"Ethnic clubs" in lower leagues

marcoz76

In Switzerland, we have quite a few lower league clubs which were founded by immigrants and whose players are mainly foreigners. I would like to reproduce this in FM, by having these teams filled with generated players coming from other nations.

I noticed that without changing anything in the settings of these clubs in the database, some of them are indeed producing foreign players. The name of the club seems do be the main criteria.

For example the FC Chile Sports (based in the city of Lausanne) generates chilian players:

Chile.thumb.jpg.997ed4105ad73adcac608d01e261bb45.jpg

The FC Iliria, based in Solothurn, generates lots of albanian players (Iliria was an old kingdom once located in actual Albania:

Iliria.thumb.jpg.6a187271461759e2bc7506f0bed52ed5.jpg

Once again, I didn't do any special settings to obtain this result. Only the names of the clubs seem to do the trick. 

But this doesn't always work. For example, the Türkischer FC Olten does not  generate a single turkish player: 

Olten.thumb.jpg.2c390e0eeabbbb19a105d1208c95a9da.jpg

Same thing with the FC Srbija 1968 in Basel: not a single serbian player in it...

I tried to change the countries in which the clubs are based:

Olten2.thumb.jpg.0520e82d48979560c7229fbfddf1054e.jpg

But this had absolutely no effect on the nationality of the generated players...

Any clues?

2 hours ago, marcoz76 said:

In Switzerland, we have quite a few lower league clubs which were founded by immigrants and whose players are mainly foreigners. I would like to reproduce this in FM, by having these teams filled with generated players coming from other nations.

I noticed that without changing anything in the settings of these clubs in the database, some of them are indeed producing foreign players. The name of the club seems do be the main criteria.

For example the FC Chile Sports (based in the city of Lausanne) generates chilian players:

Chile.thumb.jpg.997ed4105ad73adcac608d01e261bb45.jpg

The FC Iliria, based in Solothurn, generates lots of albanian players (Iliria was an old kingdom once located in actual Albania:

Iliria.thumb.jpg.6a187271461759e2bc7506f0bed52ed5.jpg

Once again, I didn't do any special settings to obtain this result. Only the names of the clubs seem to do the trick. 

But this doesn't always work. For example, the Türkischer FC Olten does not  generate a single turkish player: 

Olten.thumb.jpg.2c390e0eeabbbb19a105d1208c95a9da.jpg

Same thing with the FC Srbija 1968 in Basel: not a single serbian player in it...

I tried to change the countries in which the clubs are based:

Olten2.thumb.jpg.0520e82d48979560c7229fbfddf1054e.jpg

But this had absolutely no effect on the nationality of the generated players...

Any clues?

maybe try the trick with creating the same city but change this city country to desired one (like new Basel but based in France).

That's a workaround that seems to do the trick. 

I'd still say that the reason some immigrant clubs are the way they're described is because it's hard coded. IMO, if more clubs are immigrant clubs it should be mentioned to the country researchers. 

1 hour ago, Fredrik said:

That's a workaround that seems to do the trick. 

I'd still say that the reason some immigrant clubs are the way they're described is because it's hard coded. IMO, if more clubs are immigrant clubs it should be mentioned to the country researchers. 

but researchers know it and set specific type of newgens for these foreign clubs as far as I know.

The trick with copying the cities and assign them other countries actually worked, thank you! The only small issue is that the "greyed out" players from the teams still have typical swiss names. An albanian guy named Kurt Zwicky, that's quite a funny thing! :D

Also, it is indeed hard coded because I had to modify the cities only for the clubs that I created myself. Those who were already in the main database actually produce foreign players by default, and the "greyed out" ones have typical names from their countries.

I think there should be a setting in the editor to sort this out without creating fake cities.

1 hour ago, marcoz76 said:

The trick with copying the cities and assign them other countries actually worked, thank you! The only small issue is that the "greyed out" players from the teams still have typical swiss names. An albanian guy named Kurt Zwicky, that's quite a funny thing! :D

Also, it is indeed hard coded because I had to modify the cities only for the clubs that I created myself. Those who were already in the main database actually produce foreign players by default, and the "greyed out" ones have typical names from their countries.

I think there should be a setting in the editor to sort this out without creating fake cities.

It works but im finding after a few years ( I holidayed 8 years ) they start to employ local players who are not ethnic

11 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

You may be able to fix the greyed out name issue by copying the cities and putting them in a cloned "region" which is set to the alternate nationality? Something like that

Thanks for the advice but this is slowly getting too fakeish for me. :stop: I'll do with the greyed out turkish Heiri Güntenspergers and wait for an (eventual) proper option in the editor. Cheers!

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this to see if other people have tried this. I was sure I had found other threads about similar endeavours, but I cannot find any of them when searching for them. Duplicating the city is not an innocent thing to do, especially if you manage in a country or confederation with fairly strict foreign rules. For example, when loading the lower Chilean divisions there's a club named Deportivo Sokol that is hard-coded to only generate Croatians (not sure they're a Croatian club IRL even though they do use the chequerboard kit and are nicknamed "Los Croatas" but anyway). Since they don't have any real player, you need to Add Players to Playable Teams... and fairly obviously they only have Croats. They therefore cannot register a full squad due to foreign player rules in Chile (and the whole of South America to be fair). After 5 or so seasons some of their remaining players do end up picking up the Chilean passport, but obviously they keep getting youngsters who obviously cannot play for the club for a good five years until they get the passport.

Where am I going with that? Well, on top of the aforementioned caveats, you can end up with fairly difficult if not nigh unplayable teams if they happen to have a foreign player base. One would assume that in hard-coded cases, they would at least be generated with both passports, but alas it isn't the case. But that's just one additional thing to note on top of what was said in the previous posts. I'm still curious about the possibilities and whether other people have found tips and tricks that makes it work a bit more smoothly.

Edited by Xavier Lukhas

I've seen the same happen where foreigners rules are not aligned. In the example of Switzerland or Germany the Spanish or Portuguese clubs work because of the EU membership but Turkish or Albanian/Kosovar clubs won't work unless you add players first(with the requisite dual passports)