[FM 20] Wigan Athletic - The Crusty Pie

Milkmanhole

24 minutes ago, shakey.bridge said:

Lol, well you are playing us tomorrow and with our home form you may continue your unbeaten run.

1 away win since October 2018 - doubful !

Edited by batch

@batch thank you for the reply! I didn't realize that they're doing pretty bad in real life! On paper the squad looks pretty decent to be honest. And wow, 1 away win since 2018 is pretty sad...hopefully i'll do a bit better.

@shakey.bridge thank you also for the reply! As of this time of writing, the result is 1-0 in your favor, so much for that unbeaten run for us huh!

So here is an update containing the first team, any criticisms are welcome! Forgive my mediocre editing skills lmao.

YAaxsM2.jpg

Here's an update for my ideal tactic and setup! Next update will hopefully be about transfers (if i do any) and pre-season results. Thanks for reading, and if you're also using Wigan as your FM20 team, let's share opinions and stories!

iwiypzC.jpg

Edited by Milkmanhole

• 2 weeks later...

How is your save going?

I’ve just lost in play-off final in 1st season (Mulgrew and Gelherdt my best two players!) but think I’ve seriously messed up the summer, have taken a break to research before continuing!

Got rid of high earners who didn’t play/perform and those out-of-contract. Was left with a very small squad. Then got offers for Jacobs and Lowe that I couldn’t turn down (7.5/4.5) but didn’t spot the board was only giving me 10% of the income!

Got Sterling back on loan as well as Brewster, Tosin Adebasiro, Chong and Van De Berg but squad still very light. Started putting bids in for random free transfers but they’re pretty much panic bids so want to pause before continuing. 

After getting so close in 1st season I’ll be fuming if I mess the 2nd season up!

15 hours ago, eencae said:

How is your save going?

I’ve just lost in play-off final in 1st season (Mulgrew and Gelherdt my best two players!) but think I’ve seriously messed up the summer, have taken a break to research before continuing!

Got rid of high earners who didn’t play/perform and those out-of-contract. Was left with a very small squad. Then got offers for Jacobs and Lowe that I couldn’t turn down (7.5/4.5) but didn’t spot the board was only giving me 10% of the income!

Got Sterling back on loan as well as Brewster, Tosin Adebasiro, Chong and Van De Berg but squad still very light. Started putting bids in for random free transfers but they’re pretty much panic bids so want to pause before continuing. 

After getting so close in 1st season I’ll be fuming if I mess the 2nd season up!

Good going mate, getting to the play offs is some achievement. I've just started a Wigan save, I am still in Pre Season at the moment assessing and sorting etc, It seems a really well balanced squad and I am looking forward to seeing how Gelherdt develops, I watched Wigan at our place a few weeks ago and they were really unlucky to lose, they were all over us, missed a penalty and 2 sitters, Gelherdt ran us ragged when came on as sub. Can't believe Blackburn let Mulgrew out on loan, his set piece delivery is outstanding.

I was surprised I did so well, started quite poorly but form improved as the season went on and steadily climbed the table and sneaked in play-offs. Lost to WBA who finished 3rd and miles ahead of 4th, so no great surprise. Just a simple 442. Started 2nd season well, Chong and Brewster are doing great. Gelherdt went about 10 hours without scoring, but has now started to score again. Don't like how small and weak my squad is though, poor management on my behalf, but the board not releasing the cash I've raised to strengthen has not helped! Finances are really poor and players approaching the end of contracts are wanting big rises. Imagine I'll have to sell Gelherdt (worth £12M but minimum fee of £25M and plenty Premiership clubs interested) but will be screwed as Brewster is only on loan and Kieffer Moore is rubbish (don't think Target Man works at all in FM20).

In real-life we are in a bad position - seem to play well most games but as soon as we concede we collapse. Real lack of confidence. I think in FM-speak we lack determination and leadership!

Great to see little Wigan getting a thread, I had a successful 2 seasons, reached the playoffs in both seasons, just missing out on Automatic promotion in the second. I then got head hunted by Southampton. With the players they have it just shows how much they are underachieving this season. 

There is a post of my time with wigan on page 3 of the english football league thread, post 167. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I completed my first season with Wigan Athletic yesterday. Finished 2nd with 90 points. Got pushed by Leeds towards last 5 6 games. I signed a striker in January as an impact sub, ended up keeping him out of the squad. Gelherdt scored 10 12 goals, while Jacobs led the goalscoring charts.  Also, sent Massey, Roberts on loan. Garner and Fox couldnt make the bench either.  

From a minimal budget, I now have 30 mn and 180k to spend on players for the premier league. Thought they'd give me 5 6 mn, 30 mn is good tho. Thinking of buying Phil Jones.