AI transfer policy

Why is the game set up to make the AI teams hoard players? United spending a lot of money, Fellaini, Modric come to mind straight away, Arsenal buying experienced players when we all know Wenger prefers young boys and building them up, Tottenham signing a lot of foreign players whereas Harry prefers British.....Basically my point is that the AI transfers don't seem to be that realistic

Because the code simply tells AI to buy the player with the highest CA/PA/reputation for the position that it needs, and if that player isn't available, then go for the 2nd highest player. AI doesn't take into account how the player or the team plays.

Because the code simply tells AI to buy the player with the highest CA/PA/reputation for the position that it needs, and if that player isn't available, then go for the 2nd highest player. AI doesn't take into account how the player or the team plays.
Which is why a player in my current game is getting zero interest from any club despite scoring 25 goals a season in of the last 4 seasons, he's sole reason that Burnley have not only survive in the EPL but also challenged for European qualification in the last 2 seasons.

This is onrealistic and a pity. Its the same with managers, Barcelona would never ever get Ancelotti to be their manager cause they prefer Spanish managers who have a history at Barca itself, and so on in the game there are many other things in the transfer system that stroke with the real life reality of the game. But I am sure at some point in the future SI will look at this ... at least I hope so ... cause last year there were also a lot of threads about the AI transfers.

Meh... Managers DO have traits that should dictate some rough guidelines for preferred transfer habits...

Too bad they still look more like cosmetic additions than actual factors... Also I'd say it's the usual Britishcentrism in FM... outside of the U.K. most managers don't really have "policies" besides their loyalty to a specific formation and the transfers are taken care of by either the Chairman or the Director of Football...

So I think the actual aspect to fix and improve is the CLUB TRANSFER POLICY rather than the manager's.

2 points here from me:

1. I think it would be a fantastic idea if managers had preferences. Each manager doesn't have to be individual, but it could be from a set amount of options, such as "prefers homegrown players", "prefers players from his own nationality", "prefers young players", "prefers to buy the best players available". Would be pretty easy to code compared to some of the other features in the game to be honest, and would make it interesting. Re-gen managers can just have random ones.

2. The way AI buy players is just wrong. If I have a player that has scored 30+ goals in a season, regardless of whether or not he's actually that good with his attributes, then teams should be buying him. IRL managers can't physically see attributes, they scout and they see the player performing well and scoring goals week in, week out. The AI, like us, should make good and bad signings as a result.

2 points here from me:

1. I think it would be a fantastic idea if managers had preferences. Each manager doesn't have to be individual, but it could be from a set amount of options, such as "prefers homegrown players", "prefers players from his own nationality", "prefers young players", "prefers to buy the best players available". Would be pretty easy to code compared to some of the other features in the game to be honest, and would make it interesting. Re-gen managers can just have random ones.

2. The way AI buy players is just wrong. If I have a player that has scored 30+ goals in a season, regardless of whether or not he's actually that good with his attributes, then teams should be buying him. IRL managers can't physically see attributes, they scout and they see the player performing well and scoring goals week in, week out. The AI, like us, should make good and bad signings as a result.

If you go into the editor and look at which attributes can be applied to a manager and other staff, you will see that what you suggest in 1) is already in the game. The issue is not that they don't have preferences, but that they don't have plans for the future.

About 2), average rating and other performances are taken into account when the AI considers a player, it is just that here too the AI's "desire" to improve the team is not formalized enough. They don't actually decide to get rid of player x and buy player y for the money they have. The same thing happens also with contract negotiations and when they have a bid negotiated. There is no structure in place that would enable them to "stretch" in order to sign or keep a player, and to kick a useless player out of the team. The player's aren't eager enough to move on either, so therefore there are extremely few players moving clubs in this game compared to real life.

I guess SI is struggling to balance the transfer market properly, and that is understandable since one minor change can create total chaos.

If you go into the editor and look at which attributes can be applied to a manager and other staff, you will see that what you suggest in 1) is already in the game. The issue is not that they don't have preferences, but that they don't have plans for the future.

About 2), average rating and other performances are taken into account when the AI considers a player, it is just that here too the AI's "desire" to improve the team is not formalized enough. They don't actually decide to get rid of player x and buy player y for the money they have. The same thing happens also with contract negotiations and when they have a bid negotiated. There is no structure in place that would enable them to "stretch" in order to sign or keep a player, and to kick a useless player out of the team. The player's aren't eager enough to move on either, so therefore there are extremely few players moving clubs in this game compared to real life.

I guess SI is struggling to balance the transfer market properly, and that is understandable since one minor change can create total chaos.

What preferences are already in the game regarding point 1, because I haven't noticed any transfer preferences in the game at all, it just seems to be big signings and some young signings across the board.

I also haven't really noticed anything with regards to performances earning a move to a club, when they actually aren't that good. The only game I remember this really happening was CM01/02 when you could have an average player play well, and lots of teams want to come in for him.

I think average ratings affect reputation which gets the player noticed by more AI clubs and pushes his value up. I have done a little experiment on this and while not conclusive I leads me to think that for low CA overachievers its possible to be in a position where their value and reputation stop smaller clubs from bidding but their lack of CA stops bigger clubs also. So you end up with good performers receiving no attention from anybody.

OP point One, I have said the same thing there arn't enough preferences in the manager AI to ensure they buy players suitable for their tactics nor can they adapt their tactics to their players sufficiently.

and Biggus I totally agree that a lack of forethought cripples the AI in many ways.

Archived