Back up player frustrated for not playing games

Hi, 

I'm playing Fm19. And I have this player I signed exclusively for back up and it is included in his contract. But now he's frustrated for not having enough playing times. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong? I played him as subs and some full 90mins on cup matches. As a back up, I don't expect to have this kind of problem. Besides he is a 33yrs old 3 star player,what did he expect. I transfer listed him after he went public. 

Edited by Craxx
Wrong words

For game time complaints, a sub appearance doesn't count as anything unfortunately.  The only backup you can reasonable ignore is the GK, the others are going to look for some league game time, otherwise you move them on.

2 hours ago, Craxx said:

Besides he is a 33yrs old 3 star player,what did he expect.

3 stars means he is a good player for your side, so it is not too surprising that he wants game time, since he will feel that he is good enough to play some games. 

As a general rule of thumb when squad building, you should not buy players who have no intention of playing somehow in your rotation. You are pretty much just inviting unhappiness when you do that. Especially if they are good enough to actually play. And if you have such a player it is almost always best to just sell him. Typically I will rotate the players I consider backup or rotation into the squad reasonably regularly. They can start in cup games or against weaker opposition. Otherwise there is little point in having the player if he is not there to play.

For pure emergency backup players, youth is best. They tend to not have issues with not starting games as much, and you can let them play games for the reserves when you are not planning to start them. Plus they are more likely to progress through your depth chart to become first team players in the future. 

2 hours ago, Craxx said:

Hi, 

I'm playing Fm19. And I have this player I signed exclusively for back up and it is included in his contract. But now he's frustrated for not having enough playing times. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong? I played him as subs and some full 90mins on cup matches. As a back up, I don't expect to have this kind of problem. Besides he is a 33yrs old 3 star player,what did he expect. I transfer listed him after he went public. 

In FM19 a "backup" player wasn't expected to play 0 games, but rather start 5-10 games a season. 3 stars also means he is a good player. In FM20 there is a role called "Emergency backup" which is role you expect of someone who does not get any games, but is there for cover and no more. That role will accept to sit out most games and only be on the bench in an emergency.

17 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

3 stars means he is a good player for your side, so it is not too surprising that he wants game time, since he will feel that he is good enough to play some games. 

As a general rule of thumb when squad building, you should not buy players who have no intention of playing somehow in your rotation. You are pretty much just inviting unhappiness when you do that. Especially if they are good enough to actually play. And if you have such a player it is almost always best to just sell him. Typically I will rotate the players I consider backup or rotation into the squad reasonably regularly. They can start in cup games or against weaker opposition. Otherwise there is little point in having the player if he is not there to play.

For pure emergency backup players, youth is best. They tend to not have issues with not starting games as much, and you can let them play games for the reserves when you are not planning to start them. Plus they are more likely to progress through your depth chart to become first team players in the future. 

I actually bought him to deal with future injuries as back up. I'm not going to play him if my first team is available. But I do play him in cup matches and as subs in the league. Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna get rid of him. He's bringing negative effect for my squad

5 hours ago, Craxx said:

I'm playing Fm19. And I have this player I signed exclusively for back up and it is included in his contract. But now he's frustrated for not having enough playing times. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong?

If I don't care much for the player and not mind losing him I just say to him that I can't offer him playing time and that I will sell him so he gets his playing time. More often then not the player will back down and say that he doesn't want to leave and will be patient. And if he doesn't he goes on the trasfer list andeven then after sometime he may decide that he no longer wants to leave.

5 hours ago, yolixeya said:

If I don't care much for the player and not mind losing him I just say to him that I can't offer him playing time and that I will sell him so he gets his playing time. More often then not the player will back down and say that he doesn't want to leave and will be patient. And if he doesn't he goes on the trasfer list andeven then after sometime he may decide that he no longer wants to leave.

That is pretty much how to handle backup players. I also make sure I have someone on my radar who I can replace him with as a backup were I to sell him.