Breaking the bus

As I see that in the forum we are a lot having trouble or struggling against oppositions that park the bus, would be nice for us if experienced users give tips to break defensives block that park very low at the pitch.

There are so many factors in play that it's virtually impossible to offer any specific advice. And I personally tend to avoid more general types of advice, simply because it's often misleading. There is no universal recipe such as "do this" or "do that". Each case is different.

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

There are so many factors in play that it's virtually impossible to offer any specific advice. And I personally tend to avoid more general types of advice, simply because it's often misleading. There is no universal recipe such as "do this" or "do that". Each case is different.

I understand what you mean but let me give you an example if I can explain myself.

Lets suppose that the opposite sit very narrow and plays a low block so they let me come into their field, how can I look for penetration? Is better to WBIB or to shoot in sight? Are passes into space work? Should I look for more width and try to run at defense?

6 hours ago, Vinay17 said:

Is better to WBIB or to shoot in sight? Are passes into space work? Should I look for more width and try to run at defense?

• Work Ball Into Box: Could be counterproductive against deep formations (e.g. 4-4-2 DM). There won't be much space as it is and even when your players finally manage to find some, they will be encouraged to remain patient and recycle the ball. I use it when I outnumber opposition in the final third (e.g. 4-2-3-1 vs. 4-2-4) and have plenty of passing options.
  • Shoot On Sight: I wouldn't necessarily start with it, especially not on higher mentalities, which could make your players super wasteful, but you could use it in the final minutes if everything else fails. One of the instructions I haven't experimented much with (although I imagine this year it could be useful, with the amount of 30-yard screamers flying in); I only tend to use it occasionally when protecting result, to prevent my players being too picky, losing the ball and getting countered.
  • Pass Into Space: Instead of passing to feet, players will look to make passes into space; which there is none, if the opposition is defending deep (the whole point of defending deep is to restrict space). Can be good against teams that play an aggressive game and press high up the pitch, but could result into a lot of intercepted/wasted passes against defensive teams.
  • Width: Definitely one of the options against defensive (deep and narrow) teams. Ideally, you want to stretch them and create horizontal pockets of space between their players. You don't necessarily need your whole team to be wider though, sometimes one or two wingers (Stay Wider and Run Wide With Ball instructions locked in) can do the job.
  • Run at Defence: Also one of the options, if you have decent dribblers. Running at defenders will force them to commit, which could A) pull a defender out of position while he rushes out to close down or B) force a foul. I like using it against teams I notice are committing a lot of fouls or have yellow cards.

There's usually two options against teams that park the bus:

• Simply throw everything at them and hope something sticks (commit more players forward and create overloads)—risk of which is you overcommit and get countered

or

• Play an extra patient game and hope you can create more quality chances, instead of wasting possession—risk of which is your players won't be creative enough on the day and will just waste time

A few examples:

• A supporting striker dropping deep and pulling defenders out of position while they follow him
  • Runners from midfield creating overloads
  • Wide players stretching play
  • Lower mentality to encourage more patient play (can be offset with more Attack duties)
  • Higher mentality to encourage more risk taking (can be offset with Support duties)
Edited by Zemahh

6 hours ago, Vinay17 said:

I understand what you mean but let me give you an example if I can explain myself.

Lets suppose that the opposite sit very narrow and plays a low block so they let me come into their field, how can I look for penetration? Is better to WBIB or to shoot in sight? Are passes into space work? Should I look for more width and try to run at defense?

Rashidi who is well known on here has a youtube channel which has a lot of excellent content. I believe how he breaks down stubborn teams is covered in either or both of these vids. Personally if I see them narrower I will drop either the line of engagement or the defensive line too if I am high up to try and draw them out, or I might widen my attack players to try and stretch the defenders. I will also use the hit early crosses to try and make use of my forwards superior attributes and get in between the defensive players. As a first I will widen my attack and see how that goes before trying the other things.

8 hours ago, Vinay17 said:

I'd flip the question and ask what are your players good at?

I just banged in 10 against Newcastle's 541 in first season with Man Utd with no transfers playing a fast attacking style with a mid block.  I didn't try and play slower / more patient as my players aren't those type of players, they're quick technical players with traits that will negatively affect playing more patient (WBIB will do nothing to stop long shots if players have Shoot From Distance).  In this case the out of possession instructions were as important if not more important then the in possession instructions, as the mid block helped create space and then I wasn't afraid to attack quickly.   If I had a different team/players I might play a high block and try to force mistakes and have more fluid movement to create space.

As has been said, there's not right answer for every situation.  You have to play into your strengths and put your players in the best situation possible.

2 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

I'd flip the question and ask what are your players good at?

I just banged in 10 against Newcastle's 541 in first season with Man Utd with no transfers playing a fast attacking style with a mid block.  I didn't try and play slower / more patient as my players aren't those type of players, they're quick technical players with traits that will negatively affect playing more patient (WBIB will do nothing to stop long shots if players have Shoot From Distance).  In this case the out of possession instructions were as important if not more important then the in possession instructions, as the mid block helped create space and then I wasn't afraid to attack quickly.   If I had a different team/players I might play a high block and try to force mistakes and have more fluid movement to create space.

As has been said, there's not right answer for every situation.  You have to play into your strengths and put your players in the best situation possible.

Care to share that tactic? I’ve never come close to scoring 10 in this version of FM. Would be interested in seeing the instructions you’ve given your team.