Ridiculous bookings?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd say bookings for obstruction happen far, far too often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And penalties for obstructions! What's with that?

It seems to be my defenders that get booked most often. My 1 defender gets booked every match with a yellow card yet my center back gets red cards.

Bookings seem a bit too regular i'll admit.

The most annoying is when your best player, who's the most motivated, most sportsman-like player gets carded twice for diving even when the first purported dive was when he got whacked while near midfield and the second purported dive got him injured.

I've never seen a 'ridiculous' booking, but I had a match with Gretna where there was 11 bookings in the first 25 minutes, 2 of which were for the same player. 8 to Peterhead, 3 to me. Most of them just seemed to be regular stuff, slide tackings, tripped, shirt pulls etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by canvey!!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd say bookings for obstruction happen far, far too often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And penalties for obstructions! What's with that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Penalties for obstruction really annoy me on this game. It's not that they happen too often, although compared to real life you could say that once a season is too often, it's that it is plain wrong.

Obstruction is penalised with an indirect free-kick, therefore even in the box it would not result in a penalty, it would result in an indirect free-kick inside the box. There have been odd occurences of this in reaal life but it is very rare, however the rules are what they are. Why SI coded the Match Engine rules differently to real life I do not know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ruttsie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by canvey!!:

Penalties for obstruction really annoy me on this game. It's not that they happen too often, although compared to real life you could say that once a season is too often, it's that it is plain wrong.

Obstruction is penalised with an indirect free-kick, therefore even in the box it would not result in a penalty, it would result in an indirect free-kick inside the box. There have been odd occurences of this in reaal life but it is very rare, however the rules are what they are. Why SI coded the Match Engine rules differently to real life I do not know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure there was a post a while ago that mentioned/proved that obstruction is indeed a penalty offence in real life now.

This is another example of SI introducing new trends but failing to intoduce them in a subtle or realistic way.

The cynical fouls are ridiculous in 08- its not that they dont happen its because they are cynical and sneaky then a lot are missed, yet in FM the refs always spot them.

Its a good job the indirect freekicks are also poorly implemented otherwise scorelines would be ridiculous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ruttsie:

Obstruction is penalised with an indirect free-kick, therefore even in the box it would not result in a penalty, it would result in an indirect free-kick inside the box. There have been odd occurences of this in reaal life but it is very rare, however the rules are what they are. Why SI coded the Match Engine rules differently to real life I do not know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure there was a post a while ago that mentioned/proved that obstruction is indeed a penalty offence in real life now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Be interesting if this is the case, has anyone ever seen a penalty given for obstruction in real life?

I asked the a ref in our league (I play in an FA affiliated league so they should be using the proper FA rules) and he said that he didn't know so I don't think the rule on this is well known whichever way it goes, but thanks for the post Hershie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

I'm pretty sure there was a post a while ago that mentioned/proved that obstruction is indeed a penalty offence in real life now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After reading this topic, I had the urge to go and get my copy of 'Laws of Association Football - Season 2007-2008' (I'm a ref, if anybodies wondering why I'm sad enough to own one). icon_biggrin.gif

It says "an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee, impedes the progress of an opponent." So a penalty shouldn't be given.

I know, I'm a geek. icon_cool.gif

Archived