Using max salary to tame the big money

Wolf_pd

In the database there is one player over 1 Million (per week....), Messi

253 players are paid over 100K of which

• 99 in England (all but 28 at Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal)
  • 17 in France (all but two at PSG.....)
  • 20 in Germany (all but 7 at Bayern....)
  • 46 in Spain (all but 5 at Real, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona)
  • 38 in Italy (half at Juventus)
  • 25 in China
  • 7 other players at teams in India (??????), Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and USA

So..... if you wonder why your game always look the same? Money talks.....

While checking that I also looked at nationalities, based nation and salary, because you can differentiate between salary for all players, foreigners and local players

• The 99 in England paid more than 100K are 22 English and 77 non-English (yeah..... :rolleyes: )
  • The 17 in France are 3 French and 14 non-French
  • The 20 in Germany are 11 German and 9 non-German (that's actually quite nice)
  • The 46 in Spain are 19 Spanish and 27 non-Spanish
  • The 38 in Italy are 7 Italian and 31 non-Italian

I didn't check the other ones as for UEFA it is just one foreign player in Russia and Turkey each

So, has anyone tried something, taming the big money teams via max salary and what are your results?

Well the A-League has a salary cap of about 3 million per team with exceptions made for Western United as mentioned below

The Hyundai A-League Salary Cap is $3.2 million for all Clubs (excl. Western United FC) for the 2019/20 Season. The Hyundai A-League Salary Cap for Western United FC is $3.6 million for the 2019/20 Season. All Clubs must spend at least the Salary Floor which is $2.880 million.

The Salary Cap applies to the 20 to 23 Players that Clubs have registered to their Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Unless specifically exempt, all payments and benefits (eg. cars, accommodation, etc) provided by a Club to a Player are included in the Club’s Salary Cap.

This is suppose to keep clubs on an even level but saying that Sydney FC have been such a dominant team in the last few years that clubs are calling for an end to it . But the league itself is not a huge league in the number of teams that play in it so the Salary cap work well . It also helps homegrown players rather than having imports come in and steal all the big money even though they are allowed 4 imported players i think

Edited by alian62

Is there a salary max for players (like for instance MLS) in A-league?

I assume Western United is either really bad or really new?

I have been looking at an alternative Australia database where they join forces with New Zealand to form Tasmania (not the island, just a nation called after Abel Tasman) and then play a season based on a regional/provincial teams. Would be interesting to use those salary cap rules there as well.

19 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Is there a salary max for players (like for instance MLS) in A-league?

I assume Western United is either really bad or really new?

I have been looking at an alternative Australia database where they join forces with New Zealand to form Tasmania (not the island, just a nation called after Abel Tasman) and then play a season based on a regional/provincial teams. Would be interesting to use those salary cap rules there as well.

Yes Western United is a new team with another joining next year . As far as i know the players are not salary capped but you have to fit everyone into the 3.2 million salary 

Well, I put a 75 million max salary cap in the English Premier Division and does work wonders. Because I only put it in there, not sure about the overall effect, but it worked well for England.

The same teams did get the championship, but the overall competitiveness increased.

Some interesting results in the first test of 75 Million for the top 5 competitions.

• England, not much difference actually. A bit more variation in the sense that first Arsenal and then Liverpool drop out of the top 6, but not more than that.
  • France: Olympique Lyon takes top position for most of the time, with AS Monaco and PSG sometimes grabbing top spot. A change of the guard, but probably only because Lyon got hurt the least by the cap.
  • Germany: It is Borussia and Bayer instead of Borussia and Bayern. Again, this seems to be a case of getting hurt the least by the cap
  • Italy: No Juventus/Zebrze, but Inter, Lazio and Roma. Do we see a trend here? Juventus clearly the cap casualty
  • Spain: the most interesting outcome, Valencia wins the first season, then Barcelona takes two championships (one in commanding fashion even), but then it is Betis Sevilla twice, Real Sociedad, Atletico, Valencia, Real Madrid and Barcelona. The interesting thing here is that Real Madrid was outside the top 6 for 7 seasons out of 10 seasons! There is a lot of variation, with 10 different clubs getting a top 6 in that period and 12 different clubs getting into Europe. So for Spain there is a definite result.

Some things I noted during testing,

the teams suffering the most seem the ones with the biggest expenditure (makes kinda sense), but mostly the ones with the most money tied up in 1, 2 or 3 players, like Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern. For England it seems the gap between the top 5-6 money teams and the rest is still too big, so a 50-60 million cap might be even better.

The other reason why I consider that cap is because in Europe, things mostly are still between German and English, teams. The Spanish drop out of the race, but are replaced by the Portuguese. The Italian and French turn up only once, so that is in a sense good news.

So there is still a bit more to research and I need to consider the salaries for Portugal as well. 

Moved the cap back 52 million. This means a max 1 million expenditure per week. This also means that Barcelona become a one man (Messi) team, because Messie is paid more than 1million per week. Same for Juventus btw, who pay Ronaldo nearly 1million....

Results at 60 million were interesting to say the least. Southampton won the Premier League!

And from what I see the teams that take over are the ones closest to the new cap. So expected the teams in the 50million range to take over the various championships. This also poses the question how to work out the European Cups, as putting in the cap at the new teams (Ajax is very strong under a capped 60M Euro Cup) are so big, because they don't have a cup at home first and will diseappear again when the national cap is put in....

I have checked all wages after 10 years of play and the best players/players with highest values are just 100Million, but max salary is 195K, which compared to the generous amounts of money thrown around before the changes is pretty OK.

Competitiveness varies per game, sometimes you get a completely wacky competition with each year a different champion, sometimes it is one team that gets a change and stays on the top. Makes sense.

Europe is still dominated by the big teams, which can be explained by how the players are divided over the teams.

Surprisingly a player wants to leave Bayern Munich for a bigger club :o but in Europe there are only 7 teams with a better reputation to be honest and in the world that's 8 clubs (Flamengo is added), so that's nothing to be worried about.

I think it is time to do some extra tuning and then I am close to what I am looking for.

Another thing which may help is edit the allowable loss for Premier League, it is so much bigger than other nation.

It also means the bigger teams cannot spend outrageously on new players.

I think I have cracked this one with the FFP (so it can work!! :D )

The rules allow for a 105 million loss in 3 years, which I moved to 15. That did something, but wasn't the final one yet.

The kicker was the money the team is allowed to use in the calculation of the allowable loss. If you change it from 90 allowable million, to 10 (so essentially Man City can no longer invest to fill any holes ;) ), you suddenly end up with a lot of different champions:

26 years of play
2 English winners in Champions Cup and one time a losing finalist. That's something different from the regular ones.

The national champions:
Tottenham
Man City 2
Everton 4
Man Utd 3
Norwich 1
Leicester
Aston Villa 4
Chelsea 5
Liverpool 3
Burnley

We haven't even seen that since the Premier League!

So that's what I am going to add to Spain, Germany, Italy and France and see what happens.

@wolf_pd - neat thread :-)

When you lower the allowed salary expenditures, you do that at the start of July? How do clubs react to the constraint? Do they release players and how do they decide who to release? Those players then find another club but on less money? Practically I am trying to picture how it works. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Sapa said:

Hey @Wolf_pd where in the editor is the salary cap setting?  Can't for the life of me find it....

Thanks

It's in the advanced rules settings for each league. Go to Rules > Add Nation Rules > Add Lower Divisions and Cups to Existing Structures. Select the nation you want to change then go to Rules > Convert to Advanced Rules.

You'll find the salary cap options in the fixture rules section of the league that you want to edit (to find out which fixture rules to edit click on the competition you wish to edit and look for a setting called 'Fixture Rules Index'). That will give you the name of the fixture rules that you need to edit. Then when you're on the fixture rules scroll down to a section called 'Squad Selection Rules'. You'll be able to add a salary cap in this section.

Edited by Unknown Hacker

13 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

@wolf_pd - neat thread :-)

When you lower the allowed salary expenditures, you do that at the start of July? How do clubs react to the constraint? Do they release players and how do they decide who to release? Those players then find another club but on less money? Practically I am trying to picture how it works. Thanks!

Yes, that happens at the start of the season. Teams either release players or select the players that they can fit under the cap.

The transfers happen and result in lower salary at the new teams.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here you go. I am still looking whether I can improve, but that has been a little bit lower priority. Also need to look what happens if I apply the same rules in France, Spain, Germany and Italy. My guess is that I will have to tame Portugal then as well.

1.thumb.png.2021c97410849c36dd37dc0c296b18d3.png

2.thumb.png.f358465ed87fae399e14d3458c561ab5.png

Great! Thank you!

I did some tests on my side but the problem is that the clubs don't release their players, so some clubs like PSG have 13 players!

So I'm trying something progressive. First of all, lower the salary cap each year (for example from 180M the first year to 100M the fourth year, etc...) and also block contracts at 300,000/month.

Freeing players exceeding the salary cap + deactivating Bosman + FFP could give something fairer.

Yes on my current test the best result is France where there is the most movement, many of them coming back after 2 years.

The PSG took advantage of a rule I tested to extend MBappé (I allowed 2 players above the maximum salary) and I'm curious to see if Neymar will go free.

On the other hand in England there are not many moves, few arrivals and also few departures at the moment.

I am also curious to see what Messi and Ronaldo will do.

1 hour ago, Samuel77 said:

Yes on my current test the best result is France where there is the most movement, many of them coming back after 2 years.

The PSG took advantage of a rule I tested to extend MBappé (I allowed 2 players above the maximum salary) and I'm curious to see if Neymar will go free.

On the other hand in England there are not many moves, few arrivals and also few departures at the moment.

I am also curious to see what Messi and Ronaldo will do.

Messi went to Atletico doing a Suarez in one of my testgames :D

Yeah, you really need to consider doing a lot of countries to make this work in a way that the problem doesn't just move to another country.

I noticed for instance while Europe was doing a lot better in terms of money and foreign players, China suddenly had a lot of great players. Not my intention!

On 15/10/2020 at 11:51, Samuel77 said:

Great! Thank you!

I did some tests on my side but the problem is that the clubs don't release their players, so some clubs like PSG have 13 players!

So I'm trying something progressive. First of all, lower the salary cap each year (for example from 180M the first year to 100M the fourth year, etc...) and also block contracts at 300,000/month.

Freeing players exceeding the salary cap + deactivating Bosman + FFP could give something fairer.

How do you set an upper limit on contracts please?