How to Make My Wingers Cross the Ball?

I've been having this problem for ages: my wingers selfishly run with the ball and invade the area and shoot (usually missing). I want their job to be crossing the balls to strikers (they never do it!). I already edited player instructions, to no avail.

1. Any suggestions to what to look for when recruiting a proper (unselfish) winger?

2. Any suggestions on what instructions to edit on the player's page in the team's tactic page?

3. What to do in training to develop them as proper wingers (other than selecting the Crossing as Additional Focus)?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

I might be wrong but a couple of attributes that could help.

Firstly have you got options in the area for them to cross to? It might be that they just aren't seeing an option so go it alone. 

Early crosses as a TI might also help. 

In terms of the player. Good crossing and vision will help them and also check they don't have contradicting traits (cut inside could discourage the crossing part for example) 

Lastly the players around them, are they making good runs or moves in the box etc.

Coild be worth posting the tactic as this will help people much better than me help explain it more. But those above would all be factors I'd take into account. 

I find mental attributes to be very important in my wingers. Obviously I want pace, dribbling, technique and crossing but I value some mental attributes for more than the crossing ability.

On 04/05/2020 at 01:19, phd_angel said:

I've been having this problem for ages: my wingers selfishly run with the ball and invade the area and shoot (usually missing). I want their job to be crossing the balls to strikers (they never do it!). I already edited player instructions, to no avail.

1. Any suggestions to what to look for when recruiting a proper (unselfish) winger?

2. Any suggestions on what instructions to edit on the player's page in the team's tactic page?

3. What to do in training to develop them as proper wingers (other than selecting the Crossing as Additional Focus)?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Post a screenshot of your tactic, because roles don't work in isolation (and the same applies to instructions). Without taking a look at your tactic as a whole, I/we can only speculate, which is usually misleading. 

5 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Post a screenshot of your tactic, because roles don't work in isolation (and the same applies to instructions). Without taking a look at your tactic as a whole, I/we can only speculate, which is usually misleading. 

What tactic works for proper ball-crossing wingers?

Just now, phd_angel said:

What tactic works for proper ball-crossing wingers?

Many different tactics can lead to wingers crossing the ball frequently. It's not just one single tactic. If you post a screenshot of your tactic, we will be able to identify potential reasons why your wingers are failing to deliver crosses. Once the source of a problem is figured out, the problem can be solved. 

On 04/05/2020 at 01:19, phd_angel said:

I've been having this problem for ages: my wingers selfishly run with the ball and invade the area and shoot (usually missing).

Changing them to Support duty would be a good start if you want them to supply your striker, rather than attack the box themselves. Mentality and instructions aren't shown on the screenshot you posted, but anything above Balanced will result in them having a Very Attacking individual mentality, on Attack duty. There's your answer why they're shooting selfishly.

4 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Armavir 2025 b.PNG

Apart from the fact that the tactic is pretty much unbalanced overall, let's for now focus solely on your issue with the wingers shooting all the time instead of crossing the ball.

First off, not just that you are playing them both on attack duties, but you also use the team instruction "Shoot on sight". So I don't see why you are so surprised at their behavior. 

When it comes to more subtle causes of such behavior, I would emphasize instructions such as:

- run at defence, which encourages them to run with the ball even more than they would have been doing by default, which explains your complaint about their "selfishness"

- shorter passing can also contribute to them going more centrally, as shorter passing encourages players in general to play a bit closer to one another (indirectly reducing width and hence the opportunities for crossing)

And that width is already made proportionally narrower by the low team mentality (cautious), because the mentality automatically affects all instructions (along with individual player mentalities). 

So these were the most obvious factors contributing specifically to the unwanted behavior by your wingers. But your tactic as a whole also looks far from being well-constructed, so it definitely needs some sort of overhaul. 

I don't know what style of football you are trying to implement, so it's hard to offer any more specific advice at the moment.

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Apart from the fact that the tactic is pretty much unbalanced overall, let's for now focus solely on your issue with the wingers shooting all the time instead of crossing the ball.

First off, not just that you are playing them both on attack duties, but you also use the team instruction "Shoot on sight". So I don't see why you are so surprised at their behavior. 

When it comes to more subtle causes of such behavior, I would emphasize instructions such as:

- run at defence, which encourages them to run with the ball even more than they would have been doing by default, which explains your complaint about their "selfishness"

- shorter passing can also contribute to them going more centrally, as shorter passing encourages players in general to play a bit closer to one another (indirectly reducing width and hence the opportunities for crossing)

And that width is already made proportionally narrower by the low team mentality (cautious), because the mentality automatically affects all instructions (along with individual player mentalities). 

So these were the most obvious factors contributing specifically to the unwanted behavior by your wingers. But your tactic as a whole also looks far from being well-constructed, so it definitely needs some sort of overhaul. 

I don't know what style of football you are trying to implement, so it's hard to offer any more specific advice at the moment.

Those instructions aren't static, as you seem to convey. I've tried a myriad of instruction setups both throughout the season and in a match, letting them be as is, or tweaking more intensively, TO NO AVAIL: wingers' behavior is essentially the same regardless of team instructions (run at defence on or off, shorter or direct passing, narrow or broader width. I've tried it all for a long while - it does NOT matter).

Sorry, mate, your feedback is appreciated but not of much help.

Edited by phd_angel

Well just looking at the player rather than the tactic, if thats the Bakaev I think it is hes LEFT FOOTED with player trait to CUT INSIDE FROM BOTH WINGS.

If you want a right winger to play like a traditional winger look for:

1. Right Footed
  2. Runs with ball down right
  3. Hugs Line

Avoid traits like cuts inside and gets into opposition area.

Tactically wide forwards (AML + AMR) in a 4141 DM Wide are expected to help the lone ST once your into the final third.  If it was a 442 with ML+MR then what is expected of them is different as the two ST's will occupy more of the central areas.  Not saying use a 442, just pointing out how other players positions in the formation can have an effect.

2 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Well just looking at the player rather than the tactic, if thats the Bakaev I think it is hes LEFT FOOTED with player trait to CUT INSIDE FROM BOTH WINGS.

If you want a right winger to play like a traditional winger look for:

1. Right Footed
  2. Runs with ball down right
  3. Hugs Line

Avoid traits like cuts inside and gets into opposition area.

Tactically wide forwards (AML + AMR) in a 4141 DM Wide are expected to help the lone ST once your into the final third.  If it was a 442 with ML+MR then what is expected of them is different as the two ST's will occupy more of the central areas.  Not saying use a 442, just pointing out how other players positions in the formation can have an effect.

Makes sense. Thanks much.

3 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Those instructions aren't static, as you seem to convey. I've tried a myriad of instruction setups both throughout the season and in a match, letting them be as is, or tweaking more intensively, TO NO AVAIL: wingers' behavior is essentially the same regardless of team instructions (run at defence on or off, shorter or direct passing, narrow or broader width. I've tried it all for a long while - it does NOT matter).

Sorry, mate, your feedback is appreciated but not of much help

I was commenting only what I saw :onmehead: