[FM20] Stuniverse's FM20 Adventure

Stuniverse

Thursday 13th April 2023

Hibernian v K Racing Club Genk - Euro Cup II Quarter-Final, Second Leg
K Racing Club Genk lead 2-1 on aggregate

Team Selection

EC_QF_2L_Genk_selection.thumb.png.39c482ca32bfd75f439770782badb8e6.png

HibsView: Just the one change.

Stuniverse: Yes. Lawrence Shankland was looking sharper in training and returns up front for Lewis Morgan. Overall, we didn't do too bad in the first-leg and, hopefully, we'll be able to grab the initiative at Easter Road with our fans behind us.

HibsView: A striker for a winger. Does that signal a change of approach?

Stuniverse: Genk tend to play 4-2-3-1 and we matched up like-for-like against them in the first-leg. Earlier in the season, when we drew 1-1 with them here in the Group Stage, we also went 4-2-3-1. Tonight we need to win so we thought we'd surprise them by not playing 4-2-3-1.

Post-match: Hibernian (1) 1-1 (0) K Racing Club Genk
K Racing Clb Genk win 3-2 on aggregate

EC_QF_2L_Genk_report.thumb.png.dcafd2f8130f2e286a52d6241d639507.png

HibsView: A draw on the night, unfortunately, wasn't good enough. Your thoughts?

Stuniverse: Genk are a very good team and they showed that tonight. If you look at the stats, I'm sure they will show that Genk dominated possession and had far more chances than us, but it's what you do with that possession that counts. I thought we defended superbly and looked more dangerous, even though we had less chances.

We got off to a great start in the 4th minute, when Rushian Hepburn-Murphy scored a stunning individual goal. As a front line we were pushing them back as they played out of defence, Rushian won the ball back, held off two challenges, dribbled forward and from outside the penalty area unleashed a thunderous shot past their goalkeeper into the roof of the net. We defended well after that and, I thought, deserved our 1-0 lead at half-time which would've been enough to see us through on away goals.

After the break, Genk pushed forward more and they hit the woodwork on 47 and 61 minutes so we decided to go more defensive and shore things up as we'd done successfully against Celtic and Rangers recently and Saint-Etienne in the previous round.

EC_QF_2L_Genk_451.thumb.png.5a6421d21f30fac15d2a2d326ba969f1.png

We went 4-5-1 very defensive. We continued to defend superbly and, if I'm being honest, we were confident of keeping the clean sheet that would have seen us through. But then, a mistake cost us. On 72 minutes, Genk had a corner, Sam Field missed his header, and they made it 1-1 on the night and nosed ahead 3-2 on aggregate.

EC_QF_2L_Genk_4231_very_attacking.thumb.png.294f65ef9e3fbd8b8e504b581a33cc6c.png

We then went more attacking ourselves, 4-2-3-1 very attacking, even pushing the wing-backs further forward in the closing minutes, but Genk defended very well and we couldn't break them down.

Jindrich Trpisovsky (K Racing Club Genk manager):

EC_QF_2L_Genk_post_jindrich_trpisovsky.thumb.png.9db6554aa7fb26c68066078027bd82d4.png

Stuniverse (Hibernian manager):

EC_QF_2L_Genk_post_stuniverse.thumb.png.03d7dfa2215e9821a983d58398108191.png

HibsView: How do you reflect on your Euro Cup II adventure?

Stuniverse: It's disappointing that we're out, of course, disappointing to go out because of a mistake, but the players can look back on what they've achieved and be very proud of themselves. Nobody expected Hibernian to get this far. I hope the Hibees fans have enjoyed the European adventure and are looking forward to another one next season.

For now, we focus on the Premiership. We're guaranteed 3rd place and we have five games to win as many points as we can in an attempt to hunt down Rangers and 2nd place.

EC_QF_2L_Genk_stats.thumb.png.1c2ee8447116edad74e27ba972df64e2.png

EC_QF_2L_Genk_analysis.thumb.png.c7cbeb166667f11eafe179c4582f208c.png

Please LIKE if you enjoyed this update and FOLLOW the thread so you don't miss future updates.

Edited by Stuniverse

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday 15th April 2023

Pre-match v Hamilton Academical (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (1)

Match Preview

SPCG1_Hamilton_media.thumb.png.9f352121c35a1e280b7eb7aea4f2b47b.png

HibsView: Celtic won 2-1 at Motherwell to clinch the title today and Rangers beat Hearts 2-0.

Stuniverse: Well we were never going to catch Celtic in any case, but the Rangers result means it's vital we beat Hamilton at Easter Road.

SPCG1_Hamilton_preview.thumb.png.84b02261a202c5d947b635edc09e1406.png

SPCG1_Hamilton_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.d552aa164dd9208c2ae0b6b59555a0be.png

Please LIKE if you enjoyed this update and FOLLOW the thread so you don't miss future updates.

Edited by Stuniverse

16 April 2023

HEPBURN-MURPHY EXTENDS HIS HIBS STAY

HibsView: Hibernian have extended the loan of Aston Villa's 24 year-old striker Rushian Hepburn-Murphy until the end of next season. Hepburn-Murphy, who has been the back-up to Lawrence Shankland and Fraser Hornby this season, has contributed with 12 goals, four assists, and an average rating of 6.96 across all competitions this season. 

Hepburn-Murphy was outstanding in the Euro Cup II Quarter-Final second-leg against Genk and our sources at the cub inform us that performance convinced Hibs manager Stuniverse to get this deal done early before anybody else could come in for the Aston Villa striker.

20230416_RushianH-M_1.png

20230416_RushianH-M_2.png

20230416_RushianH-M_3.png

20230416_RushianH-M_4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Sunday 16th April 2023

Hibernian v Hamilton Academical - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (1)

HibsView: You've already beaten Hamilton three times this season, can you make it four?

Stuniverse: I hope so. With Rangers winning yesterday, we need three points to close the gap to four. If we're to have any chance of finishing 2nd this season, this is a must win game.

Team Selection

SPCG1_Hamilton_selection.thumb.png.58b68440482b97084fcad81349b84d3c.png

HibsView: Four changes from the side that played Genk in midweek.

Stuniverse: Yes. Changes on both wings, Kyle Magennis (right) and Glenn Middleton (left) come in for Ben Marshall and Curtis Jones. In the middle, Bright Enobakhare comes in for Stevie Mallan. Up front, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy is very unlucky to miss out as Fraser Hornby returns to the startling lineup.

Post-match: Hibernian (0) 1-2 (1) Hamilton Academical

SPCG1_Hamilton_report.thumb.png.d1eddbc1389f20a9bc83fd35c6b54f98.png

HibsView: What a time for Hibernian to lose or the first time in 12 against Hamilton?

Stuniverse: I'm annoyed with this defeat and I've made the players aware of my feelings. It's the first time this season I've been annoyed with them, but they shot themselves in the foot with carelessness and, dare I say, an element of complacency out there. We looked comfortably in control of the game and then two bad mistakes gave us an uphill task and Hamilton are too good a team to be giving a two-goal head-start to.

First, 13 minutes in and Bright Enobakhare pushed one of their players in the back from a corner. Penalty, no question, and totally avoidable. Hamilton scored and we were a goal down.

Two minutes into the second-half, after we've done our best to motivate the players and give them confidence during the break, and Sam Field gives the ball away in midfield, Hamilton attack, James Husband tries to cut out the cross and only manages to deflect the ball into the path of their striker who makes it 2-0.

SPCG1_Hamilton_433.thumb.png.c0270818484d725bfebf9cb7d364c3bf.png

We made a couple of substitututions and went 4-3-3 attacking. On 53 minutes, Stevie Mallan won possession back in their half, and Anthony Ralston rounded off a neat move by pulling us back to 2-1.

HibsView: You substituted Enobakhare after about half an hour. Was he injured?

Stuniverse: No.

SPCG1_Hamilton_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.20f3fa64d66af5cdaad16082a0abc5d0.png

SPCG1_Hamilton_inquest.thumb.png.398ba91588e50ed870d7a197fd2abdc9.png

HibsView: It's now five games since Hibs last won in the Premiership. You've lost three and drawn one of your last four Premiership games. What do you put it down to?

Stuniverse: I don't know for definite, but I'm wondering if complacency set in once we established the big points gap to 4th place and then guaranteed ourselves a 3rd-place finish. I'll tell you this for nothing, I'm taking a long, hard look at my players right now to see which ones are capable of playing for this great club and taking Hibs onto the next level. I need players who aren't content with 3rd and want to be challenging Celtic and Rangers on a regular basis.

SPCG1_Hamilton_lgTab.thumb.png.8c339bb7c0a6a959d32ffd9e062371fd.png

HibsView: Can you still finish 2nd?

Stuniverse: Until it's mathematically impossible we won't give up... but it looks a remote possibility right now.

SPCG1_Hamilton_stats.thumb.png.49c73e2e1e8068a4322dc456d22e345f.png

SPCG1_Hamilton_analysis.thumb.png.97b1757eba6d32edf2738d2be535cad4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Friday 21st April 2023

Pre-match v Celtic (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (2)

Match Preview

SPCG2_Celtic_media.thumb.png.cb62414665ce43d6726068c238f1eea9.png

HibsView: You're about to go to Celtic Park on a woeful run of form. What do you put it down to?

Stuniverse: I was somewhat annoyed after the Hamilton game and may have overreacted in the heat of the moment because my players have been magnificent all season, although I do wonder if there's been an element of complacency setting in or, more likely, having secured 3rd place they thought the job for the season was done. More likely, though, it's a case of a long, hard season, including a long, tiring European campaign, catching up in the players legs.

SPCG2_Celtic_form.thumb.png.527b1904fb40a52a9bac487e178df830.png

HibsView: Do you have any injury or fitness problems ahead of the Celtic game?

Stuniverse: We have no long-term injuries, thankfully, but half a dozen players or so are carrying knocks picked up this last few days.

Unavailable:
Kyle Magennis (stubbed toe)

Doubtful:
Adam Jackson (hamstring-90)
Paul Hanlon (thigh-90)
Ben Marshall (achilles-90)
Curtis Jones (thigh-90)

SPCG2_Celtic_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.0de80d98df1cd299150f5eb0a5d12023.png

Neil Lennon (Celtic manager):

SPCG2_Celtic_pre-lennon.thumb.png.51f47176742a1d09492c4d192f80878f.png

Edited by Stuniverse

9 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Wrong time to lose form but you are guaranteed a great season. Where do you think the problem lies?

Thanks, @kidthekid. You are right it has been a great season, although we are on a bit of a downer at the moment. Last season: Celtic 95 points, Rangers 91, Aberdeen 61, Hearts 60 with Hibernian 5th on 59, two points ahead of Falkirk. I expected to be battling it out with Aberdeen, Hearts, Kilmarnock and Motherwell for 3rd and was aiming to be the best of the rest in 3rd.

To have achieved 3rd so comfortably is incredible and to be in contention with Rangers for 2nd was beyond my wildest dreams, so it feels like an anti-climax and a massive disappointment to have fallen off the pace in the hunt for 2nd, but I need to remember we’ve massively overachieved this season just being 16 points clear of 3rd and even in the discussion for 2nd at all.

To be honest, I think there’s three main problems:

1. overall quality strength in depth
  2. the European campaign, and
  3. my attacking 4-4-2 system.

1. Compared to the squad I had at Falkirk, the Hibs squad is on another level and I have good, strength in depth with players capable of performing at a level in the top-half of the SPL, but a few of the back-ups are still Championship standard. But, I only have a handful of players of genuine Celtic-Rangers type quality and when they’re missing through injury, suspension, fatigue, we notice the difference.

2. In the same way as happened on my FM19 Derby DoF save I think the European campaign has taken its toll on the squad, particularly the players like Shankland, Hornby, Mallan and Field who are nailed on star player quality starters and have, due to 1. above, been overplayed this season. We also had two games in close succession that went to extra-time and penalties. A long, hard season is now catching-up on them and other players too. For a number of weeks my medical team have been saying Shankland and Hornby need a rest. Is it coincidence that a jaded Shankland, on 37 goals in all competitions, hasn’t scored in his last eight games?

3. Although I don’t consider my attacking 4-4-2 system to be a gung-ho system, it is a system that usually sees us score more goals than most teams, but also concede more goals than most. With the goals we’re scoring starting to dry up, the goals we’re conceding haven’t dried up, and that’s had an adverse impact on results.

For next season, assuming I can survive this poor run of form (Celtic away next up) to still be manager of Hibernian next season, I think I need to find:

• a way to rotate the squad more, keeping it competitive and fresh
  • a different system to play that gets results, without conceding so many goals.

That’s my thoughts...

I would love to hear your thoughts, @kidthekid, plus thoughts from anybody else who’s following my FM20 Adventure.

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 22nd April 2023

Celtic v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (2)

Team Selection

SPCG2_Celtic_selection.thumb.png.2831f05ac7139b5682b9a15a2bd2155a.png

HibsView: I hear you've had a busy medical team this week and make six changes.

Stuniverse: Yes. Some of the changes are enforced through injury and some are tactical. Three changes in the back-four with Ryan Porteous, Connor Johnson and Stephen MacKay replacing Paul Hanlon (thigh), Adam Jackson (hamstring) and James Husband. In midfield, Stevie Mallan and Ronan Darcy, replace Bright Enobakhare and Glenn Middleton, with Rushian Hepburn-Murphy coming in for Kyle Magennis (toe).

Post-match: Celtic (4) 5-0 (0) Hibernian

SPCG2_Celtic_report.thumb.png.ebec6280cba2507a4d86e31c2a56eb17.png

HibsView: Talk about making a slow start... What happened?

Stuniverse: We were awful today. We were missing our captain Paul Hanlon, and our vice-captain Adam Jackson, and it showed. Nobody took any responsibility out there for organising the back-line. Celtic were up for it from the kick-off, whereas I think we were still asleep in the dressing room or packing our bags for our summer holidays. Celtic blew us away inside two minutes and we were shell-shocked for the rest of the half. We improved after the break, more disciplined, more organised, but the game was over two minutes in and that's not acceptable. 

We made a terrible start. Celtic attacked us from the kick-off, we cleared the ball out of our penalty area, only for Dennis Praet to ping it back into the top corner after we'd been underway a mere 20 seconds. We were screaming at the players to concentrate but Celtic cut through us like a knife through butter and were 2-0 up inside two minutes. After half-an-hour, Ronan Darcy needlessly pushed one of their players in the back and we're 3-0 down from the penalty spot. A lovely Celtic move and it's 4-0 on 37 minutes.

HibsView: Was it a mistake to try out a tactic you'd never used before away at Celtic?

Stuniverse: Possibly, although it wasn't the system's fault we were half-asleep, not focussed and not concentrating from the kick-off. And we had played this system second-half against Hamilton and worked on it in training this week. These are professional football players we're talking about, they should've done much better.

We did revert to our 4-4-2 system for the second-half and we were improved and actually looked like a football team after the break. We only conceded one goal in the second-half. On 54 minutes, we didn't react to a routine ball over the top and it's an easy goal for Celtic for a 5-0 lead.

SPCG2_Celtic_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.cb9962fc8feccbf6ed573c8b1adf7b25.png

Neil Lennon (Celtic manager):

SPCG2_Celtic_post-lennon2.thumb.png.9babc05babe24508c9f027e737f62efd.png

SPCG2_Celtic_lgTab.thumb.png.9dae18360c011cc55bf507170c19c360.png

HibsView: Hamilton beat Rangers 1-0. Are you still in with a chance of catching them?

Stuniverse: Not based on our current form. No.

20230422_form_table.thumb.png.12370403ae1f6f50def66909d3a26f57.png

HibsView: Are you worried this poor run of form could cost you your job?

Stuniverse: No. Not in the least. What a ridiculous question to ask when we're going to finish in the top three this season. This interview is over.

SPCG2_Celtic_stats.thumb.png.ed11937e93b4da690f91067cb7532e0b.png

SPCG2_Celtic_analysis.thumb.png.cb54aed0fe65426ffb0ae3eae6b13b3a.png

Edited by Stuniverse

28 April 2023

Murmurs of discontent as Hibernian hit bad run of form

HibsView: Despite being guaranteed a 3rd placed finish in the Premiership, murmurs of discontent are growing amongst Hibs supporters after Hibernian, managed by Stuniverse, have not won in five matches.

20230428_discontent.thumb.png.c9e2f02538310dd8654d13c0199ae55d.png

20230428_discontent2.thumb.png.7e57ebe16155b8383ae3327c18420db2.png

Friday 28th April 2023

Pre-match v Motherwell (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (3)

Match Preview

SPCG3_Motherwell_media.thumb.png.a726faa491a876b34c4be4d6ff5e583a.png

HibsView: You're not the only team struggling for form at the moment, your opponents tomorrow have just one point from their last five matches. Home at Eater Road, can you get that overdue win against Motherwell?

Stuniverse: Well in our three games against Motherwell in the Premiership this season, we've won one (2-1), drawn one (1-1) and lost one (0-1) which suggests we're pretty even. Motherwell will be wanting to end their bad run just as badly as we want to end ours. Our win did come at Easter Road and we're home tomorrow so, with the Hibees fans cheering us on, hopefully we can get back on track again with a victory.

SPCG3_Motherwell_preview.thumb.png.5184973d5e1436168e0c0ab28058ecd4.png

Unavailable:
Liam Gordon (knee)

Doubtful:
Paul Hanlon (thigh-90)
Ben Marshall (achilles-90)
Fraser Hornby (ankle-90)
Curtis Jones (thigh-90)

SPCG3_Motherwell_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.8d1119b73cf79b9bae70275c318df524.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 29th April 2023

Hibernian v Motherwell - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (3)

Team Selection

SPCG3_Motherwell_selection.thumb.png.c514be6645f6bcf1be57a24ec44dea40.png

HibsView: Four changes today.

Stuniverse: Yes. Part of the problem at the moment is we're picking up a lot of niggly injuries and with players missing out,or returning after treatment, we're not able to get any consistency with our team selections. Our captain Paul Hanlon (thigh) and vice-captain Adam Jackson (hamstring) return to the heart of our defence for Connor Johnson and Ryan Porteous. Fraser Hornby misses out with an ankle issue so Daryl Horgan gets a start. Lewis Morgan also returns for Ronan Darcy.

Post-match: Hibernian (1) 1-1 (0) Motherwell 

SPCG3_Motherwell_report.thumb.png.c2248669375da5506452273753680ee2.png

HibsView: In the end, neither you nor Motherwell got the win.

Stuniverse: No. And that was probably a fair result. I thought we had the better of it but we didn't work their goalkeeper enough. Their goal was avoidable, but we weren't able to defend it. Overall, I thought it was a dour game and neither of us did enough to win it.

It took just two minutes for a fit again Lawrence Shankland to break the deadlock with his first goal in ages when he headed in Stevie Mallan's corner. I was delighted for him.

On 56 minutes, Grant Thomson ran through the middle, cut us open, and equalised. It was a superb, individual goal, but we should have stopped him.

SPCG3_Motherwell_inj.thumb.png.f044423ea4ecc0c618d17cae553e0bb3.png

HibsView: Horgan limped off early and looked in some discomfort. How does it look?

Stuniverse: Daryl Horgan's sprained his ankle ligaments, my medical team think, so I doubt we'll see him again this season. It was disappointing, just 16 minutes in, as we were comfortably on top at that point and Daryl was instrumental to the way we were playing.

SPCG3_Motherwell_lgTab.thumb.png.d9f5b1424f528ad90622f3d46f5a35b1.png

HibsView: Well that's it. With two matches left to play, Hibs are going to finish 3rd. Rangers beat Celtic 1-0 and you can no longer catch them. Likewise, nobody can catch you. So third it is.

Stuniverse: That was the aim, at the start of the season, to be the best of the rest so it's satisfying to have achieved 3rd place. We also showed signs of being able to compete with Rangers, if not Celtic, and that bodes will for the future. We just need to break out of this slump in form.

SPCG3_Motherwell_stats.thumb.png.a731fa8ccb3185d447e1ad1575f98e7b.png

SPCG3_Motherwell_analysis.thumb.png.e4124681bfef8cbbc6e12412b968d0e6.png

Edited by Stuniverse

30 April 2023

HIBERNIAN - MAY FIXTURES

HibsView: Hibernian will conclude the 2022/23 Premiership season with a home match against Rangers and the fourth Edinburgh derby of the season against Hearts at Tynecastle Park.

1_fixtures_Jun-Aug.png

2_fixtures_Sep-Nov.png

3_fixtures_Dec-Feb.png

20230430_Mar-Apr_fixtures.thumb.png.cd20feb898db60b0ee33c1e9538673f0.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Friday 5th May 2023

Pre-match v Rangers (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (4)

Match Preview

SPCG4_Rangers_media.thumb.png.35e6407c9e22d0193bdf33404ab2df57.png

HibsView: It's your final home game of the season tomorrow. After six Premiership matches without a win, can you give the Easter Road faithful a win to celebrate?

Stuniverse: We've beaten Rangers twice already this season and we're confident we can get a win but, of course, Rangers are a very good side so it will be a difficult challenge for us

SPCG4_Rangers_preview.thumb.png.057c005afd8e4a6e839da42d776c8f9a.png

Unavailable:
Daryl Horgan (ankle)

Doubtful:
Paul Hanlon (thigh-90)
Fraser Hornby (ankle-90)
Liam Gordon (knee-90)
Curtis Jones (thigh-90)
Jack hendry (calf-90)

SPCG4_Rangers_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.ba97fb1d88ccda2870e0ce381b7c7c0f.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 6th May 2023

Hibernian v Rangers - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (4)

Team Selection

SPCG4_Rangers_selection.thumb.png.a04081c0146989acf8708171e84e6c7f.png

HibsView: Three changes today.

Stuniverse: Yes. We're slowly getting closer to a point when niggling injuries will ease up and give us the opportunity to select an unchanged team. Ben Marshall starts on the right-wing for the injured Daryl Horgan (ankle). On the other wing, Curtis Jones (thigh) replaces Lewis Morgan. Up front, Fraser Hornby (ankle) comes in for Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.

Post-match: Hibernian (4) 7-2 (0) Rangers 

SPCG4_Rangers_report1.thumb.png.52ed72d6294f4821537cb265836bf45f.png

SPCG4_Rangers_report2.thumb.png.1cedc0776f1394208545e70a743e7a4d.png

HibsView: Your first win in seven matches and what a win!

Stuniverse: We were absolutely outstanding today. The players showed how much quality they've got and how good they can be today. What we've got to do, is work out how we can be more consistent and turn some of the losses we've had this season into draws or wins. We're seven points behind Rangers, 24 points behind Celtic, and we have to find a way to close those points gaps next season.

It took just 90 seconds for Lawrence Shankland to give us the lead, after being put through by Stevie Mallan. On 21 minutes, Ben Marshall made it 2-0 after a superb chipped pass from Curtis Jones. On 36 minutes, Curtis Jones threaded a pass through to Lawrence Shankland who gave the goalkeeper no chance in making it 3-0. Three minutes later it was 4-0 when Fraser Hornby headed in Anthony Ralston's cross.

On 51 minutes, Rangers pulled a goal back through a great run and shot by Ryan Kent. Two minutes later, we were 5-1 up, good work by Sam Field and Stephen MacKay down the left, set Fraser Hornby up to score his second goal of the game. On the hour mark, Rangers got a second goal when Ryan Kent headed in a free-kick. On 77 minutes we made it 6-2 with Lawrence Shankland completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Three minutes later, Lawrence Shankland scored his fourth goal of the game, acrobatically half-volleying in a Stevie Mallan free-kick at the far post. 

HibsView: You substituted your goalkeeper with about half-an-hour to go. Was Marciano injured?

Stuniverse: No, there was no injury. Amazingly, we were very comfortable with a three goal lead over Rangers at the time (it was a four goal lead when we made the decision) and we decided we'd take a look at Kieran O'Hara in goal as we haven't managed to give him much playing time this season.

Stuniverse (Hibernian manager):

SPCG4_Rangers_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.13c267d1c2ce8f66d2d6a812efd9b381.png

Graeme Murty (Rangers manager):

SPCG4_Rangers_post-Murty.thumb.png.d9759cc74d87b637368e3054bc42f884.png

SPCG4_Rangers_lgTab.thumb.png.69b35f99f2a2bbd31d0e20a850cfdf15.png

HibsView: You've beaten Rangers three times out of four this season, but you're seven points behind them with one game to play. Is that a sense of frustration for you?

Stuniverse: Absolutely. We've proven to be able to get the better of Rangers in head-to-heads but in the other 34 games, against the other teams in the Premiership, Rangers have done considerably better than us. That gives us something to work on for next season.

SPCG4_Rangers_stats.thumb.png.dd7069953f3ae67208c88f2df61b9099.png

SPCG4_Rangers_analysis.thumb.png.5fd1681145f318737ff79f58f74100eb.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 13th May 2023

Pre-match v Heart of Midlothian (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (5)

Match Preview

SPCG5_Hearts_media.thumb.png.040f6f8acff615e3dadb4d3aad67e338.png

HibsView: You've won all three Edinburgh derbies against Hearts this season. Can you make if four out of four at Tynecastle Park tomorrow?

Stuniverse: It would be absolutely amazing for our fans if we could. Imagine that? Four out of four Edinburgh derby wins.  That really would be bragging rights... and all through the summer as well. The biggest of those three victories was 5-1 at Tynecastle Park, which gives us a lot of confidence. Of course, Hearts will be desperate not to lose to us four times so it won't be an easy game.

SPCG5_Hearts_preview.thumb.png.ffcb0a60580a5ab4da3e4947e1d5ca55.png

Unavailable:
Daryl Horgan (ankle)

Doubtful:
Fraser Hornby (ankle-90)
Liam Gordon (knee-90)
Jack Hendry (calf-90)

SPCG5_Hearts_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.8d2d3be01599e355d510f5fe8e6d35f9.png

John Robertson (Hearts manager):

SPCG5_Hearts_pre-john_robertson.thumb.png.7780ba2e533f63e9698a984f61d57cef.png

Edited by Stuniverse

13 May 2023

FALKIRK RELEGATED

BairnsNews: Ye Bairns fans are devastated tonight after Falkik's 1-0 defeat at Livingston confirmed their relegation back to the Ladbrokes Championship after two seasons in the Premiership.

Bairns fans will be wondering what might have been if their former manager Stuniverse hadn't left Falkirk in the summer to join Hibernian. Last season there was one place and two points between 5th placed Hibernian and 6th placed Falkirk. This season, at Hibernian, Stuniverse improved 5th placed Hibs and led them to a 3rd placed finish, whereas first Brian Rice (191 days in charge) and then Tommy Wright (124 days in charge) took 6th placed Falkirk and led them all the way down to the basement, a rock-bottom 12th in the Premiership.

20230513_RG_final.thumb.png.ca329bb6f32ff827f1069420a83bb35b.png

20230513_RG_final2.thumb.png.02250a2be0e31075796a00e7b641d0cf.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Great win against Rangers, everything is clicking again.

With regards to your question, I think your point about rotation is very valid. Hopefully the quality of the bench will be improved in the summer, so you can give your top players a rest.

As for the tactics, it looks to be working nicely, so I can't complain. Initially, I as worried about the roles of the two central midfielders, I thought a deeplying playmaker on a support next to an advance playmaker on attack may be vulnerable, but it was working nicely until recently.

38 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Great win against Rangers, everything is clicking again.

Thanks, @kidthekid. I wasn’t expecting the convincing victory over Rangers. Hibs go six games without winning and then produce a performance like that.

With regards to your question, I think your point about rotation is very valid. Hopefully the quality of the bench will be improved in the summer, so you can give your top players a rest.

Yes. Lawrence Shankland was well off it and hadn’t scored for something like eight games and I’d had about three advice warnings about him being jaded and needing a rest. I finally started resting him, bringing him off the bench only if needed, substituting him early, giving him (and the rest of the squad) two or three days off when I could, and he bounces back with four goals against Rangers (he’s now got over 40 goals for the season in all competitions). Fraser Hornby was also back, after being jaded and injured, and he scored a brace.

I think the team I selected against Rangers is probably my strongest 11. James Husband is probably my best LB, but I’m trying to give the youngster Stephen MacKay playing time there. Daryl Horgan shades Ben Marshall at RW but with Horgan injured Marshall had to play.

I have about half a dozen players I want to offload in the summer and I know where I want to strengthen. The challenge will be getting them in, and getting more Scottish players in the squad (as there were two Euro Cup slots I couldn’t fill due to HGN / HGC restrictions). I’m very interested to see what budget the Board give me for next season, but it won’t be anywhere close to Celtic’s.

As for the tactics, it looks to be working nicely, so I can't complain. Initially, I as worried about the roles of the two central midfielders, I thought a deeplying playmaker on a support next to an advance playmaker on attack may be vulnerable, but it was working nicely until recently.

I’d like to be conceding less goals, but whether that’s down to the tactics or a need for better defenders (and goalkeeper?) I’m not sure.

Edited by Stuniverse

Sunday 14th May 2023

Heart of Midlothian v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership Championship Group (5)

HibsView: As I'm sure you know by now, Falkirk, your former club, were relegated yesterday. How do you feel about that?

Stuniverse: I'm sad. Sad for Ye Bairns supporters, sad for the players I managed who are still there, very sorry for the staff who may lose their jobs now. We worked so hard, over my three seasons there, to win back-to-back promotions from League One to the Championship, from the Championship to the Premiership, and to finish 6th in the Premiership last season. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Falkirk, but my heart hurt last night seeing all that hard work we put in being thrown away. When Falkirk deservedly beat us in the 23rd round of fixtures I thought they showed enough desire to stay up, but it wasn't to be. I stand by my decision to leave though; Hibernian is a bigger club, with massive expectations and, sadly, the writing was on the wall for me when Lex Miller sold Falkirk Football Club to Grant Marr in the summer.

Team Selection

SPCG5_Hearts_selection.thumb.png.4551e8d634923452dc293bd0f2343de6.png

HibsView: You finish your first season as manager of Hibernian with an away Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle Park. As you look to win your fourth Edinburgh derby of the season, what can you tell us about your team selection?

Stuniverse: No changes. No changes at all. The players were absolutely outstanding against Rangers last time out and, for me, that's the best 90-minute shift the team has put in this whole season. They deserve to go again and try and give our supporters the bragging rights one more time.

SPCG5_Hearts_easdale.thumb.png.ea4e9195fa7de83c8b4a81863c1c27e6.png

HibsView: A new name on the bench for some fans. What can you tell us about Easdale?

Stuniverse: Marc Easdale is an 18 year-old midfielder who's impressed immensely for our reserves this season. Marc's been training with the first-team squad this last few weeks and if we get an opportunity today, we'd like to take a look at him in a Premiership game and see how he gets on. Even if we don't get to give him playing time, Marc will benefit from the whole experience of being in a match-day squad. 

Post-match: Heart of Midlothian (1) 4-0 (0) Hibernian

SPCG5_Hearts_report1.thumb.png.946d078930c6ffe458fed5b98d441dcc.png

SPCG5_Hearts_report2.thumb.png.30a23b63f9e3036fbbdcd8ea5c29576a.png

HibsView: Was that a case of After the Lord Mayor's Show?

Stuniverse: No, not really. My players just made stupid, irresponsible decisions in our own penalty area. You simply can't afford to give away three penalties and expect to get anything out of the game. I want to apologise to our fans because they've been magnificent all season and that performance the Hibees had to endure was simply unacceptable.

At half-time, though, I was quite pleased, despite being 1-0 down. I thought overall, we were playing well and Dimitar Evtimov was definitely the busier of the two goalkeepers. But then we shot ourselves in the foot again barely five minutes after the restart. At 2-0 down we pushed forward, as we had to, and Hearts picked us off. The referee was somewhat card happy, as well, which didn't help.

That said, you have to give Hearts a lot of credit. They started the season very badly and have been improving significantly since Christmas. I'm not surprised they gave us a difficult game today and, once they got their noses in front, their fans really got behind them and you could visibly see them grow in confidence out there. It's a shame we gifted them goals though, rather than making Hearts work for them.

We made a bright start and I've no idea how the ball didn't cross the line in a huge early goalmouth scramble. On five minutes though, Sam Field gave the ball away, and Paul Hanlon was adjudged to have conceded a penalty although it looked like a good, clean tackle to me. 1-0 to Hearts from the penalty spot. There was no doubt about the second penalty on 11 minutes though. I have no idea what Ben Marshall was thinking. This time, Ofir Marciano produced a spectacular save. On 23 minutes, after Lawrence Shankland put him clean through, Fraser Hornby rattled the post with a shot from outside the penalty area. On 29 minutes Sam Field lost possession just inside their half, but he tracked the runner all the way back into our penalty area and made an unbelievable tackle just as their player was about to shoot. We could've had three or four goals in the first-half if it hadn't been for Evtimov, who made some outstanding saves to deny us a goal.

Within a minute of the restart, Curtis Jones nearly broke the crossbar from all of 30-yards. Incredibly, Hearts got a third penalty on 51 minutes when Sam Field mistimed a tackle. Ofir Marciano went the right way but it was 2-0. We started to chase the game at that point, as we had to, and then on 56 minutes, Hearts scored a good goal from open play an we were 3-0 down. On 73 minutes we didn't defend a corner well enough at the far post and Hearts made it 4-0 with a header.

SPCG5_Hearts_john_robertson.thumb.png.9bac8da48ec9b6b1ae77ed0626f9f683.png

SPCG5_Hearts_stuniverse.thumb.png.3ede8be77e58493094e856d8c93177b0.png

SPCG5_Hearts_john_robertson2.thumb.png.e4759749a9a8fa2de965027c2345b56e.png

SPCG5_Hearts_lgTab.thumb.png.922bacd8b233c4690bca0cf53ebecef5.png

HibsView: You've finished 3rd in the Premiership. How do you reflect on your first season as manager of Hibernian?

Stuniverse: I'm sure when I review it objectively over the summer, I'll take immense pride and satisfaction from what we have achieved this season. We finished 3rd, which was our aim, and we did it comfortably, a massive 15 points clear of Hamilton in 4th. We also had an incredible run in the Euro Cup II, but should have done better in the domestic Cup competitions. Right now though, the season feels like a disappointment - which, I think, shows how far we've come this season - but we beat Rangers three times out of four, were 2nd in the Premiership not so long ago, but we wasted that opportunity with relegation form over our last eight Premiership games of the season. We have to work out why that happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.

SPCG5_Hearts_stats.thumb.png.e729436d8ecb9a46c480c9001380d72a.png

SPCG5_Hearts_analysis.thumb.png.d57e2fde0f7c8dd2d16a5985e1f45b9e.png

Edited by Stuniverse

15 May 2023

HIBERNIAN - 2022/23 SEASON IN REVIEW

HibsView: The Hibernian Board are pleased with Hibernian's 3rd placed Premiership finish, which guarantees a Euro Cup II spot next season, and could end up with Euro Cup qualification if Celtic defeat Motherwell in the Scottish Cup Final.

Our sources at the club inform us there is mixed emotions in the Board Room as they were dreaming of European Champions Cup qualification at one point late on in the season.

2022-23_Board_reaction_end_season.thumb.png.e22b000caac47a26f85df05d41c2ca8e.png

2022-23_Board_Review_end_season1.thumb.png.353df1b4e379ad9ef9622b3283f85f11.png

2022-23_Board_Review_end_season2.thumb.png.bb329e16c1755aaaa3b0a6362ec5f790.png

Edited by Stuniverse

15 May 2023

HIBERNIAN PLAYER STATS - 2022/23 SEASON

HibsView: Here are the headline stats (appearances, goals, assists, average rating) for the Hibernian players this season.

2022-23_squad_stats_end_season1.thumb.png.9e77cae5b1bb7026a1834fb8871f8c91.png

2022-23_squad_stats_end_season2.thumb.png.f22b311ff7e58a4d1cba9581fd6c73b4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

15 May 2023

HIBERNIAN - END OF SEASON PLAYER AWARDS

HibsView: There was a surprise in the Hibernian End of Season Player Awards with 27 year-old midfielder Stevie Mallan (11 goals, 30 assists, AVE 7.53), edging out 27 year-old striker Lawrence Shankland (42 goals, 8 assists, 7.42) to the Player of the Season Award. 

The Hibs players are now on holiday and will report back for pre-season training on Monday 26th June 2023.

2022-23_Board_Awards_end_season.thumb.png.795665e95282f9ef6bcf18b1265c1861.png

2022-23_end_season_break_Monday26thJune.thumb.png.f154e48e6abd8a5fbd25b6c3c1981668.png

2022-23_Board_Awards_end_season_Mallan.thumb.png.791705940fcad22c53425004fef8dd27.png

2022-23_Board_Awards_end_season_Shankland.thumb.png.f45efe294f7aa46ff3b4de174eda1a2a.png

Edited by Stuniverse

17 May 2023

HIBERNIAN BOARD SET INITIAL BUDGETS

HibsView understand from our club sources that the Hibernian Board have set the initial budgets for next season at £175M (wage budget) and £5.75M (transfer budget), on a par with the budgets Hibs manager Stuniverse had to work with last season.

2022-23_initial_budgets_end_season.thumb.png.54b7fa77e07efe9d25fc10c62d772be2.png

2022-23_finances_end_season2.thumb.png.df0d9a52d604ef5e8daad4c6ebfbc102.png

2022-23_club_vision_end_season.thumb.png.acabd5f7542968a6fc8c90b1072f6f62.png

1 May 2023

DUNDEE DERBY NEXT SEASON - LIKELY?

HibsView: The chances of a Dundee derby in the Premiership next season significantly increased last night after Championship Dundee beat Ross County 3-1 in the first leg of the Premiership Relegation Playoff at the Kilmac Stadium at Den's Park. 

Dundee finished 3rd in the Championship and beat Dunfermline (3-0 aggregate) and St. Johnstone (5-2 aggregate) to reach this stage.

2022-23_RPO_1L.thumb.png.72c55a1b9d685be97db434fe6221786f.png

Edited by Stuniverse

18 May 2023

HIBERNIAN TRANSFER LIST TRIO

HibsView: Hibernian have placed three players on the transfer list - 28 year old centre-back Jack Hendry, 25 year-old attacking midfielder Bright Enobakhare and 25 year-old left-winger Kyle Edwards.

20230518_hendry.png

20230518_enobakhare.png

20230518_edwards.png

Edited by Stuniverse

19 May 2023

FIELD EXTENDS HIBS STAY

HibsView: Hibernian's 25 year-old midfielder Sam Field has put pen-to-paper on a new deal, potentially keeping him at Easter Road until the summer of 2027.

Our sources at the club inform us the main reason for the new deal was to increase or remove the £2.83M release clause for foreign clubs, which is now £8M in Field's new deal.

20230519_Field4.thumb.png.a1f23125c9c7a79b2f7ca3928c1ff894.png

20230519_Field1.png

20230519_Field2.png

20230519_Field3.png

Edited by Stuniverse

20 May 2023

HIBS QUALIFY FOR EURO CUP PLAYOFF

HibsView: Celtic lifted the Scottish Cup with a 2-0 victory over Motherwell, a result that sees Hibernian qualify for the Euro Cup Playoff. Hibs had already guaranteed themselves a place in the Euro Cup II with their 3rd-placed Premiership finish. The winners of the Scottish Cup automatically qualify for the Euro Cup Playoff, but this honour now goes to Hibernian given Celtic have already qualified for the European Champions Cup as Premiership Champions.

20230520_SCF_EC_qualify.png

20230520_SCF.png

20230520_SCF2.png

Edited by Stuniverse

20 May 2023

PREMIERSHIP LINEUP CONFIRMED

HibsView: The Premiership lineup for the 2023/24 Premiership season has been confirmed.

It's two-up two-down after Championship Dundee beat Ross County 4-1 on aggregate in the Premiership Relegation Playoff.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle won the Championship and will replace Falkirk who finished bottom of the Premiership.

20230520_SP_lgTab.thumb.png.0ff4eb2868dad7dea120af8e1245f891.png

20230520RPO_2L.thumb.png.231ca5742bd98d71146db3c4d40af5ad.png

20230520_Ch_lgTab.thumb.png.18a426008d17623d062eaef42708f10e.png

22 May 2023

PREMIERSHIP END OF SEASON AWARDS

HibsView: Hibernian's 27 year-old striker Lawrence Shankland was crowned the Premiership's Top Goal Scorer with 25 goals, nine more than his nearest rival. Shankland scored 42 goals in all competitions. Shankland also made the Premiership Team of the Year, one of only two non-Celtic players making the 11.

Hibernian's 27 year-old midfielder Stevie Mallan was 3rd in the Player of the Year Award.

20230522_SP_TopGoal1.png

20230522_SP_TopGoal2.thumb.png.6a0838f891a62b933f36a73cb45b5615.png

20230522_SP_PoY.png

20230522_SP_TeamoY.png

Edited by Stuniverse

26 May 2023

KILMARNOCK SET TO SIGN HENDRY

HibsView: Hibernian's 28 year-old centre-back Jack Hendry will join Kilmarnock on June 9th for a fee of £73K.

20230526_hendry1.thumb.png.e8e9f675c8688bec812695005cf234d9.png

20230526_hendry2.thumb.png.8f714e36c503763f840a3dfd0ddd726a.png

26 May 2023

EDWARDS MOVING TO ABERDEEN

HibsView: Hibernian's 25 year-old left-winger Kyle Edwards will join Aberdeen on 9th June 2023 for a fee of £300K.

20230526_edwards1.thumb.png.7f39e2d304519cb8e54c0bca81bc6119.png

20230526_edwards2.thumb.png.9b40c6f669b49da8e833c3f9b28b9f3a.png

22 May 2023

ENOBAKHARE JETS OFF TO BUNDESLIGA

HibsView: Hibernian's 25 year-old Nigerian attacking midfielder Bright Enobakhare will join German Bundesliga side Karlsruhe on 1st July for a fee of £1.7M.

Enobakhare is the third player sale Hibernian have announced today and we understand these sales will increase the transfer budget available to Hibs manager Stuniverse to £7.4M and bring the committed wage spending down to £145K, well inside the £170K wage budget.

20230526_enobakhare1.thumb.png.a9d5080bfac75b983eddfed55b02ba33.png

20230526_enobakhare2.thumb.png.77b10097ba33159372a5f9c8deb54b07.png

20230526_finances.thumb.png.23368f9fd3a34e1f95c4a6dfe8d41f43.png

Edited by Stuniverse

31 May 2023

JONES EXTENDS LOAN

HibsView: Hibernian have extended the loan of Liverpool's 22 year-old left winger Curtis Jones until the end of the 2023/24 season.

20230531_jones1.png

20230531_jones2.png

20230531_jones3.png

20230531_jones4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

31 May 2023

GALANTES LEAVES EASTER ROAD

HibsView: Hibernian's 22 year-old midfielder Yrik Galantes has left Easter Road after his contract came to an end. Hibernian manager Stuniverse loaned Galantes out to his former club Falkirk last season and, clearly, did not do enough at Falkirk Stadium to force his way into Stuniverse's plans.

20230531_galantes1.thumb.png.db1254a12139d306ebfaa134d51a8062.png

20230531_galantes2.thumb.png.ef69d272a5b7a28e4dca1f95af581a5d.png

20230531_galantes3.thumb.png.2afef35466ff8883d515b719943f308b.png 

Edited by Stuniverse

9 June 2023

HIBS SIGN TWO

HibsView: Hibernian have confirmed the signings of 23 year-old centre-back Robbie Deas from Ross County for £300K and 19 year-old goalkeeper John Swanson on a free transfer after his St. Johnstone contract expired. Swanson will join the Hibs reserves squad.

20230609_Deas1.thumb.png.8703f3ececca2de01f5b71914e36bf95.png

20230609_Deas2.png

20230609_Deas3.png

20230609_Deas4.png

20230609_Deas5.png

20230609_Swanson1.png

20230609_Swanson2.png

Edited by Stuniverse

On the tactics point--without really knowing your squad, a 4-3-3 (or as FM sometimes calls it, a 4-1-2-3) can provide a flexible defensive base while still letting you have some punch up top. The quality of the DM is obviously key, and I don't know what sort of quality is available in the squad/on the transfer market, but it might be something to ponder.

2 hours ago, Tajerio said:

On the tactics point--without really knowing your squad, a 4-3-3 (or as FM sometimes calls it, a 4-1-2-3) can provide a flexible defensive base while still letting you have some punch up top. The quality of the DM is obviously key, and I don't know what sort of quality is available in the squad/on the transfer market, but it might be something to ponder.

Thank you, @Tajerio. Funnily enough, usually 4-1-2-3 is one of my go-to systems on FM along with 4-2-3-1 as this is what Derby have played over the last few seasons in real life. I can’t remember if I tried 4-1-2-3 while at Falkirk but I definitely haven’t tried it at Hibs.

Is the squad set-up for it would be the question. I tend to play 4–1-2-3 with a wide front three so one out-and-out striker and two wingers, but the wingers aren’t the strongest area of my squad and also in the 4-4-2 the wingers / wide midfielders is where I get the most inconsistency and chop-and-change the most. Central midfield is one of my strongest areas, and I do play a DLP on Su in central midfield (Sam Field, usually) but haven’t tried dropping him back. I don’t think I have an out and out DM or BWM as when I put a man in front of the back-four to shore things up, on the rare occasions I did that, it was usually a DC I put there.

We’re also very strong up front with Shankland, Hornby and Hepburn-Murphy. Does 4-1-2-3 work with three out-and-out strikers?

Edited by Stuniverse

3 hours ago, Tajerio said:

I gave a more detailed response on 4-1-2-3 above, @Tajerio, but it is a good shout as I think I do need something different next season, even if it’s only balanced or positive instead of attacking on the 4-4-2, maybe cautious away from home against the big boys.

4-1-2-3 is something I may well try out in pre-season / Betfred Cup if we get a favourable Group draw.

I’m also considering a 4-4-2 diamond.

Edited by Stuniverse

On 31/03/2020 at 02:38, Stuniverse said:

Thank you, @Tajerio. Funnily enough, usually 4-1-2-3 is one of my go-to systems on FM along with 4-2-3-1 as this is what Derby have played over the last few seasons in real life. I can’t remember if I tried 4-1-2-3 while at Falkirk but I definitely haven’t tried it at Hibs.

Is the squad set-up for it would be the question. I tend to play 4–1-2-3 with a wide front three so one out-and-out striker and two wingers, but the wingers aren’t the strongest area of my squad and also in the 4-4-2 the wingers / wide midfielders is where I get the most inconsistency and chop-and-change the most. Central midfield is one of my strongest areas, and I do play a DLP on Su in central midfield (Sam Field, usually) but haven’t tried dropping him back. I don’t think I have an out and out DM or BWM as when I put a man in front of the back-four to shore things up, on the rare occasions I did that, it was usually a DC I put there.

We’re also very strong up front with Shankland, Hornby and Hepburn-Murphy. Does 4-1-2-3 work with three out-and-out strikers?

I remember 4-3-3 Narrow was a bit of a cheaty tactic a couple of FMs ago. Nobody really plays with it in real-world football, so it ought to get exploited, but I don't know how it works with FM20 really.

Now, depending on how your strikers dribble/cross and how they move, you could shunt a couple of them out to the wing. If I recall correctly Shankland is a poacher type and Hornby's something of a TM, which makes getting them into a 4-1-2-3 a little tricky, but it's doable. I'd have to see their stats to say anything else reasonable about it though.

18 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

I remember 4-3-3 Narrow was a bit of a cheaty tactic a couple of FMs ago. Nobody really plays with it in real-world football, so it ought to get exploited, but I don't know how it works with FM20 really.

Now, depending on how your strikers dribble/cross and how they move, you could shunt a couple of them out to the wing. If I recall correctly Shankland is a poacher type and Hornby's something of a TM, which makes getting them into a 4-1-2-3 a little tricky, but it's doable. I'd have to see their stats to say anything else reasonable about it though.

Thanks, @Tajerio. You remember well about Shankland and Hornby 

Stats for the leading contenders... here you go...

7. Daryl Horgan

Horgan.thumb.png.8aa37cd83c51324b1209abbf26031613.png

8. Lewis Morgan

Morgan.thumb.png.bf2f72c9a9cb711ebb77a0a735912add.png

9. Lawrence Shankland

Shankland.thumb.png.30805e2edeee32d245e487edd142ade7.png

10. Ben Marshall

Marshall.thumb.png.1bc4b029ac6efb77d4e3e52cde184581.png

11. Fraser Hornby

Hornby.thumb.png.bd7e3846bca312ea87aa96e0f3e6ef55.png

14. Stevie Mallan

Mallan.thumb.png.302c4de3a6eb754a6c94aa451cc3b649.png

15. Curtis Jones

Jones.thumb.png.6be385f56cdd4969cc31ffff2ed4ec8a.png

26. Glenn Middleton

Middleton.thumb.png.734822f3f24a475a3778424099558408.png

28. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

Hepburn-Murphy.thumb.png.0d5e6e331158c8c43f871429fdc6438a.png

29. Jahmal Hector-Ingram

Hector-Ingram.thumb.png.8981c664b230ef93777fca28dacad168.png

Edited by Stuniverse

24 June 2023

STUNIVERSE AND IDAH REUNITED

HibsView: Hibernian have announced the signing of Norwich City's 22 year-old striker Adam Idah for £2.5M (potentially rising to £4.5M) on a deal until the summer of 2027. Idah spent the last two seasons on loan at Falkirk where he was the Premiership's top goalscorer in 2021/22 with 27 goals and joint 3rd best goalscorer with 15 last season.

Current Hibs manager Stuniverse managed Idah in 2021/22 at Falkirk before moving to Hibernian in the summer. With Hibs's 27 year-old striker Lawrence Shankland winning the Premiership's top goalscorer award this season just gone with 25 goals, Hibernian can boast the top goalscorers for the last two seasons in their squad.

SPL_top_goals.png

Idah0.png

Idah0_5.png

Idah1.png

Idah2.png

Idah5.thumb.png.c95da6986735a1af3eb69cd919552a74.png

Idah3.png

Idah4.png

finances.png

Edited by Stuniverse

24 June 2023

STATURE OF SCOTTISH CLUBS

HibsView: Celtic remain the Scottish Football Club with the highest stature in the game. Hibernian's stature remains largely intact whereas, Hibs current manager Stuniverse's former club, Falkirk, has seen its stature take a sharp decline.

20230624_Scottish_Club_Stature.thumb.png.f062b6807580d875dbd48ef2fd233634.png

24 June 2023

HIBS SQUAD REVIEW - GOALKEEPERS

HibsView: In a series of updates we'll take a look at the Hibernian squad and the young players that could break through this season:

First up the Goalkeepers.

GK_squad_depth.thumb.png.4c5a10b7855922654131975a35f50538.png

1. Ofir Marciano - the 33 year-old Israeli international goalkeeper established himself as No. 1 under manager Stuniverse last season, playing in all 38 Premiership matches, earning an average rating of 6.75, and was ever-present in the Cup-ties. For the most part, Marciano performed competently but he did come in for some criticism from the fans, quite rightly so in HibsView's opinion, for some poor performances when Hibs form fell off a cliff during the last eight matches of the season.

01_Ofir_Marciano_ISR.thumb.png.37895cd1ad012a31ef0c18113a97eabe.png

13. Kieran O'Hara - the 27 year-old, Irish goalkeeper, was Marciano's deputy last season but failed to make a single start in any competition. O'Hara did make one substitute appearance, during the 7-2 demolition of Rangers, keeping a clean sheet and earning a 6.7 rating for the half-hour or so he played. After the match, Hibs manager Stuniverse said "We wanted to take a look at Kieran and see how he got on." Given that Stuniverse didn't start O'Hara in any games last season, not even the Cup-ties, or when Marciano was struggling for form, it's difficult to know whether the manager rates O'Hara or not.

13_Kieran_OHara_IRE.thumb.png.d7a43355dab68bd75d3e0183a14e5e80.png

41. Ross Doohan - the 25 year-old Scottish goalkeeper didn't make the Senior 18-man match-day squad last season but did make 14 (9) non-competitive appearances for an average rating of 6.73. At 25, Doohan is at the point in his career where he needs to be playing senior matches but whether that will be at Hibs this coming season, out-on-loan, or away from Easter Road remains to be seen.

41_Ross_Doohan_SCO.thumb.png.72cecd5f3898b6f5f32f71c6d1394dcf.png

51. Tom Ritchie - the 20 year-old Scottish goalkeeper spent last season away from Easter Road on loan at Ayr United in the Championship. Ritchie started 31 Championship matches, earning an average rating of 6.63. Ritchie is highly rated at Easter Road but whether he is ready to push for a place in the Senior 18-man match-day squad or if he may spend another season out on loan is unclear.

51_Tom_Ritchie_SCO.thumb.png.7f119985a3ad14f22ee389d52f1535cf.png

51_Tom_Ritchie_SCO2.thumb.png.78fd5f407793b2d7ecba32e9ddb4bf6a.png

TRANSFER WINDOW THOUGHTS

Hibs manager Stuniverse keeps his cards very close to his chest when it comes to transfers but what we do know is that Stuniverse is keen to  increase the percentage of Scottish players in his squad whilst lowering the average age, with the Club Vision requiring signings of 23-years old or under and develop players using the club's youth system.

20230624_Club_Vision_signings.thumb.png.b16e5c941b29c236c4e725a8f28162d8.png

That may be good news for Ross Doohan and Tom Ritchie who, despite not playing for the Hibs first-team last season, are the only Scottish goalkeepers in the squad, or it may mean a new goalkeeper being brought in during the window to go straight in at No. 1. A lot may depend on whether Stuniverse views Marciano's loss of form during the run-in as a blip or an indication that the 33 year-old is on the decline.

Either way, in the opinion of HibsView, the positions of No. 1 goalkeeper and backup are very much up for grabs with all four goalkeepers having something to prove during pre-season as they try and impress manager Stuniverse.

Edited by Stuniverse

24 June 2023

HIBS SQUAD REVIEW - FULL-BACKS

HibsView: After reviewing the Hibernian goalkeepers last time, we now take a look at the Hibs full-backs.

3. James Husband  - the 29 year-old, Englishman started more games at left-back for Hibernian than anyone else last season, but he was in and out of the team as a combination of injuries and form meant manager Stuniverse chopped and changed, and Husband never quite did enough to make the shirt his own. Husband made 28 (1)  appearances in all competitions, scoring three goals, seven assists and an average rating of 7.11.

3_James_Husband.thumb.png.369e6922f9eee71a7bf9949cb25ab5ce.png

17. Anthony Ralston - the Scottish 24 year-old's story at right-back for Hibs last season was very similar to Husband's on the other flank. Ralston made 28 (2)  appearances in all competitions, scoring three goals, eight assists and an average rating of 7.18. Ralston shared playing time and, whilst he made more starts at right-back than anyone else, inconsistent form meant he never quite cemented his place as the regular starter.

17_Anthony_Ralston_SCO.thumb.png.ba027df87cba90037f5cc532a0f0a8e3.png

21. Mitch Clark - the 24 year-old Englishman provided cover last season at both right-back and left-back, making 14 (6) appearances in all competitions, mainly at right-back scoring one goal and one assist, with an average rating of 6.78. Hibs manager Stuniverse gave Clark a run of consecutive starts at right-back two or three times during the season, but he wasn't able to keep Ralston out of the team long-term.

21_Mitch_Clark.thumb.png.6ba0c44c4904167d73603e63205cd505.png

34. Stephen MacKay - the 19 year-old Scottish left-back is highly thought of at Easter Road and manager Stuniverse saw enough in MacKay to give him his debut last season. Widely thought of as the main back-up to Husband, MacKay made 16 (2) appearances in all-competitions, scoring no goals, but getting two assists, with an average rating of 6.79. There are some questionmarks over whether Stuniverse thinks MacKay is ready given that he selected Clark over MacKay in a number of big matches.

34_Stephen_MacKay_SCO.thumb.png.afb6c5e8f581ef2b81561783397eac1b.png

53. Andrew Cowan - the 17 year-old Scottish left-back stepped up from the Reserves to train with the first-team towards the end of the season. Yet to make his senior debut, Cowan made 33 (18) non-competitive appearances, scoring 12 goals, five assists, with an average rating of 7.05. Cowan will be hoping to impress in pre-season and become a part of the first-team squad for the coming season.

53_Andrew_Cowan_SCO.thumb.png.b3312c035785feafeafcdbd7eb301e4c.png

TRANSFER WINDOW THOUGHTS

Hibs manager Stuniverse is keen to  increase the percentage of Scottish players in his squad whilst lowering the average age, with the Club Vision requiring signings of 23-years old or under and develop players using the club's youth system.

20230624_Club_Vision_signings.thumb.png.bbb65df4697cc059a04fe5c5a709bed6.png

With Stuniverse looking to build a squad primarily of Scottish players, Ralston looks set to continue at right-back unless the manager chooses to sign a new right-back. With no young right-back in the Academy even close to breaking through, Englishman Clark looks set to continue at back-up, helped by his ability to play full-back on both sides of the pitch.

At left-back though, Englishman Husband's long-term future looks uncertain with two young Scottish left-backs, MacKay and Cowan snapping at his heels, keen to break into the first-team and make the shirt theirs.

Edited by Stuniverse

25 June 2023

PREMIERSHIP REVIEW - 2023/24 SEASON

HibsView: Hibernian will kick-off their Premiership season with a home Edinburgh derby against Hearts at Easter Road.

20230625_SPL_review1.thumb.png.3588a9d31ed6615d0d6b498671d36ac8.png

20230625_SPL_review2.thumb.png.2fe445b0b5d880f8565957708fa29fc2.png

25 June 2023

HIBERNIAN'S PREMIERSHIP FIXTURES IN FULL

HibsView: The Premiership fixtures are now out and Hibs kick-off the season at home to Hearts in the first Edinburgh derby of the season. After finishing last season in terrible form - one win, two draws and five defeats in their last eight matches - Hibernian face five Premiership fixtures before hosting Celtic in their sixth league fixture and they don't face Rangers, away, until their 11th fixture.

20230625_fixtures1.thumb.png.549805fd2de10aa596c4449b9753b455.png

20230625_fixtures2.thumb.png.8c53086761e30467057dffb86ae05fd4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

25 June 2023

HIBS BOARD EXPECTATIONS

HibsView: Hibernian owner Ronald Gordon and the Board have discussed their expectations for the coming season with manager Stuniverse. Our sources at the club inform us that the expectations are to quallify for the Euro Cup via the Premiership, challenge for silverware in both domestic cups, and be competitive in the Euro Cup.

20230625_expectations1.thumb.png.b9800261f1d265282c331c6a463b59e7.png

20230625_expectations2.thumb.png.2362537babbabc1a61b17fd5b257af7d.png

26 June 2023

HIBS SQUAD REVIEW - CENTRE-BACKS

HibsView: Last time we reviewed the full-backs, we now take a look at the Hibs centre-backs, but first the overall squad depth chart across the back line.20230626_Defence_depth.thumb.png.d872e8c61d4ecfac0a0964dc0e9e84c8.png

4. Paul Hanlon - Hibs's 33 year-old Scottish centre-back captained the side with distinction last season, making 40 (2) appearances in all competitions, scoring five goals, with two assists, and an average rating of 7.00. Hanlon played on the left-side of the centre-back pairing and covered at left-back a couple of times.

4_Paul_Hanlon_SCO.thumb.png.aaacd6addb7b40ad8d72d1fa3c882d03.png

6. Robbie Deas joined Hibernian from Ross County for £300K this summer.  A Scottish U21 international, Deas made 40 (1) appearances in the Premiership for Ross County last season, scoring one goal, with one assist, and an average rating of 6.74. Clearly Hibs manager Stuniverse liked the look of him but we'll have to wait and see whether Deas can establish himself in the team.

6_Robbie_Deas_SCO.thumb.png.6a4b971c8b5f879d1a299be90455a4a2.png

18. Adam Jackson - the 29 year-old Englishman is the Hibs vice-captain and partnered Hanlon in the heart of defence when fit and healthy. Jackson made 38 (5) appearances, scoring one goal and one assist, with an average rating of 6.98. Jackson also covered a couple of times at right-back.

18_Adam_Jackson.thumb.png.4355d6661eb94d048cdf9c142a58fff8.png

19. Connor Johnson - another English centre-back, 25 year-old Connor Johnson provided cover last season, making 21 (9) appearances, scoring four goals, one assist, with an average rating of 6.88. A powerful presence in the air, Johnson caused a threat in the opposition penalty area at corners and free-kicks.

19_Connor_Johnson.thumb.png.e9c4c8e0a7c281c7444c241f10ad0923.png

25. Ryan Porteous - the 24 year-old Scottish centre-back saw plenty of action last season, making 31 (5) appearances, scoring one goal, and one assist, with an average rating of 6.96. Widely regarded as the first change centre-back, Porteous payed on both the right and the left side of the pairing.

25_Ryan_Porteous_SCO.thumb.png.12c79e93742e1d80ae2658fa8a853d1b.png

38. Liam Gordon - the 27 year-old Scottish centre-back joined Hibernian last summer from  St. Johnstone for £500K but failed to establish himself in the first-team squad, Gordon didn't make a single Premiership appearance, but did make two cup starts, with an average rating of 6.95.

38_Liam_Gordon_SCO.thumb.png.6eedcb9a1cca1e36afb230b87a4fb520.png

56. Alexander Bowden - the 18 year-old Scottish centre-back is the most likely youth player to break into the first team squad in this position. Yet to make his senior debut, Bowden made 36 (9) non-competitive appearances, scoring one goal, one assist with an average rating of 7.03.

56_Alexander_Bowdn_SCO.thumb.png.6cf278225a728c8d241262c71ccdc193.png

TRANSFER WINDOW THOUGHTS

Hibs manager Stuniverse is keen to  increase the percentage of Scottish players in his squad whilst lowering the average age, with the Club Vision requiring signings of 23-years old or under and develop players using the club's youth system.

The centre-back position at Hibernian looks like being competitive with Deas joining five centre-backs from last season. On paper, you'd expect new signing Deas to start, meaning the others are all competing for one place. Hibs captain Hanlon had a good season but, at 33, will he still have the legs for another long, hard season across the Premiership, Europe, and the domestic cups?

With so many players who can play centre-back, Hibs manager Stuniverse may well be looking to offload a player or two, but the question is who? Gordon hardly featured last season and was expected to be on his way out this summer, maybe, it's only because he's Scottish that Gordon is still at the club; Gordon has a lot to do in pre-season to work his way into Stuniverse's plans. With Stuniverse wanting a predominantly Scottish squad, despite performing well last season, perhaps it's the two English defenders, Jackson and Johnson who are most likely to be offloaded.

Edited by Stuniverse