Am I just utter tripe at this game?

I am starting to feel like I am just terrible at FM.

I've start the game as Leeds United, I watch every single match on full, constantly tweak my tactics when I see problems and try to fix them (unfortunately my tweaks never seem to work). I'm struggling to keep myself above the relegation zone 10 games in but I am having fun.

On the other hand, the forum seems to be covered in people who have won the europa/champions league in their first season with some obscure european team.

I feel like I am just terrible, I'm also not the type of player who can climb from BSN/BSS to the Premiership with promotions every season.

it's just finding the right tactics to fit your team mate. there's times i struggle like that and times i win things.

I have spent the first 10 games trying to get my tactic to work for my best XI! But I just can't get things to click :(

This happens every year and I resort to using downloaded tactics and buy players for those tactics... but this year I don't want to throw in the towel... but I'm giving up hope, nothing I do seems to work.

I have spent the first 10 games trying to get my tactic to work for my best XI! But I just can't get things to click :(

This happens every year and I resort to using downloaded tactics and buy players for those tactics... but this year I don't want to throw in the towel... but I'm giving up hope, nothing I do seems to work.

if im honest im currently using a downloaded tactic but on the demo i started as Leeds and used my own and after several games i was 5th. i used a 4-1-2-1-2 tactic. it was better at home but u also need to remember Leeds have only just been promoted.

if im honest im currently using a downloaded tactic but on the demo i started as Leeds and used my own and after several games i was 5th. i used a 4-1-2-1-2 tactic. it was better at home but u also need to remember Leeds have only just been promoted.

Regardless of that fact, everyone else on this forum seems to be superheroes at this.

You need the right players, at the end of the day FM is a game and as such getting the perfect setup tends to result in perfect results. Tactics apart most of the successful people on the forums almost always use the same system and players. If those work once, they will always work. I could say many cheat, I'm sure they do. So much FMRT and Editors around that anything is possible. Then they will always say they don't and some don't however they find the perfect balance and use it forever.

As long as you're enjoying the game that's the main thing but it probably means that to be successful you will have to sign players you wouldn't necessarily go for and likely a tactic you dislike but that makes the game lose each and every time.

In general, the best way to go about it, is to keep it as simple as possible. Take a standard tactic, and mod it a bit to fit your logic. If that doesn't sort out, you start tweaking it. I tried seasons where it never worked out as I wanted, and I think the hole Idea of the perfect tactic is a myth. There was a time yes, but those of us who played at that time, can hardly remember how old we are. :p

Anyways, my point is, it might work at a point, the other teams develop on the run as well, so what was a good defense one year, might not be sufficient the next. so slightly altering it on the run, is probably the only way.

The most common tactic is 4-4-2 it almost never fails, unless you alter it too much. direct play seems to work out best at the current state, I'm sure short can work well, but when you hit bad weather you might get in trouble, so as overall unless you are a micro manage freak, I'd suggest direct.

Never downloaded anything, never used an editor, cheating is cheating, no matter what colorful paper you put under the tree for Christmas.

So what is left....practice and hard work....then you might get lucky and win something. :)

In general, the best way to go about it, is to keep it as simple as possible. Take a standard tactic, and mod it a bit to fit your logic. If that doesn't sort out, you start tweaking it. I tried seasons where it never worked out as I wanted, and I think the hole Idea of the perfect tactic is a myth. There was a time yes, but those of us who played at that time, can hardly remember how old we are. :p

Anyways, my point is, it might work at a point, the other teams develop on the run as well, so what was a good defense one year, might not be sufficient the next. so slightly altering it on the run, is probably the only way.

The most common tactic is 4-4-2 it almost never fails, unless you alter it too much. direct play seems to work out best at the current state, I'm sure short can work well, but when you hit bad weather you might get in trouble, so as overall unless you are a micro manage freak, I'd suggest direct.

Never downloaded anything, never used an editor, cheating is cheating, no matter what colorful paper you put under the tree for Christmas.

So what is left....practice and hard work....then you might get lucky and win something. :)

I've started with a 4-1-2-1-2 (442 diamond with tight narrow central mids), I shifted some players around in the summer and my MCs are much better than my wing players.

I don't think your cack, but perhaps your expectations are too high. I reckon going a team like Leeds isn't going to be easy and you're not going to get instant success, in that sense the game is realistic. I'm going Wolves right now and I'm just starting december of my first season. I'm 10th right now but it's a close league and there is no way I'll stay there, I've had a few lucky result and got right embarrassed a few times. I'll be happy to stay up and feel very chuffed if I'm near mid-table. There's no way I expect to go a team like Wolves and win the prem in my first season or get champs lge spot. It does happen but only rarely in my experience. If I wanted to win stuff instantly I'd have gone Chelsea or Barca but I just don't find it satisfying to start out as a huge team like that, I prefer to build up to it after a long career.

I've played champ forever and I've always found it satisfying to do things with my own team, that is suffer for a few season then watch it all click. It might seem painful right now but imagine how good it will feel in a few seasons time when you get 'your' team up and do things with them.

If I could give you one peice of advice it's pick a tactic and stick to it, only ever change a couple of small things like where people stand at set peices. Let your team get used to how you want them to play. Seems to be more important than even in this version. I change formation from time to time but never my tactics.

I am starting to feel like I am just terrible at FM.

I've start the game as Leeds United, I watch every single match on full, constantly tweak my tactics when I see problems and try to fix them (unfortunately my tweaks never seem to work). I'm struggling to keep myself above the relegation zone 10 games in but I am having fun.

On the other hand, the forum seems to be covered in people who have won the europa/champions league in their first season with some obscure european team.

I feel like I am just terrible, I'm also not the type of player who can climb from BSN/BSS to the Premiership with promotions every season.

You must be playing in Maradona mode ;)

However, being serious, you should just keep at it. Don't give up. Let your players get used to your tactics and to each other. Also, keep an eye on squad harmony. It it's too low, then your team will play erratically, even though their morale may be superb.

You must be playing in Maradona mode ;)

However, being serious, you should just keep at it. Don't give up. Let your players get used to your tactics and to each other. Also, keep an eye on squad harmony. It it's too low, then your team will play erratically, even though their morale may be superb.

Morale is horrible, I'm one game away from the sack sitting just above the relegation zone (gone 9 games without a win).

In general, the best way to go about it, is to keep it as simple as possible. Take a standard tactic, and mod it a bit to fit your logic. If that doesn't sort out, you start tweaking it.

That's my philosophy as well. I think its mainly about finding the right players, getting their morale high, and getting them to mesh well. Its not easy but its mostly common sense.

Whoa that was tense!

Went 1-0 down in the first half and thought right, this is my Leeds career over.

2nd half I put it on overload, take more risks, work ball into box, get ball forward.

Won 2-1

I'm still manager.

WHOO!

This is what it should be like! You're enjoying it! Seriously, don't worry, Leeds are dead bottom on my game so you're not doing that bad. Just keep plugging away and it will get easier as the season goes on, the most important thing to do it to not give up.

You sound like you want to get better, and nobody gets better by getting lucky with a downloaded tactic and a big transfer budget.

You will get better by having a tough time and learning from it, that is how all the people you see winning the CL learnt. Keep going!

I'm sure 99% of every hero on this forum who wins everything in their first season 'cheat' by reloading a saved game if they lose a match. They are most likely also using someone else's tactic they've downloaded from somewhere and then think they're super awesome. Ignorant fools have never been any good material for a football manager (even though we have a couple of them irl) and you seem to be working hard and earning your experience the right way.

Just keep at it and ignore the 'cheaters'. You'll be better for it. And Leeds will thank you for it. :D

Let's be honest, 99% of the time, they're probably cheating!

Nobody can do that on FM. If they are able to do it then they are cheating - it's as simple as that from my point of view!

Let's be honest, 99% of the time, they're probably cheating!

Nobody can do that on FM. If they are able to do it then they are cheating - it's as simple as that from my point of view!

This man talks sense. :thup:

Actually Crouchy I'll likely be looking for some tactical help sooner rather than later. I know you're always up for a good tactical debate. Watch out for a thread in T&T with my name on! :D

Re: the 'everyone is superheroes' statement.

Is the game 'too easy' for some?

All incarnations of the game, I start with Spurs and it can take me 2 or 3 seasons to get it right. First season, finish just outside the top 4 or even lower - although in recent years, possibly off the back of Spurs having better players, my first season has been far better because of the better quality squad.

Any ways, FM2011 - I'm 22 games unbeaten in all comps. Top of the table, 5 points clear.

I actually hope I become unstuck soon so that there is a longer term challenge.

Don't constantly tweak.
I agree, you can do too much. When i play i am always Torquay and i take a while to get into it and finally get promotion, i'm currently playing FM10 and it's taken five years to get to the championship, but im there by basic football, signing a couple of likely lads and taking risks on a couple of youngsters and old boys for experience. Lets face it if you take on Man u, or Barca your're not going to struggle unless you ahave never played fm!

Archived