The Scouting Challenge

How well can you spot talent? Lets find out.

Premise:

I will post a batch of screen shots of players attributes. Your job is to try and determine the CA and PA of the player in the screen shot. You will only have access to some of the player's attributes. Sometimes just the form of the player, sometimes the attributes, sometimes both, or a combination of something or other. Each is meant to test your abilities as an evaluator of talent.

How to play:

After judging each player in the round, you will send me a PM with your guesses for each player's PA and CA. You do not need to sign up, simply send me a PM with your guesses each round and you will be added to the overall table. No posting guesses in this thread!

Scoring:

For each player, you start with a score of 100. For everyone one point you are off in CA and PA, you lose one of those points. Example: You guess a CA of 120 and a PA of 150, and the players actual CA is 110 and PA is 170. You are off by 10 points in CA and 20 points in PA, and therefore have 30 points removed from your original 100, and you have 70 points for that player. Be advised, you CAN have negative points if you do poorly enough (ie, off by more than 100 points), but I don't foresee that happening.

Add the points for each player in the round, and there is your final score for the round.

The winner of each round will be given a 10 point bonus and an award.

Round One will begin shortly.

I've got guesses from the following:

Welsh Wizard, Hamuel, joetheref, Charlesbeams, KiddingChoc and greenwhitearmy

You all shouldn't worry, your points are all very similar at the moment. Whether that means you all are amazing at this or all terrible at this remains to be seen ;).

I've got guesses from the following:

Welsh Wizard, Hamuel, joetheref, Charlesbeams, KiddingChoc and greenwhitearmy

You all shouldn't worry, your points are all very similar at the moment. Whether that means you all are amazing at this or all terrible at this remains to be seen ;).

Mine were a bit rushed so if I'm not in the negative I'm happy :D

Round One: Clam Chowder Bowl, Results

The winner of the round will receive 10 extra points and the Clam Chowder Bowl, a reference to the fact that all ten players are currently playing for the New England Revolution in 2025. Due to how poorly MLS is simulated after the first few years, things get very messed up in MLS and American soccer in general, and this made an ideal place to find a wide variety of players for the first round. Lets meet our players shall we?

Player One: Fernando Lopez

The Mexican-American winger spent his entire career in the United States, first in the PDL and then bouncing around MLS. He never established himself in any of the teams he played for and has played poorly when called upon. A shame he never got close to his potential.

CA: 96

PA: 174

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 116 and PA = 146. Average guess of CA = 123 and PA =140.

Player Two: Steve Parker

Started his career I the PDL, then made the jump to the USL-1 before finding his way to MLS. He has been with New England for 7 years, playing over 200 games. In that time, he has averaged very poorly, around 6.40.

CA: 113

PA: 115

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 110 and PA = 114. Average guess of CA = 105 and PA =125.

Player Three: Joël Van den Bossche

New England just bought this Belgian youth international from Club Brugge (previously 5 years at AA Gent) at the beginning of the season for $525k. He had a poor season, averaging 6.57 over 30 games.

CA: 132

PA: 146

Best scouting report: greenwhitearmy with a guess of CA = 125 and PA = 140. Average guess of CA = 127 and PA =160.

Player Four: Paul Nixon

The former US youth international bounced around MLS in his early days but has found a steady contract at New England. He hasn’t played all that well in the past, but was in decent form this season, setting up 14 assists in 34 games.

CA: 115

PA: 116

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 115 and PA = 116. That’s no typo, he got it exactly. Average guess of CA = 128 and PA = 140

Player Five: Roger Worthington

A prolific scorer in both the USL and PDL in his younger days, Worthington has found his way to MLS and has scored 64 goals for New England in his 4.5 years there. This has been his best season to date, scoring 21 goals in 36 games.

CA: 135

PA: 190

Best scouting report: Charlesbeams with a guess of CA = 140 and PA = 175. Average guess of CA = 136 and PA =159.

Player Six: Thabang Mdluli

South African international Mdluli started his career at Kaizer Cheifs before switching to rivals Orlando Pirates where he played beautifully. He came into MLS for Real Salt Lake in 2021, and played poorly. He was picked up by New England before the season started and played poorly, 6.07 over 31 games.

129, 131

Best scouting report: Hamuel with a guess of CA = 136 and PA = 139. Average guess of CA = 103 and PA =123.

Player Seven: Chris Edwards

New Englands first choice keeper for the last 7 years, and has played inconsistently to say the least. He conceded 41 goals in 30 games this year.

CA: 103

PA: 139

Best scouting report: Welsh Wizard with a guess of CA = 100 and PA = 110. Average guess of CA = 129 and PA =139.

Player Eight: Alain Lasa

A Spanish winger bought by the Revolution for $750k halfway through the season from Sparta Prague. He only managed 5 sub appearances this season.

CA: 138

PA: 151

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 135 and PA = 147. Average guess of CA = 146 and PA =168.

Player Nine: Frankie Robinson

Played for 7 different MLS clubs (several for multiple stints) in 7 years. Only managed to play 26 games, in that time, and started 5 of those. His transfer history is proof that MLS is seriously broken in FM.

CA: 95

PA: 139

Best scouting report: joetheref with a guess of CA = 100 and PA = 140. Average guess of CA = 97 and PA =124.

Player Ten: Jim Forrest

Six clubs in four years for Forrest, who played 12 MLS games in that time. He made two sub appearances for New England this year. More proof that MLS doesn’t play well in FM. Actually most of these players prove that one way or another, but I digress.

CA: 77

PA: 135

Best scouting report: Charlesbeams with a guess of CA = 80 and PA = 150. Average guess of CA = 66 and PA =103.

The Clam Chowder Bowl goes to, drum roll please…

Adamw! He has performed amazingly this round and scored a total of 674 points. He certainly will be the one to beat in the rounds to come. He wins the Clam Chowder Bowl and 10 points. Collect your trophy here: Trophy

Round One Scoreboard:

Player	        Points
1	Adamw	        674
2	Hamuel	        561
3	joetheref	541
4	KiddingChoc	533
5	Charlesbeams	523
6	greenwhitearmy	513
7	Welsh Wizard	486

Overall Scoreboard:

Player	        Points
1	Adamw	        684
2	Hamuel	        561
3	joetheref	541
4	KiddingChoc	533
5	Charlesbeams	523
6	greenwhitearmy	513
7	Welsh Wizard	486

Round Two will be posted shortly

Round Two - Show Me the Markka

Player One

Player Two

Player Three

Player Four

Player Five

Player Six

Player Seven

Player Eight

Player Nine

Player Ten

Player Eleven

Player Twelve

Player Thirteen

Player Fourteen

Good luck, I hope you finnish before the end of the round.

If you missed last round, you are more than welcome (infact encouraged) to join this round.

Round Two: Show Me the Markka, Results

The winner of the round will receive 10 extra points and the Show Me the Markka Trophy, a reference to the fact that the fourteen players represent the highest paid player on each team in the Veikkausliiga (Finnish Premier League) in the year 2036.

Player One: Aki Keskitalo

CA: 107

PA: 149

Best scouting report: Charlesbeams with a guess of CA = 120 and PA = 150. Average guess of CA = 109 and PA =134.

Player Two: Amid Mahmudov

CA: 102

PA: 119

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 106 and PA = 142. Average guess of CA = 91 and PA =141.

Player Three: Christian Adams

CA: 114

PA: 137

Best scouting report: greenwhitearmy with a guess of CA = 110 and PA = 140. Average guess of CA = 108 and PA =146.

Player Four: Harri Lehtonen

PA: 145

Best scouting report: William Hall with a guess of CA = 100 and PA = 165. Average guess of CA = 130 and PA = 153.

Player Five: Francisco Rivera

CA: 112

PA: 113

Best scouting report: greenwhitearmy with a guess of CA = 100 and PA = 114. Average guess of CA = 104 and PA =122.

Player Six: Jaakko Miettinen

CA: 105

PA: 112

Best scouting report: greenwhitearmy with a guess of CA = 100 and PA = 130. Average guess of CA = 103 and PA =142.

Player Seven: Joni Virta

CA: 97

PA: 98

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 97 and PA = 112. Average guess of CA = 90 and PA =117.

Player Eight: József Puskás

PA: 128

Best scouting report: Charlesbeams with a guess of CA = 110 and PA = 130. Average guess of CA = 102 and PA =115.

Player Nine: Jouko Jantunen

CA: 116

PA: 136

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 110 and PA = 121. Average guess of CA = 117 and PA =149.

Player Ten: Juho Majava

CA: 110

PA: 134

Best scouting report: Hamuel with a guess of CA = 119 and PA = 132. Average guess of CA = 95 and PA =110.

Player Eleven: Noureddine El Mrini

CA: 130

PA: 149

Best scouting report: Hamuel with a guess of CA = 141 and PA = 145. Average guess of CA = 11 and PA =132.

Player Twelve: Kimmo Korhonen

CA: 107

PA: 108

Best scouting report: Adamw with a guess of CA = 104 and PA = 104. Average guess of CA = 104 and PA =121.

Player Thirteen: Zoran Eftimov

CA: 127

PA: 159

Best scouting report: Hamuel with a guess of CA = 130 and PA = 160. Average guess of CA = 126 and PA =156.

Player Fourteen: Tommy Thomassen

CA: 117

PA: 145

Best scouting report: Hamuel with a guess of CA = 129 and PA = 142. Average guess of CA = 113 and PA =136.

The Show Me the Markka Trophy goes to, drum roll please…

Adamw! Another solid round from last round's champion, earning him 1026 points. He has proved his last round win was no fluke. He wins the Show Me the Markka Trophy and 10 points. Collect your trophy here: Show Me the Markka Trophy

Round Two Scoreboard:

Player	Points
1	Adamw	        1026
2	greenwhitearmy	1018
3	Hamuel	        993
4	Charlesbeams	933
5	joetheref	834
6	William Hall	591

Further proof of the miracle of averages, the if your guesses were averaged, the score would be 1085.633333, much better than any of you individually.

Overall Scoreboard:

Player	Points
1	Adamw	        1720
2	Hamuel	        1554
3	greenwhitearmy	1531
4	Charlesbeams	1456
5	joetheref	1375
6	William Hall	591
7	KiddingChoc	533
8	Welsh Wizard	486

Round Three will be posted shortly

Archived