job interviews

just wanted to see what anyone thought of the idea of having job interviews when applying for a job. use a press conference type screen and maybe if you give answers that match what a board wants it increases your chances or have a terrible interview and ruin your chances.

They might end up being as irritating and bland as press conferences (even if they'll hopefully be very rare), but its a logical step, after all applications aren't just a case of saying 'I want to be your manager'. What sort of questions do you think should be asked? They may end up being similar to those in introducing press conferences, as those already deal with transfer, club running and player relationship policies as well as how happy you are to be there and whether language is an issue (if that applies). The only new one I can think of right now is ambitions for the club.

but there is only going to be about 3-4 job interviews in a game really maybe even less over a whole fm save. so they will be a bit spaced out. and there changing the press conferences arnt they to expand them a bit. and im not really sure about what they would ask i see your point about the first press conference. dunno if anyone has any ideas or maybe slitghly change the first press conference a bit not really sure.

Could be about matching what you think you can achieve to whether they think it is realistic. Ie if you are an unknown and say you will win the EPL with Burnley they laugh you out the door, but if Cappello says it, maybe they listen. But even that would probably get a bit formulaic.

I think a bit more options in negotiating with the club would be good.

Something like setting parameters of "I don't want you to dictate my transfer policy" or "How strict are you with the budget?"

In addition, board communication can be expanded, which I'll imagine to come in the future.

I remember this being discussed before, and if it's done right it definitely has potential.

Perhaps it can be a way for the board to gauge your tactical preferences, if they're zoned in on a particular type of manager (like Chelsea with Scolari with life after Mourinho). If you end up being hired and don't live up to your end of the bargain, it gives the board one more reason to be annoyed with you.

You can also define your man-management philosophy there too, I suppose, as you can give your opinion to certain events that are happening within the club. "Player X and Player Y are at loggerheads, what will you do to resolve the situation?"

I don't know if having a "right" answer for a specific club is the way to go, but at the very least it adds a sense of intrigue to the job application process.

but there is only going to be about 3-4 job interviews in a game really maybe even less over a whole fm save. so they will be a bit spaced out.

Even when I was writing about that I had a feeling that it was more a 'possible' downside I was mentioning for the sake of balance then a serious concern so maybe shouldn't have said it, even if things don't go well (and in my experience, whatever you do or don't do, it seems to be a matter of luck whether it works out or not) you'll only be looking every year or 2 which isn't that bad.

I think if properly implemented this would add to the game. I like the idea of having to 'apply' even at the start of a new save- sure the team will accept you automatically, but if it is done properly it could be used to gain insight into the working of the board and perhaps allow you to have some input into the expectations and budgets.

I think a bit more options in negotiating with the club would be good.

Something like setting parameters of "I don't want you to dictate my transfer policy" or "How strict are you with the budget?"

I really like this line of thinking... I can envision two types of interviews. First, if you are a star manager, looking to leave a post after a successful post. In this situation, you have the edge in negotiating because of your successful record. Having the ability to say 'I dont want you to interfere with my transfers' or 'I expect a starting transfer budget of 10 million' with the expectations set high accordingly. This would allow a successful manager to use that success to his benefit when looking for a new challenge.

The second type of interview would of course be after you've been sacked and looking to apply at a lesser club. You dont have the leverage, even if you have a decent rep, so they might be able to force you into less than ideal conditions--varying of course depending on the rep/league of the club. If you were sacked from a mid table PL club, staying at the same level could be possible, but with potentially greater restrictions on your transfer budget, board interference, etc. In order to find a situations that allowed you a great deal of managerial freedom might mean one has to look in the Championship, the First Div, etc...

It'd be nice to have them with contract negotiations too. AFter all, if when i take over i accept very little freedom in order to stay at my current level, then take that new mid table team to the champions league final in 2 years, I should be able to turn around and say "Sure. Another 5 years is fine, but I want you to stop interfering, I need more money..."

I don't see this as becoming anything like press conferences if done correctly, as i think most people find press conferences tedious, whereas the amount of jobs you would actually apply to should really be countable on one hand, I think it's most likely too late for FM10 but definatly a good idea for future additions to football manager.

Can't see why not. Definately won't be a thing we see often because people only usually play 1 to 4 teams on average per save right? Would you include an interview for you first team you want to manage?

Maybe during the interview the computer can calculate how much budget they'd give you or something through the questoins and answers you make. Say for example they'd ask:

"What kind of ambitions do you have for the team this year"

and depending on the opitoins it'll affect your transfer budget etc?

Just a thought...

Sounds good though

Cheers,

ReeNah

Archived