The future of football manager

i read in a forum in another fm website that someone had the idea of taking football manager from a game that just focusses on managment and turning it into a game were you complete your entire career starting as a youth footballer looking for a new club.

i understand there are some difficulties with how exactly you would go around being a player but im sure the whiz kids behind the scenes could think of something.

im sure there could be some way of controlling a player with a computer keyboard and playing like 'be a pro' is in fifa

so i was thinking you start off as a player and you can choose your age say setting a maximum at 30 and you can choose to be whatever club you want recomemending a smaller club first.. you set training goals and work hard to develope new tricks as you try to catch your managers eye to put you in the starting 11. and you try and get yourself signed all the way to the top

after a successfull or non-successfull career as a player you have the option to of course retire or to become a manager, i think the option of being a coach, scout or assistant manager should also be available and it wouldnt be too hard to think of goals you need to complete in these roles

i think also you should be able to create players or managers that arnt in the game like if you wanted to create your mate and make him your right hand man.

some improvements that need to be made to the game are that unemployed managers should accept coaching roles at clubs if the appropriate wage is offered because theres no way in real life someone like steve mcmahon or ronnie whelan would turn down a non management role with liverpool if i offered them one just because theyd prefer to manage a team? noone ever approaches them anyway?

i think the option of becoming caretaker manager should be made available and that you can be offered the job as caretaker or negioate your way to this role.

once your managment career is over you should be able to become like a director of football and have different goals again than the manager and then after that saying that your career earnings already get added up you should be able to use these funds to buy a club and become owner or chairman or something and once again have a different role and also have the overall say in things including picking the manager and transfers to a certain extent

and even if you dont go for creating a game that allows you to be a player i think you should alow us when starting a new game to fill in our own career stats and say which teams we played for in which years and how many games and goals we got and also be able to choose the amount of international caps we got. i also wish we could have a 'favoured personal' section like the others do and we could fill in the people we have gotten on with during our careers.

also its not fair that when teams look to sign your star players they only go as high as around 30m but if you look to sign a star player from a different team it goes up to around 100m

It would be realistic if they ask you enter your real age/height/weight etc.

Boy! In that case, no one will hire me even as a club janitor! :D

I remember the Player Manager game in Amiga500.

But seriously, playing as a player would need a totally redesigned game engine.

i think the option of being a player etc in fm is not one that will even be considered. Its what Fifa is for and there is no way that the game can run what yourself called a 'Be a Pro' version as well as keeping the management side as in depth as it needs to be.

The point of being a scout and coach etc is also a no go, i mean really, your going to sit there and watch 20 matches a week as a scout and say 'sign this guy'. I doubt it would be fun for very long.

Directors again is not going to happen. You say set goals for yourself, what would they be? What could you do as the director sitting at your pc? Not to mention that very little managers will go from retiring to director straight away, so i guess you would have to holiday for 20 seasons first? Buying a club also wouldnt work, not all clubs have owners, alot have presidents so cant be bought so it would limit the game too much as to what you can do.

i do, however, like the idea of filling in your own stats, i dont see a problem with that at all, providing it doesnt have too much influence on the game, like someone puts in 100000000000000000 goals for england makes every player want to sign for him.

The final point about the signings isnt a problem for me. Look at Bayern Munich for instance. They offerd 15 mil for Robben, Real ask about Ribery and they get told 110 million. It happens all the time, i dont have a problem with it at all.

To implement an actual playing side of the game would mean a complete redesign. The length of career needed to fulfil both playing and managerial roles would be far too long for the average FM player, most only play a few seasons before moving on. Having said that, if a game like that was ever developed and done well then it would definitely be one to look out for.

I loved Player Manager back in the Amiga days and I would love a good recreation of this model and certainly buy it.

But that would be completely different game than FM. I can't see how FM should have the capacity to combine it's traditional qualities with a player management game. Thus as much as I would love to see a great new player management game I would hate to see FM being transformed into one.

why are we geting these stupid ideas on forums its football manager not youth manager or chairmain manager

It isn't really a stupid idea when you consider that FMLive was spawned from FM. You may not agree with it, but there's no reason it cannot be discussed.

why are we geting these stupid ideas on forums its football manager not youth manager or chairmain manager

Because the other games which have those options are not as good as FM in what FM is about. Thus people who would like these options come here to advocate the best management game to include them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of them and they annoy me with their repeated queries which always lead to heated and fruitless discussion.

But I can see where they are coming from and preferring a different approach if fair enough.

I wouldnt mind inputting stats of my history. But everything else is a big no-no for me. Its called Football Manager for the sweetest simplist way that it is only a manager game. Not a Coach/Scout/Director/Player/Tea Lady.

Football Manager is a football management game. I think there's nothing wrong with the idea of starting as a youth player, progressing your career etc - but that is a good idea for a different game. Put it in FM you have two games stitched together (badly), no focus and will appeal to very few people.

I would however like to see the range of management options extended by allowing you to become an Assistant Manager or Director of Football. This would add more variation to long-term career games. For example, rather than start at a very small club as manager, one could be an Ass. Man at a slightly bigger club, maybe work your way up in the same fashion as someone such as Steve McClaren has done, by assisting at a top club. The AI board could judge you on things like progression of youth players, reserves results etc. With respect to the DoF role, this would be nice to have as an option where you've managed, for example, a long time at one club, have got a bit bored of the day to day drudgery and want to step back and let someone else do the work (I know you can holiday but its not the same thing).

The game concept is good in itself, but it's not football manager. I like the idea about taking on caretaker roles or like reserve team manager roles that are currently underdone. Would be nice perhaps to be appointed youth team manager and then make your way to first team manager.

Archived