Help. I have to make a big decision

2irkb9f.png

I started my managerial career at Eastleigh (the local team to where I live). I certainly did not plan on gaining promotion in my first season, but I made several solid free signings that ended up with a chance of promotion in the play offs and my team did not disappoint. It was a great season and I was looking forward to a second year with my local team.

However Norwich had got relegated from the Premier League and sacked their manager. After being mentioned as being someone in the running for the job I couldnt resist sending off an application. This upset the Eastleigh board so I resigned expecting to also be rejected by Norwich and end up unemployed. To my surprise Norwich did offer me the job, so I took it.

Norwich didnt spend alot during their premier league campaign because I inherited a club with 30 million pound in the bank. Anyway spending 10 million was enough for me and Norwich to get back into the premier league via the play offs.

I just finished a very tough campaign which ended in us staying in the premier league for next season.

In the midst of preparing for a new campaign Sir Alex Ferguson finally called it time and retired. And this just happened.....

30tkhea.png

As silly as it sounds I am enjoying my time with Norwich and am reluctant to leave. But I know something like this wont happen everyday. I didnt expect to be managing in the premier league for at least five to eight seasons let alone managing Wayne Rooney.

What do you guys think I should do?

I would say if your questioning it then your mind has already decided it is time to move on :) Norwich would take ages to get to the stage United is at. And one side note...Rooney might not be your best striker, look at Hernandez

On a slightly different note, I am amazed by how unrealistic this situation seems to be. Perhaps SI need to have a look at it because surely something like this should not happen. I guess Brendon Rogers taking the Liverpool job is kind of similar now though, so I dunno what to think. lol

Decision made...take it. I always get to a point where i am like "I want madrid or barca" and by that point despite having won lots a new manager has gone into those and then i cant get it. The chance to manage a big club doesn't come along often, even if you are one of the best.

Personally, I'd have considered the move to Norwich an even less likely one, from one non-league season to a Champ club just out the Prem. What rep did you start the game with?

Well my thinking was quite alot of managers have played football in some capacity. There are of course a few exceptions. So I thought perhaps I was a league 2 player who retired at 32 due to an injury and Eastleigh decided to give me a chance.

You cant set it to league 2 player (maybe in future you could be specific?) so I set it to professional footballer. Even then though, Man Utd offering me the job is still a bit of a stretch dont you think? Paul Ince only got given a shot at blackburn after a good year with MK Dons. Ok I kept norwich up last season, so being offered a job with someone like aston villa would seem to be reasonable but man utd? To follow in FERGUSONS feet? Seems a bit too much.

I'm just a bit worried about how unrealistic it would look on my CV. I would be managing arguable the biggest club in english football in just my fourth season as a manager. I'm a bit shocked to be honest.

You clearly gave yourself a high starting rep. You should try starting with "Sunday League Footballer" as your past experience and see how long it takes to get to the top.

Your starting rep was probably too high, to be honest, although "Professional Player" would seem to cover a lot of ground. While you see yourself as, say, Andy Hessenthaler, who spent his playing career mostly in the lower pro leagues, the game thinks you're Steve Bruce, Paolo Di Canio or Mikel Arteta- good enough to play professionally at a decent level, not good enough (for whatever reason) to be considered an international.

For the game's sake, if you want to put yourself in the mould of a lower-league manager, you're still better off with "Sunday League", as a more accurate reflection.

I still dont undertsand. Ferguson was never a great player, neither was redknapp or wenger. Infact name me a few great players who became great managers? Daglish is one. Im struggling to name too many others. The fact I played professional football (league 2) is not a good reason to give the biggest job in english football to a 34-35 year old.

My reasoning was pretty good. League 2 player retiring at 32 due to injury being hired by a team in the lowest possible playing league in the game.

Maybe that could be an option in FM 2013, to be more specific.

Don't take the wording too literally. International Footballer is a worldwide reputation, Sunday League Footballer is an obscure reputation. Maybe not exactly this, but you get my drift.

If you want a more realistic career progression then yes. On the other hand, you didn't have to go for the Norwich or Man U jobs in the first place, you could have stayed with Eastleigh if you wanted to. It sounds like you want to manage MU, so you may as well carry on.

I would say you should still go to united. If you dont then Jose will come in and take that job, then someone just as good will take madrid. Guardiola wont quit barca....so where will you go even in a few years time?

Archived