Internet connection?

Haven't got the game yet, but I wanted to check something before I get it. On the blurb for the game it says that an internet connection is required to play the game. Does this mean that you need a permanent internet connection whenever you want to play, or is it just for installation and update purposes?

If you choose to install the game using Steam then you will need to log into steam every time you want to play, and that does require a permanent internet connection.

If you choose to install the game without using Steam then I believe that you only need a working connection to authenticate the game when you install it, you can play the game without a connection.

I'm pretty sure that is right but it may not be 100% as I have used Steam for the game for the last 3 years.

Steam is a platform for purchasing and downloading games to your machine. Once you purchase a game for your account, you can (for the most part) download that game to any machine your account has access to. Steam also provides automatic updates, so you'll always be patched to the latest version for all your games.

With Football Manager, you can buy the game on disc and then use Steam to do the authentication. You don't need a permanent internet connection however: Once you've authenticated you can set Steam to offline mode and still be able to play your games. The important thing to note here is that You must initially be on-line to set Steam to offline mode. After that, you can play FM where ever you take your laptop (or desktop).

You can buy the game from 2 ways:

a) The usual, go to the store, and buy the dvd

b) go to steam website, pay the game (it's the same price), and download it. The download and instalation are made from there. Then, everytime you want to play the game, you log on to steam (from a platfrom that is install in your pc), and play the game.

After that, if you like, you can search the forum for the 45258785174588 threads about the advantages and disadvantages of each ways ;)

The important thing to note here is that You must initially be on-line to set Steam to offline mode. After that, you can play FM where ever you take your laptop (or desktop).

You don't need to be online to set it to offline, if you have no internet connection, just load up FM, and it will say Start Steam in Offline Mode, or something along those lines, click yes, it'll do it that way. I know this as I used to do it when I had no internet for a while.

You don't need to be online to set it to offline, if you have no internet connection, just load up FM, and it will say Start Steam in Offline Mode, or something along those lines, click yes, it'll do it that way. I know this as I used to do it when I had no internet for a while.

You need to do the initial 'Set offline mode' while you are connected to Steam. After that, you can restart to your heart's content and to continue to play off line when Steam prompts you to sign in or start in offline mode. I found this out the hard way =)

The way to test this is to first be connected to Steam, then switch off your internet connection and then set Steam to offline mode. In my version, it would complain it couldn't contact the Steam server. It might have been updated since then.

You need to do the initial 'Set offline mode' while you are connected to Steam. After that, you can restart to your heart's content and to continue to play off line when Steam prompts you to sign in or start in offline mode. I found this out the hard way =)

The way to test this is to first be connected to Steam, then switch off your internet connection and then set Steam to offline mode. In my version, it would complain it couldn't contact the Steam server. It might have been updated since then.

Can honestly say I don't ever remember doing that on mine, but my memory isn't the best, and it's been a while, if I'm wrong, I'll happily apologise.

Can honestly say I don't ever remember doing that on mine, but my memory isn't the best, and it's been a while, if I'm wrong, I'll happily apologise.

No need to apologise in any circumstances :) I've sworn by this routine for the last year but it may have been fixed by Steam since then. I'm just too nervous to try it any other way :)

Buy the dvd, i will never buy off steam again so inconsistent. Everytime i try to play it offline it just keeps coming up error when i press offline, I think i have got to play it once offline!

As for internet with multiplayer such a good feature but is awful due to there being no servers :'(

This.

The only thing you need to do is have your Steam password saved which needs to be done whilst connected to the internet. Once saved you'll be able to select "offline" mode if not connected.

Archived