Cutbacks - How to do them?

Hey all. 

I'm currently playing around with a few different 4141 DM tactics which are all working great, one thing I'm struggling to define is my style of play.

I want to build a team around creative centre mids who are the heartbeat of the team. The idea is to get the ball to them, then work it out to the flanks where a wide player either hits and early cross or more importantly cuts it back to the onrushing midfielder for a shot from the edge of the box. The thing is I don't know how best to build this. 

I've tried narrow and wide, focus passing on both centre and flanks the problem is I'm not seeing that focus on cutbacks to onrushing midfielders no matter what I do. Sometimes it works, but more often than not I just get long balls into space or shots from angles.

Any help greatly appreciated.  

7 hours ago, djjoshiejosh said:

I've found that having low crosses, and look for underlap as well as roles that attack the channels from midfield like CM-A or Mezz-A really help emphasise cutbacks from the wide wingers

Im going to try this tonight. Thanks!

I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it now, but as @djjoshiejosh said look for roles like Mezzala or even RPM in CM area.
I remember that during beta you'd see fullbacks cutting back constantly when they are unable to cross and it worked pretty good, now it seems like they toned it down by a lot and it's similar to how it was on FM19, although with not as many blocked crosses.

2 hours ago, Salsa666 said:

Is the over/underlap only for wb running outsider/inside? Or does it work for AML/R on su with attacking wb? Meaning wb Waits for AML/r running.

I mostly use inverted wingbacks who have been recipients of cutbacks but from the winger I have see my advanced wingbacks cutting the ball back from the byline to hit my AMCs who are running the channels

3 hours ago, Salsa666 said:

Is the over/underlap only for wb running outsider/inside? Or does it work for AML/R on su with attacking wb? Meaning wb Waits for AML/r running

No, the overlaps/underlaps are about the AMR/L holding the ball for his FB/WB while he makes an over/underlapping run. Btw, you can create natural over/underlaps, without using the TI.

I find that when you set crossing to "Low" you get more cut backs. You also want to make sure there is a good chance for them to do these. Quite a few of my systems employ low crosses to encourage cutbacks. You also want to make sure that the roles help with this.  Sometimes when there is enough support for the winger or the wingback, they can work themselves into good positions to do cutbacks. So its going to be a combination of crossing instructions and roles and duties.

Limiting yourself to low crossing can also limit the kind of crosses you may see, so its a good idea to consider why you choose a specific instruction. There are times when i just depend on the roles and duties, because i do not want to limit myself to a specific crossing style because I may a tall striker in the box who could benefit from floated crosses or a fast striker who could do with whipped crosses against a slow defence. Safe bet - Mixed with the right combination of roles and duties.

Interestingly i avoid using WBIB against stacked defences, because there is usually next to no space and I tend to play with high lines, and yet we do cutbacks. FM20 should be easier for most people if they think about the roles and duties carefully, it really is very easy. Yesterday I did a stream using AC Milan with viewer submitted tactics. We played a different tactic for each game on the way to a league and cup double. Most times tactics don't need much tweaking, they generally just need a bit of role/duty optimisation.

Getting my wingbacks on both side set to fewer risky passes has resulted in a lot of cutbacks. I usually play a one striker system and he isn't tall enough so it might be that the WBs don't see a clear crossing opportunity and look for cutbacks for the onrushing midfield players.