Falls from grace/Fairytale promotions

Bosson

Do you like to see big teams fall and little teams rise in FM10?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to see big teams fall and little teams rise in FM10?

• Yes, makes each game unique and interesting
    • No, kills the realism
    • Don't care one way or t'other
    • What are you on about?

Evening all,

Just wondering what people think of big clubs capitulating and little clubs coming up the pyramid in long term saves in FM10? Personally I love seeing a big team suffer for a while, but I know some people feel it kills some of the realism. So basically I'm bored off me arse, have a vote kids.

I'm with you I think it's great to see big teams fall from the top and smaller teams rise up. I don't think it takes anything away from the realism though, as has been said countless times before football is pretty much unpredictable and in 10 or 20 seasons time IRL anything could have happened that at the moment would seem unbelievable.

I'm not sure how it can kill the realism since it is all happening in the future, but I suppose there's an argument for it being unrealistic for 'big' clubs to fall too far in the pyramid. Small clubs rising seems fine though, we've seen that happen quite a bit over the last few years.

I don't think it does make it unrealistic, I mean Bradford have been all round the leagues in the last few years in real life. Notts County were in the top flight the season before the Premier League started in 1992 and quickly fell to the bottom tier, and for a while there looked like they could rise again. Even take Gretna in Scotland as a example of what can happen.

Don't think it could ever kill the realism as this happens in real life! Even my club Wolves not so long ago got taken over by an investor who looked to run the club into the ground (before it was 'ok') and we almost collapsed. In 6 seasons we went Division 1,2,3,4,3,2 (when Div 1 was what's now the Premiership) but could easily have gone 1,2,3,4,non-league...

I think it's great and adds some interest to long-term games.

It always seems to happen really unrealistically in my games though. Or at least, when the smaller clubs move upwards anyway.

In one of my FM09 saves, Team Bath were taken over by a tycoon from Chile and they hired Paul Merson who took them into the Football League. :D

In my main FM10 save, Weston-super-Mare got taken over by a tycoon from Singapore, and they are currently in League One. :D

Anyone who knows a little about these two clubs will understand what I'm saying.

It's really fun when big teams drop down a few divisions. Great challenge to bring them back to the top, I reckon. :thup:

Alfreton Town are in the Championship in 2032 in my save, they've been there for a few seasons now. Rushden & Diamonds were briefly there too, but have since dropped back to League Two.

In the other direction, Grimsby Town dropped all the way to the Northern Premier League First Division South but have climbed back up to Conference North. Wigan Athletic are in League Two.

Alfreton Town are in the Championship in 2032 in my save, they've been there for a few seasons now. Rushden & Diamonds were briefly there too, but have since dropped back to League Two.

In the other direction, Grimsby Town dropped all the way to the Northern Premier League First Division South but have climbed back up to Conference North. Wigan Athletic are in League Two.

Who are you managing at the moment Nobby? Tempted to take Wigan back to the top if the job comes available?

I think it's great and adds some interest to long-term games.

It always seems to happen really unrealistically in my games though. Or at least, when the smaller clubs move upwards anyway.

In one of my FM09 saves, Team Bath were taken over by a tycoon from Chile and they hired Paul Merson who took them into the Football League. :D

In my main FM10 save, Weston-super-Mare got taken over by a tycoon from Singapore, and they are currently in League One. :D

Anyone who knows a little about these two clubs will understand what I'm saying.

It's really fun when big teams drop down a few divisions. Great challenge to bring them back to the top, I reckon. :thup:

This can happen though Crouchy.

Over the last six years Yeovil and Dagenham have come up from non-league to do well (as did Boston) and Doncaster are mixing it in the Championship. If teams get money or the right backing or (in Dagenham's case) a good manager then they will go up. Look at Blackpool or Luton, Rotherham and Gillingham from a few years ago. I think the only issue is that SOME of the big clubs can collapse too quickly sometimes.

This can happen though Crouchy.

Over the last six years Yeovil and Dagenham have come up from non-league to do well (as did Boston) and Doncaster are mixing it in the Championship. If teams get money or the right backing or (in Dagenham's case) a good manager then they will go up. Look at Blackpool or Luton, Rotherham and Gillingham from a few years ago. I think the only issue is that SOME of the big clubs can collapse too quickly sometimes.

I realise that, of course. You've missed the bit where I said 'anyone who knows a little about these two clubs will understand what I'm saying'. Especially Team Bath, which was hilarious! :p

The point is that it's the way that it is done in Football Manager that is unrealistic. Team Bath were in the Blue Square South and suddenly bought in a player for £1m and announced Paul Merson as their new manager. It's pretty funny when you think about it!

Weston-super-Mare have done the same more or less. Spent loads of money but not improved their facilities or invested in the club in any way. In FM, it's just a case of 'up pops a new owner' and the cash starts flowing. :D

I also don't see a plethora of foreign investors in Non-League clubs from the likes of Singapore and Chile etc.

That's what I mean by unrealistic. I've absolutely no complaints with the fact that it is possible for a Non-League club to make the Football League though. :thup:

I moved from England to Florida some 7 years ago and didn't pay a heck of a lot of attention to the Premier League until last year when my team (Burnley) won the playoff final in 2009.

I was shocked to see Wigan, Hull & Portsmouth in the Premier League. So, that goes to show that nothing is unrealistic over the course of 20+ years. If you had told me in 1990 that Morecambe, Accrington & Burton (to name just 3) would be League clubs, I'd have had you committed.

Lincoln City in League One and happy there.

Archived