Suggestion: Youth Intake

before the batch of youngsters come the assistant manager(or head of scouting department/best scout) should ask you

what position should have the regen with the highest PA in the academy that you will receive

this is very good for low-profile clubs who can't buy players from bigger clubs,but is also good for big clubs

for example in my academy 5 years in a row my best players were 5 defenders,well I can't play them all in the same team can I?(I don't use formations with 5 defenders,nor do I retrain defenders to awkward positions just to play them)

this is for you to select and only you and the game should balance the production of regens,not to create 20 superstar defenders,2 goalkeepers,20 midfielders and 3 attackers

let me hear you managers

No, IRL you cant managers dont get a choice which wonderkid they want to sign in the youth team. I know it is frustrating when you keep getting good players in the same area but sell them and strengthen where you need to.

I dont think he meant superstars, just more of an even spread in the squad. You could say one year your looking for attacking players etc.

I think your basic idea is good. But a manager IRL cant pick which position he wants the best player to be. What could be implemented is that you tell your academy staff to concentrate thier efforts on producing strikers, wingers, etc. I think that could be a good idea rather than just picking a player. what do you think?

I think your basic idea is good. But a manager IRL cant pick which position he wants the best player to be. What could be implemented is that you tell your academy staff to concentrate thier efforts on producing strikers, wingers, etc. I think that could be a good idea rather than just picking a player. what do you think?

that's exactly what I meant

Sporting Lisbon is known for wingers

Ajax for attackers

I thought you meant that the day before the new intake your ass man asks you what position you want the best player to be. Thats what it sounded like anyway. That would be totally unrealistic. I think if you could ask your academy to concentrate on wingers then it should take a while for them to come through. certainly not the next batch. A player is what he is. a manager cant dictate that.

great idea, more involvement with the academy and the way it operates would be a great addition

how about: projecting your managerial style on the way the academy is run

you could tell the head of your academy that you want him to try and sign players that are more geared for pace and strength or skill and talent etc

Something to limit the amount of players coming through at the same position would be nice yea, I got 5 goal keepers promoted in my second season as Newcastle United boss, I wouldn't care but I had at least seven spread between my 1st. reserve and u18 squad and was already trying off load a couple! having 5 promoted to the U18 (and two of them looking very promising) was a bit of a nightmare.

Surely that can't be realistic, having 5 keepers come through the youth system at once? When would they all have had chance to play? surely someone in my youth academy would say "hang on a minute we have too many goal keepers here!". I ended up letting 3 of them leave on a free anyway, as I suspect would happen in real life.

I think more youngsters should come and amass a squad so 11 players (at least) should come into the ranks(adapted of course to your tactic)

this academy involvement would be very nice for the players who like to raise their own academy players and make a team similar with Athletic Bilbao model based on cantera,and yet again for the ones with low-profile clubs this and the idea that I read here of yourself coaching would be devastating :)

I don't think this is a realistic idea. You can't suddenly decide your potential superstar right-winger is uneeded so force him to come through the academy as a centre-back and do a good job. Similarly you can't just say i want higher PA players for the centre-back position because in theory your scouts/coaches are trying their hardest to do this anyway.

I don't think this is a realistic idea. You can't suddenly decide your potential superstar right-winger is uneeded so force him to come through the academy as a centre-back and do a good job. Similarly you can't just say i want higher PA players for the centre-back position because in theory your scouts/coaches are trying their hardest to do this anyway.

its not a case of forcing players to change position, its that youd ask your academy to sign on young lads of a specific position

how often does anyone get a quality regen coming through their own ranks anyway?

how about you are offered 30 young local players and you can choose 10 or so that can have a permanent place in your under-18's?

I like that idea, stops me getting regens I don't want, like 3 defensive midfielders and no right backs. Currently scouting for one who will be ok. If I can't find any, I will have to retrain someone to do that job.

Youth teamers should be separated out - 5 or 6 of each age group (Under 16s, 17s and 18s). You would have 5 or 6 'graduating' each summer at 18, being replaced by the same amount of 15/16 year olds. So, at any one time you'd have around 18 in the Under 18s, covering all positions.

its not a case of forcing players to change position, its that youd ask your academy to sign on young lads of a specific position

What's the point in that? The coaches already promote the players they believe have the potential to be good enough for the senior teams. What's the use in then telling them to promote more players of a certain position even though they aren't good enough?

What's the point in that? The coaches already promote the players they believe have the potential to be good enough for the senior teams. What's the use in then telling them to promote more players of a certain position even though they aren't good enough?

well, it doesnt have to be a specific position

if youre a lower league side (which i usually am) and you get a quota of how many players youre 'allowed' then having a say in the position of the players coming through would be very beneficial

if youre a much wealthier team and you have already bought two great 18 year old centre backs from other clubs, you could inform the academy that you want them to concentrate on bringing other positions through

Archived