chances of keeping a clean sheet...?

I think I'm not the only one who finds it impossible to keep a clean sheet in FM2008 (yes, yes, .0.2...)

In my current game (Bath City in Blue Sq Prem) I concede or score a goal to a deflected direct free kick EVERY game. This didn't happen in previous seasons or games but the 'throw-it-away-and-reload-CM04' urge gets greater and greater. In the same game, FA Trophy results came back with among other socres 11-0, 1-9, 8-0, 6-3 and 5-4. As for 'nearpost flick-ons' from corners, don't get me started!

They are having a laugh, aren't they?Are we supposed to go out and buy FM09 just assuming it's better?

I think I'm not the only one who finds it impossible to keep a clean sheet in FM2008 (yes, yes, .0.2...)

In my current game (Bath City in Blue Sq Prem) I concede or score a goal to a deflected direct free kick EVERY game. This didn't happen in previous seasons or games but the 'throw-it-away-and-reload-CM04' urge gets greater and greater. In the same game, FA Trophy results came back with among other socres 11-0, 1-9, 8-0, 6-3 and 5-4. As for 'nearpost flick-ons' from corners, don't get me started!

They are having a laugh, aren't they?Are we supposed to go out and buy FM09 just assuming it's better?

No sure things here bro sorry. I manage 7 teams atm, from Man Utd to IFK hasselholm. If you leave a space or get something wrong, reguardless of the quality the AI has it will punish you.

I keep quite a few with most of my teams. But nothing is certain. Awesome players suk sometimes and garbage players excell. Try managing multilpe teams. You wanna see all the faults in the engine going from awesome to garbage teams.

Some very strange things in this game. SI are extremely lucky there are only so few people like me. Or they would be getting inundated with complaints. Its all relative. The price you pay to play a good game, is that you have to be patient as it grows.

I get furious at this game from time to time. But I think, it may be my expectations of what or how it should be. I probably wouldnt play it if it was as easy as it used to be. So as angry as I get, I wont kill anyone over it. Maybe. icon_wink.gificon14.gif

Oh it's a love-hate relationship and I will persevere.

Recommendation - and completely different match behviour: try a seson in Brazil. Overhead-kick clearances, 35-yard free-kicks, multiple red cards in friendlies - hilarious and (I can vouch) quite realistic!

Last grouch: badly-synched sound effects and monotonous boo-whistle-boo-whistle...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i'm keeping quite a few clean sheets but then i am liverpool.

its surely obvious that playing lower league means its giong to be harder to keep clean sheets? especially if you dont pay much attention to tactics and such. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But "even" at level 6, teams do keep clean sheets, as the opposing forwards are rubbish too? An a friend who finds clean sheets difficult plays Wigan, US teams etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oxford_Stone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i'm keeping quite a few clean sheets but then i am liverpool.

its surely obvious that playing lower league means its giong to be harder to keep clean sheets? especially if you dont pay much attention to tactics and such. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But "even" at level 6, teams do keep clean sheets, as the opposing forwards are rubbish too? An a friend who finds clean sheets difficult plays Wigan, US teams etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

clean sheets are possible at any level.

for lower leagues i would argue that poor keepers against poor strikers would result in my goals than good keepers against good strikers though.

just my opinion though.

you just have to make sure that your defenders mentality is slightly defensive, taht you dont make them step too far up the pitch (especially if they are slow or lacking in stamina) but also make sure you dont leave too much space betwen the defnesive line and the midfield line.

I have the second best defensive record in the championship, and I'm in sixth place with 6 games to go. It would be the best only I bizarrely conceeded 5 goals in two separate matches (but that's for another threaD...)

Currently with Chelsea at the moment and have conceded less than 15 goals at the end of Jan. Quite a few clean sheets.

I also got Leeds promoted on the back of a sterling defence.

Have only played a couple of seasons in BSN/BSP with Harrogate and it WAS harder to keep clean sheets, but had plenty of 2-0 and 3-0s.

It will in some way be down to your tactics. I play a very balanced tactic and I'm more often than not the team that conceeds the least goals over a season. And I've played with many teams, from Gateshead to Inter.

You also have to accept that if you're a poor team you are going to conceed goals, no matter how defensive you play. That's just the way it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oxford_Stone:

In my current game (Bath City in Blue Sq Prem) I concede or score a goal to a deflected direct free kick EVERY game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the obsession with the forum users and random "facts" that really aren't true?

I completely switched off as soon as I read that, because it's just not true and rather than enforce your point, which I assume you hoped it would, it just makes it totally invalid.

i had a problem where my team were conceding a lot of goals from free kicks.

I had closing down and tackling set to high/hard, giving away a lot of free kicks.

Im pretty sure if a team irl get a couple of free kicks from the edge of the area they would score them ( even a sunday league player can bend a football round the walll and score) so instead of saying "omg!! my they keep scoring free kicks" i just made sure i didnt give away so many.

i have had the best defense in the league for 2 seasons straight.

I think with the right tactic it is easy, at home anyway on 8.0.2 to keep clean sheets, I am in Dec 2013 and yet to conceede one at home this season in all competitions, in contrary though I have yet to keep a clean sheet away from home!

Thanks chaps, i've picked up a few ideas. I think I'm still going to be reduecd to Keegan-style management though...

Nomis 07 will be glad to hear I've gone 2 whole games without seeing a deflected free-kick or - that other overly-common occurrence - ball bouncing off woodwork into keeper's arms (mind you in CM04 the ball hit the woodwork about three times all season) No more poetic exaggeration - promise, Nomis!

Well I got 14 games into the 2010-11 season with Lloris in goal for Liverpool without conceding a league goal.

My IFK Malmo team has not conceded for about 7 games now and we've been away to Chelsea in the CL.

The tactic and team are well set up, but I do eventually haemorrage a few.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IMT:

I think with the right tactic it is easy, at home anyway on 8.0.2 to keep clean sheets, I am in Dec 2013 and yet to conceede one at home this season in all competitions, in contrary though I have yet to keep a clean sheet away from home! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How's that for sods law, the very next home game I conceded a goal vs Wigan of all teams, and the very next away game beat Benfica 3-0.... icon_biggrin.gif

Archived