or do you dictate play and get those goals before the other team do?

Taunton: which tactic did you use...#5_4-4-2 Counter Defensive or #5_4-1-4-1 Counter Defensive?

Torkshireman: I designed the LoneStriker tactics to offer alternative methods to how I approach some games as the 4-4-2 had some "holes". There more for grinding results, with the exception of the #1_4-2-3-1 High Pressure which is for exceptionally good teams. I usually try to get players that can play several positions and change between the two tactic sets (also in the middle of the match) so you can sometimes catch your opponent off gaurd as you are attacking differently or defending differently. If you do wish to carry on using them you need some world class winger forwards a la ronaldinho/messi and try more or less to use the attacking formations (tweak some of the 4-1-4-1 tactics to 4-3-3)...

Archived