Going back to the old games...

Before I start, this isn't a thread ranting about FM 09, a game which IMO is great, if harder and more frustrating than the older games.

I was wondering if anyone ever goes back to playing the older games (ie FM2005-FM2008). I am getting a bit annoyed at not being able to sustain a long game on this year's edition, and quite fancy playing FM2007 again. I was just wondering who else plays that old games, and if so, which?

i` m playing FM07. managing Gremio, got sacked as Man Utd manager.

For various reasons, I have found both fm2009 and 08 disappointing and ultimately unsatisfying particularly regarding long term games. At first I tried going back to FM07 and while it is a very enjoyable game the fact that the data is out of date and yet also not that long ago doesn't work for me. Instead I've opted to return to CM03/04 as it's so long ago the data changes don't bother me.

Some of my friends who play fm09 laugh at the fact I'm still playing this old game but I urge any of you who have become fed up with fm09 to give CM03\04 a go if you still have the cd lying around ;)

I'm playing fm 2007 right now. It's easily the best version, no doubt about it. I didn't like 2008 at all. Don't care too much for 2009 either but I've stuck with it for now. But as I say, 90% of the time I play 2007 and the odd go on 2009.

I must admit, I really like FM2009..

I used to love CM01/02 out of all the previous other versions but am worried if I play it again I'll just realise it's not as good as I remember it being and outdated.

I tried to get back into CM 01/02 because of the free download and the good memories, but compared to games of present its ruined the game for me, and even though I long thought it was one of the best games ever and one of my favourites, now i cant stand it, its mainly down to the graphics and navigation it has (yes I know graphics aren't what made these games good in the first place but it actually hurts my eyes and the layout and fonts and other colours are clumbsy and near impossible for me to use), and also its impossible to go back to commentary once you've got used to 2d and 3d, the only good thing about that game now is whos on the database, I really wish id just kept the memory instead of trying to go back:(

Bet you didnt think you'd be hearing a rant about CM 01/02 8 years after the release;)

I must admit, I really like FM2009..

I used to love CM01/02 out of all the previous other versions but am worried if I play it again I'll just realise it's not as good as I remember it being and outdated.

Dont do it, stick with the memories:thup:

There is a lot of anti-FM08 here. Why? Great game if you ask me and at least as good as FM07.

C.

Poor regen development and the confidence system really ruined it for me. I found it so much easier to get into long term saves in '07.

The match engine was much better in FM07 as well in my opinion.

I've said this before, but I think the major reason I couldn't go back to FM07 was the various extra features added in for FM08.

Coach reports is probably the biggest example of this. Something I would miss a lot if I was to go back now.

As for the confidence system, I think this was pretty much sorted out in 8.2 patch. I can't remember it ever having an effect on me. Can't really remember the regen development ever being a problem for me personally.

There were a lot of good things about 08 in my eyes. It was certainly a very fun and addictive version of the game. Very stable and enjoyable with some great additions.

Interestingly enough, I can't think of many features I would miss from FM09 though. :rolleyes:

C.

Not quite got back round to reinstalling it yet as my laptop has just been rebuilt, but to be honest looking to do it as sooner rather than later. Whilst FM09 (with all 3 patches installed)in my relatively limited gameplay of it so far has been ok, i still can't get into a long term game and enjoy it.

Have been playing FM since the old CM days of 97/98 and was a big fan. Didn't even bother with patching up until FM07 as the bugs/flaws never used to bother me that much. Then came FM08, and after the disaster of my experience with that if i'm honest it kind of sickened me. Instead of waiting with baited breath on the FM09 release, i didn't even bother looking to find out when it was due out. When i did end up getting it (as a present) after trawling the forums before installing it and seeing all the grief people were having i left it in it's wrapper for long and weary.

After finally getting round to installing it, whilst it has been ok, i can't say it's ever really got me as addicted as FM07 did. Case in point, with FM07 if i was during a season and the girlfriend wanted to go out, she could take a hike and go herself. Now (albeit with a different girlfriend) it's FM09 taking the hike, for weeks and months at a time and after an hour or two, confined back to it's place on the shelf.

So, ready for putting back FM07 on my laptop, where it was fun, enjoyable, addictive and in my opinion a better all round game. But hey, that's only my 2 cents.

Archived