Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Hi, am trying to install 9.2 patch but the patch fails at item 137.

Unfortunately, once I've tried installing the patch and it fails, I can't open the game again, thus I have to uninstall and reinstall the whole game over again. Have done this twice now.

Could this simply be down to a possible "blip" in my internet connection whilst downloading all 219mb of the patch? Perhaps a file within the patch has been corrupted during transfer? Unfortunately my only means of reasonably fast internet is where I live in rural Spain is a 3G connection, on a laptop, in the middle of an olive grove. The connection can fluctuate quite alot.

Anyone else have problems patching?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the second game of season, at the end of my second game my computer crashed, now when i go on and try and replay the match it locks up the whole game, the only way i can get around this is to go on holiday, just seems to be a problem with the match itself.

Quite frustrating as my assistant is useless and drew 0-0 with Middlesborough

:mad:

In the second game of season, at the end of my second game my computer crashed, now when i go on and try and replay the match it locks up the whole game, the only way i can get around this is to go on holiday, just seems to be a problem with the match itself.

Quite frustrating as my assistant is useless and drew 0-0 with Middlesborough

:mad:

Have you installed patch 9.2 & tried playing in windowed mode?

Hi, am trying to install 9.2 patch but the patch fails at item 137.

Unfortunately, once I've tried installing the patch and it fails, I can't open the game again, thus I have to uninstall and reinstall the whole game over again. Have done this twice now.

Could this simply be down to a possible "blip" in my internet connection whilst downloading all 219mb of the patch? Perhaps a file within the patch has been corrupted during transfer? Unfortunately my only means of reasonably fast internet is where I live in rural Spain is a 3G connection, on a laptop, in the middle of an olive grove. The connection can fluctuate quite alot.

Anyone else have problems patching?

Lots of people have had that problem, although more with 9.1 than 9.2 - re-downloading may help but a restart and just running it again until it works seems to be the best solution :/

My Problem is:

I Bought the Game in November it is now Feb and i haven't played it yet.

I Install it through the other option from Steam.

It goes through no problem. It then Says Failed Graphics ect. I then Install DirectX Nov 2008 thing.

After that i click on the icon on my desktop it begins to load up.

A Distant Sports Interactive icon appears on a black screen. it is very faded. An L appears on the Bottom Right hand side n begins to flash. After this the Game ultimatly Crashes and i have to close it.

Do I Need a New Game? New Graphics Card or A New Computer?

If there is another option a Free one could someone help me?

I am Desperate to play it. If i need a new graphics card where could i get one?

• Administrators
My Problem is:

I Bought the Game in November it is now Feb and i haven't played it yet.

I Install it through the other option from Steam.

It goes through no problem. It then Says Failed Graphics ect. I then Install DirectX Nov 2008 thing.

After that i click on the icon on my desktop it begins to load up.

A Distant Sports Interactive icon appears on a black screen. it is very faded. An L appears on the Bottom Right hand side n begins to flash. After this the Game ultimatly Crashes and i have to close it.

Do I Need a New Game? New Graphics Card or A New Computer?

If there is another option a Free one could someone help me?

I am Desperate to play it. If i need a new graphics card where could i get one?

What sort of graphics card do you currently have? Have you tried updating the graphic drivers?

How to Update your Graphics Drivers

This depends on your graphics drivers.

Some Computer manufacturers insist you download drivers from their own sites. Please refer to the website of your computer manufacturer before reporting issues with graphics drivers.

Here are the websites of the largest graphics cards and chipset manufacturers:

Nvidia (Gforce/Legacy)

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

ATI (Radeon)

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Intel (Onboard Chipsets)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

There are other manufacturers of graphics card drivers. If you can not find drivers for these cards they may have been discontinued. Please ask in this case as we may still be able to help.

Also have you tried running the game not through Steam? This can be done by going directly to the exe - which can be found via C: Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

I changed the view to windowed instead of full screen the last time that I was playing FM and didn't change it back when I exited the game.

I've just tried to load the game back up but a message keeps appearing that says 'fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' as well as asking me if I would like to send an error report. Does anyone know if this is because I didn't change back to full screen view? Also, is there any way of restoring full screen view without loading the game up?

• Administrators

Yeah just delete your settings folder which can be found here:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the settings folder found inside the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the settings folder found inside the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

What sort of graphics card do you currently have? Have you tried updating the graphic drivers?

How to Update your Graphics Drivers

This depends on your graphics drivers.

Some Computer manufacturers insist you download drivers from their own sites. Please refer to the website of your computer manufacturer before reporting issues with graphics drivers.

Here are the websites of the largest graphics cards and chipset manufacturers:

Nvidia (Gforce/Legacy)

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

ATI (Radeon)

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Intel (Onboard Chipsets)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

There are other manufacturers of graphics card drivers. If you can not find drivers for these cards they may have been discontinued. Please ask in this case as we may still be able to help.

Also have you tried running the game not through Steam? This can be done by going directly to the exe - which can be found via C: Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Cheers! My Computer Manufacturer is a Philips.

I Once Tried to Run the game through Steam However the game would not even start Strangely.

If You Could Direct me to Sites for Graphics card for a Computer made by Philips that would be great!

Cheers! My Computer Manufacturer is a Philips.

I Once Tried to Run the game through Steam However the game would not even start Strangely.

If You Could Direct me to Sites for Graphics card for a Computer made by Philips that would be great!

Philips may have put the box together but they don't make graphics cards - if you go to the start menu, if in vista just type 'DXDIAG' and open dxdiag.exe, in xp open the run box and type DXDIAG then run. the name and manufacturer labels in the 'display' panel will give you the details of your graphics card to find the drivers, or just post the names you see there here and someone can point you in the right direction :)

OK -so I bought FM in november - it's been working fine until a couple of days ago and I'm suddenly getting an XML parsig error - I've tried doing your solution and it appears to have no effect - even reinstalling the game seems to do nothing....please help!

Lots of people have had that problem, although more with 9.1 than 9.2 - re-downloading may help but a restart and just running it again until it works seems to be the best solution :/

Hopefully so, but the problem when it fails is that to get the game will not work. I've had to do a few reinstalls just to get the game to work again, as the unfinished patch has obviously overwritten important data.

I'll give it a good few goes as you suggest, but otherwise I may just wait until the 3rd patch and take my laptop (which is not what I use for FM but just for the net), to a WiFi hotspot where I'll get a steady connection for the download.

On a strange note, for some reason now when I close FM09, Windows Media Centre "starts". Baffling.

On the one hand I have to say that although I've not had any of the problems many have experienced to install or activate, the "out-of-the-box" version of FM09 with regards to crashes, lockups, etc... has to be the worst so far. On the other hand though, I've nothing but praise for the SI staff regarding the support and information offered in the forums. Never with any other game I've purchased, have I ever seen such a level of interaction via official forums, from the games producers. Big thumbs up to SI for that.

Philips may have put the box together but they don't make graphics cards - if you go to the start menu, if in vista just type 'DXDIAG' and open dxdiag.exe, in xp open the run box and type DXDIAG then run. the name and manufacturer labels in the 'display' panel will give you the details of your graphics card to find the drivers, or just post the names you see there here and someone can point you in the right direction :)

I Have looked at the display and it says my main driver is a vtdisp.dll

Am very confused to what this all means is that driver too old? or something other could you please let me know :)

If its too old is their still a chance for me to play football manager 2009 am sick of playing Football Manager 2008 with an editor that isn't working lol

So i would very like to play FM 09 soon. (y)

All now & patched to 9.2 so everything's fine now.

I can only put the patch problem down to a "blip" whilst downloading the first time through my fluctuating 3G connection. Drove to a WiFi hotspot where the patch downloaded at a steady 300kbps.

Thanks TheOriginalJez for the reply.

Trying to start Football Manager 2009 on my restored computer for "the first time" after reinstalling. Tried it via Steam, via the desctop icon and via the fm icon on the disc. It's says it's starting, but are disrupted or aborted without any errormessages....

Thanks

Hi guys,

Recently, when I've tried to start up the game absolutely nothing happens. Then, when I click on the FM09 icon again I get a message saying 'Football Manager is already running'. IT ISN'T :mad:

There's no sign of it on the task manager and, this being the second FM09 I've bought after the first one died, I'm fast losing patience! Any help appreciated guys

When i try to activate i get the error message -1? how can i fix this? thanks

Read the first post in this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715

Recently, when I've tried to start up the game absolutely nothing happens. Then, when I click on the FM09 icon again I get a message saying 'Football Manager is already running'. IT ISN'T

First thing, restart. If that doesn't work and you're running through steam try closing steam from the task tray and running it from program files/steam/steamapps/common/football manager 2009/fm.exe.

If not, uninstall fm and restart, reinstall FM and try again. (the restart is important).

Trying to start Football Manager 2009 on my restored computer for "the first time" after reinstalling. Tried it via Steam, via the desctop icon and via the fm icon on the disc. It's says it's starting, but are disrupted or aborted without any errormessages....

Are you patched up to 9.2? Also if you've restored it make sure that DirectX, card drivers, Java RTE etc are all up to date.

Every now and then when I am playing my laptop just cuts out, black screen and switches off. This only happens when playing this game and is very annoying.

I cannot bring myself to save the game after each fixture and shouldn't have to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Can anyone help me fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Every now and then when I am playing my laptop just cuts out, black screen and switches off. This only happens when playing this game and is very annoying.

I cannot bring myself to save the game after each fixture and shouldn't have to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Can anyone help me fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd hazard a guess at your laptop overheating - most will switch off at a certain temperature to avoid damage to the hardware. If it's software error you should be able to find out the cause by going into control panel, administrative tools, event viewer - it'll most likely appear under 'critical errors' and the time will be the time it shut down. If there's nothing there I'd suggest it's the temperature and you just have to try and keep it a bit cooler :)

I'd hazard a guess at your laptop overheating - most will switch off at a certain temperature to avoid damage to the hardware. If it's software error you should be able to find out the cause by going into control panel, administrative tools, event viewer - it'll most likely appear under 'critical errors' and the time will be the time it shut down. If there's nothing there I'd suggest it's the temperature and you just have to try and keep it a bit cooler :)

Hi Jez, thanks for this.

I have an error in the service control manager when the laptop shutdown. Do you think this is connected?

I don't have a clue when it comes to stuff like this.

Marc,

I dowloaded FM09 via your download sevice for the Mac (sigames) . It has worked perfectly. Today I decided to click 'Check for Updates' on the inroduction screen... it searched for updates and I proceeded to download them and install them on my Mac hard-drive.

On going back into the game on the introduction screen it says...

"Disk not found

Unable to find football manager 2009 disk,

please make sure it is in the drive"

Wel, I dont have a disk because I downloaded it via your good selves.

How can i continue to play the game without losing any data and making sure that the new patch is instaled?

Regards

Simon

hey, i've just installed the 903 patch for fm09, via steam

when i started the game after the installation the scrren is half blur. i mean, part of the text on the screen (from the center to the right) is blured and hard to read it

when i'm pressing alt+tab to check other application, all is working fine and readable...

i have an IBM T43 laptop and i didn't have any problems with the game before

can anyone help plz?

here some screenshots of the problem:

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/op_111/blur1-1.png

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/op_111/blur2-1.png

is there a way to get back to 9.2.0 patch if i've bought the game via steam???

Firstly, I'm running the game on a mac.

The problem is that I used the data editor to alter a transfer budget (stupid I know). I later deleted the database I'd saved. Now when I attempt to open the game it won't work - It just produced a box with this "The application Football Manager 2009 v 9 . 0 . 0 f 23552 quit unexpectedly". It offers "ignore", "report" or "relaunch" - none work.

Any ideas please?

"I am getting Error code: -1073741811. The game was working perfectly well ...but I haven't used it for maybe 2 months . Now, when I come back ...I get this ... this STEAM thing is absolutely the worst thing FM have ever done . I will seriously consider whteher I will ever buy future versions of this game .

How can I resolve this ridiculous problem ... why can't I just run it from the disc as I always have before ...downloading updates as and when I choose too ?????

Having been surprised to have been asked yet again for my Activation Code. Having then checked it on the SI site and then downloaded the 'problem solving' zip file ..I find I am STILL unable to run this game ...as I had done, without problems, after again following ludicrously complicated and singularly inefficient processes at the outset.

Dreadful !"

I posted this message on 11th February ... and also sent a copy to SI Games support and to the recommended people on this site. No reply from anyone at all .

At the moment I have a game into which I had put considerable amount of time and effort - I have no wish to uninstall and re-install if that means losing the progress I had made. The game was working fine when I last used it about 3 months ago ...and now ...it might just as well be a toilet roll . As a computer game it is totally redundant-unuseable. I cannot load it , start it , continue it ...or ANYTHING. How can a company issue such a product, take our money and provide a product which is unfit for use ????

Can ANYONE help. ?????

For the last couple of weeks i had been playing football manager 09 online, a network game with my brother, it took me days to configure my router, get a static ip address and open ports etc and finally we managed to have a full season as we were pretty much on it 24/7, however, the game has now been updated with the new patch 9.3.0 and immediately after the update i have gone onto fm09 to load my game up as normal and my brother is now unable to connect, does anyone have any ideas what i can do to get it back on as i have tried all sorts and it still keeps saying the same 'unable to connect'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

"I am getting Error code: -1073741811. The game was working perfectly well ...but I haven't used it for maybe 2 months . Now, when I come back ...I get this ... this STEAM thing is absolutely the worst thing FM have ever done . I will seriously consider whteher I will ever buy future versions of this game .

How can I resolve this ridiculous problem ... why can't I just run it from the disc as I always have before ...downloading updates as and when I choose too ?????

Having been surprised to have been asked yet again for my Activation Code. Having then checked it on the SI site and then downloaded the 'problem solving' zip file ..I find I am STILL unable to run this game ...as I had done, without problems, after again following ludicrously complicated and singularly inefficient processes at the outset.

Dreadful !"

I posted this message on 11th February ... and also sent a copy to SI Games support and to the recommended people on this site. No reply from anyone at all .

At the moment I have a game into which I had put considerable amount of time and effort - I have no wish to uninstall and re-install if that means losing the progress I had made. The game was working fine when I last used it about 3 months ago ...and now ...it might just as well be a toilet roll . As a computer game it is totally redundant-unuseable. I cannot load it , start it , continue it ...or ANYTHING. How can a company issue such a product, take our money and provide a product which is unfit for use ????

Can ANYONE help. ?????

If you reinstall and use the direct Uniloc authentication rather than Steam do you get the same error?

If you reinstall and use the direct Uniloc authentication rather than Steam do you get the same error?

He can reinstall the game as you suggest and then patch up to 9.3, whilst also retaining the save games he has. All he has to do is go into the savegame directory and either move it or make a copy and keep it in another folder while he uninstalls/reinstalls.

ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

When launching the game you receive the following Error: “FM.exe application error. The application has failed to initialize correctly (0xC0150002). Click on OK to stop the application.

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Hi,

I have installed the game on my computer but fails to launch it agian and again. I have tried with the solutions above and also updated Java, but the problem is still there. When i try to launch FM i get an error message as follow:

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.23544 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.0.0.23544 Offset: 00bfbf57

Please help, what do I need to do?

Thanks

Right, here's my problem, it may have been covered but I don't have time to read through 49 pages of posts to find it, so I apologise in advance.

I bought the game in December, just after my birthday. It worked great, for a month, and then it came up with error [-821] which, following the tips on this page i managed to get it working.

So, it comes up to a month after I re-installed it and error [-821] came up and I came back to this site and followed the instructions. However, this time, error [-819] came up and there doesn't seem to be any fix on this site for it (bearing in mind i read through the first two pages only :(

Can someone help me please? Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------------------

You are receiving an Error [-821]

Scenario: Install and activate with activation code on Steam and it works then launch the game, SoftAnchor asking to re-enter activation code.

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

-----------------------------------------

I first installed via Steam, afterwards uninstalled steam (didn't work) and installed via PC...

After 1 week of playing I received the message that my trial period was over...

I couldn't activate with my correct key --> tried the activation tool --> got the '-821' message... Then tried the above, uninstalling everything and reinstalled but however, my key is still not working and I'm still receiving the '-821' message....

Could pls someone help me because for the moment, I totally didn't have any play time and my '€45' is wasted...

Thanks!

Timeuw

My whole game has been destroyed by the patch 3.0.

Originally I didnt want to download it but was automatically updated by steam.

I wanted to play a new game with the 2.0 patch but it was all different to the previous version.(set stats for certain staff opposed to random etc etc) I uninstalled my FM and then reinstalled. However by doing this through steam I had all the patches automatically put onto my FM.

Then I decided to delete steam from my computer and install FM the other way. I have done this and FM default patch runs fine. I went online to download patch 2.0 (bittorrent) and now I cannot play with this patch.

Please can someone help me!!!

Can I load steam up and again and how can I install FM to be at the default stage and not automatically update??. i.e. only update with the patches I download.

Can someone tell me how to correct the FM currently installed so that I can play with the 2.0 patch?

When I start my FM the msg below comes up before it loads up. Please help as as you can tell I am not technical and just want to manage my team.

---------------------------

Warning

Could not use database location '/c:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/football manager 2009/data/updates/update-920/db/920' - reverting to the default location

OK

I downloaded the SDK thing and it tries to load but all i get is a black screen with the loading sign flickering for about 10mins, then it closes.

yeahh i've got the same thing happening to me.

any tips on how to deal with it?

much appreciated :)

Try this:

Hope it works. :)

Hi there thanks 4 the reply but i cant find the install certificates?! Where do u find it?

Iv been looking at so many ways 2 fix these problems and i keep gettin the internet 1 the majority of the time. Im gettin really annoyed about all these problems every1 seems 2 b gettin. Its ridiculous!

Right i had this game loaded on my old laptop and it went piffft so im trying to get this on my new one i followed the deactivation of the URL and tried again but it keeps showing up unable to connect the internet when i enter my product key even though i am..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Archived