AI Experiment: Will players progress be affected by abnormal weather conditions?

Ok, I have created a team, called Griffin's Giants, in Sweden, in their top division. Being in a city I created up, they will suffer, or gain from, these abnormal conditions.

With top training and youth facilites, as well as a youth academy, and a mega rich chairman, with a permanent love for the team, we should be hopefully seeing some top class regens come through to this team. Using Genie Scout, I will monitor these players progresses, and see whether they will be able to develop as would be normal at such a brilliant place, or whether the weather will stop them from doing so well, as they suffer from the conditions which they might not be accustomed with.

Well, the only way to find this out is to start it off.

Hmm not sure how much it'll effect development. More importantly how can you determine that the regens level of improvement is down to the weather/hindered by the weather?

I suppose if I notice a trend of players perhaps developing more at certain times of the year, or developing faster than perhaps other teams, or slower. Or there might be a trend of players not developing like what would probably be expected, or more than expected.

I think the way to do this would be using a single league. With a test set of teams, eg use one of the leagues with no relegation and set-up 20 teams, base them in weather extremes. So for example there are a lot of extremes you can go with. Arctic, Western Australia, Northern Africa, Nevada, Monsoons etc, have all the teams set-up with identical characteristics except for the weather. Also maybe do some with very mild weather (New Zealand woould be a good base for this) and then see what the weather does to each of them.

Whats the abnormal part of the swedish weather? Have you created a new weather system in the DB or have you just put them into the coldest area of Sweden?

Yeah,I created a new weather, with extremes of hot and cold, and with autumn I made half the days freezing, and the half the days boiling hot.

The thing is, they only have a rep of 5000, so not everyone will join. Not the highest rep in Sweden either, which I didn't expect.

This is just a test, I will do the same test, afterwards, without the weather, and see what happens to those players.

First abnormal, for a certain amount of year, then normal, for the same amount of years.

Just had a thought of an extra part of this experiment you could track on the side - do these players get injured more often from playing in such extreme conditions? If they are playing on frozen pitches regularly there should be an increase in injuries. Also, playing in extreme heat should lead to a higher drop in condition than usual. It would be interesting to see if this has an affect in the game.

I think the way to do this would be using a single league. With a test set of teams, eg use one of the leagues with no relegation and set-up 20 teams, base them in weather extremes. So for example there are a lot of extremes you can go with. Arctic, Western Australia, Northern Africa, Nevada, Monsoons etc, have all the teams set-up with identical characteristics except for the weather. Also maybe do some with very mild weather (New Zealand woould be a good base for this) and then see what the weather does to each of them.

This ^^^^

If you want this experiment to be successful and actually tell you something about the importance of weather within FM you need to take this idea and use it. There's no point in starting with one team, running it for 20 years and then starting another with a different team in different conditions. You should put the time in and make a more extensive database, then run the test. Good luck with it :thup:

Ok, decided upon how I will start this out.

I will pick 6 teams, from 6 different continents, all in playable leagues. Through the use of FMRTE, I will set their facilities to the same as whatever the team with the highest facilities has, to keep it even and a fair test. However, I will do two tests. The first test is with normal weather conditions, and will last between 10-15 game years. Then, after that test, we shall do the same test, with the same teams, same facilities, but with the abnormal weather, different created weather for each continent. How does that sound?

Anything I could add in to it, or take out?

Guest mikeytwigge

why dont you just take one league and change the weather at each stadium. so for example if you use scotland celtic play in boiling hot weather aerdeen in freezing cold hearts in torrential rain ect. Obviously you would have to edit each team to be equal in rep ect

One of the hints while FM is processing says that weather does make a difference :thup:

It makes a difference in how your team's style of play works in the game. When the weather is cold, wet, and windy it makes it hard to play attractive football.

Ok, I can understand the sense of realism, but instead of changing where teams in scotland play, swap a team from each of the continents into Scotland, so for example Adelaide Utd, Dehli, Toronto, Boca, J' Burg, & then have them play in the extreme weathers?

Meh, sounds good, but I would rather just have normal teams.

Anyway, these are the 6 nations who from out of them, 1 team will be picked

Russia

Australia

South Africa

Brazil

USA

India

Archived