So, Still an Issue With Internationals

Yeah it's hopeless. I mean England won it in 2014 on mine! France brought it back to normality in 2018!

On a serious note though, my game hasn't thrown up strange winners. France (2012) and Holland (2016) won the Euros and Brazil won the 2015 Copa America, in addition to the above 2 WC winners.

I would say Senegal winning in 2 years is a bit far fetched. But who's to say Switzerland won't be a very good team in 6 years time? Don't forget Spain went out in the group stages of Euro 2004 and only reached the 2nd round of the 2006 World Cup. I don't think too many people were predicting their dominance of international football within 4 years.

I wish people wouldn't keep defending blatant problems in fm. Pisses me off because then si don't recognise it as a problem.

It has been an issue for a long time in fm with internationals. I think in fm 2011 I ended up playing Scotland in the finals and they had knocked out brazil and Spain.

I know these things happen but not with the regularity it does in fm.

A bit like Greece winning Euro 2004, or South Korea knocking out Spain and Italy or France as defending champions losing to Senegal and going out in the group stages without conceding a goal in WC2002, or England not qualifying for Euro 2008, or New Zealand holding Italy to a draw in 2010, etc. The list goes on and on.

No, these things never happen IRL. Belgium winning the WC in 2014 would be a surprise, but it could happen so is hardly a massive problem with the game.

A bit like Greece winning Euro 2004, or South Korea knocking out Spain and Italy or France as defending champions losing to Senegal and going out in the group stages without conceding a goal in WC2002, or England not qualifying for Euro 2008, or New Zealand holding Italy to a draw in 2010, etc. The list goes on and on.

No, these things never happen IRL. Belgium winning the WC in 2014 would be a surprise, but it could happen so is hardly a massive problem with the game.

There is an issue with the game. No two ways about it.

My WC winners have been a little less interesting:

2014 - Spain

2018 - Brazil

2022 - Spain

2026 - Argentina

It is essentially a knockout cup competition though, so you can't really blame the game for throwing up strange winners every now and again. If it was happening to everyone regularly then it might be worth considering as an issue, but I'm not sure it is.

You have one example of a team actually WINNING something unexpectedly, Greece. Your others are good teams being knocked out. I'm not talking about the odd unexpected victory am I?

It happens reguarly in the game that crap teams win int comps. has done for some time now.

You have one example of a team actually WINNING something unexpectedly, Greece. Your others are good teams being knocked out. I'm not talking about the odd unexpected victory am I?

It happens reguarly in the game that crap teams win int comps. has done for some time now.

You've only given one example of a team winning a competition as well, so yes, you are talking about one unexpected victory.

And as others have mentioned, Belgium have some very good players in FM, so it's not a massive shock.

You've only given one example of a team winning a competition as well, so yes, you are talking about one unexpected victory.

And as others have mentioned, Belgium have some very good players in FM, so it's not a massive shock.

Look at athos7 post.

It's happened a lot in fm 11 too.

Also didn't you see on mine they beat England in the final?

Maybe it would be an idea to add a poll to the thread to see who won the 2014 WC in people's games?

Here are the favourites:

Brazil 5/2

Spain 9/2

Argentina 6/1

Germany 8/1

Holland 12/1

England 14/1

Italy 16/1

(not sure how many options you can add, so 'other' might cover too many teams)

IRL

1992 Denmark winner of EC

2004 Greece winner of EC

South Korea and Turkey reached far stages of the WC 2002

Uruguay Copa America winners 2011 and best south american team in the 2010 WC

Ghana 2010 WC

France in the last place in group A WC 2010, France defeated by Senegal WC 2002

Italy finishing in the last place in group F WC 2010 as reigning champions

International football is full of surprises ( I remember Liechtenstein - Portugal 2-2 )

in my game in FM 2011

Turkey has reached the finals of European Championship two times, Scotland once, also Turkey reached one final in the World Cup, and finished third in another, this making Turkey the most surprising dominating country in my game

Belgium have just won the world cup in 2014. They were in the final against england with spain, argies and brazil and france all going out early.

Come om si, when u gonna sort this out?

There have been millions of World Cup 2014's played by users of FM12 since it was released, are you seriously saying that it should be impossible for Belgium or other smaller nations to win it? I would certainly prefer that not to be hard-coded. If it happened very frequently I would agree with you that it should be looked at, but it happens at a similar rate in my experience to reality.

As others have said, Greece in 2004 when they were rank outsiders and Denmark in 1992 when they didn't even qualify before playing in the tournament are major examples of the smallest team in the competition winning major international tournaments and I am sure there are examples in other continents. It happens relatively often, and is definitely not a bug

Belgium have just won the world cup in 2014. They were in the final against england with spain, argies and brazil and france all going out early.

Come om si, when u gonna sort this out?

Think the bigger shock is England being in an international final :p

As others have said there has been some unusual winners/upsets though the years with internationals - another example would be who would of thought that the USA would beat Spain in the Confederate cup in 09 and even made Brazil work to win it after Brazil went 2 goals behind.

IRL

1992 Denmark winner of EC

2004 Greece winner of EC

South Korea and Turkey reached far stages of the WC 2002

Uruguay Copa America winners 2011 and best south american team in the 2010 WC

Ghana 2010 WC

France in the last place in group A WC 2010, France defeated by Senegal WC 2002

Italy finishing in the last place in group F WC 2010 as reigning champions

International football is full of surprises ( I remember Liechtenstein - Portugal 2-2 )

in my game in FM 2011

Turkey has reached the finals of European Championship two times, Scotland once, also Turkey reached one final in the World Cup, and finished third in another, this making Turkey the most surprising dominating country in my game

Wow, a whole two WINNERS from you. Not in the WC though a?

Look at athos7 post.

It's happened a lot in fm 11 too.

Also didn't you see on mine they beat England in the final?

How does this make it more than one competition win?

Belgium winning one World Cup is a surprise, yes, but it's still just a one off like Greece in 2004 or Denmark in 1992. If you came back and said the WC winners in your game looked like the list below then I would be seriously concerned about the game.

2014 - Belgium

2018 - Vanuatu

2022 - San Marino

2026 - England ;)

Until this happens, the game is fine.

There have been millions of World Cup 2014's played by users of FM12 since it was released, are you seriously saying that it should be impossible for Belgium or other smaller nations to win it? I would certainly prefer that not to be hard-coded. If it happened very frequently I would agree with you that it should be looked at, but it happens at a similar rate in my experience to reality.

As others have said, Greece in 2004 when they were rank outsiders and Denmark in 1992 when they didn't even qualify before playing in the tournament are major examples of the smallest team in the competition winning major international tournaments and I am sure there are examples in other continents. It happens relatively often, and is definitely not a bug

This is the important bit to note. There have been millions of WC2014's so it's hardly surprising that you get some surprising winners, otherwise the game would be predictable and boring.

Archived