The game still doesn't get it

Hi, first of all i want to say that i wasn't able to play this year's FM as much as the previous ones. This is due to various factors, but still i managed to play one save with Basel in the Swiss league.

I'm a hardcore veteran, playing this game from 1997/1998, so i can say i played majority of all the versions. I won't talk about other things that can be improved, but i want to highlight one small thing that is really annoying me. As i stated i'm playing with Basel, winning the league in all of my 6 seasons, one Champions League semi-final, two quarter-finals and one Uefa cup semi-final.

In the league no team can even come close to me, winning by big margins. Here comes this little thing that is killing the realism in my eyes, on every start of the Champoins league predictions are made, and i always get that message that i should be happy playing with more illustrious opponents, putting my team as complete outsiders.

It is ok if i got that preddictions in my two first seasons, but i got that now, on the start of 7th season. I think that the game still doesn't understand that i'm no cannon fodder in the CL, i'm pretty much the same contender for the crown as any other team. Also in the league, i'm constantly tipped to come in second place behind Neuchatel Xamax, who have big money, but in reality they are 20 points behind every year.

These are small things, but for a game that is priding itself on realism, it is really stupid seeing this predictions(along with the pre match odds).

I've won the league in the last 2 seasons and been in the top 4 for like 7 years and i am predicted 3rd this year. im 2nd atm but when i was 3rd it claimed i was overachieving?!? Im pretty sure it didn't tip me for top 4 in them either. It is annoying its not realistic as you say.

alirght, on mine i got the exact opposite, 2013/14 season, second season in the premier league with blackpool after finishing a resepctable 7th, winning league cup and europa leage finalists. the season starts well, lots of home games and easy aways points picked up as a result, 10-15 games in, i am top of the league (top clubs losing silly games away from home helped) suddenly i turn into title contenders O.o. 10-15 games is barly anything

You have to remember that all that's happening in FM is many calculations and then a somewhat appropriate message is given to you based on those calculations. There's no such thing in the game like human intuition and speculation. It's not going to tell you, "well, such and such club is from a weaker league but they do look quite imposing compared to other big clubs from stronger leagues, and they should put on a strong challenge in the CL". There are limitations as to what FM can spit out at you, unfortunately.

I don't know. I think its pretty reasonable to expect some further development here. Just look at how the team has fared in the last year, how it's done in the last 5 years, and historically and make a reasonable statement. In this case:

"Basel have dominated the league recently, finishing with a 20 point margin last year, and a 15 point margin the year before. Despite the financial strength of Neuchatel Xamax, Basel have won comfortably each year. With little changing in the overall strength of each squad we should expect more of the same this year. Basil for champions, by (name a date that reflects last year's league winning date)."

"Basel, though a smallish club, have shown remarkable strength both domestically and in the CL in recent years. 10 years ago I would have called them minnows, but whoever finds them in their group this year should take note: Basel are a very good team!"

These kinds of statements could easily be derived from available data. Its just a matter of improving that module and I agree with the OP that it really should be done. It doesn't irk me as much that it is quaintly wrong every year, but I think it should.

All that is based on Reputation. It changes slowly, and only increases substantially if you win stuff. As such, until you actually win the CL, you will continue to be tipped as cannon fodder.

Unfortunately not.

In my Brøndby save in the last four seasons I've won the CL, 2 times semi final and one quarter final. I'm 3rd (soon to be 1st) on the coefficient list. Still it comes as a big surprise when I qualify from the group stage...

one Champions League semi-final, two quarter-finals and one Uefa cup semi-final.

If you win the CL or get to the finals then make some noise.

You don't seem to do well in the CL. Regardless of league statures.

Anyone else from Swiss getting good results in CL???

It's down to reputation.

To be frank, i don't see how winning your league 6 times in a row has anything to do with CL reputation. As some of the leagues are more or less dominated by 2 teams in the last decade.

To your point of 1 semi-final and 2 quarter-finals - while it may seems like a decent achievement, if you compare it to your peers in the competition, it looks pale in comparison.

IMO even winning 1 CL is not good enough, to be considered as top dog/world class you got to at least match Milan, Real Madrid history in the CL.

To be frank, i don't see how winning your league 6 times in a row has anything to do with CL reputation. As some of the leagues are more or less dominated by 2 teams in the last decade.

To your point of 1 semi-final and 2 quarter-finals - while it may seems like a decent achievement, if you compare it to your peers in the competition, it looks pale in comparison.

IMO even winning 1 CL is not good enough, to be considered as top dog/world class you got to at least match Milan, Real Madrid history in the CL.

Tend not to agree with that, even though from a "game" perspective you may be right.

Your last paragraph, you are talking about being elite, and there are few teams in the world that are considered the elite in Champions League. The OP I don't think is talking about being elite, moreso saying that his team should be recognised as a team that is a consistent Champions League performer.

The game is treating the OP's team in a fashion that says he should feel lucky to be here (CL), but, by competing for six years running with some moderate successes along the way, the game should be treating the OP's team a little differently. In other words, the game should be viewing the OP's team as a Champions League regular, and possibly suggesting that a second knockout round(for example) not unfeasible.

I would have thought that the reputation of the home league would impact your Champions League reputation as well. The game would think that finishing 4th in the Premier League/Seria A/La Liga/Bundesliga or 2nd in France/Holland/Portugal etc is more reputable than winning the Swiss league?

I'd dare say you are probably correct.

However there still needs to be a balance where your Champions League reputation takes on a life of it's own so to speak. Similar to that of domestic cups.

Archived