Group Draws for Champions League

What team are you?

The co-effs i think are decided by your reputation, not if you win the league. Its only the Champions league by name, not set up ;)

Co-effs are decided by your performance in European competitions over the past 4/5 years, where did rep come from?

The rankings go off how well you have performed in Europe in the last 5 seasons as previously mentioned. All the ranking points are added together I believe and that is your total.....so basically even if you have had one good season it will boost you up the rankings but the likes of Barcelona, Madrid etc who have high ranking points will be ahead of you until you build up your ranking points. The top 8 go into pot 1 so if you arent in the top 8 co-eff's then you will be in pot 2. The total ranking points are listed next to the team when the draw is made as well.

It's the same in real life. Look at Dortmund being a 4th seed this season when they won the Bundesliga, which is the third ranked league in Europe. They hadn't played in the tournament for years so their co-efficient ranking was awful even though they were coming off a great season.

If you win the Champions League you should automatically be top seed in the group stage draw

Nope.

This site gives a good explanation of the rules: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedcl2011.html

Despite Barcelona winning the Champions League in 2010/11 they are still seeded 2nd behind Man Utd this season as Man Utd have the higher co-eff.

If you win the Champions League you should automatically be top seed in the group stage draw

This is what I always assumed to be correct. I won the CL after having never got by the group stage in a previous season and there was at least 8 clubs with a higher co-efficient than me but I was still a 1st seed.

I was Dundee United by the way so I highly doubt being in Scotland would of helped me.

Hmmm I can't find anything in the competition rules that say one way or another on this page though which I think is from UEFA shows Barcelona as holders being top seed:

http://europeancups.altervista.org/Teams/participantsCL2011-2012.html

It also shows that teams coming through the qualifiers being ranked in the bottom places and therefore pot 4 for the group draw (2 in pot 3) irrelevant of their co-efficient.

Archived