Distribution of Wealth

There's some disagreement about how much he's exactly earning. Basically a lot of places reported him as earning between €15m-€20m a season, but Anzhi themselves say that it's much less, so I think the Russian researcher had to guess.

You can raise the issue here if you think that it is wrong.

One of the frustrating things about managing Anzhi is that, even though the club signed a player like Eto'o in real life, it's almost impossible to sign anyone else of that level. They just flat-out reject you. I agree they probably wouldn't choose a move to Russia in their absolute prime, but around the age of 30 it should be a little easier to sign Eto'o-level players than it actually is.

I'm season four, which is my first with Anzhi. My reputation is continental thanks to success with Panathinaikos. Arshavin is 33 and out in the cold at Arsenal. You'd think Anzhi was made for him at this stage, but he won't consider it.

I have signed a 38 year-old Clarence Seedorf, though!

I think it was a bad decision that SI removed the option to offer a contract to players who say they are not interested. It used to be possible to sway them by throwing ridiculous amounts of money at them (much like Anzhi are doing now), but now they won't even listen to offers - and keep rotting in the reserves or on a free transfer.

I think it was a bad decision that SI removed the option to offer a contract to players who say they are not interested. It used to be possible to sway them by throwing ridiculous amounts of money at them (much like Anzhi are doing now), but now they won't even listen to offers - and keep rotting in the reserves or on a free transfer.

Well said. It also seems like the "Anzhi phenomenon", as I would call it, hasn't been fully recognised by the game. I'm not saying I should be able to sign whoever I like. But I just think it's too hard to sign players of Eto'o's level, even at an age when you'd expect them to be amenable to it, even though Eto'o proves it's possible in real life.

I agree. You can imagine the conversation Eto'o had with his agent:

Agent: Anzhi in Russia want to sign you.

Eto'o: Who are Anzhi Makachakawakalaka? In Russia? Pfft....

Agent: They've offered £300k per week though

Eto'o: Whats the Russian for "Yippee!!!"?

Well said. It also seems like the "Anzhi phenomenon", as I would call it, hasn't been fully recognised by the game. I'm not saying I should be able to sign whoever I like. But I just think it's too hard to sign players of Eto'o's level, even at an age when you'd expect them to be amenable to it, even though Eto'o proves it's possible in real life.

Exactly my concern. Eto'o's dubiously low wage in the game is just another manifestation of the fact that FM is not taking Anzhi's aspirations seriously. I suppose it was the same with Man City at first.

The inability to sign fading stars is a persistent issue, though.

Exactly my concern. Eto'o's dubiously low wage in the game is just another manifestation of the fact that FM is not taking Anzhi's aspirations seriously.

This may be a situation similar to when Beckham came to America on this supposedly massive contract worth dozens of millions per year; his actually salary is in the $6.5 million/year range, with the rest coming from image rights and the like. Perhaps Eto'o has a similar arrangement?

Archived