Some Issues that needs attention

Been playing half a season with Roma now, and the first thing that really come to my mind is that I can't play my game! Just as it was in 08 and perhaps slightly 09. However the opponent can play the same formation day in and day out, if I don't tweak my formation against the opponents then he will rape me. It is like its only the formation of the opponent that counts, as mine only works as a mirror trying to hihglight their weaknesses or strenghts. Wether I am good doesn't count, the only thing that count is if I have spotted their weakness or strenght. However this doesn't seem to count for the opponent, as they just play their usual formation every match.

Second thing is that it is just as hard to play any team, Inter, Parma, Cagliari, Dynamo. There is really no difference. I never seem to outplay a team, only time this season I can think of where I totally outplayed another team was against Juventus when I won 3-0. However that doesn't stop me loosing against a 17th Parma, where I dont create a chance in 45 minutes. With the same formation! This is combined with the first issue, as I can't play MY formation, I have to play something that is tweaked against the opponents formation. However the opponent can just play the same side 10 times in a row untill they meet me, without any problem. They might loose 5 matches in a row and be on a 17th position in the league, but if I dont adjust my tactics against their formation, then I will loose. Wtf???

Last: Also combined with the other issues, but still an issue on its own. Why is it that when I lead there is constant chances and activity, but when the opponent lead, perhaps after 2 stupid own goals against a bottomhalf opponent, I cant create a bloody chance. The match just goes on, ticking, untill it has reaced 90 min without a chance or highlight. Be it me who has two goals, you can be sure that the opponent will create his chances. Why cant I??? Not even with my 4th Roma against a lower half out of form team??

Just my rant. And I know, its my tactics. So dont bother write that :)

He's definitely right about chances in last 15 minutes. If you lead you'll see nothing but highlights, but if you trail you will just see time tick by. Not always, but a disproportional amount of the time. It's very unrealistic in that I've experienced this when I have managed the superior side. I wouldn't say the actual scoring of chances in the last 15 minutes is highly unrealistic, but the way in which the AI is the only one to create late chances when behind is.

if your 4th your doing ok with Roma, every season has it upset result or games that don;t work out exactly as they are. slight tweaks provoke reactions to the tactics. I have gone 1 down and gone Attack as they switch to Defend but conceded a second straight away as they countered

He's definitely right about chances in last 15 minutes. If you lead you'll see nothing but highlights, but if you trail you will just see time tick by. Not always, but a disproportional amount of the time. It's very unrealistic in that I've experienced this when I have managed the superior side. I wouldn't say the actual scoring of chances in the last 15 minutes is highly unrealistic, but the way in which the AI is the only one to create late chances when behind is.

Thats due to the AI changing tactics to attack, if you change yours to defend or counter you will reduce their chances, but if you are still playing Standard, Control or Attack then the game will be more open

Been playing half a season with Roma now, and the first thing that really come to my mind is that I can't play my game! Just as it was in 08 and perhaps slightly 09. However the opponent can play the same formation day in and day out, if I don't tweak my formation against the opponents then he will rape me. It is like its only the formation of the opponent that counts, as mine only works as a mirror trying to hihglight their weaknesses or strenghts. Wether I am good doesn't count, the only thing that count is if I have spotted their weakness or strenght. However this doesn't seem to count for the opponent, as they just play their usual formation every match.

Second thing is that it is just as hard to play any team, Inter, Parma, Cagliari, Dynamo. There is really no difference. I never seem to outplay a team, only time this season I can think of where I totally outplayed another team was against Juventus when I won 3-0. However that doesn't stop me loosing against a 17th Parma, where I dont create a chance in 45 minutes. With the same formation! This is combined with the first issue, as I can't play MY formation, I have to play something that is tweaked against the opponents formation. However the opponent can just play the same side 10 times in a row untill they meet me, without any problem. They might loose 5 matches in a row and be on a 17th position in the league, but if I dont adjust my tactics against their formation, then I will loose. Wtf???

Last: Also combined with the other issues, but still an issue on its own. Why is it that when I lead there is constant chances and activity, but when the opponent lead, perhaps after 2 stupid own goals against a bottomhalf opponent, I cant create a bloody chance. The match just goes on, ticking, untill it has reaced 90 min without a chance or highlight. Be it me who has two goals, you can be sure that the opponent will create his chances. Why cant I??? Not even with my 4th Roma against a lower half out of form team??

Just my rant. And I know, its my tactics. So dont bother write that :)

That part I bolded contradicts itself, part of being a good manager is spotting strengths and weaknesses.

But to provide you with some peace of mind, the AI possibly does change its tactics based on playing against you, just because its the same formation, it doesn't mean the players are in the same roles or the way the team plays is the same. You will never know as you can only manage your team :thup:

Depends on how you play it. The AI generally goes on the attack when down. If you play your cards right you can make it a blowout. If you play them wrong or your team just isn't playing well enough they can equalise.

Depends on how you play it. The AI generally goes on the attack when down. If you play your cards right you can make it a blowout. If you play them wrong or your team just isn't playing well enough they can equalise.

If you re-read my post, I said the representation of chances was unrealistic, but not the scoring of goals. I often score goals on the counter when the other team goes for the equalizer. I do not change tactics because my default tactic is already quite defensive. The only thing I really need to do is tick the counter attacking box. But regardless of whether or not I score from counters, they get their equalizers or neither happens, the point is there will be a lot of highlights to watch.

When I was behind at home, I switched to overload and time wasting to the lowest setting. The last 10 minutes went by and there were no highlights.

It's not the fact that the AI presses you hard in the last 15 that bothers me, nor am I unable to hit them on the counter. It's the fact that when I'm behind and try to press for that goal, I see very few highlights.

Uh...

I've played a grand total of 2 matches not using my prefered formation... And lost them both.

Seriously, base you style on consistency and don't over react to a bad result. Find what works for your side and play by it!

**** happens, you won't win every match!

Its not just one result.. Lets take a look at my season so far. The teams I have lost against.

Inter, thats ok. Was an even match, with them edging 1-0 on their turf. NP with that.

Then Napoli, at 7th, at home. Ok, **** happens. They won 1-0 after a stupid foul by De Rossi made him leave the pitch, and I was down to 10 early on. Also an even match.

Then its damn Cagliari, bottom half team. Two freaking own goals. I had two shots on goal. My players couldn't create anything

Parma up next, pos at 17th, and my team has the worst performance of the season, almost not creating a singel chance! Wtf.

But Juve, I outplay them totally. Then I gets blown off by Lazio and get lucky to score two and draw the match. Atlanta up next, and I draw them again..

Absolutely no constistency, and playing poor teams arent easier than good teams.

if your 4th your doing ok with Roma, every season has it upset result or games that don;t work out exactly as they are. slight tweaks provoke reactions to the tactics. I have gone 1 down and gone Attack as they switch to Defend but conceded a second straight away as they countered

I am not talking about a poor performance, just that there is no constistency and there is no difference between good and poor teams. I can ouplay juve and get crashed by Parma. Again and again. Like Chelsea beating United and loosing against Wigan. We all know that cant happen (just joking, I know it does happen, but here its more like the usual thing). Not saying its a poor game, just that it has some issues.

That part I bolded contradicts itself, part of being a good manager is spotting strengths and weaknesses.

But to provide you with some peace of mind, the AI possibly does change its tactics based on playing against you, just because its the same formation, it doesn't mean the players are in the same roles or the way the team plays is the same. You will never know as you can only manage your team :thup:

I know, but I feel that my formation just works on a random basis. I have played a 4-1-2-2-1 almost every match, sometimes a 4-1-2-1-2. Never anything else, so it shouldnt be a the cause of it.

Are you changing tactics, not just formation?

The thing is, that when they go on an attack, they create chances even if I play defending. But it doesn't work the other way. Thats my point.

IMO,it ends up that for 1 more year SI has done NOTHING to improve the game's core features.

Last year they have add 3d engine and the press conference(which is absolutely useless).

This year they have add staff meeting,improved the 3d graphics,touchline instructions(which are clearly bugged) and changed the tactics part a bit(making it actually way harder to understand what the best tactic is in some situations).

The game is still very enjoyable,but IMO it is a fact that its been years since they last tried to improve the most important parts of the game.

• SI Staff

I've used the same formation for over a season for both a club team (Oltrepo) and an international team (Argentina) and managed to get promoted with the club team and win the World Cup with the international team. The only time I've touched my formation was during a match if I've had injuries or someone sent off.

I have to say alot of the problem people like the thread poster are experiancing is down to the fact that the A.I. has changed to suit a trend in football which is more toward killing teams with possesion. I guarantee if the thread opening manages to find a balance in philosophies between mantaining possesion and offering attacking theat then he will be fine.

Yes its true to say at times the computer is too clinical in the last few minutes of a game, but the case as it is is that you do need to develop a formation for closing out games where the scoreline is tight. No coach will ask his team in modern day football to play exactly the same way for 90mins. He may if looking to hold onto a lead ask his side to play more narrow, waste more time, and play shorter passes. you can't send out a side to play direct and keep asking them to play direct against even when holding a slender lead into the final 15 mins of a game.

Iam currently managing Ajax so beleive me i know a thing or to about playing against weak sides as appart from the big four in holland the majority of the sides outside of that aren't exactly worldclass. What i've found with my Ajax side is that if you give quality plays time and freedom to player they will get the job done for you, there is no need to play direct and no need for them to rush their play. give them freedom of movement and expression and top class players will do more for you on this version of FM then they did on any previous version. thats a fact.

Yes its true to say at times the computer is too clinical in the last few minutes of a game, but the case as it is is that you do need to develop a formation for closing out games where the scoreline is tight. No coach will ask his team in modern day football to play exactly the same way for 90mins. He may if looking to hold onto a lead ask his side to play more narrow, waste more time, and play shorter passes. you can't send out a side to play direct and keep asking them to play direct against even when holding a slender lead into the final 15 mins of a game.

So what do you suggest i have to do to keep my lead then?

I keep control/offensive mentality and while we get chances to score 1 more goal,eventually they get a penalty or score the equaliser in the last minutes.

The next game im leading i decide to change mentality to either counterattack/defensive/standard,i tell my player to slower the tempo,keep the ball.....and the result is that we completely stop playing and the opp teams gets so many chances that eventually they will equalise or win the game.

As for my tactics,they are the same that have led me to success in FM09,and 4th in the serie A after 10 matches in FM10.But now i lost 5-1 in the domestic cup to Udinese(they scored 4 goals in the last 15 minutes),and i havent been winning for the last 10 matches.I am now 12th in the Serie A.

And you know whats funny?i have signed in january Gabriel Milito from Barcelona to improve my defense........well you can guess how it turned out.

The thing is, that when they go on an attack, they create chances even if I play defending. But it doesn't work the other way. Thats my point.

It doesn't quite work like that. If they start to attack and immediately you drop back, then they will create chances because you're inviting them onto you. If you haven't got the players to cope, then it's asking for trouble. Numbers behind the ball doesn't mean no chances. I'm far from a great tactician, I would perhaps suggesting you spend some time in the Tactic forum (if you haven't done so already).

I sort of do get your problem, I feel that my tactics have to be spot on to win. I find you're punished too easily in this version when you get it wrong. It doesn't come down to my formation though, it's more to do with my tactics I think.

I have to say alot of the problem people like the thread poster are experiancing is down to the fact that the A.I. has changed to suit a trend in football which is more toward killing teams with possesion. I guarantee if the thread opening manages to find a balance in philosophies between mantaining possesion and offering attacking theat then he will be fine.

Iam currently managing Ajax so beleive me i know a thing or to about playing against weak sides as appart from the big four in holland the majority of the sides outside of that aren't exactly worldclass. What i've found with my Ajax side is that if you give quality plays time and freedom to player they will get the job done for you, there is no need to play direct and no need for them to rush their play. give them freedom of movement and expression and top class players will do more for you on this version of FM then they did on any previous version. thats a fact.

You are wrong. I am playing with short passes, and freedom to move around the pitch. Doesn't help much. Won twice, then lost against a poor team 1-0 again. FFS, there is no consistency. Even though they had one red card, played with 4-0-1-3-1. Thats 1 midfielder, and 3 attacking. Still my team couldn't get the ball running. No matter what. Its RANDOM how good you play. Why cant I, with my good fluid formation, with well balanced deffansive and attacking player and playing roles, with by far better team and individuals, manage to create some chances with 10 vs 11, where 4 of their players played attacking, leaving one CM and 4 defender?? I said, use the flanks, didn't help. I moved Totti and Vucinic out on the flanks, where they only had one singel back to play against each. Didn't help. This game got its flaws.

So what do you suggest i have to do to keep my lead then?

I keep control/offensive mentality and while we get chances to score 1 more goal,eventually they get a penalty or score the equaliser in the last minutes.

The next game im leading i decide to change mentality to either counterattack/defensive/standard,i tell my player to slower the tempo,keep the ball.....and the result is that we completely stop playing and the opp teams gets so many chances that eventually they will equalise or win the game.

As for my tactics,they are the same that have led me to success in FM09,and 4th in the serie A after 10 matches in FM10.But now i lost 5-1 in the domestic cup to Udinese(they scored 4 goals in the last 15 minutes),and i havent been winning for the last 10 matches.I am now 12th in the Serie A.

And you know whats funny?i have signed in january Gabriel Milito from Barcelona to improve my defense........well you can guess how it turned out.

The best thing when trying to control a game with short passing is to funel the play through the middle of the pitch and slow the tempo. I play with two main formations 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1 narrow. Both allow me to control games from start to finish and when I feel the attacking flow isn't going as I want it then i switch to between the two. If I need to get a goal(rarely) I switch to an attacking very direct 4-2-3-1. This works A treat for me. I also just went to saville in the champions league and hammered them 3-0 so i see no problems with this game. what formation are you playing?

You are wrong. I am playing with short passes, and freedom to move around the pitch. Doesn't help much. Won twice, then lost against a poor team 1-0 again. FFS, there is no consistency. Even though they had one red card, played with 4-0-1-3-1. Thats 1 midfielder, and 3 attacking. Still my team couldn't get the ball running. No matter what. Its RANDOM how good you play. Why cant I, with my good fluid formation, with well balanced deffansive and attacking player and playing roles, with by far better team and individuals, manage to create some chances with 10 vs 11, where 4 of their players played attacking, leaving one CM and 4 defender?? I said, use the flanks, didn't help. I moved Totti and Vucinic out on the flanks, where they only had one singel back to play against each. Didn't help. This game got its flaws.

You may have actually mis understood what i said and appologies if I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't suggesting you switch your formation types to fluid. In Italy this possible isn't a good idea as most sides don't play very open fluid football they play quite diciplined whilst giving attacking players their heads. in order to find a balance try setting tackling to default and try not to allow roaming as an overall instruction to the team, those players who you deem you want to have a free role will already roam anyway, the rest should stay in position and only break when nessesary. it also is a good idea when focusing on possesion to play containing or control foot ball with short passing I haven't managed in italy yet but Iam having success both home and abroad with my Ajax side.

I should also mention that I am using a far high closing down rate for my CM then i was using for FM09 with my CM's normally closing down somewhere around 15+. This may help retaining the ball. Believe me its not rubbish if you are conceding pens its possible because you are using aggressive tactics. Focus more on higher closing down rates and more normal tackling. this should help.

Tips for the OP:

-Most of the time form is more important than current ability so unless there is a huge class difference, rotate your players. This will result in all players working harder. (Very Important against complacency which seems to be your main problem)

-Have adequate backup players

-If you change tactics or formation often players will get confused and their performance will drop. My advice is: Ignore the pre-match advice meetings when playing with weaker teams.

-Luck is a big factor in this game; be patient; you are in just half a season.

-Don't use 'ask assistant' or 'set overall team talk' in pre-match or half-time. Experiment each team talk with each player in each situation (pre-match favourites, pre-match underdogs, winning, losing, drawing, full-time win, full-time loss etc.) and check team talk feedback page for results

I've played half a season with Liverpool. My formation is basically unchanged, though gradually tinkering with the roles/instructions for the wide players (discovering 'run into channels' gets them to cut inside more than 'cut inside' does). I check the coach recommendations for tactics - opponents struggle against slow tempo, narrow play, defending deep etc - and oppositions instructions for players - then ignore them all and play exactly the same way each game*. My record is 14-1-1 or thereabouts, played 6 won 6 in the CL groups (albeit an easy group), and at the moment considering waiting for patch 2 because I think 'elite' attacking players find it too easy to carve open defences - Torres has 23 goals in 21 games, or something, while also Gerrard has just under a goal every game playing as 'advanced playmaker' from MC, not AMC. In the first 15 or so games, only 1 goal was not by one of those two. It's not just my players either - Torres isn't even top scorer, Tevez has even more.

Basically, I'm winning games (not always comfortably, with a few comebacks, but mostly), without having to tinker too much with tactics - the odd role change when trailing etc. It actually sounds like you're reacting too much to coaches advice etc (i.e. only half a season and numerous changes) - just try playing the same system for a run of games without tinkering and see if you improve.

* Except against Man U where the instruction to mark tightly, press often and tackle hard on Rooney was too tempting to resist. :) Won 3-1 (won 3-0 previously, but the game crashed after the next match).

Archived