Clear Cut Chances

I wasn't sure if I should stick this in here or the match engine forum, thought I'd try here for better response.

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but are we meant to be able to infer anything from the CCC stat? I ask because (playing as Man Utd, generally with Rooney and Berbatov up front, although strikers aren't the only culprits) in my last three games my team has created nine clear cut chances but only once has the ball ended up in the back of the net. This isn't just a run of bad form, it's been a problem all season (coming up to December of first season now), this is just an example.

I have read on here that one-on-ones generally have a fairly low conversion rate, which is fair enough, but the chances aren't exclusively limited to one-on-ones. So I'm wondering if there's a probability associated with this (i.e. x CCCs should produce y goals).

In a slight tangent, is there similar association with shots/shots on target. A quick look at the Opta stats page on the Sky Sports website tells me that the top teams (like Man Utd), roughly, will score about 15% of their shots and 33% of their shots on target. In my case it's 10% and 25% respectively. Are these linked? Is there a 'general' problem that can easily be solved?

Thanks.

There's a fair few threads going over this problem.

Short answer; it's screwed.

The amount of chances my world class strikers with composures of 17 actually miss is bordering on ridiculous and the game has become a total bore because of it. Same old scenario, players through on goal and we all know what happens next don't we. In fairness it does happen to the AI as well but it still doesn't mean it's not crap.

What I'm confused about is there was exactly the same problem on the patch before 10.3, and after 10.3 was released the finishing and game in general was spot on and now we are in exactly the same scenario for 11.2 waiting for the final FM11 patch.

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll go off topic and ask in here; when is the new patch out and has the awful finishing been addressed for it? I really can't take a football game seriously when my center backs out score my strikers. I've even put my worst center back on the far post so he doesn't score so many, it makes me feel dirty!

The new patch will out after the January transfer window and the finishing is not 'screwed' so there is no real problem to fix in the first place.

When I watch my strikers missing chance after chance, and the AI missing chance after chance, it's quite simply not working as it's supposed to. When me and a lot of other peoples defenders are out scoring there world class strikers, it's not working as it's supposed to, or do you think this is realistic? I hope to god this isn't how it's supposed to be anyway or the game has taken a serious nose dive.

And please don't try and tell me it's my tactics as I've used 4 very different and very successful tactics. Also, the AI is missing a lot of very simple chances with very different tactics so would that mean all the tactics were wrong? If that was the case and goals were only scored from a few positions when through on goal, then it's 'screwed'.

and in every thread the problem lies with the user.

Either they expect too much or their tactics can be improved.

Every thread eh? So there has never been a problem with FM.

All my tactics are extremely successful and strikers fail to score when through on goal, constantly.

I really hope that this issue is being taken seriously by SI because it is an issue.

Can't say ive had any problems... My strikers are still banging them in on the most recent patch 2 seasons in. I mean sure they miss a few chances but even Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov miss chances. lol

I made a thread a while ago and I had scored 1 goal after 22ccc's. I watched most of those chances and a majority of them were 1v1, according to the 3D match engine.

There are too many chances missed in this version. Maybe they need to tone down the amount of chances created or something, but they need to do something as I've seen a lot of complaints about it and it surely can't be everybody's tactics, can it?

Every thread eh? So there has never been a problem with FM.

All my tactics are extremely successful and strikers fail to score when through on goal, constantly.

I really hope that this issue is being taken seriously by SI because it is an issue.

Every thread where this is brought up in GD you can see clearly its either tactical or the user expects a far higher level of CCCs to be scored than what happens in the real world.

What % of clear chances do you expect your striker to score?

For the users involved I hope they take on board the advice offered to them, re-evaluate their expectations and improve their tactics so they can enjoy the game more.

1st striker who has finishing of 16 and composure of 17, he's basically world class. He's hit 60% of his shots on target and scored 5 in 15.

2nd striker has finishing of 17 and composure of 15, again, a quality striker. He's hit 56% on target with 5 goals in 15.

It's got to the point where strikers go through on goal and I know whats going to happen.

10.3 was absolutely perfect in my opinion and this is nothing like that what so ever. Something has changed and not for the better.

Do your defenders really out score your world class strikers?

I have had no problem getting Bent and Gyan to score at least 50 goals between them each season.

They do. I've actually stopped putting them on the far post for corners as it's just no fun.

I don't actually have a problem scoring goals, I have a problem putting away ccc's. Something isn't right.

1st striker who has finishing of 16 and composure of 17, he's basically world class. He's hit 60% of his shots on target and scored 5 in 15.

2nd striker has finishing of 17 and composure of 15, again, a quality striker. He's hit 56% on target with 5 goals in 15.

This is exactly the point, both of those are fairly average and not a problem at all.

EDIT

Sorry I'll rephrase the shots on target are ok.

The 15 is that games or chances?

I am not sure what you are doing wrong maybe you are just incredibly unlucky.

My first striker has 44 percent on target and he has 22 goals in 34 games. He has 15 finishing and 14 composure.

Second striker has 59 percent on target with 10 goals in 20 games he has 16 for both but is more of a deep creative striker.

Third striker has 52 percent on target and 9 goals in 12 games with 15 for both.

My inside forward has 56 percent on target and he has 19 goals in 38 matches and he has 13 for finishing and 14 for composure.

This is exactly the point, both of those are fairly average and not a problem at all.

Whats fairly average? 2 world class strikers scoring 10 goals between them in 30 games? It's a poor poor ratio.

I don't have a problem scoring goals, my strikers have problems scoring 1v1's.

I am not sure what you are doing wrong maybe you are just incredibly unlucky.

My first striker has 44 percent on target and he has 22 goals in 34 games. He has 15 finishing and 14 composure.

Second striker has 59 percent on target with 10 goals in 20 games he has 16 for both but is more of a deep creative striker.

Third striker has 52 percent on target and 9 goals in 12 games with 15 for both.

My inside forward has 56 percent on target and he has 19 goals in 38 matches and he has 13 for finishing and 14 for composure.

My strikers get chances, my team scores a lot of goals and wins everything, so I'm at a loss as to how it can be my tactics when my tactics quite clearly work.

Whats fairly average? 2 world class strikers scoring 10 goals between them in 30 games? It's a poor poor ratio.

I don't have a problem scoring goals, my strikers have problems scoring 1v1's.

I've edited my post, didn't notice you meant games not chances.

Games mean nothing in terms of stats, post some meaningful ones and you haven't answered what % you expect them to score?

There are many chances classified as CCC's that aren't that "clear".. namely shots at the edge of the box(even free kicks at the edge count as CCC),headers from difficult angles,etc.

Having said that, in my opinion there are still many chances where the striker is on the clear with a LOT of time and space to pick a finish only to shoot it straight at the keeper, i don't expect to always finish if he's got a defender really close or if the angle is bad and it's on his weaker foot,etc..

My strikers get chances, my team scores a lot of goals and wins everything, so I'm at a loss as to how it can be my tactics when my tactics quite clearly work.

I didn't mean to imply it was your tactics, can I ask who are your strikers?

There are many chances classified as CCC's that aren't that "clear".. namely shots at the edge of the box(even free kicks at the edge count as CCC),headers from difficult angles,etc.

Having said that, in my opinion there are still many chances where the striker is on the clear with a LOT of time and space to pick a finish only to shoot it straight at the keeper, i don't expect to always finish if he's got a defender really close or if the angle is bad and it's on his weaker foot,etc..

Just to clear something up.

The striker doesn't shoot straight at the keeper this is simply down to the limitations of the graphics. There is only a limited number of animations and if the ME calculates the keeper saves & holds the shot it simply picks the animation that you see - the striker kicking the ball directly at the keeper.

In terms of chances, in RL strikers miss more than they score, even in good situations.

I didn't mean to imply it was your tactics, can I ask who are your strikers?

I know you didn't, I was just saying as a few people seem to think it's a problem with my tactics.

My main strikers are Suazo, Roux and Gameiro. I edited there composure and finishing with FMRTE to see if it would make any difference to there strike rate but it's made no difference at all, they still miss the same amount of chances as they did before which has lead me to believe that there is a problem with 1v1's. I would go as far as saying that it proves there is a problem.

Just to clear something up.

The striker doesn't shoot straight at the keeper this is simply down to the limitations of the graphics. There is only a limited number of animations and if the ME calculates the keeper saves & holds the shot it simply picks the animation that you see - the striker kicking the ball directly at the keeper.

In terms of chances, in RL strikers miss more than they score, even in good situations.

But if you didn't use the 3D match engine the commentary would still say that the player was through on goal and either the keeper had saved it, he put it wide or he hit the post which would still be him missing chance after chance.

Do they have good technique and decisions? You should try adding places ball PPM if they don't already have it, just to see if it makes any difference most of my strikers have that PPM and it is visible during one on ones that they have it.

Do they have good technique and decisions? You should try adding places ball PPM if they don't already have it, just to see if it makes any difference most of my strikers have that PPM and it is visible during one on ones that they have it.

They have decent technique and decisions, 16 tekkers (sorry, couldn't resist), and 14 decisions on both players.

I'll try adding places shots and see what happens.

They have decent technique and decisions, 16 tekkers (sorry, couldn't resist), and 14 decisions on both players.

I'll try adding places shots and see what happens.

lol, I almost put it myself.

It might not make a difference but Darren Bent when in a one on one situations places the ball into the bottom corner quite a lot.

When I watch my strikers missing chance after chance, and the AI missing chance after chance, it's quite simply not working as it's supposed to. When me and a lot of other peoples defenders are out scoring there world class strikers, it's not working as it's supposed to, or do you think this is realistic? I hope to god this isn't how it's supposed to be anyway or the game has taken a serious nose dive.

And please don't try and tell me it's my tactics as I've used 4 very different and very successful tactics. Also, the AI is missing a lot of very simple chances with very different tactics so would that mean all the tactics were wrong? If that was the case and goals were only scored from a few positions when through on goal, then it's 'screwed'.

Why would I bother telling you it's your tactics when you would not listen to anything I had to say. What your describing I'm not seeing in save games I've had but feel free to ramble on about it.

At a guess you are probably using the corner exploit which is why your defenders are out scoring your strikers.

I know you didn't, I was just saying as a few people seem to think it's a problem with my tactics.

My main strikers are Suazo, Roux and Gameiro. I edited there composure and finishing with FMRTE to see if it would make any difference to there strike rate but it's made no difference at all, they still miss the same amount of chances as they did before which has lead me to believe that there is a problem with 1v1's. I would go as far as saying that it proves there is a problem.

The best thing to do would be to post up a couple of pkms then we can see what you're seeing.

EDIT

Placing shots PPM is something that I have seen a noticeable improvement with in players.

Maybe I will send a letter to Manchester City, saying money is not the way to go about it....it's the tactic!!!

World class players has little to no effect in it's current state, it is the tactic, and thats exactly what is wrong.

Not sure what type of football you play in England, but it makes sense it took 30 years to win something in Europe.

To the OP, try and lower the tempo way more than what would be logic, just tested it, and seems to work fairly well...

The best thing to do would be to post up a couple of pkms then we can see what you're seeing.

EDIT

Placing shots PPM is something that I have seen a noticeable improvement with in players.

Yes, it helps considerably on their finishing..

The problem comes with the ones that refuse to learn that PPM :\

I just changed 2 of my strikers to places shots and in the following match 1 striker scored and the other missed 3 guilt edged chances and ended up with a 6.5 rating. I won the game 4-1 with 2 central midfielders getting the other 3 goals. I'll play a few more matches and see how it pans out.

Erm, are you saying that if you have world class players then tactics don't matter? Because if you are man cities team last year would have steam rollered the league and the 'gallacticos' era at Madrid would have been there most successful, rather than an unmitigated disaster.

Why would I bother telling you it's your tactics when you would not listen to anything I had to say. What your describing I'm not seeing in save games I've had but feel free to ramble on about it.

At a guess you are probably using the corner exploit which is why your defenders are out scoring your strikers.

Actually, I'm all ears as to what the problem could be but you seemed to have dismissed my problem from your first post in here anyway, so please, don't let me bore you with anymore of my rambling as there's plenty of people in here willing to help me out. :thup:

Actually, I'm all ears as to what the problem could be but you seemed to have dismissed my problem from your first post in here anyway, so please, don't let me bore you with anymore of my rambling as there's plenty of people in here willing to help me out. :thup:

and the best way for us to help you out is to post a pkm & a screenshot of your tactics.

Because it results in an unrealistic high level of goals which means there is a weakness in the ME in this area.

Does the AI use it though? Southampton on my save have twice as many goals as any other team from corners after 45 games with 20 goals if that was a human manager people would say he was exploiting the game.

Does the AI use it though? Southampton on my save have twice as many goals as any other team from corners after 45 games with 20 goals if that was a human manager people would say he was exploiting the game.

I would certainly be concerned if I was scoring double any other team in the league.

Last year SI restricted the orders the AI could give at corners and if a lot of users are finding this happening perhaps its something they'll look at again for the next patch.

Yes from what I have seen some teams do and some don't it depends on the standard of league. In the premiership I have found it does not happen as often as say in League One where if you have a great headerer of the ball you score a lot more than you should.

For instance with Southampton they have Radhi Jaidi whose stats are fantastic in heading, jumping and strength compared to most other defenders in League One so he would score a barrel load of goals at that level.

It's been in FM Live for ages.

If your defender is a lot taller than the rest of the league he will score a ridiculous amount of goals the problem seems to come from that.. i remember on a save on FM10 with BATE where i had a defender with jumping 18 and he just banged tons of them with the same routine.

Right now my CB is scoring 5-10 goals per season which i think it's still excessive but it's around the same amount of goals that the AI top teams score from corners on the league.

Hmmpf, my strikers are my most prolific scorers followed by my AMC (usually play 4312 with 3 mcs 1 amc). Sure they do miss loads of chances but that's to be expected. My main striker is a godlike regen who is basically good at everything and he noticably scores more 1 on 1's than my 2nd striker. That guy came through my own youth academy and started with composure 5. He's managed to get it up to 13 now that he's turned 21 years old so I'm quite pleased with that (and hiis description is now 'World class striker')but he does tend to miss when he's got loads of time. I can post a screenie of my team's scorers later when I get back home.

I've just kept the corners on default. My centre back going for the far post does score quite a bit but not excessively so and I see a lot of diversity in scorers from corners. In one game my left back actually scored from one to win the game for me in the 94th minute! I'd have to check my game for last season's stats (at work now) but I suspect I score most corners in the league.

Yes from what I have seen some teams do and some don't it depends on the standard of league. In the premiership I have found it does not happen as often as say in League One where if you have a great headerer of the ball you score a lot more than you should.

For instance with Southampton they have Radhi Jaidi whose stats are fantastic in heading, jumping and strength compared to most other defenders in League One so he would score a barrel load of goals at that level.

It's been in FM Live for ages.

To be fair after checking their team despite scoring 20 goals from corners 4 of their defenders have 3 goals each so maybe they were lucky.

Archived