Hi SI, Any improvements/changes to the MLS??

As an American, I completely agree. I typically do two or three managerial careers in the MLS. I would like to see a more robust representation of MLS and First Division soccer in the States. However, I also understand that American soccer takes a back seat to the European game...

its virtually impossible to keep players in the MLS so i never play it. anyone with any sort of quality jumps to europe or gets mad cuz you wont let them. i mean i lost beckham to freakin norwich cuz he wanted to go back to europe... really? you think he's leaving LA for norwich? lol...

They do say you can't polish a turd... ;):D

The MLSis obviously a very difficult league to make work properly, so in all honesty I would expect for the essentials to be done and little more.

LMAO...Actually, I laughed so hard I choked and coughed and cried and laughed some more...oldie but a goodie...

With the new editor, I'm making the MLS more European-like anyway.

20 Teams, 36 game season, no playoffs.

20 Team reserve league (similar to hockey and baseball farm system)

Boom boom boom.

its virtually impossible to keep players in the MLS so i never play it. anyone with any sort of quality jumps to europe or gets mad cuz you wont let them. i mean i lost beckham to freakin norwich cuz he wanted to go back to europe... really? you think he's leaving LA for norwich? lol...

Which is obviously not realistic, hence the need for improvement. Beckham is probably not going to leave the Galaxy. He will do another loan to Milan at the end of the season in a bid to make one final World Cup, and then he will probably stay with the Galaxy until retirement.

And to the OP, if you're an "MLS guy through and through" you would know that its not "the MLS" just "MLS". :thup:

And to the OP, if you're an "MLS guy through and through" you would know that its not "the MLS" just "MLS". :thup:

Hi, I'm the internet, have we met? Thanks for noticing that I put a misplaced 'the' in front of an acronym. A much needed correction. :rolleyes:

LMAO...Actually, I laughed so hard I choked and coughed and cried and laughed some more...oldie but a goodie...

I wish I were as easily amused as you. It seems pretty much anything will make you break out in tears.

I'm very interested in this too. Here is the only thing I've found so far.

There are lots of new player search filters too such as:

* “Appeared in” player search filter to see players who are already cup tied.

* Part-time, amateur, youth and MLS specific options.

* Extra contract expiry options.

* Can now filter by “at least” in staff search in regards to their reputations.

* You can now filter by “leagues” for players, to just see players playing in the Championship, for example.

Then there’s the “Asking price” filter which has been added on player search screen

Football Manager 2010 new features blog Day 22: improvements to scouting and player searching

I'm quite optimistic though that there will be significant improvements made. HOWEVER, once the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at the end of the year and a new, different one is signed, FM's MLS structure will already be obsolete in 2010, not to mention the addition of a new team, the Philadelphia Union. At least they don't have any players yet to make things even more confusing. Not much SI can do about the league changing it's rules though. At least they'll give us a league editor to play with.

I wish I were as easily amused as you. It seems pretty much anything will make you break out in tears.

You'll have to forgive me. I am an ignorant American brute. We are given to foolishness and obviously not as cultured as you...

Boom boom boom.

I might be wrong but I think I saw somewhere from SI that the MLS could not be altered in the editor for some reason. Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

Boom boom boom.

Same here. I detest the MLS league setup. Play all season so that 80% of the league makes it into a playoff? I don't think the game handles the drafting process well. Doing transfers is a nightmare with the salary structure. It's all a big mess, in real life as well, so its no reflection on the game. Even the basics in the real world MLS are awful such as the commentating, but that's a topic for another thread. This is why that even being American, I still play in European leagues usually England and Portugal. The editor gives me hope of perhaps emulating a traditional promotion/relegation system probably with the original league setup from the 90's. We'll see. It all depends on how manageable the editor turns out to be. If it's like the one in previous versions, I'll probably leave it alone.

Archived