Free Transfers.

If you're playing with attribute masking on you have to be a bit sneakier.

Put something like this

contract status blah blah

and attribute1 is at least x

or attribute1 is at most 1

and attribute2 is at least x

or attribute2 is at most 1

You have to put the "at most 1" straight after the same attribute or it all goes pear shaped.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soundian:

Put something like this

You have to put the "at most 1" straight after the same attribute or it all goes pear shaped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I'm not following this - can you give an example please?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Half-time Orange:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soundian:

Put something like this

You have to put the "at most 1" straight after the same attribute or it all goes pear shaped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I'm not following this - can you give an example please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

contract status is expired

or contract status is unattached

and strength is at least 10

or strength is at most 1

and pace is at least 10

or pace is at most 1

you can also use a current player as a filter.

On the players screen, click on "misc" and there is an option to "create player search criteria from playername" (where playername is their name.

You can then add more things to the filter, such as contract status.

Helps you get decent players quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

you can also use a current player as a filter.

On the players screen, click on "misc" and there is an option to "create player search criteria from playername" (where playername is their name.

You can then add more things to the filter, such as contract status.

Helps you get decent players quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only if you have good players to begin with.

otherwise you get players fitting the profile of tubby-slow-bloke-who-can't-kick.

I tend to filter it with one vital stat for position like passing for midfielder; finishing for striker; and dribbling for wingers etc and start with players under 18 and gradually raise this age limit til you've filtered through all the free transfer players.

I those who I suspect could be good a four week trial (pre season I often end up with 30 odd players on trial). Might sign say three of these.

Also its useful with defenders to filter on, say, height. Anyone who is seventeen and has, say, 16 strength and is 6ft 5in tall is worth a trial! Same with goalies. Or say a 14 year old striker with 17 movement or heading, I get in on trial even if i cant see any of their other stats. Get some gems like this.

Also, check under 21 caps or what club they used to play for. Ex-Premiership could be worth a pop and so on.

You can scout them of course but I find it easier and more speedy to get them in on trial for four weeks for some training and get your coaches to have a proper look, or play a friendly/reserve game or two.

Mmm, never used that "create filter from player" option before, don't think I'll bother after a few looks at it.

The basics are in the manual I think, i.e. what stats are good for what position.

Or go to FM britain and read the tactical bible (you have to register there but if wwfan or the next diaby came in my local they wouldn't have to buy a drink all night icon14.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Half-time Orange:

Put something like this

Sorry, I'm not following this - can you give an example please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or strength is at most 1

and pace is at least 10

or pace is at most 1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How bizarre! - I won't enquire how someone figured this out!

What is it doing exactly?

At first glance, it doesn't seem to matter what value I put in for x.

Is it revealing attributes or processing hidden attributes?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious :red:

What is this tech

Put something like this

or strength is at most 1

and pace is at least 10

or pace is at most 1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How bizarre! - I won't enquire how someone figured this out!

What is it doing exactly?

At first glance, it doesn't seem to matter what value I put in for x.

Is it revealing attributes or processing hidden attributes?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious icon_redface.gif

The hidden attributes are treated as 0 by the filter.

If you want to investigate further:

put in e.g. strength is at least 10, click on the top of the strength column (once you've brought up either the defence or physical view obviously)

Now you have a list of players sorted by descending order of strength.

Click on strength again, now you have a ascending list by strength. The lowest number will be 10.

But note, you no longer have players who's strength attribute is hidden.

Add the "or strength is at most 1" to get rid of those players whose strength is between 2 and 9 inclusive and you have a list of players who's strength is either 10 or more, or 1 or unknown=0.

You still get the duffers with strength=1 but more importantly you don't discard anyone who MIGHT have a strength 10+.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you still don't get it, I'm not up to much tonight.

You might also try sweeping through free transfers anytime possible during pause, and summer, and track players with ending contract - I collected players like Ronaldo, Pizarro, Tommasson, or Ballack that way. Although kicked by their club, they can do some nasty ****, specially if you get them for lower clubs, and it's quite possible.

What a handy little cheat.

icon14.gif Thanks for your help Soundian.

& thanks for the tip - that'll save me days of clicking when I next start in the lower leaguesicon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheat? you do me a disservice sir! I shall see you on the duelling ground at dawn! icon_wink.gif

It might be viewed as a cheat by Llamas but they don't use the player search anyway. As far as I'm concerned the player search is the modern day equivalent of looking round club websites and fansites, you can soon tell if a player is a bit rubbish by seeing what the fans of his club are saying about him and if I was a real-life LLM I'm damn sure I'd be using every advantage I had to optimise my chances of success.

If you don't mind, we'll call it "optimising the search engine utility".

Glad to be of help, I've had so much info off this site and similar it feels sort of warm and fuzzy to give a little back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 777:

whos the best free transfer you've ever signed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iv just gotten carlos tevez and giovani dos santos on a free transfer at the end of the 2nd season icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

Taribo West a fw years back. Awesome for free and would go to lower league teams to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i remember those dayz.... icon_wink.gif

them dayz.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomo2k4:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 777:

Iv just gotten carlos tevez and giovani dos santos on a free transfer at the end of the 2nd season icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya jammy sod! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bytheway:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

Taribo West a fw years back. Awesome for free and would go to lower league teams to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i remember those dayz.... icon_wink.gif

them dayz.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomo2k4:

Iv just gotten carlos tevez and giovani dos santos on a free transfer at the end of the 2nd season icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And all they are doing is sitting on my bench lol, Aguero and ibrahimovic up front icon_wink.gif

ya jammy sod! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a handy little cheat.

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how it's a cheat. You're just sorting data.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrEdwierd:

Also is there any way to get a player tot tutor another play??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right click on the youngster you want to be tutored, go to player interaction, then at the bottom there should be a menu to select the tutor (if there's more than one). Select the player you want to tutor from there, then select the appropriate media comment, then click confirm in the corner.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5254/03022008071300qj9.jpg

It is also worth knowing that if you have a good, knowledgeable coach, then if you go onto the Coach Reports screen for the youngster, under "Training" it may suggest if that player could benefit by being tutored by a certain player.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3797/03022008072039mv1.jpg (Look in the "Training" section)

Archived